discussions

Upcoming X1 Updates

ANSWERED
Service Expert
Moved:

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - Access Denied

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I noticed something new from a recent update and really enjoy it. The new is that when you click the “last” button, it is much quicker and snappier to bring up the tiles of the last 8 programs/channels watched. I also noticed the “for you” page that shows just recorded, recently watched, top 100 tv shows, etc. is also snappier to load. Great job on this update as I personally rely on the “last” and “for you” screens to choose what to watch. I look forward to further improvements like this in upcoming updates. 

Regular Contributor

brandonbob2376 wrote:

I noticed something new from a recent update and really enjoy it. The new is that when you click the “last” button, it is much quicker and snappier to bring up the tiles of the last 8 programs/channels watched. I also noticed the “for you” page that shows just recorded, recently watched, top 100 tv shows, etc. is also snappier to load. Great job on this update as I personally rely on the “last” and “for you” screens to choose what to watch. I look forward to further improvements like this in upcoming updates. 

I didn't notice any improvement in response time.  However I am still saddened by the fact that LAST brings up deleted recordings.  Even if they are permanently deleted recordings, they show up in LAST.  To me, that diminishes the usefuleness of the LAST function.

Regular Contributor

ThomT wrote:

brandonbob2376 wrote:

I didn't notice any improvement in response time.  However I am still saddened by the fact that LAST brings up deleted recordings.  Even if they are permanently deleted recordings, they show up in LAST.  To me, that diminishes the usefuleness of the LAST function.

The benefit of having the deleted items in “last” is that when you click on it you can watch the next episode in that series without searching for the series. You will notice if you highlight a deleted item in “last” you now have two options. One is to restore by clicking “info” but now if you click the ok button on the remote it will take you to that series episode list. I think this is quite useful. 

Most Valued Poster

brandonbob2376 wrote:

Happy that you have discovered the function of the 'last' button being snappier. Its always been fast for us and we use it all the time.

Official Employee

brandonbob2376 wrote:

ThomT wrote:

brandonbob2376 wrote:

The benefit of having the deleted items in “last” is that when you click on it you can watch the next episode in that series without searching for the series. You will notice if you highlight a deleted item in “last” you now have two options. One is to restore by clicking “info” but now if you click the ok button on the remote it will take you to that series episode list. I think this is quite useful. 

Update 1.80

Voice "Did You Mean" Update

Voice disambiguation screen displays content with poster art instead of a list.

Update 1.81

Enhanced Text Readability

Additional screens are included in the Enhanced Text Readability setting, making it easier to read description text

Description text on Entity Pages, Mini Info, and Episode Guide will use the Enhanced Text Readability changes.

Enhanced Text Readability=Press the B button and scroll down to Enhanced Text Readability and press OK

Playlist Improvements

Continued improvements to Playlists make it easier to find and play music videos continuously

Last Watched Update

Customers can more easily continue watching time shifted programs from the Last Watched row

Episodes of a TV series are now rolled up and represented as one tile

When the tile is selected:

If there's a resume point, play back from that point and display episode level information under the tile

If there is not a resume point because the episode has been marked watched, play the next sequential episode and display "Watch Next Episode" under the tile

If the next sequential episode isn't available to watch immediately, the customer will go to the episode guide where they can set a recording, purchase the episode, or find a different episode

Does not include Netflix episode

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Regular Contributor

Thanks Andrew! Great updates, as mentioned above I have already been enjoying them. 

Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates XRE 1.79.02

Please fix the favorites guide. I want to select this but for some reason you guys took the ability to view the new channel neighborhood channels while on this guide. What’s the point of the new channel neighborhoods if we cannot access via the favorites guide?
Regular Contributor

JMO29 wrote:
Please fix the favorites guide. I want to select this but for some reason you guys took the ability to view the new channel neighborhood channels while on this guide. What’s the point of the new channel neighborhoods if we cannot access via the favorites guide?

Yes I agree please fix this. It is very frustrating not being able to get to the channel guide the way we want it.

Regular Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Update 1.80

Voice "Did You Mean" Update

Voice disambiguation screen displays content with poster art instead of a list.

Update 1.81

Enhanced Text Readability

Additional screens are included in the Enhanced Text Readability setting, making it easier to read description text

Description text on Entity Pages, Mini Info, and Episode Guide will use the Enhanced Text Readability changes.

Enhanced Text Readability=Press the B button and scroll down to Enhanced Text Readability and press OK

Playlist Improvements

Continued improvements to Playlists make it easier to find and play music videos continuously

Last Watched Update

Customers can more easily continue watching time shifted programs from the Last Watched row

Episodes of a TV series are now rolled up and represented as one tile

When the tile is selected:

If there's a resume point, play back from that point and display episode level information under the tile

If there is not a resume point because the episode has been marked watched, play the next sequential episode and display "Watch Next Episode" under the tile

If the next sequential episode isn't available to watch immediately, the customer will go to the episode guide where they can set a recording, purchase the episode, or find a different episode

Does not include Netflix episode

Hi Andrew,

Is there any chance we'll get an update that fixes the delete bug?

It's been about a year, seems like maybe it would make the list.

I would think Comcast could respond to this, since it's not some secret new feature.

Thanks

Regular Contributor

I tried to use my Favorites list today and it seems to be getting worse. Left off many channels that are marked favorites but not showing.

Official Employee

Tctc, I looked it up, and it was fixed briefly and there are still calls coming in about and being investigated. Sorry that’s all I have.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Tctc, I looked it up, and it was fixed briefly and there are still calls coming in about and being investigated. Sorry that’s all I have.

Thanks for the reply.  I thought maybe it had been fixed, but nothing would delete last night, so alas, no.

Most Valued Poster

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Andrew, every now and then the delete function works and my hopes are high but then it gets worse. Seems such a non rocket science thing to fix.

Valued Contributor

TerriB wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Andrew, every now and then the delete function works and my hopes are high but then it gets worse. Seems such a non rocket science thing to fix.

This delete thing is very strange. I can go days and things work perfectly then boom it'll happen three or four times in a day. As a retired software engineer I can attest that intermitten bugs are hard to track down but this has gone on for a couple of years now. I am wondering if anyone is even working on it. 

Regular Contributor

I have found that often a program will still be in the recordings listing after deletion but it also is listed among "deleted Recordings". I you delete it permanently from the deleted recordings it will usually disappear from the recordings list as well. Sometimes you have to do a "Sync DVR" function as well to get the deletion to work. I agree with everyone that this is a problem that has been around almost since the inception of the X! system. I suspect that a deletion variable flag is getting miss-set somewhere in the X1 program. As I have stated in the past,  writing programs that interact with peoples actions is the most difficult type of programming because you never know what the user will decide to do and covering every possible path a user will take within a program is really hard to debug. That said, this problem should have been permanently fixed a long time ago.

Most Valued Poster

BeowolfJones wrote:

I have found that often a program will still be in the recordings listing after deletion but it also is listed among "deleted Recordings". I you delete it permanently from the deleted recordings it will usually disappear from the recordings list as well. Sometimes you have to do a "Sync DVR" function as well to get the deletion to work. I agree with everyone that this is a problem that has been around almost since the inception of the X! system. I suspect that a deletion variable flag is getting miss-set somewhere in the X1 program. As I have stated in the past,  writing programs that interact with peoples actions is the most difficult type of programming because you never know what the user will decide to do and covering every possible path a user will take within a program is really hard to debug. That said, this problem should have been permanently fixed a long time ago.

We sure have to do a lot of workarounds to do something that should be so simple...delete a program. Our recorded list is very very long and having those programs listed there is confusing and annoying. I have been using 'sync dvr' a lot and have to take several steps just to get to it just because I can't just delete something. I really try to ignore the ones that still show up in the recorded list because I know the next day they will be gone but end up having to sync dvr anyway.  Permanently deleting them from the 'deleted recordings' doesn't work  well for me. The other annoyance is that when you try to bring up the program that won't delete to try another way to delete it...you get a DVR not working error...really?

Regular Contributor

TerriB wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

We sure have to do a lot of workarounds to do something that should be so simple...delete a program. Our recorded list is very very long and having those programs listed there is confusing and annoying. I have been using 'sync dvr' a lot and have to take several steps just to get to it just because I can't just delete something. I really try to ignore the ones that still show up in the recorded list because I know the next day they will be gone but end up having to sync dvr anyway.  Permanently deleting them from the 'deleted recordings' doesn't work  well for me. The other annoyance is that when you try to bring up the program that won't delete to try another way to delete it...you get a DVR not working error...really?

The fact that they haven't replaced that error message with a pertinent error message, and info on how to get around the issue, shows just how JV the whole development team is.  From the leadership on down.  Pride of workmanship couldn't be lower.  But when you have a virtual monopoly it doesn't bite you like it would if there was an alternative product.

Regular Contributor

tctc wrote:

TerriB wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

The fact that they haven't replaced that error message with a pertinent error message, and info on how to get around the issue, shows just how JV the whole development team is.  From the leadership on down.  Pride of workmanship couldn't be lower.  But when you have a virtual monopoly it doesn't bite you like it would if there was an alternative product.

True ! I have tried to deduce what kind of programmers made this product but as a retired IT professional I keep coming back to your conclusions. At best X1 is still a quirky product and it seems that the way it works speaks volumes more than I can.

At least it hasn't had a major system wide break in a while. It would be interesting to know how distributed the server system is  that supports "On Demand", The guide and many other back end functions that the current "Cloud" based programming paradigm uses, since this is the source of the slow response we experience at times. (press remote button and the count to ten to see if it worked) Familiar ? Unfortunately, yes.

Regular Contributor

TerriB wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

I have never had this issue in all of my years with X1 and I use my DVR daily for many programs. I wonder if it is because I have only one box. It doesn't really matter why but I am thankful I have never seen this issue.

Regular Contributor

I have that problem all the time. Delete something that is still there so have to sync DVR  quite often.I assume it is because of the way my system is wired.. My system has a very early split in the line back at the box in the basement so  I think some signals don't get to the DVR.

Most Valued Poster

brandonbob2376 wrote:

TerriB wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

I have never had this issue in all of my years with X1 and I use my DVR daily for many programs. I wonder if it is because I have only one box. It doesn't really matter why but I am thankful I have never seen this issue.

You can add this to your  Thanksgiving blessings. The is a real issue for so many. I have always had one box and have been plagued by the inability to delete for a couple of years.  There are specific shows that rarely delete....examples...The View and CBS this Morning.

Contributor

Is anyone from Comcast willing to comment on this??
Regular Contributor

JMO29 wrote:

while I do not work for comcast, I am willing to bet that your question is to vague because "comment on this" does not tell anyone what you are asking about. Maybe you can provide us and Comcast more information as to what your issue is?

Valued Contributor

brandonbob2376 wrote:

JMO29 wrote:

while I do not work for comcast, I am willing to bet that your question is to vague because "comment on this" does not tell anyone what you are asking about. Maybe you can provide us and Comcast more information as to what your issue is?

It's not rocket science. He is talking about the current discussion. The delete issue. 

Regular Contributor

m45warrior1 wrote:

brandonbob2376 wrote:

JMO29 wrote:

It's not rocket science. He is talking about the current discussion. The delete issue. 

that was rude. he could be talking about anything that has to do with upcoming updates. there is no way to assume that he is talking about the delete issue since he did not say so and particularly because comcast has already replied above from comcast andrew about the delete issue. my question was fair and reasonable and your response was not. thank you though

Official Employee

m45warrior1 wrote:

brandonbob2376 wrote:

JMO29 wrote:

Actually, they were referring to something totally different. As you'll see in the next post.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Official Employee

JMO29 wrote:

I believe it was taken away because it was creating multiple favorites of the same network. I believe it went back to the old way, because it affected less people.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Contributor

My Box XRE 1.81.02

I have noticed a problem and have a workaround. When you stop a series recording close to the end the list you get from using the "Last" button has a title "Play the next episode". If you hit "OK" it indeed does play the next  episode. If you were not through watching all of the show you have to go into your recordings listing to select and continue play.  You can play the episode you stopped using the last button and selecting the show and then pressing "info". This will bring up the stopped episode and you can then select resume. It's a lot faster than having to go back to your recordings listing to continue the episode.

Most Valued Poster

WindsurfMaui wrote:

I have that problem all the time. Delete something that is still there so have to sync DVR  quite often.I assume it is because of the way my system is wired.. My system has a very early split in the line back at the box in the basement so  I think some signals don't get to the DVR.

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with the way you are wired.  There are just too many who have the delete problem to be a wiring issue.

Regular Contributor

I believe the delete problem is cloud storage related. It would explain why some people have more trouble deleting than others due to their local back-end servers not  functioning as well as other peoples area servers. The X1 programmers still seem to have not gotten a handle on this issue even though it has been around for years. Sync DVR aligns the local DVR storage with the cloud.

Most Valued Poster

BeowolfJones wrote:

I believe the delete problem is cloud storage related. It would explain why some people have more trouble deleting than others due to their local back-end servers not  functioning as well as other peoples area servers. The X1 programmers still seem to have not gotten a handle on this issue even though it has been around for years. Sync DVR aligns the local DVR storage with the cloud.

Another reason why I wish the Cloud would blow away

Service Expert

TerriB wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

It doesn't appear to be 'cloud DVR related' and sync DVR does nothing with the cloud. Sync DVR is a command to the cloud scheduler to 'adjust' (force) the home DVRs to reflect what the scheduler knows it should be. so if 'episode 9' has been deleted the cloud scheduler knows that  and 'synchronizes' the home DVR recording list to the cloud scheduler.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

It doesn't appear to be 'cloud DVR related' and sync DVR does nothing with the cloud. Sync DVR is a command to the cloud scheduler to 'adjust' (force) the home DVRs to reflect what the scheduler knows it should be. so if 'episode 9' has been deleted the cloud scheduler knows that  and 'synchronizes' the home DVR recording list to the cloud scheduler.

It's just different terminology (cloud vs server).  Comcast calls it a cloud DVR.  But the whole DVR and X1 platform is essentially "in the cloud" to some people, because you can't sent a signal from your remote and have your physical DVR do anything without it first contacting a server.  So it's not technically a cloud DVR issue, but it is a server synch issue.  And the reason there is any need for the server to be involved with deleting from the physical DVR in the first place, is due to the implementation of using a server (the "cloud"), to do everything.  Not just a backup, or on Demand.  Which is also the reason you can't use the DVR during an outage.

Sync DVR seems to resolve whatever miscommunication is going on between the actual DVR and the server.

Regular Contributor

tctc wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

TerriB wrote:

BeowolfJones wrote:

It's just different terminology (cloud vs server).  Comcast calls it a cloud DVR.  But the whole DVR and X1 platform is essentially "in the cloud" to some people, because you can't sent a signal from your remote and have your physical DVR do anything without it first contacting a server.  So it's not technically a cloud DVR issue, but it is a server synch issue.  And the reason there is any need for the server to be involved with deleting from the physical DVR in the first place, is due to the implementation of using a server (the "cloud"), to do everything.  Not just a backup, or on Demand.  Which is also the reason you can't use the DVR during an outage.

Sync DVR seems to resolve whatever miscommunication is going on between the actual DVR and the server.

Thank you. It now begs the question why we even have a hard drive based DVR when the cloud/server is now woven so tightly into the whole process (I still think it is a bad idea but I know I'm singing to an empty room as far as Comcast caring what I think). When was the last time you had a Comcast outage and had to go to ye olde trusty Blu-ray player to be entertained because the DVR box was rendered useless ?  Pre X1 at least allowed you to watch a recorded show if the main cable was out.