Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

When will we get 4K and/or HDR?

New Poster

When will we get 4K and/or HDR?

There were published report of a July 4th release date and also of targeting the Rio Olympics.  Have seen comments about the x i4, x i5 and x i6.  When will be see any progress on getting 4K and/or HDR?

Accepted Solutions
Administrator

Re: 4k broadcast

What UHD/4K content is currently available with XFINITY TV?
At this time, 4K content from XFINITY is only available to customers via the Ultra HD Sampler app on select Samsung and LG Smart TVs. For more information, please check out What is the Ultra HD Sampler App on Samsung and LG Smart TVs?.

When will more UHD/4K content become available?
We are currently working on a new device that will allow our X1 customers to view more UHD/4K content.

How to watch TV shows with the Ultra HD Sampler App:

1. Download the app from Samsung's Smart Hub or LG's Smart World.

2. Upon opening the app, you will see a loading screen.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_002.pngThe loading screen displays the XFINITY logo and the message "All content in this application, including advertising content, is provided by Comcast and its partners."

3. Log in using your XFINITY username and password.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_003.pngUsername screen with the instruction "Please enter your comcast.net username. Choose "Next' when finished to enter your password." Use the arrow buttons on the remote to choose a letter and press the OK, Select, or Enter button to select it. When finished, use the arrow buttons to highlight "Next" in the right-hand corner and press the OK, Select, or Enter button.

4. Select the content you wish to watch from the Watch Now menu.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_004.pngThe Watch Now menu with programming options displayed as tiles. Use the remote's arrow buttons to highlight an option and press OK, Select, or Enter.

5. After selecting your program, you will be presented with Series Info.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_005.pngThe Series Info for the selected programming choice - in this case, USA's Suits. Choose "Episodes" to view a list of available episodes.

6. Select Watch on the episode you wish to view.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_006.pngThe Episode Info screen with the Watch option highlighted.

7. You can access a Device Settings menu that will allow you to enable Closed Captions and manage your audio preferences.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_007.pngThe Device Settings screen with Closed Captioning, Audio, and Logout options.

8. Accessing the Parental Controls menu allows you to do the following:

◦Set PINs Manager
◦Set Movie Locks
◦Set TV Locks
◦Turn Safe Search On or Off

HOW9380_12-09-2014_008.pngThe Parental Controls screen with a list of options available.

Samsung Firmware Updates

If you needs to upgrade to the latest Samsung firmware, you will receive the following message when attempting to launch the application. You must follow the instructions and then re-launch.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_009.png

LG Firmware Updates
For details about how to update your LG TV firmware, visit
http://www.lg.com/us/support/answers/smart-tvs2014/updating-your-firmware

All Replies
Gold Problem Solver

Re: When will we get 4K and/or HDR?

There is already a couple of current threads running on this. No need to start another thread............

Lake_Oswego wrote:

There were published report of a July 4th release date and also of targeting the Rio Olympics.  Have seen comments about the x i4, x i5 and x i6.  When will be see any progress on getting 4K and/or HDR?

Expert
Moved:

Problem Solver

Since the OP was asking about UHD (4K) and HDR I will reply here.

If you own a 2015 or newer Samsung UHD or SUHD Television you may have a chance here. I found a new PGA Championship app under our recommended apps.

The app is evidently a test app for 4K cameras using HDR color convention. The app just follows this golf tournament and followed a choice of two groups this morning. It follows a similar setup used for their HD app found on You Tube.

I used the app at different times today. I also watched later when it came on TNT cable in live HD version. The app uses the usual lists like player score-board, listing your favorite players, pictures, player info. It then shows highlights and interviews replayed UHD & HDR. These items played quite well.

The choice of one or the other groups was to be live coverage using the 4K & DHR capable cameras.

I did get this live option to view okay for about an hour. You could see they were trying to get used to using some portable cameras. They were not switching to commercials during this experiment, and their viewing would return to the PGA Tournament logo screen and get stuck there (bombed app).

I had a heck of a time getting out of this. The normal button on remote for return/exit failed to escape the app. I used source to switch back to cable.

If I reopenned app it would return to same stuck spot. So I dumped the app, and then went back to recommended apps and reloaded it to get back to main menu. Maybe some of you might have better luck. I would assume if you try it later today you will only get to use only replays, etc.

New Poster

X1 set top boxes with UHD / 4K?

When will X1 set top boxes be available to support this be available? Today, all of my boxes only support up to 1080P60. 4k is capable of supporting 4x that. More specifically - 4K UHD is a resolution of 3840 pixels × 2160 lines (8.3 megapixels, aspect ratio 16:9). With one of the best displays on the market just installed (Samsung 55in 8000 series 4k UHD) - I am not getting the resolution capable out of my cable service... Any information on this is appreciated. Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: X1 set top boxes with UHD / 4K?

Many threads already running on this topic. Comcast has not announced anything about 4k boxes.

I doubt we will see them this year.

FYI we know what 4k is....
Problem Solver

If your Samsung UHD TV is 2015 or newer, you can use the "Ultra HD Sampler" app. No X1 box required.

Check my post under Xfinity TV/ mobile apps. You can down-load the app, but they worked on it yesterday and it has problems watching any chosen programs after clicking watch today.

Problem Solver

Comcast as fixed the Ultra HD Sampler and the app is working again this morning.

Problem Solver

As of today the "Ultra HD Sampler" app is working again with Rio Olympics promo. in 4K/HDR able to be played.

The PGA championship app (Samsung UHD TV's) was functioning better on live broadcast yesterday (2nd day). We all must remember that these apps are still in testing mode for watching UHD/DHR television. There will be problems especially for live broadcast like signal break-up from cameras transmitting signal to control van, due to close by storms, woods, buildings, etc. They also may have syncing problems with audio and video.

Frequent Visitor

4k broadcast

when will 4k be available and will we need new set top box?

Gold Problem Solver

Please read in the thread you posted in. You answer has been already posted.

Yes you will need a different box...

trevt wrote:

Problem Solver

As of 8/9/16, The Rio Olympics Opening Ceremonies are all on the "Ultra HD Sampler" app. There are currently 3 parts covering the cerimonies (4 hours total) playing in 4K / HDR without any problems keeping up with the buffer. Everything including more episodes added to the 4k versions of TV shows worked fine without any problems.

I am looking forward to watching actual 4K replays of the expected sporting events.

Expert

trevt wrote:

no 4k set top box has been released so far and only 'hint' of a 2017 (sometime in 2017) box release to the public (us) has been hinted at so far.

The sampler pack referenced above is only for certain late model samsung and perhaps LG televisions that use an app to access the 4k programming.

Problem Solver

I agree with your opinion. And by that time they will most likely get rid of our currently free "Ultra HD Sampler" app since they will most likely have the current generation of X1 box ready to use by most brands of UHD TV's. The testing period will be over for those of us who can use it, and we all will be paying premium price to use it.

Expert

MNtundraRET wrote:

I agree with your opinion. And by that time they will most likely get rid of our currently free "Ultra HD Sampler" app since they will most likely have the current generation of X1 box ready to use by most brands of UHD TV's. The testing period will be over for those of us who can use it, and we all will be paying premium price to use it.

I may have some letters wrong but if i recall correctly, the xi6 is the one for 2017 that includes UHD and HDR and that newer sound implementation of dolby ATMOS (hope I got the letters all correct).

some customers have written that the broadcasters may go to 8K instead of upgrading to 4k first. time will tell. 

Gold Problem Solver

8K is real and it is being tested. That being said, lets get going on 4K/HDR/Atmos.

This is not breaking news but I recently bought a new 4K/HDR LG OLED TV and I just installed a brand new 4K/HDR/Atmos capable AV receiver. I am ready to move to the next level. Comcast is holding me back.

Even though the 4K UHD Sampler app is not working properly for me, I really am hoping that Comcast get serious about these important technologies.

On this particular subject, I would much rather be praising Comcast than criticizing them...

Problem Solver

RickGr:

I don't know if this matters Rick, but when I go to the Ultra HD Sampler's information page on version, etc., I find my Samsung UHD Tv's full model ID listed along with other information on the TV. If you can get to that listing is your LD OLED TV ID listed there?

Gold Problem Solver

As I have said many times before, my new LG OLED is not on the supported TV list but extremely similar models are.

I was hoping the 4K UHD Sampler app would work for me but it does not. I cannot see Olympic content but I can see the five series that Comcast has available and I can play them. However when I try to play them the audio is messed up and it is wildly out of sync. Eventually the picture begins to break up.

Considering my brand spankin new (and very expensive) LG OLED apparently is not officially supported by the app, I will discontinue posting on the 4K UHD Sampler app topic.

Problem Solver

When the app first opens to the first page showing technical information with one line showing just my TV model info. The information would come from the original set up for the TV. The information in this case is used by Samsung in order to bill the owner for any app subscription charges incurred each month for apps used directly off the TV on any Internet used by the owner.

This is not a list of all possible TV's capable of using the app. For anyone here who may also have a Samsung UHD TV or LG TV There might be a problem if you never registered the TV by running the set up. The manual did state that the TV did not necessarily need to be registered for first use and it may have been forgotten.

This is just a guess on my part, but if you could download the app see if your TV model information shows up on the one line. 

Gold Problem Solver

PLEASE reread my last post.

I have already set up an account with LG. I had to in order to install the app (which I believe I already mentioned to you).

How could you not realize that I have already downloaded, installed and used the 4K UHD Sampler app???????

Frequent Visitor

When the Target dates when the 4k HD DVR be out (2160p)   I have a 4k HD Tv but only feeded 1080p. Need to know.

Thanks

Ken

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

MNtundraRET wrote:

I may have some letters wrong but if i recall correctly, the xi6 is the one for 2017 that includes UHD and HDR and that newer sound implementation of dolby ATMOS (hope I got the letters all correct).

some customers have written that the broadcasters may go to 8K instead of upgrading to 4k first. time will tell. 

Thread hijack by me? 

Rusty, any idea where 60fps fits into the spaghetti acronyms?

Expert

RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

MNtundraRET wrote:

Thread hijack by me? 

no haven't run across any tech articles on frame rate yet. 

Expert

Rustyben wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

MNtundraRET wrote:

Thread hijack by me? 

no haven't run across any tech articles on frame rate yet. 

I can definitely see the difference on YouTube.

New Poster

Well, I've read a dozen other threads, all asking the same {unanswered} questions:

WHEN will we get 4K?

WILL we need new boxes/remotes?  If yes, which ones (model#, part#, etc)?

Is there an upcharge for 4K?

I don't care about some Samsung trial thingy - I'm buying a LG set.

You know, folks are just looking for a straight answer to an important question.  Instead of snarking that there's already a dozen threads on the subject, why not consolidate the threads into one?  

Gold Problem Solver

There are no answers because Comcast has not announced anything reliable.

Comcast employees will not comment about this until an official public announcement has been made.

Yes, new boxes will be needed.

The 4K UHD Sampler app works with some LG TVs as well but it is very buggy and mostly pointless.

You need to wait just like the rest of us.
Expert

Pondude08827 wrote:

Well, I've read a dozen other threads, all asking the same {unanswered} questions:

WHEN will we get 4K?

You know, folks are just looking for a straight answer to an important question.  Instead of snarking that there's already a dozen threads on the subject, why not consolidate the threads into one?  

good news .. some LG sets now get the sampler app

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/uhd-sampler-app-on-samsung-smart-tv

Gold Problem Solver

Rusty,

As I just stated in my previous post, some LG TVs (including my new LG OLED) are eligible for the 4K UHD Sampler app. However I have tested the app numerous times and it is so buggy that it is unusable.

I tried the 4K UHD Sampler app this morning. HDR is not working. The series "Superstore" is completely unwatchable. Even when it does work the audio is wildly out sf sync.

Just a suggestion Rusty.... I generally do not comment on Cloud DVR because I do not have it. If you have not used the 4K UHD Sampler app you might not want to comment on it.

In it's current form, the 4K UHD Sampler app is almost a joke and it may be an indicator of just how far behind Comcast is with 4K.

Rustyben wrote:

Pondude08827 wrote:

WHEN will we get 4K?

good news .. some LG sets now get the sampler app

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/uhd-sampler-app-on-samsung-smart-tv

New Poster

8k..hogwash..I don't even think human eye would notice..gimmick money at best
.we still have standard definition and Comcast doesn't even have a 4k compatible box anywhere in future, but I'd assume there working on it
Gold Problem Solver

Errr ummm,

The Japanese had 8k cameras at the Rio Olympics. 8k signal was sent back to Japan.

The Olympic events that are part of the Comcast 4K UHD Sampler app used those 8k cameras.
Expert

CJ92 wrote:
8k..hogwash..I don't even think human eye would notice..gimmick money at best
.we still have standard definition and Comcast doesn't even have a 4k compatible box anywhere in future, but I'd assume there working on it

I watched some 60fps comparisons on YouTube and they were impressive.  There sure is a lot of chatter about the future of video.

But it is still a long way away for me with my X1 system.  But when 4k prices make sense for me to replace my Samsung, I will do it.

Then I will have to wait until the next generation is at mass-market prices and then I will probably buy in.

Administrator

What UHD/4K content is currently available with XFINITY TV?
At this time, 4K content from XFINITY is only available to customers via the Ultra HD Sampler app on select Samsung and LG Smart TVs. For more information, please check out What is the Ultra HD Sampler App on Samsung and LG Smart TVs?.

When will more UHD/4K content become available?
We are currently working on a new device that will allow our X1 customers to view more UHD/4K content.

How to watch TV shows with the Ultra HD Sampler App:

1. Download the app from Samsung's Smart Hub or LG's Smart World.

2. Upon opening the app, you will see a loading screen.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_002.pngThe loading screen displays the XFINITY logo and the message "All content in this application, including advertising content, is provided by Comcast and its partners."

3. Log in using your XFINITY username and password.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_003.pngUsername screen with the instruction "Please enter your comcast.net username. Choose "Next' when finished to enter your password." Use the arrow buttons on the remote to choose a letter and press the OK, Select, or Enter button to select it. When finished, use the arrow buttons to highlight "Next" in the right-hand corner and press the OK, Select, or Enter button.

4. Select the content you wish to watch from the Watch Now menu.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_004.pngThe Watch Now menu with programming options displayed as tiles. Use the remote's arrow buttons to highlight an option and press OK, Select, or Enter.

5. After selecting your program, you will be presented with Series Info.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_005.pngThe Series Info for the selected programming choice - in this case, USA's Suits. Choose "Episodes" to view a list of available episodes.

6. Select Watch on the episode you wish to view.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_006.pngThe Episode Info screen with the Watch option highlighted.

7. You can access a Device Settings menu that will allow you to enable Closed Captions and manage your audio preferences.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_007.pngThe Device Settings screen with Closed Captioning, Audio, and Logout options.

8. Accessing the Parental Controls menu allows you to do the following:

◦Set PINs Manager
◦Set Movie Locks
◦Set TV Locks
◦Turn Safe Search On or Off

HOW9380_12-09-2014_008.pngThe Parental Controls screen with a list of options available.

Samsung Firmware Updates

If you needs to upgrade to the latest Samsung firmware, you will receive the following message when attempting to launch the application. You must follow the instructions and then re-launch.

HOW9380_12-09-2014_009.png

LG Firmware Updates
For details about how to update your LG TV firmware, visit
http://www.lg.com/us/support/answers/smart-tvs2014/updating-your-firmware

Frequent Visitor

Ok i have been waiting for ultra HD for years now. all cable providers offer ultra HD and everyone that streams media now seems to offer ultra HD.  Im ok with using the sampler app on my tv  but it never has more then 3 to 4 shows on it.  They never update the content.  Shows are updated weeks to months after they air. 

I AM OK with using your sampler app on my TV if you offer actual content and update the shows as they air.

When are you going to offer real content and when are you doing to have someone update the shows as they air? Also how about some movies in ultra hd? Your very behind the times with this. I know there is content out thre because everyone else offers ultra hd content or they stream it...

Gold Problem Solver

Comcast Jessie,

I do not know how you are able to personally test the UHD Sampler App but I can assure you that it DOES NOT WORK!!!

Please do not recommend the UHD Sampler App as a source of 4K programming. 

Problem Solver

Currently the "Ultra UHD Sampler" app works on my 2015 Samsung UHD television.

However; I posted a week ago about the play-back problem. One example is the Superstore episode 7 (voting day).

The laser disc shows some signal breakup at similar times each time I play the episode. It could be either a copy saved to disc with errors, or your play-back equipment used to deliver this episode (and others).

New Poster

I don't quite understand why a technology upgrade is based on the type of hardware (LG or Samsung brands are 4K ready via XFINITY), but other 4K TV's (mine being a Sony) are not. Dish and DirectTV had 4K for all models, not based on type of TV you have. A target date for release with Sony TV 4K UHD HDR would be appreciated. Thank you.
Gold Problem Solver

It is probably marketing agreements. Sony and Comcast are probably competitors at some level.

FYI Comcast rarely provides dates. On the handful of occasions they did provide a date they were wrong.
Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:
FYI Comcast rarely provides dates. On the handful of occasions they did provide a date they were wrong.

Case in point; the Xfinity TV app for Roku.  They gave a date of 11/30.  A few days later, that was changed to 12/12.

CIAO!

Ed N.
New Poster

Comcast tries to portray the X1 box and their service as 'advanced tv'.

Yet they do not support 4k. They do not know when they will supoprt 4k.

Yet every TV manufacturer and both satellite services support 4k.

I like Comcast's terrestrial service, but I'm not willing to wait much longer for Comcast to catch up with the industry.

Problem Solver

Most 4K content is from streaming.  For a couple of channels with little content and some PPV movies in 4K on Directv you have to have two boxes (HR54 Genie& C61 Mini) and either the Ultimate or Premier Package. With Dish they only have some 4K PPV movies. It will still be a couple of years before there is wide spread 4K HDR content.Smiley Happy

Expert

adding.. or it could be like 3D and fall out of favor. Or it couid be 8k that is the next steady technology as more and more fiber is installed over the next decade.

Problem Solver

dwitham:

You commented on a current problem with switching to satellite for more 4K content. I noticed the same as you that by the time you get to the level required to get the 4K service the final monthly cost is very similar to cable, with much fewer linear channels. It is very hard to get the final monthly cost with all fees, taxes added in for any of these companies for regualr monthly price after special offers end.

It looks like there is a need to sign up for a 2 year contract, with a shorter period at the Got you price. I would like to hear from some people on this forum that have switched to find out how much 4K was actually available on the 4K channel. Is it a 24 hour channel or only on for limited periods each day?

I feel sorry for all the people buying lower quality 4k televisions (without smart tv options) just because they are being pushed at low prices on sale for Christmas. They will be stuck with no option to watch real 4K programming, and more than likely poor upscaling from HD modes.

Expert
Problem Solver

I have a friend who now has a 4K TV and Directv. I don't know if he has the correct Genie boxes to receive their 4K channels. When I check to see what content they have when I next visit in a couple of weeks. According to the Directv forum it looks like there is one full time channel that just replays the same content and two special event channels. Also Directv lowered their package requirment to receive the 4K channels to the Select package. 

Frequent Visitor

For a true 4k picture wi-fi will not work. You need a network cable from the TV to the router. I can view 4k on my Sony from Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube on the internet. Use a high speed hdmi cable from the computer to the TV.  We are trying to get Comcast to add 4k, while they are rolling back some 1080i signals to 720p. If this continues, they will lose customers to Direct-TV. 8K requires a monster TV that most of us cannot afford.

Tags (1)
Expert

4kuser wrote:

For a true 4k picture wi-fi will not work. You need a network cable from the TV to the router. I can view 4k on my Sony from Netflix, Amazon, and Youtube on the internet. Use a high speed hdmi cable from the computer to the TV.  We are trying to get Comcast to add 4k, while they are rolling back some 1080i signals to 720p. If this continues, they will lose customers to Direct-TV. 8K requires a monster TV that most of us cannot afford.

you may need a repeater or move the router closer to the 4k device. even 2.4 ghz only routers easily deliver a 10-16 mbps stream to the devices. Have you done a speed test from a mobile device near the TV when NOT streaming to test your wifi bandwidth available?

Expert
Moved:

Expert
Moved:

Quoted a Post That was Removed, so this will also be removed to preserve guidelines.

New Poster

I get 300Mbps on my Wireless at home because i have an AC1700 router. And i get numerous 4K services via my wifi. There is nop such thing as 8K yet with the exception of companies showing off at CES Las Vegas. And you don't need a monster cable you need highspeed cables and more than likely you will need the next HDMI standard because rather than giving their customers a break companies are more interested in making sure you have to upgrade multiple items at once. But the most I have spent on cables over the past 10 years are about $10 each via monoprice. And if you are not getting cables there than any huge price you are paying for yours are on you.

So before you start telling others what will and will not work you may want to do  little research first. 

New Poster

Who has more resources for research and development then Comcast? So how is it possible that Comcast is badly trailing Netflix, Amazon, Direct Tv, etc..... It's inexcusable. Oh but you have a lousy app that only works with Sumsung and LG with little to no content? I'd be so embarrassed to be affiliated with Comcast R&D. Pathetic.