Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Will the Xi5 work with an Actiontec Moca Adapter and Xfinity XB6 in Bridge Mode

Frequent Visitor

Will the Xi5 work with an Actiontec Moca Adapter and Xfinity XB6 in Bridge Mode

I had X1 gear installed in my home yesterday and my old cable modem was replaced with an Xfinity XB6/Arris TG3482G gateway device.

In order to connect to one of my televisions, the installer added an Xi5 box.

I have been using an Edgemax Edgerouter Lite on my network and would prefer to keep that in place, however, two routers, i.e., the XB6 and the Edgerouter in tandem creates problems for me, for example, my Vonage VOIP stopped working.  If I place the XB6 in bridge mode, my network behaves properly, but the Xi5 stops functioning since the Moca capability of the XB6 isn't present in bridge mode.

I was wondering if I could add an Actiontec Moca Adapter to my network as a means to connect the Xi5 box and then place the XB6 in bridge mode or perhaps just replace the XB6 gateway with an Xfinity compatible Docsis 3.1 cable modem.

Service Expert

Re: Will the Xi5 work with an Actiontec Moca Adapter and Xfinity XB6 in Bridge Mode

I don't have an Xi5, but I see it is a wireless device.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xi5-TV-Box/td-p/2860100

You might be able to swap the Xi5 for an XG2 which uses a coax connection for free at your nearest Xfinity Store.

I have no clue whether this helps; I was looking at the Actiontec Moca adapter yesterday and couldn't find the installation instructions.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Will the Xi5 work with an Actiontec Moca Adapter and Xfinity XB6 in Bridge Mode

The set top box I received from Comcast connects to the second ethernet port on the XB6 cable modem and has an hdmi output.  I assumed that box was an Xi5 but I might have the wrong designation.

As to your question, the Actiontec is essentially plug and play.  Connect the ethernet port of the adapter to your working network and a coax cable to the other.  If you buy one of the adapters with a coax passthrough you can connect the video output of the passthrough to your TV etc.  Then, at other locations where you want to extend your network connect a coax cable to the adapter and then you should be able to pick up your hard wire ethernet signal from the ethernet port of the adapter.  No software or other fiddling needed. 

Service Expert

RERobbins wrote:

The set top box I received from Comcast connects to the second ethernet port on the XB6 cable modem and has an hdmi output.  I assumed that box was an Xi5 but I might have the wrong designation.

As to your question, the Actiontec is essentially plug and play.  Connect the ethernet port of the adapter to your working network and a coax cable to the other.  If you buy one of the adapters with a coax passthrough you can connect the video output of the passthrough to your TV etc.  Then, at other locations where you want to extend your network connect a coax cable to the adapter and then you should be able to pick up your hard wire ethernet signal from the ethernet port of the adapter.  No software or other fiddling needed. 

the actiontec adapters all (including the newest MoCA 2.5 version) require you to use a non-used channel to link the two moca<>ethernet adapters to connect a device (like the output of your gateway/router) to a remote point that provides an 'extension' of your router as an ethernet connection. The 3 MoCA enabled Xfinity gateways actually works as a hub for the xi5 device and as such has the channel frequency set and the password to join or create an X1 MoCA network mesh.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

So that seems to suggest that the Actiontec Moca Adapter cannot be used as I had hoped.  Right?

Service Expert

read through these posts (all pages). may give you some idea. basically not yet determined/shown-to-work etc.

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31170481-Connectivity-MoCA-finally-enabled~start=30

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

That's great information.  Thank you very much.  I'm trying to shed the Xi5, but if I can't, I may put this one to the test.

Frequent Visitor

A subsequent Comcast tech was able to redo things so I could use a traditional set top box in lieu of the Xi5 which put me in a position of not needing to rely on Moca which meant I could replace the XB6 gateway with a Docsis 3.1 cable modem of my choosing.

I was concerned that with gigabit service Comcast might insist I use their supplied gateway device.   Thankfully that’s not the case.  I purchased an Arris Surfboard 8200 which Comcast was able to provision over the phone.  The pure web based provisioning process didn’t work for me. 

The bottom line is that the video side of things works well and I have my own cable modem used in conjunction with router, wireless access points and voip of my choosing.  

Service Expert

You can select your reply as the solution to the thread.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation