New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Wiring Sanity Check

ANSWERED
Highlighted
Contributor

Wiring Sanity Check

I currently have Xfinity Internet but have been using Layer3TV for our TV provider. I’m not thrilled with it and am thinking about going with X1.  We currently have a Layer3 DVR in our family room and wireless boxes in two bedrooms. I would love it if I can just replace the L3 DVR with an Xfinity DVR and replace the L3 wireless boxes with Xfinity wireless boxes.  The proposed wiring is below.

Also, I currently have my own modem (Netggear CM700) and wireless router (ASUS AC1900). Will those support X1 TV?

Will this work? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Re: Wiring Sanity Check

The XB3 is a combo router/modem. Your diagram is solid as long as the 2 spots for Xi5 can get a good wireless signal.
View answer in context
xfinity wiring.png
Official Employee

Rclewen wrote:

I currently have Xfinity Internet but have been using Layer3TV for our TV provider. I’m not thrilled with it and am thinking about going with X1.  We currently have a Layer3 DVR in our family room and wireless boxes in two bedrooms. I would love it if I can just replace the L3 DVR with an Xfinity DVR and replace the L3 wireless boxes with Xfinity wireless boxes.  The proposed wiring is below.

Also, I currently have my own modem (Netggear CM700) and wireless router (ASUS AC1900). Will those support X1 TV?

Thanks!

No it won't. You would need to swap out your present cm700 for an XB3. Your modem/router won't work with the Xi5 boxes.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Rclewen wrote:

Thanks!

No it won't. You would need to swap out your present cm700 for an XB3. Your modem/router won't work with the Xi5 boxes.

Thanks! How about the wiring? Is that accurate assuming that I get an XB3? And, I haven’t looked up the XB3 yet. Is it a combo modem/wifi router?

Official Employee

The XB3 is a combo router/modem. Your diagram is solid as long as the 2 spots for Xi5 can get a good wireless signal.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Thanks!  No issues with signal strength with the Asus wifi router Smiley Happy

...ron

Xfinity Events:
WATCHATHON 2018... See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation