Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Upgrade HDMI cable?

Frequent Visitor

Upgrade HDMI cable?

I have a XG1v4 coming in the mail this week. Do I need to upgrade my HDMI cable to be able to utilize 4K and HDR content from Netflix, Amazon and VUDU. I have a 4K TV that supports HDR. They vary wildly in price, any suggestions?

Official Employee

Re: Upgrade HDMI cable?

@NosmoKing wrote:

I have a XG1v4 coming in the mail this week. Do I need to upgrade my HDMI cable to be able to utilize 4K and HDR content from Netflix, Amazon and VUDU. I have a 4K TV that supports HDR. They vary wildly in price, any suggestions?

There's only 4K content from Netflix with a 4K subscription. There's no Amazon or VUDU access from the DVR. Why not wait until installed to see if the HDMI cable is good or not?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the quick reply. I know the  XG1v4 only supports Netfix but Netflix has HDR as well as 4K so I really was wondering about that. I also have a Shield that has Netflix, Amazon, Vudu and several other sources of 4k HDR material so I was really asking about that is well. I know it may not be relevant in this group I just thought I would ask because this group tends to be very knowledgable.

Expert

@NosmoKing wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. I know the  XG1v4 only supports Netfix but Netflix has HDR as well as 4K so I really was wondering about that. I also have a Shield that has Netflix, Amazon, Vudu and several other sources of 4k HDR material so I was really asking about that is well. I know it may not be relevant in this group I just thought I would ask because this group tends to be very knowledgable.

Just remember that any content from your Comcast "package" only includes Netflix.  The HDMI cable will go from the XG1v4 to either your TV or an a/v receiver (like what I have).  Any other content your TV receives will be through a separate HDMI cable.

Problem Solver

@NosmoKing wrote:

If you have a 4K television that has built-in apps such as: You Tube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, you are getting the signal for 4K programing directly over the Internet. All you need is fast enough broadband to cover the 4K program plus whatever other devices are working at the same time on your home network. The 4k DVR does not come into play when using the television's version of the apps. A 4K compliant HDMI cable is only needed for use of the 4K DVR, and may come with the DVR in some service areas. Just test the one that is shipped with the 4K DVR to see if it works for 4K programs still found on Comcast, as already mentioned.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@NosmoKing wrote:

If you have a 4K television that has built-in apps such as: You Tube, Netflix, Amazon Prime, you are getting the signal for 4K programing directly over the Internet. All you need is fast enough broadband to cover the 4K program plus whatever other devices are working at the same time on your home network. The 4k DVR does not come into play when using the television's version of the apps. A 4K compliant HDMI cable is only needed for use of the 4K DVR, and may come with the DVR in some service areas. Just test the one that is shipped with the 4K DVR to see if it works for 4K programs still found on Comcast, as already mentioned.

Does it matter if the cable is HDCP 2.2 or 2.1?

Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@NosmoKing wrote:

I believe the HDCP 2.2 would be required for 2160 60p signal. HDCP 2.1 would still work for 2160 30p signal.

Expert

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@MNtundraRET wrote:

@NosmoKing wrote:

I believe the HDCP 2.2 would be required for 2160 60p signal. HDCP 2.1 would still work for 2160 30p signal.

HDCP 2.* is same technology just update in official keys and detection of invalid devices algorithms.  modern HDMI cables should all work just fine as that was the design idea of HDMI cables. normal length cables should all work find with HDCP 2.2 or later.

Frequent Visitor

I did as you suggested and tried the cable from Comcast. The picture was a disapointment. I bought a high speed (21Gbps) UHD 4k cable. The difference was amazing. I am using it with the 4K box and I couldn't be happier witht the picture.

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@NosmoKing wrote:

There's only 4K content from Netflix with a 4K subscription. There's no Amazon or VUDU access from the DVR. Why not wait until installed to see if the HDMI cable is good or not?

Problem Solver

@NosmoKing wrote:

I did as you suggested and tried the cable from Comcast. The picture was a disapointment. I bought a high speed (21Gbps) UHD 4k cable. The difference was amazing. I am using it with the 4K box and I couldn't be happier witht the picture.

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

@NosmoKing wrote:

Thank you for your reply. Comcast has a bad habit of not labelling type or certification of their cables. I suspected you would likely need to purchase the correct cable.