Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Voice Remote Clicks and says press and hold to try again

Frequent Visitor

Voice Remote Clicks and says press and hold to try again

When trying to use voice remote commands the remote just clicks repeatedly and says "press and hold to try again".  I've tried two different voice remotes, both do the same thing, so it's the system, not the remote. I've restarted my set top box already. Any help would be appreciated.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Voice Remote Clicks and says press and hold to try again

Have you "RF Paired" the remote to the box: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere

Also, the voice command feature does not work with the RNG-150 X1 box...

lisag1963 wrote:

When trying to use voice remote commands the remote just clicks repeatedly and says "press and hold to try again".  I've tried two different voice remotes, both do the same thing, so it's the system, not the remote. I've restarted my set top box already. Any help would be appreciated.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I tried this multiple times.  It worked fine 3 days ago then just started clicking and not responding.  Paired two different remotes and both had the same problem.

Gold Problem Solver

Have unplugged and rebooted the box? The is much different than turning the power off then back on.

lisag1963 wrote:

Yes, I tried this multiple times.  It worked fine 3 days ago then just started clicking and not responding.  Paired two different remotes and both had the same problem.

Expert

lisag1963 wrote:

when you press channel up or down what LED color(s) blink on the top of your remote?

Frequent Visitor

I tried unplugging the box.  Didn't work.  The lights blink green when changing channels, red when trying to use voice commands.

Gold Problem Solver

The remote flashing green when you change channels is correct but the remote should blink blue when using voice commands.

It sure sounds to me like it's not properly RF Paired.

Try "unpairing" the remote (I believe it is hold setup until the light changes then 987) then start over with the RF Pairing process.

Who knows... Maybe the box needs to be replaced.
New Poster

Interesting, I have this same issue. The remote worked fine until today.

I have tried new batteries, rebooting the system, pairing the remote.

I also made the mistake of using the Xfinity HELP CHAT feature but the person I had helping me did not understand it issue and did not read or could not understand what I was writing.

After 15 minutes they told me to go back to the store and get a new remote.

Good luck. 

New Poster

Did you get a new remote from Comcast to pair?

Frequent Visitor

No but I had a spare that I paired but it still didn't work. Did the same exact thing so it's a box or system problem. I give up.
Expert

You have to hold down the blue voice button before you speak and let it go after you have finished.

New Poster

Thanks Lisa, If I resolve this I will post here.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you - I am hoping it just starts working on its own.  I've tried everything short of a new box.

New Poster

My voice control just stopped working also.  Right before that there was a message on the screen when I turned on my TV about an update that needed to finish.  I am wondering if the update may have messed up this functionality somehow.  It seems like several people are suddenly having the same issue.

Gold Problem Solver

Considering there are roughly 10 million X1 boxes out there, this hardly a wide spread problem.

People experiencing this issue should post more details including which X1 box they have: https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

dboettic wrote:

My voice control just stopped working also.  Right before that there was a message on the screen when I turned on my TV about an update that needed to finish.  I am wondering if the update may have messed up this functionality somehow.  It seems like several people are suddenly having the same issue.

dboettic wrote:

Expert

dboettic wrote:

verify when you change the channel with the channel up button that the LED on the remote flashes green (only). 

you can also press the remote's xFinity button >> gear(settings) >> about and check the battery measured/detected power level.

Official Employee

dboettic wrote:

There was indeed an issue with the voice commands earlier this afternoon. Example, you could say channel number but not channel meme to change channels, also affected other  search functions. 

Frequent Visitor

The problem lasted a couple weeks, but it is now working as it should without my doing anymore troubleshooting.  Must have been an internal problem with Comcast - not my remote/box.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

New Poster

Try replaxing your batteries. Fixed mine.

check battery status via "gear" -> "remote settings"

New Poster

Changing the batteries worked for me also.  Thanks for the tip!!

New Poster

I just wanted to say that this same thing happened to me. I would click the mic button on the main tv remote (we'll call this remote A) The light would go blue, but instead of the comfortable "boop" sound, it just clicked, with an uncomfortable white noise, static click.

I have the same remote in a bedroom (we'll call this remote B ). I took the batteries out of remote B, and put them in remote A.

Voila, remote A voice commands are back to work, and the soothing boop has returned.

The interesting aspect of this scenario is that the voice commands for remote B are working, even with batteries from remote A.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the batteries though. It sounds as if there is an electrical short in remote A. I think what actually remedied the problem was removing the back of the controller and re-seating the batteries. In the process of performing this procedure, the incomplete electrical circuit of an unstable connection has been re-established, allowing the electrical signal to flow.

New Poster

I changed the batteries and it worked . Even thought the level was at 47%.