Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Voice system does not work well

Contributor

Voice system does not work well

I've had X1 for about a year. . . and really like it. It's a game changer vs. Verizon (the only other available ISP in our area). However, something has changed re the remote's voice function. For many months, it worked perfectly. Didn't have to repeat anything, it understood every command, etc. For the last couple of months, pressing the mic button sometimes immediately displays "Sorry, I didn't get that". . . even though I have not yet said anything. Other times, I say something VERY clearly, and get the same response. On several occasions, I've removed the batteries from the XR11 remote, waited 30 sec., reinstalled the bats and tried again. Sometimes that causes it to work. . . 3 or 4 times. Then it's back to "Sorry, . . ."

I have tried installing fresh batteries, rebooting the DVR, doing multiple remote factory resets and re-pairings, and just today, got a new remote from the Comcast store and set it up. None of this has changed the voice command performance. Sometimes it works, but each time there's at least a 50/50 chance it won't. Didn't use to be that way. What's changed?

Service Expert

Re: Voice system does not work well

KNRover wrote:

I've had X1 for about a year. . . and really like it. It's a game changer vs. Verizon (the only other available ISP in our area). However, something has changed re the remote's voice function. For many months, it worked perfectly. Didn't have to repeat anything, it understood every command, etc. For the last couple of months, pressing the mic button sometimes immediately displays "Sorry, I didn't get that". . . even though I have not yet said anything. Other times, I say something VERY clearly, and get the same response. On several occasions, I've removed the batteries from the XR11 remote, waited 30 sec., reinstalled the bats and tried again. Sometimes that causes it to work. . . 3 or 4 times. Then it's back to "Sorry, . . ."

I have tried installing fresh batteries, rebooting the DVR, doing multiple remote factory resets and re-pairings, and just today, got a new remote from the Comcast store and set it up. None of this has changed the voice command performance. Sometimes it works, but each time there's at least a 50/50 chance it won't. Didn't use to be that way. What's changed?

I would try a new remote - they are available at your local Comcast store (no charge).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

If you re-read my last paragraph, you will notice that I DID get a new remote; just 3 hours ago. Did the full setup, paired it with the TV. Everything works instantly except the voice function. It DOES work. . . some of the time. . . but is unreliable. "Watch ESPN", "Watch channel 820", etc. seems to work most of the time. "LivePD" typically comes up "LiveTV". As I said in the original post, sometimes pressing the mic button -- with this NEW remote -- still brings up "Sorry, I didn't get that" before I've said anything. 

My question is why? When I first got X1, the voice function ALWAYS worked. Now it's highly unreliable. What has Comcast changed that has caused it?

Valued Contributor

I've been noticing a similar problem, usually trying the "jump ahead 3,5 whatever minutes" command.  I find if the TV volume is up it interferes with the remote but if I mute the TV volume, the voice remote works fine.  Shouldn't have to do this but, well, it's Comcast, what do you expect?

Service Expert

jwmccnn wrote:

I've been noticing a similar problem, usually trying the "jump ahead 3,5 whatever minutes" command.  I find if the TV volume is up it interferes with the remote but if I mute the TV volume, the voice remote works fine.  Shouldn't have to do this but, well, it's Comcast, what do you expect?

I haven't seen a list of commands other than emails saying try 'yule log'. I found that 'forward 4 minutes' works and 'rewind 4 minutes' works almost without problems. over 90 seconds seems to have a lot of issues and 'forward 2 1/2 minutes nor forward 2 minutes 30 seconds' and other combinations do not seem to work and often change to a channel number. forward 30 minutes works fine but 'forward 1800 seconds' does not. it would be great if an exact list was available. one customer suggested that voice should accept jump as a keyword. I note that many times 'forward two minutes' is interpreted and ignored as 'forward to minutes'

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Some suggestions:

https://www.google.com/search?q=x1+voice+remote+commands

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Bob: Thanks for the response, but none of the items address the problem. One was actually a surprise: the thing about pressing the mic button and WAITING FOR THE BEEP!!! What "beep"? I've never heard a beep, even with my hearing aids on. The video where the guy runs thru a series of commands to demonstrate how good it is, is the way mine USED TO work. NEVER gave me "Sorry, I didn't get that." Now it does it most of the time -- so much that I've stopped using it/consider it an unusable feature. I'm now wondering if it has anything to do with the fact that I swapped a DVR that had no time on it and no red recording light for one that did. It is, after, the DVR that gets and executes the command. If something is wrong with it, the only thing that will make the voice commands work is to get another DVR. Me thinks it would be a good idea to swap it for another one.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation