Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

User Manual for Latest X1 Cable Box

Frequent Visitor

User Manual for Latest X1 Cable Box

I doubt if any manufacturer of electronics equipment (TVs, DVDs, Computers, etc.) furnishes hardcopy comprehensive user manuals "in the box" anymore, but I have always been able to find manuals available as PDF file downloads. This has not been the case with the X1 cable box I had installed a couple weeks ago. Trying to find info on using the X1 by going thru web page searches has been a time consuming exercise of futility. I find it outrageous that Comcast has not made anything available other than "Quick Start" documents which provide very little information.

Has anybody out there found any kind of a comprehensive PDF manual for the latest X1 cable box?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: User Manual for Latest X1 Cable Box

Comcast has never posted X1 manuals. They have not responded to requests.

Suggest you Google your questions. You might be very surprised how much valid info you will come across.

Anon434141 wrote:

I doubt if any manufacturer of electronics equipment (TVs, DVDs, Computers, etc.) furnishes hardcopy comprehensive user manuals "in the box" anymore, but I have always been able to find manuals available as PDF file downloads. This has not been the case with the X1 cable box I had installed a couple weeks ago. Trying to find info on using the X1 by going thru web page searches has been a time consuming exercise of futility. I find it outrageous that Comcast has not made anything available other than "Quick Start" documents which provide very little information.

Has anybody out there found any kind of a comprehensive PDF manual for the latest X1 cable box?

Frequent Visitor

I have Googled using every combination of search words I could possibly think of without any meaningful return other than a link to the Comcast page with links to User Manuals for their older cable boxes. Comcast apparently just hasn't made the effort to provide users with a manual. I just switched to the Comcast X1 from Dish Network which has a wonderful PDF manual for their satellite box.

Service Expert

There are a lot of X1 links on the Comcast site that replace a manual.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-settings-index/

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-hub-vs-companion-box/

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/set-top-box-energy-usage

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Yes, "There are a lot of X1 links on the Comcast site", but spinning wheels having to go thru link after link to locate some specific item you are looking for does NOT "replace a manual". With a manual you can (or at least should be able to) find anything you need in one shot via a table of contents, an index, or in electronic form via "find".

Gold Problem Solver

As I said earlier, Comcast has chosen to not post X1 "manuals".

Please remember that X1 has been around for almost three years now. If Comcast wanted to post manuals they would have done it by now.

Sorry but you are just going to need to be more resourceful, just like the rest of us in this forum have for almost three years.

X1 is Comcast's top secret baby. They provide as little information as they possibly can.

Anon434141 wrote:

Yes, "There are a lot of X1 links on the Comcast site", but spinning wheels having to go thru link after link to locate some specific item you are looking for does NOT "replace a manual". With a manual you can (or at least should be able to) find anything you need in one shot via a table of contents, an index, or in electronic form via "find".

New Poster

Just did another search for how to use all the ports on the backside of the X1 platform box.

No index

No instructions in pdf

No user manual

No luck connection of optical out audio port to Rotel stereo amplifier 

No guide to stream hi fi music from Tidal or equal apps.

No hair left on head from anxiety of bumbling around google trying to get simple directions.

Solution : imho, turn off tv and get some Bowers and Wilkins headphones, plug directly in to android device.

Service Expert

Wkgibson wrote:

Just did another search for how to use all the ports on the backside of the X1 platform box.

No index

No instructions in pdf

No user manual

No luck connection of optical out audio port to Rotel stereo amplifier 

No guide to stream hi fi music from Tidal or equal apps.

No hair left on head from anxiety of bumbling around google trying to get simple directions.

Solution : imho, turn off tv and get some Bowers and Wilkins headphones, plug directly in to android device.

is the amp a receiver that can decode audio? You can run those apps on other devices using the Internet access. there are many different X1 output jacks. the HDMI work on all of them (out). The optical audio is to feed to an old amp all newer ones use the 5.1+ HDMI digital path. in the device settings menu you can pick your audio output path. The coax out works when it is on the device, the audio RCA jacks and the component jacks work (if present on the device). all other jacks are currently disabled.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Silver Problem Solver

Software wise, the X1 gets updated frequently. So anything posted would be outdated quickly.

Hardware wise, the connections are the same as any other AV deivce that's been around for decades now, so just find a manual for any other device. Any other cable box if you want to stay in the same ballpark.

New Poster

Actually the "hardware connections are the same as for any other device" is simply not true.  I need to know, for instance, whether the second HDMI out connection is capable of streaming 4K.  And apparently there is no user manual available that will tell me that.

Service Expert

KWSterling wrote:

Actually the "hardware connections are the same as for any other device" is simply not true.  I need to know, for instance, whether the second HDMI out connection is capable of streaming 4K.  And apparently there is no user manual available that will tell me that.

Comcast has deactivated (or just not programmed) all other connections.  If you want a 4k set top box get an XG1v4 (DVR) (available in most markets). you must be an HD customer and a Netflix subscriber to receive 4k. The only 4k source so far on the X1 is Netflix.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Here is the link to download the manual for the current Xfinity X1 box.  https://www.manualslib.com/download/1059914/Pace-Px013anm.html

I am an HD subscriber, as well as a subscriber to Netflix. As you note, Xfinity is not streaming any 4K content via cable, and it looks to me from the user manual that the box in question (X1, model PX013ANM, made by Pace) isn't capable of streaming any.  I haven't tried to stream Netflix via the Xfinity box b/c my TV will stream Netflix without any need for the box. But I wanted to know b/c of the way the TV and my Roku hook into my home theater system. I only have one HDMI input that is capable of handling 4K resolution, so henceforth I'm going to use that for the Roku and the Xfinity will go through a different HDMI input.

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 7 in conversation