ANSWERED
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Weird Sound Skipping Problem on X1 4K Box

My setup is this:
XFinity XG1V4 box
Vizio M55-C2 UHD TV

Vizio SB4051-C0 Soundbar

Soundbar is connected to the TV using HDMI1-ARC port on the TV. TV's CEC is set to ARC-only, effectively turning CEC/HDMI Link off for other devices.

After I got the 4K Xfinity Box, I hooked it up to HDMI 5 on my TV (Only port which supports HDMI 2.2, 2160p60Hz), but ever since then, I've noticed weird, annoying sound skipping on both DVR recordings and live broadcasts, sometimes as often as 20 minutes apart. 

Switching HDMI cables didn't help, nor did using the Optical connector from the TV to the soundbar using a TOSLINK cable. DIsconnecting all other devices to the TV didn't help either. 

Absolutely no issues at all with the video quality. 

The problem goes away when I plug the TV to a different port and select 2160p30, or 1080p60. It also goes away when I select Stereo from HDMI output for Audio, instead of Auto Detect/(Dolby Digital 5.1), or Expert, on the X1 box. It also goes away when I use the Coax connector, instead of HDMI (ugh, 480i ).

I don't have the same sound skipping problem with my Apple TV 4k, nor my XBox One S, plugged into the same HDMI 5 TV port with 2160p60 set.

Does anyone have an idea what I could be missing here? Thanks. 

Accepted Solution

Re: Weird Sound Skipping Problem on X1 4K Box

Reset the sound bar to factory defaults, turned off ARC, used Optical cable instead.
Sound skipping is gone completely. Cat LOL
View answer in context
Problem Solver

It sounds to me like your television is only a 60Hz model. High end UHD televisions are 120 Hz models. Check your tv's manual.

Are you using a 4k certified cable? Is the cable labelled and certified for HDMI 2.2?

Valued Contributor

I think you're confusing the TV's refresh rate with the HDMI output, or frame rate.

In any event, the cables can do 2160p60, 4:4:4,  since both my XBox One S and my Apple TV 4k have no problems with that resolution, with the same set of cables. 

Problem Solver

@darkangelic wrote:

I think you're confusing the TV's refresh rate with the HDMI output, or frame rate.

In any event, the cables can do 2160p60, 4:4:4,  since both my XBox One S and my Apple TV 4k have no problems with that resolution, with the same set of cables. 

No. I was referring to the fact that a 60 Hz. UHD tv may not handle 2160p /60. So maximum would be 2160p/30. This was mentioned in my Samsung manual. My Samsung 3D UHD television is a 120 Hz. model, and the reason I chose to purchase it. This was also brought up on an earlier post by RickGR last year.

You did not mention if your tv is a 120 Hz. model. At any rate; the problem is most likely with the Comcast equipment. Not all 4K DVR's may have gotten all updates, and not all Comcast service areas are set up equally for current 4k service. It sounds like you have all bases covered for your current setup.

Valued Contributor

Actually, no, it has nothing to do with it, as I have already mentioned that my Apple TV and my XBox One S can output 2160p60 no problems. And my XG1V4 box as well, despite the sound skipping, handles the video without issue. 

In any event, before I continue down this road, turns out to be my Vizio SB4051-C0 soundbar that's the culprit, as I switched it out for my older Sony HT-C150 on the HDMI-ARC port, and the skipping disappeared completely.

I suspect that the wireless subwoofer may be losing connection and the skipping may be the front module trying to reestablish the link, or the Vizio TV is having trouble driving the sound output to the soundbar. 

Hopefully a full reset of the soundbar will take care of the problem, otherwise I'm looking at an upgrade. A shame too, that soundbar is pretty good for its class.

Valued Contributor

Reset the sound bar to factory defaults, turned off ARC, used Optical cable instead.
Sound skipping is gone completely. Cat LOL
Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation