Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Will replacement X1 box lose my saved DVR shows??

Contributor

Will replacement X1 box lose my saved DVR shows??

My main X1 box has been having issues with remote response, and I need a replacement.  If I replace my main X1 box, will my saved DVR shows all be lost?  I have a ton on there for myself and my daughter who watches them at night.  

Official Employee

Re: Will replacement X1 box lose my saved DVR shows??

PSUGOLD wrote:

My main X1 box has been having issues with remote response, and I need a replacement.  If I replace my main X1 box, will my saved DVR shows all be lost?  I have a ton on there for myself and my daughter who watches them at night.  

Sorry but yes you will.

Contributor

Really?  I thought with the cloud based DVR this would not happen.  I have a TON of shows tapes for my daughter and this would really be bad to lose them all.

Expert

PSUGOLD wrote:

Really?  I thought with the cloud based DVR this would not happen.  I have a TON of shows tapes for my daughter and this would really be bad to lose them all.

if you do not delete the items before sending the box back (exhange) the cloud DVR will retain its copies of the recordings. If tech swaps it out be sure he is clear on not manually deleting them before swapping out the set top box.

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

If you do not delete the items before sending the box back (exhange) the cloud DVR will retain its copies of the recordings. If tech swaps it out be sure he is clear on not manually deleting them before swapping out the set top box.

I am getting the box sent to me and I am swapping it out myself.  So if I leave everything alone and swap the box out, I will be able to still have the shows saved on my new box to watch at home, or just on my portable devices?

Gold Problem Solver

Have you done any reading in this forum???

Just because you have sluggish remote performance, why do you think your DVR needs to be replaced? There are many solutions for sluggish remote performance.........

PSUGOLD wrote:

Official Employee

Just portable devices and online viewing. Your settings and scheduled recordings will repopulate on the new DVR 

Expert

Don't swap a DVR out if you don't want to lose the saved recordings.

As Andrew said, they will only be viewable with mobile devices and online (https://xtv.comcast.net/ftue/login).

Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

Have you done any reading in this forum???

Just because you have sluggish remote performance, why do you think your DVR needs to be replaced? There are many solutions for sluggish remote performance.........

PSUGOLD wrote:

It is not the remote though, it is the box.  I used the remote with a different box and it worked 100% fine.  I moved a different box onto the TV and the remote worked fine with that one, no issues at all.  When I put the DVR box back, the sluggishness continued and the box was not reading clicks.  I hit a button 2-3 times before the green light would register, and this was ONLY on that box.  The remote was fine with all other boxes, and the other boxes were fine on that TV.  I would gladly move the boxes around but with Comcast only the main DVR box can pause live TV which I need to have.

Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

As Andrew said, they will only be viewable with mobile devices and online (https://xtv.comcast.net/ftue/login).

I would LOVE to not swap out the boxes, i hate losing everything, but it is really hard to watch TV when it takes forever to change channels and most of the time you need to correct button clicks that do not read in the correct order you need them.  If there is another fix, i would love to do that first.

Official Employee

PSUGOLD wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

I would LOVE to not swap out the boxes, i hate losing everything, but it is really hard to watch TV when it takes forever to change channels and most of the time you need to correct button clicks that do not read in the correct order you need them.  If there is another fix, i would love to do that first.

In your other thread  we suggested re-pairing (or pairing if it never has been)the remote to the cable box. Have you tried that?

Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

PSUGOLD wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

In your other thread  we suggested re-pairing (or pairing if it never has been)the remote to the cable box. Have you tried that?

I just tried that and it did seem to help.  Trying to pair it back to my Harmony 1 now which was also having issues.  Thank you.

Contributor

OK, the box is having issues again, making a loud noise all the time, sounds like from the hard drive.  I am going to get a new main X1 box.  Question is, i know I will now lose my DVR shows on that box, but will the other boxes that have access to the DVR also lose the shows if they are not being replaced?  Most of my DVR now is my daughter's shows, and she watches them on one of the secondary boxes.

Expert

The recordings are saved on the DVR and the companion boxes access

those recordings from there, so you will lose the recordings when you replace the DVR.

Future scheduled recordings can be refreshed from the Comcast servers.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

The recordings are saved on the DVR and the companion boxes access

those recordings from there, so you will lose the recordings when you replace the DVR.

Future scheduled recordings can be refreshed from the Comcast servers.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-dvr-cloud-technology-general-faqs/

Thanks.  Xfinity phone support told me those recordings will still be on the other boxes.  I guess they were wrong.  Shocker.

Expert

I am constantly amazed at what a Comcast CSR will come up with.

Your experience is not the first one we have seen, nor will it be the last.

It is really sad that the Comcast X1 users know more about the system than some of the CSR's.

Edit:

OTOH, i found a very knowledgable Xfinity Home CSR.  But she was at home when she took my call and she had XHoime installed and went through her menus to help me.

That is good customer service.

Expert

Do not delete the recorded shows and you will still be able to access the recorded content on your cloud DVR using any smart device or computer in your home.

New Poster

RoberyWy - I have the same issue, but a different question.  I'm installing the DVR myself. On the Xfinity DVR menu is a "sync DVR" command.  I'm wondering if, before I return the old DVR to Comcast, I would hook up the old DVR in one of the other rooms, could I sync the new DVR and pick up the recordings?

Expert

usafcole wrote:

RoberyWy - I have the same issue, but a different question.  I'm installing the DVR myself. On the Xfinity DVR menu is a "sync DVR" command.  I'm wondering if, before I return the old DVR to Comcast, I would hook up the old DVR in one of the other rooms, could I sync the new DVR and pick up the recordings?

'sync DVR' just programs that DVR for upcoming events 'now'. The sechduler scheduler updates DVRs throughout the day, this function ensures the DVR (replacement) is programmed to record immediately based on scheduled events.

With the 2.23p9s2 2.3p9s2 and later firmware and Menu XRE 1.65.04 and later the cloud recordings appear on your x1 equipment just like local recordings do. 

the differences so far that I've noted are on the status bar just in front of the normal DVR word on right side there is a little white puffy cloud symbol. The playback begins a few seconds slower and response is similar to playing on demand programming in use of pause, slo-mo, and the various FF/RW speeds.

Regular Visitor
Expert

1 Year Old Topic now Closed.