Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Upcoming X1 Updates

ANSWERED
Problem Solver

Re: 1.47.20 Arrived today. Pandora now has a screen saver.

Legacy DVRs are avalable everywhere in comcastland. What is not avalable is anyroom DVR. A 46" tv is fine, assuming it under about 12 ft away from the couch.
Problem Solver

Contrast levels play a big role in this as well as lighting in area.
Regular Contributor

According to the repi n the local office here in Voorhees, nj, they have no legacy boxes. They are out of stock and new ones aren't being made. I'm sure they have a box or two sitting in a truck somewhere but they won't replace my parents x1 dvr with it. They sit about seven to nine feet from the tv.

So based on the suggestions from some of the kind folks out here they should

Go to eye doctor (done)

Get bigger tv (not cost effective)

All of the above are cynical suggestions that will only cause people to get annoyed.

Getting a legacy dvr is the only reasonable suggestion, unfortunately if they aren't in stock in your area, you can't get one.

Problem Solver

I understand the frustrations, but I can assure you that they can call and sched a tech to bring them out to the house. In this situation a charge would not occur, as long as they explain why they are needing those boxes..
Problem Solver

You have to have understand that we on the forum get frustrated as well. Most of know that with the right tv hooked up the right way, and placed at right location that the font is perfect. I have the cheapest walmart 26" tv that money can buy in my BR. I am about 10ft away, and there is nothing I can't see...
Official Employee

Onwards to 1.48.03 12/08/14

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Contributor

I understand the frustration... been a comcast customer 20 or more years. Believe me, I know frustration. Lol

I have no problem with fonts either although my smallest tv is 55 inches and my largest is 90. I'd shrink the font if I could.

This isn't about me tho, nor is it about my parents troubles (they get by and don't complain, it's just something I observed). It's just infuriating to me to see somebody get a response like 'the font is ok to me so you must have bad eyes... go get your eyes checked'.

In a place that claims to want to help people, there is no room for responses like that even if frustrated.

If Comcast has a minimum requirements list for x1 then by all means tell people to get a bigger tv but we know they have no such list.

I'll stop babbling now... you know where I'm coming from. Just trying to look out for some people that have problems that are very real to them even if it's not a problem for us.

Regular Contributor

Is 1.48 coming out? Or are you just telling us to zip it up? Lol

Service Expert

ComcastAndrew wrote:

same release 'date' as 1.47.20 ?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Gold Problem Solver

Andrew,

Do you have a list of 1.48.xx updates and fixes for us???

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Problem Solver

ComcastAndrew wrote:

This one's taking a while to push out..

Gold Problem Solver

MadMangs wrote:

According to the repi n the local office here in Voorhees, nj, they have no legacy boxes. They are out of stock and new ones aren't being made. I'm sure they have a box or two sitting in a truck somewhere but they won't replace my parents x1 dvr with it. They sit about seven to nine feet from the tv. I was just at a Comcast location in suburban Minneapolis and they had STACKS of them in stock.

So based on the suggestions from some of the kind folks out here they should

Go to eye doctor (done)

Get bigger tv (not cost effective) Who is to judge what is cost effective? Besides a consumers buying power when purchasing a new TV has never been greater. When I discussed this with my GF she rolled her eyes and the first things she said was "anyone that can afford to pay Comcast a minumum of $180/month should be able to buy a new TV". Sorry mangs but she has a VERY valid point. I believe with many people its not the fact that they can't afford a new TV. It's that they would rather push the burdon of a solution back to Comcast.

All of the above are cynical suggestions that will only cause people to get annoyed. The veteran members of the forum tried many positive approaches. Non-cynical didn't work with many people. Feel free to go back over old posts.

Getting a legacy dvr is the only reasonable suggestion, unfortunately if they aren't in stock in your area, you can't get one.

Gold Problem Solver

MadMangs wrote:

Many of the people complaining have HD tv's. You are aware HD tv's come in different sizes, right? Has comcast published a minimum tv size for x1 anywhere?

When I go over to my parents house I notice them squinting at the guide on there 46 inch HD tv. So what size tv would you recommend? Send your address, I'll send you the bill. And yes, they have both been to the eye doctor. They are senior citizens.  I guess x1 isn't for older people either, right?

If there are minimum requirements, maybe comcast should publish them in advance, ya think? If Comcast is excluding or discriminating against a certain age group, maybe they should publish that too. Good point...  but this is Comcast we are talking here. They have never admitted there is a problem here so now we are expecting them to publish a policy statement? A snowball in pizzaman's backyard has a better chance.

Btw, they tried to go back to legacy dvr but was told by comcast rep the equipment was not available because they are out of legacy boxes.

There.... I said it too. Jerk  Ray the Geekman is one of the most helpful, understanding and kind people volunteering their time in this forum. We are lucky to have him hanging out here. If Ray is a jerk then I must be the devil... LOL

mangs you seem like a very bright person and you may have a great deal of forum experience but you are new to this forum and I am guessing you are fairly new to X1. This forum can be highly dysfunctional at times. You might want to take some time to acclimate yourself...

Service Expert

MadMangs wrote:

Many of the people complaining have HD tv's. You are aware HD tv's come in different sizes, right? Has comcast published a minimum tv size for x1 anywhere?

When I go over to my parents house I notice them squinting at the guide on there 46 inch HD tv. So what size tv would you recommend? Send your address, I'll send you the bill. And yes, they have both been to the eye doctor. They are senior citizens.  I guess x1 isn't for older people either, right?

If there are minimum requirements, maybe comcast should publish them in advance, ya think? If Comcast is excluding or discriminating against a certain age group, maybe they should publish that too.

Btw, they tried to go back to legacy dvr but was told by comcast rep the equipment was not available because they are out of legacy boxes.

There.... I said it too. Jerk

Thank you,,,,

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Oh... you have legacy boxes in Minneapolis.  Therefore legacy boxes must be available everywhere.  I think you missed the part where I said I called my local office and was told legacy boxes are out of stock. Guess what... everyone doesn't live in Minneapolis. I'm in NJ and I'm not about to drive out to Minneapolis for a cable box. I have asked my local office if a legacy box can be brought in from another location. They said no. Do I really need to put a gun to somebody's head just to get a legacy box? I think that's a bit extreme, don't you?

Just because someone can afford to buy a new tv doesn't mean they should have to in order to accommodate Comcast. We are the paying customers, Comcast needs to accommodate us. If there is a minimum requirement for tv size, publish it. I notice the Comcast forums allow font adjustments. I wonder why? You'd think they would have had the common sense to plan for it from day one of the design phase.

I'll tell my fixed income parents your girlfriend said they should be able to afford a new tv. Of course your girl knows my family's finances intimately so she is absolutely qualified to make such a statement. As to what my family can and can't afford is none of your or your girlfriend's business. It comes down to this.... does Comcast recommend a minimum size... no. Are you accepting responsibility for any problems arising from that new tv you recommend? 

Who is to judge what is cost effective? I am...it's my family, my situation... youl better believe I will judge what is cost effective for me.

You seem very bright too and I really don't want to argue with you but you do seem to have the mentality that if something works for you then it must work for everyone. My point.... you have legacy dvr's in Minneapolis so I must have legacy dvr's in my local office. 

Anyway... you seem like a decent person who is really trying to help so I thank you for that. I just think you need to lighten up a bit on some things. Just because it works for you, don't mean it's good for everyone and their opinion is every bit as valid as yours (and your girl friend's).

I've been hanging around these forums since their inception.  Quite possibly longer than you. I'm not a newbie. I just never had a reason to complain until this collection of bugs and poorly designed software and hardware known as x1 was sold to me by Comcast. All they need to do is fix the legitimate bugs and I'll have no reason to post. 

I'm sure geek is a nice guy but the bottom line is that if your response is harsh or cynical or insulting then someone is probably going to call you on it.

Ps.... can't buy a new tv anyway...x1 doesn't support them (hdmi problems. I only buy Samsung tv's). I know, I know....I should cut Comcast a break and buy some other brand of tv in hopes x1 will work with it even if I don't like the tv. Maybe I should buy the same tv you have because it works well for you.

Comcast doesn't need to admit there is a font problem with the guide because there isn't one. It's not a bug, it's just a design choice. Some people have a problem reading it and allowing minimal font control will make it easier for them to see it without affecting those who like the font the way it is. It's up to Comcast as to whether they want to implement it or not. My gripe is with those who say go out and buy a new tv... show me the x1 minimum requirement for tv size and I'll shut my mouth or let Comcast provide me with a legacy box IN MY AREA not you area. Just for kicks I called Comcast local office (using their direct phone number for support) a few minutes ago and told them there are stacks of legacy boxes in Minneapolis and they still tell me they can't get them. I told them Rick said the boxes are available. They said...who's Rick. Lol. I guess your word isn't law with them. Would you like to call the the local office and tell them legacy boxes must be available in Voorhees because they are available in Minneapolis? 

Btw... . My specific area only uses Cisco or older scientific Atlanta legacy boxes. Motorola legacy boxes were never distributed in my area. Towns a few miles away were provided with Motorola boxes but not my town. So...that stack of legacy boxes in Minneapolis... are they Cisco/scientific Atlanta boxes or Motorola? Motorola boxes won't work here (according to the Comcast rep) 

Valued Contributor

MadMangs, would you like assistance in getting legacy boxes? I can help.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Most Valued Poster

RickGr4 wrote:

mangs you seem like a very bright person 

You are being very kind, Rick.  

Most Valued Poster

ComcastAndrew wrote:

We can't seem to get features re-instated like reverse slo mo, frame by frame and ability to change font that we USED to have  or new  features that  are  truly useful  but we get stuff like this which is  'nice to have' cosmetic fluff.   I think the grocery list Comcast is working with is insane. Give us something/anything and we will go away?  By the way that 'video description' under accessiblity is most annoying and not helpful at all.

Most Valued Poster

MadMangs wrote:

Oh... you have legacy boxes in Minneapolis.  Therefore legacy boxes must be available everywhere.  I think you missed the part where I said I called my local office and was told legacy boxes are out of stock. Guess what... everyone doesn't live in Minneapolis. I'm in NJ and I'm not about to drive out to Minneapolis for a cable box. I have asked my local office if a legacy box can be brought in from another location. They said no. Do I really need to put a gun to somebody's head just to get a legacy box? I think that's a bit extreme, don't you?

Just because someone can afford to buy a new tv doesn't mean they should have to in order to accommodate Comcast. We are the paying customers, Comcast needs to accommodate us. If there is a minimum requirement for tv size, publish it. I notice the Comcast forums allow font adjustments. I wonder why? You'd think they would have had the common sense to plan for it from day one of the design phase.

I'll tell my fixed income parents your girlfriend said they should be able to afford a new tv. Of course your girl knows my family's finances intimately so she is absolutely qualified to make such a statement. As to what my family can and can't afford is none of your or your girlfriend's business. It comes down to this.... does Comcast recommend a minimum size... no. Are you accepting responsibility for any problems arising from that new tv you recommend? 

Who is to judge what is cost effective? I am...it's my family, my situation... youl better believe I will judge what is cost effective for me.

You seem very bright too and I really don't want to argue with you but you do seem to have the mentality that if something works for you then it must work for everyone. My point.... you have legacy dvr's in Minneapolis so I must have legacy dvr's in my local office. 

Anyway... you seem like a decent person who is really trying to help so I thank you for that. I just think you need to lighten up a bit on some things. Just because it works for you, don't mean it's good for everyone and their opinion is every bit as valid as yours (and your girl friend's).

I've been hanging around these forums since their inception.  Quite possibly longer than you. I'm not a newbie. I just never had a reason to complain until this collection of bugs and poorly designed software and hardware known as x1 was sold to me by Comcast. All they need to do is fix the legitimate bugs and I'll have no reason to post. 

I'm sure geek is a nice guy but the bottom line is that if your response is harsh or cynical or insulting then someone is probably going to call you on it.

Ps.... can't buy a new tv anyway...x1 doesn't support them (hdmi problems. I only buy Samsung tv's). I know, I know....I should cut Comcast a break and buy some other brand of tv in hopes x1 will work with it even if I don't like the tv. Maybe I should buy the same tv you have because it works well for you.

Comcast doesn't need to admit there is a font problem with the guide because there isn't one. It's not a bug, it's just a design choice. Some people have a problem reading it and allowing minimal font control will make it easier for them to see it without affecting those who like the font the way it is. It's up to Comcast as to whether they want to implement it or not. My gripe is with those who say go out and buy a new tv... show me the x1 minimum requirement for tv size and I'll shut my mouth or let Comcast provide me with a legacy box IN MY AREA not you area. Just for kicks I called Comcast local office (using their direct phone number for support) a few minutes ago and told them there are stacks of legacy boxes in Minneapolis and they still tell me they can't get them. I told them Rick said the boxes are available. They said...who's Rick. Lol. I guess your word isn't law with them. Would you like to call the the local office and tell them legacy boxes must be available in Voorhees because they are available in Minneapolis? 

Btw... . My specific area only uses Cisco or older scientific Atlanta legacy boxes. Motorola legacy boxes were never distributed in my area. Towns a few miles away were provided with Motorola boxes but not my town. So...that stack of legacy boxes in Minneapolis... are they Cisco/scientific Atlanta boxes or Motorola? Motorola boxes won't work here (according to the Comcast rep) 

I really appreciate your words on your parents,  the font issue and buying new tv and so forth. I also would love to know Comcast's X1 requirements for tv screen size,how far to sit from it, vision acuity level requirements,etc. It  upset me when I was urged to go buy  a new one JUST to accomodate Comcast. It was like I  was the only one with the issue and then so many joined me but it did no good.  I assume you know that in 2013 the font could be adjusted under general settings so the 'design' was already there. They ripped it out along with slo mo and frame by frame. and gave us so many other things most of us could care less about. Who is their audience these days? Seeims its either about kids  programming or social media  add ons. I just want to be able to read the screen...too much to ask I guess. We love our DVR and thats what took us to X1 in the first place and thank goodness it works 85% of how I expect it to. No one should have to go back to legacy box in order to READ text.

Regular Contributor

Thank you for your reply Neal... I will check with my parents next time I go over their house which is sometime this weekend and will contact you via pm with their account info. Although they aren't complaining I do notice them squinting an awful lot when looking at the new guide.

Terri, I am glad to make that post. I truly feel everyone's opinion is valuable and yes, I am very much aware that font adjustment was present in the past. 

Tired Retired.... thank you for the insult. I'm happy to annoy Rick and his little group of narrow minded minions. I hope you never have eye sight problems otherwise you might have to deal with people like you.

Most Valued Poster

MadMangs wrote:

Tired Retired.... thank you for the insult. 

You are most welcome sir.  Have yourself a comcastic day!

Cheers.  ;-)

Regular Contributor

Lol... comcastic... I like that one, it's a great insult. Congratulations. 

Regular Contributor

Please take your childish insults backchannel so I don't have to keep checking the new message e-mails just to see this nonsense.

Regular Contributor

You are right workerdummy. I'm done.

I hope the rest of you are done with the insults too.

Valued Contributor

Folks, let's keep this on topic please.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Regular Contributor

TerriB wrote:

MadMangs wrote:

I really appreciate your words on your parents,  the font issue and buying new tv and so forth. I also would love to know Comcast's X1 requirements for tv screen size,how far to sit from it, vision acuity level requirements,etc. It  upset me when I was urged to go buy  a new one JUST to accommodate Comcast. It was like I  was the only one with the issue and then so many joined me but it did no good.  I assume you know that in 2013 the font could be adjusted under general settings so the 'design' was already there. They ripped it out along with slo mo and frame by frame. and gave us so many other things most of us could care less about. Who is their audience these days? Seeims its either about kids  programming or social media  add ons. I just want to be able to read the screen...too much to ask I guess. We love our DVR and thats what took us to X1 in the first place and thank goodness it works 85% of how I expect it to. No one should have to go back to legacy box in order to READ text.

I'm with you. Too many of the posters have a very superior attitude toward peoples problems with X1. I too find the font size a little small when viewing a 55 " Sony in my family room 20 feet away. I had no such problems with the old guide ( which allowed you some control over the font, albeit not much).

If I put the tv on wide zoom the guide is 100 % easier to read as well as the pictures of the movie DVD box covers. Unfortunately, I must switch back to full to read the so called mini - guide correctly. I don't feel that it is unreasonable for older customers to expect some accommodation from Comcast.

Right now the biggest problem is Comcast is still having stability issues with the X1 platform. You always fix the show stoppers first before you address "window dressing" issues. Running a major software roll out is a lot like performing triage at a MASH unit. You always care for the critical cases first.

As of now I've had a couple of weeks without "connecting to your X1 experience", "DVR service unavailable",  "Hmmm remote doesn't seem to work" and so on.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

A nice solution would be to have the X1 menu screen have an option like a Internet browser has allowing you to select a "View Zoom" option:

100%

125%

150%

200%

250%

300%

400%

of course some provision would have to be made to allow you to scroll the screen to allow you to view the entire picture.

I believe Comcast will eventually get around to fixing some of these issues once the programmers can get out of "Crisis Mode:.

Merry Christmas everyone,

BJ

Most Valued Poster

The generally accepted proper fixed viewing distance for HDTV TV is as follows:

2.5 x the diagonal measure of the TV @ 20 degrees or less viewing angle. This measurement is a recommnedation from TV manufacturers, retailers, respected publications and various websites. This is not something I have made up.  CNET actually states that 1.5-2.0 x the diagonal measure is acceptable. Info from Wikipedia.  

Based on these generally accepted guidelines, you viewing your 55" at 20' is almost twice the recommended viewing distance.  This may be the reason you are having a dfficult time reading the guide.  

Do you still have difficulty viewing the guide from 11 feet, which is the recommended distance?

At 20' do you have difficulty viewing the news crawlers at the bottom of the screen, or is it just the guide?

Don't worry, I will no longer bring up the condition of anyones  eyesight.  I am sure it is fine and 20/20 or better.  That seems to offend many here.  

Cheers.

Contributor

How's that display resolution fix coming along?  Getting impatient over here having to spend 5 minutes resetting my resolution every time I want to watch a little TV.....  

Most Valued Poster

TiredRetired wrote:

2.5 x the diagonal measure of the TV @ 20 degrees or less viewing angle. This measurement is a recommnedation from TV manufacturers, retailers, respected publications and various websites. This is not something I have made up.  CNET actually states that 1.5-2.0 x the diagonal measure is acceptable. Info from Wikipedia.  

Based on these generally accepted guidelines, you viewing your 55" at 20' is almost twice the recommended viewing distance.  This may be the reason you are having a dfficult time reading the guide.  

Do you still have difficulty viewing the guide from 11 feet, which is the recommended distance?

At 20' do you have difficulty viewing the news crawlers at the bottom of the screen, or is it just the guide?

Don't worry, I will no longer bring up the condition of anyones  eyesight.  I am sure it is fine and 20/20 or better.  That seems to offend many here.  

Cheers.

TMI! We sit 8 feet from a 39"

Most Valued Poster

10Gauge wrote:

How's that display resolution fix coming along?  Getting impatient over here having to spend 5 minutes resetting my resolution every time I want to watch a little TV.....  

Guess what?  I think its a sad truth that Comcast is too busy adding window dressing fluff rather than give us the abillity to make text readable like we had with X1 in 2013. We are doomed to play with the resolution or walk up to the tv to read wearing tracks in the carpet. I asked Santa for a new pair of small strong glasses binocs like surgeons use.

Service Expert

TerriB wrote:

Terri,

Is that an SD TV?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Most Valued Poster

I'm sorry.  What does TMI mean?

Service Expert

TiredRetired wrote:

TMI=Too Much Information !!!!!   <VBG>

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Regular Contributor

TiredRetired wrote:

Cheers.

The viewing distance you advise is if you want your TV experience to be like going to Cinerama. You seem to miss the point that the posters are making about difficulty reading the guide. We all will probably have to learn to live with the current state of affairs but that doesn't mean customers complaints should be ignored.  If I followed your advise my couch would end up in the middle of my family room, blocking the door. I could jump trough the doorway and land on the couch. (If no one was on it ). My point is before X1 I had no trouble reading the guide at 20 ft viewing distance.

According to your  2.5 x diagonal formula, my TV should be a 96 " television for proper viewing at 20 ft. HAH ! 

Please deposit $20.000 in National Banke of Switzerland  Account #  FA234B3786KB2916 so I can buy a 100" 4K ultra TV.

Yeah, I know Cinerama went out of business years ago. Too Bad. I saw the premier of Star Wars in the 70's at the downtown Seattle Cinerama. Even though we had to stand in line for 4 hours to get in, it was well worth it. The ultra comfortable seats with cup holders and premium sound system plus the ultra wide curved viewing screen made the viewing experience unforgettable. No, Star wars was not shot using the Cinerama process. but you can thank the Cinerama theaters for introducing the general public to the comfortable seats and premium sound we enjoy in most theaters today.

Merry Christmas,

BJ

Contributor

MadMangs wrote:

Thank you for your reply Neal... I will check with my parents next time I go over their house which is sometime this weekend and will contact you via pm with their account info. Although they aren't complaining I do notice them squinting an awful lot when looking at the new guide.

Terri, I am glad to make that post. I truly feel everyone's opinion is valuable and yes, I am very much aware that font adjustment was present in the past. 

Tired Retired.... thank you for the insult. I'm happy to annoy Rick and his little group of narrow minded minions. I hope you never have eye sight problems otherwise you might have to deal with people like you.

I couldn't agree more MadMangs. I've grown tired of the little superiority dance some of the self-appointed geniuses here do by belittling our concerns. I've begun reporting their responses to the moderator and encourage others to do so. This forum is for a helpful exchange of ideas, not hubris.
Most Valued Poster

TiredRetired wrote:

'Too Much Information' and in this case I meant we don't need  to know all that to know when we can read and when we cannot. I am not being mean spirited. In my case at 8' from a 39" and not being able to read it  I am not prepared to sit so close that my breath fogs up the screen so  I  can read the darn text about a show.

Most Valued Poster

RobertWy wrote:

TerriB wrote:

Terri,

Is that an SD TV?

Robert, I am NOT going down this road again. SD/HD makes no difference as more with HD than SD have complained and I don't have to keep a stroke sheet to know that.

Regular Contributor

BeowolfJones wrote:

Yeah, I know Cinerama went out of business years ago. Too Bad. I saw the premier of Star Wars in the 70's at the downtown Seattle Cinerama. Even though we had to stand in line for 4 hours to get in, it was well worth it. The ultra comfortable seats with cup holders and premium sound system plus the ultra wide curved viewing screen made the viewing experience unforgettable. No, Star wars was not shot using the Cinerama process. but you can thank the Cinerama theaters for introducing the general public to the comfortable seats and premium sound we enjoy in most theaters today.

Merry Christmas,

BJ

Didn't one of the TV manufacturers make a curved screen TV within the last year or two? I remember reading a review on one that I think was a prototype. Were they trying to replicate Cinerama? I wonder if they ever made it to market (I bought a 32" analog TV back when they went into closeout pricing and the HD's dropped in price, I won't buy an HD until one of my SD's dies, so I don't keep track of them).

BTW, we had the 2nd Cinerama theater here. the Cooper in St. Louis Park, MN. I never saw a movie there. I wish I had.

Most Valued Poster

TerriB wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

'Too Much Information' and in this case I meant we don't need  to know all that to know when we can read and when we cannot. I am not being mean spirited. In my case at 8' from a 39" and not being able to read it  I am not prepared to sit so close that my breath fogs up the screen so  I  can read the darn text about a show.

No problem. This is the internet after all.  Who cares what others think.  As I have stated earlier sit wherever you feel like it Terri, I really do not care where you and anyone else here sits.  Those figures are guidlines that I posted. Many here have been kind enough to give me credit for inventing it, but I must digress.  I did not.   I just believe that maybe Comcast took that into consideration when they designed the font size.  Then again maybe they did not, I really do not know.  

As I also stated earlier, I sit 12 feet away from my 50" set and it works for me.  Apparently, I am the only one here that works for and that is fine.  They are simply guidlines and nothing more.  

At any rate, keep up the good fight and maybe Comcast will fix this for you in your lifetime.  

Cheers mate.  

Problem Solver

I am 14' away from my 160".. I want my font smaller.....

Merry xmas every one!

I would have sent cards, but I could not decide on a font that everyone would agree on...
Regular Contributor

Samsung is selling their curved screen 4k ultra TV's today.  Funny, Cinerama had curved screens back in the late 60's and 70's. the cost of the special theaters and the three synchronized projectors required to show the movies doomed. the enterprise to failure. One of the few movies shot in Cinerama was "How the West was Won". Newer releases on DVD has cleaned up the obvious splices between the three images but you can still see them if you look closely.

The more I think about it the more I like my idea of turning the X1 platform into a Internet browser type of system complete with wireless mouse. Come on Comcast, time to think outside the box. Wrap a browser around the whole thing and Voila ! you've got a handy dandy new look with all kinds of built in advantages.

I hook my laptop to my big screen via HDMI and streaming Amazon Prime is a snap. I just need to make a few adjustments for sending the output to a second screen via the HDMI port and I'm ready.

If Comcast went this way they could put a mini trakball on the next generation of remotes and the numeric keypad could change to text like a smart phone's does. Texting mavin's could type alphanumeric stuff with their thumbs faster than I can make this post. The browsers View zoom would solve the text too small issue and the browsers scroll bars would allow you to view the parts of the image clipped on the screen.

An old boss of mine once said , " that's a great idea you have, I'm glad I thought of it !"

Merry Christmas,

BJ

Regular Contributor

BeowolfJones wrote:

Samsung is selling their curved screen 4k ultra TV's today.  Funny, Cinerama had curved screens back in the late 60's and 70's. the cost of the special theaters and the three synchronized projectors required to show the movies doomed. the enterprise to failure. One of the few movies shot in Cinerama was "How the West was Won". Newer releases on DVD has cleaned up the obvious splices between the three images but you can still see them if you look closely.

The more I think about it the more I like my idea of turning the X1 platform into a Internet browser type of system complete with wireless mouse. Come on Comcast, time to think outside the box. Wrap a browser around the whole thing and Voila ! you've got a handy dandy new look with all kinds of built in advantages.

I hook my laptop to my big screen via HDMI and streaming Amazon Prime is a snap. I just need to make a few adjustments for sending the output to a second screen via the HDMI port and I'm ready.

If Comcast went this way they could put a mini trakball on the next generation of remotes and the numeric keypad could change to text like a smart phone's does. Texting mavin's could type alphanumeric stuff with their thumbs faster than I can make this post. The browsers View zoom would solve the text too small issue and the browsers scroll bars would allow you to view the parts of the image clipped on the screen.

An old boss of mine once said , " that's a great idea you have, I'm glad I thought of it !"

Merry Christmas,

BJ

Thanks for the Samsung info.

Web TV has already been done and wasn't very successful! lol

With my Roku and Play On, and in some cases X1's Send to TV Beta, I can watch pretty much anything on TV I could watch on the web. Now if they would get Send to TV Beta to work with X1 Companion Boxes, i'd be set!

Regular Contributor

workerdummy wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

Merry Christmas,

BJ

With my Roku and Play On, and in some cases X1's Send to TV Beta, I can watch pretty much anything on TV I could watch on the web. Now if they would get Send to TV Beta to work with X1 Companion Boxes, i'd be set!

I'm not talking about web based TV. I'm talking about using a browser interface to drive the X1 platform. Esentially a different way to use the TV content already available from Comcast.

Regular Contributor

BeowolfJones wrote:

workerdummy wrote:

I'm not talking about web based TV. I'm talking about using a browser interface to drive the X1 platform. Esentially a different way to use the TV content already available from Comcast.

That was a joke, son! - Foghorn Leghorn
Regular Contributor

H\\

workerdummy wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

workerdummy wrote:

That was a joke, son! - Foghorn Leghorn

I say, I say let me know if you need any help tying your punkins down !

Service Expert

gotpizza wrote:

Merry xmas every one!

I would have sent cards, but I could not decide on a font that everyone would agree on...

Back at ya' Shane!!!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Problem Solver

So we are all done with the font questions, and going into the new year will leave it in 2004? Yes the 2004 was on purpose!

I will leave you with this one question...
what is the point of going through all the headaches of getting x1 and not have proper TV to support it?
Regular Contributor

Deleted original post.... not worth starting the argument all over again.

Most Valued Poster

BeowolfJones wrote:

The viewing distance you advise is if you want your TV experience to be like going to Cinerama. You seem to miss the point that the posters are making about difficulty reading the guide. We all will probably have to learn to live with the current state of affairs but that doesn't mean customers complaints should be ignored.  If I followed your advise my couch would end up in the middle of my family room, blocking the door. I could jump trough the doorway and land on the couch. (If no one was on it ). My point is before X1 I had no trouble reading the guide at 20 ft viewing distance.

According to your  2.5 x diagonal formula, my TV should be a 96 " television for proper viewing at 20 ft. HAH ! 

Please deposit $20.000 in National Banke of Switzerland  Account #  FA234B3786KB2916 so I can buy a 100" 4K ultra TV.

Merry Christmas,

BJ

I guess this is going to be my parting shot here as I am sure the mods will soon ban me but it will be totally worth it.  

I have been here about 5 years now and this post is the dumbest post I have ever seen posted here. What your so called Cinerama and mythical swiss bank accounts has to do with X1, viewing distances and font sies is totally beyond me.  Your post contributed nothing to the problem.  At least I tried to post some guidlines that you do not agree with. Fine.

I freely admit that this post does not contribute anything either but at least in my five years I tried to contribute and most likely failed many times.  You, on the other hand do not even try.  That, sir, is the definition of a troll and you fit the bill 100%.  

Email Expert

Thread closed -------pointless flaming.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon