Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Upgrading ro X1 - question on number of DVR boxes needed

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 5

I recently received a letter and am now receiving messages on my TV that I need to upgrade my equipment to X1. At this time we have two older Scientific Atlanta HD DVR boxes in our residence. When we upgrade will we still need two HD DVR X1 boxes? There are articles and commercials and info on the internet that say you only need 1 DVR box and that all shows are recorded on it for all users. I have also seen that the DVR recordings are stored on the cloud.

I would just like an explanation on what equipment is needed for X1 that would allow my husband and me to be able to continue to record the shows we watch on the DVR. Currently we each use a separate box since we have the two so we don't get shows mixed up and/or delete recordings that one of us may still need to watch if it is a show we both watch (my work schedule usually leaves me binge watching my recordings on my days off and my husband is usually able to waich his the next day). 

Thanks for any and all help ... it is really appreciated. 

4 REPLIES
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 2 of 5

X1 has DVR boxes and secondary boxes. Read this if you wish but is is important. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs-Non-DVR/td-p/2860183

You probably need one X1 DVR and one secondary box unless you want private recordings. If you want private recordings you will need two X1 DVRs.

FroRo65 wrote:

I recently received a letter and am now receiving messages on my TV that I need to upgrade my equipment to X1. At this time we have two older Scientific Atlanta HD DVR boxes in our residence. When we upgrade will we still need two HD DVR X1 boxes? There are articles and commercials and info on the internet that say you only need 1 DVR box and that all shows are recorded on it for all users. I have also seen that the DVR recordings are stored on the cloud.

I would just like an explanation on what equipment is needed for X1 that would allow my husband and me to be able to continue to record the shows we watch on the DVR. Currently we each use a separate box since we have the two so we don't get shows mixed up and/or delete recordings that one of us may still need to watch if it is a show we both watch (my work schedule usually leaves me binge watching my recordings on my days off and my husband is usually able to waich his the next day). 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 3 of 5
Thank you for the quick answer. I saw that thread for the link and thought we would only need 1 DVR box and then the separate boxes for viewing.

Do the small view only boxes we have now for additional TVS still work with X1 or do those need to be replaced as well?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 4 of 5

RickGr4 wrote:

X1 has DVR boxes and secondary boxes. Read this if you wish but is is important. http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-TV-Box-Comparison-DVR-vs-Non-DVR/td-p/2860183

You probably need one X1 DVR and one secondary box unless you want private recordings. If you want private recordings you will need two X1 DVRs.

FroRo65 wrote:

Actually, if you want private recordings, the X1 platform isn't for you. It's a whole home dvr system.  You may be better off with 2 legacy DVRs instead but you absolutely have to upgrade your equipment.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview/

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 5 of 5

Whoops.
Nice catch Andrew. What was I thinking???... LOL

ComcastAndrew wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

FroRo65 wrote:

Actually, if you want private recordings, the X1 platform isn't for you. It's a whole home dvr system.  You may be better off with 2 legacy DVRs instead but you absolutely have to upgrade your equipment.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-anyroom-dvr-overview/