members

online now

discussions

Upcoming X1 Updates

SOLVED
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 51 of 3,000

I agree with Laurie, the new settings menu stinks.  Before I could see all the sttings without having to enter each individual screen.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 52 of 3,000

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Something I came across that wasn't on the list. If you go to watch a repeat ( using World Series of Poker as an example) and it's past the start time, you have the option to restart, and the program is pulled automatically from On Demand.

I saw that last night on my companion box. I selected to restart, nothing happened and the notification box stayed on the screen. I had to restart the box to get rid of it. Looks like it still need work.

Since I'm already typing, the same show the restart option came up on, after the restart, I set the show to record as it was late. When I went to watch it this morning, it looks like the box did it's nightly auto-restart during recording, splitting the recording into two files. Of course the second part started with "The End", cutting off the end of the show.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 53 of 3,000

How about updating the most simple feature of the box so it is at least as good as the old crappy DVRs?

Got my X1 about a month ago.  Hitting page down or page up on the X1 on the guide is a painful process.  The next channels appear, yet they're empty rows.  A second later the shows fill in.  This is much, much worse than the non-X1 boxes, which allow you to scroll through the guide as quickly as you can hit page down.  It is shocking to me that the people who write the code for this box do not at least pre-load a set number of channels in either direction from the channel the guide opens on.

Menu animations, for example loading up the Saved menu, are choppy.  Why spend time creating fancy menu animatons when the box isn't even powerful enough to play them smoothly?  Even the Recordings page, with no poster art, literally just a list of folders/file names on the box, can't load smoothly.

I just had a technician send a signal twice to no avail.  I hope I have a lemon box, but I fear that the software in all of the boxes is just subpar.  Put some effort into making simple things like the guide and the list of DVR'ed shows run smoothly.

It is inexcusable to release a hyped up product that is in many ways inferior to its predecessors.  Almost to the point where the overall experience is worse.  If it weren't for the 4-tuner recording, I'd go back to the old box in a second.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 54 of 3,000

x1_is_slow wrote:

How about updating the most simple feature of the box so it is at least as good as the old crappy DVRs?

Got my X1 about a month ago.  Hitting page down or page up on the X1 on the guide is a painful process.  The next channels appear, yet they're empty rows.  A second later the shows fill in.  This is much, much worse than the non-X1 boxes, which allow you to scroll through the guide as quickly as you can hit page down.  It is shocking to me that the people who write the code for this box do not at least pre-load a set number of channels in either direction from the channel the guide opens on.

Menu animations, for example loading up the Saved menu, are choppy.  Why spend time creating fancy menu animatons when the box isn't even powerful enough to play them smoothly?  Even the Recordings page, with no poster art, literally just a list of folders/file names on the box, can't load smoothly.

I just had a technician send a signal twice to no avail.  I hope I have a lemon box, but I fear that the software in all of the boxes is just subpar.  Put some effort into making simple things like the guide and the list of DVR'ed shows run smoothly.

It is inexcusable to release a hyped up product that is in many ways inferior to its predecessors.  Almost to the point where the overall experience is worse.  If it weren't for the 4-tuner recording, I'd go back to the old box in a second.

My box works fine none of the issues you are talking about. Sounds like you might have signal issues or a defective box. I'd call for a service visit. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 55 of 3,000

Good to know, I hope its that simple. They are coming out this weekend.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 56 of 3,000

x1_is_slow wrote:

Reach out to comcast linda on the issue you are having with the guide. It is not the box.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 57 of 3,000

x1_is_slow wrote:

We have had X1 since May and have the slow guide program population,etc  but the problem only started recently which tells me it may be due to something in one of the version releases.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 58 of 3,000

I have a recommendation for an update:

Remove the 90-minute time limit on Favorites.

If Comcast can't make it permanent, remove Favorites because it is useless the way it is now.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 59 of 3,000

RobertWy wrote:

If Comcast can't make it permanent, remove Favorites because it is useless the way it is now.

I totally agree. We no longer use favorites. It causes more aggrevation than its worth.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 60 of 3,000
The only option we miss from FIOS is chapters. After the recording was done it was broken into 10 or 12 minute chapters that you could choose with the arrow to jump ahead easily without having to ffwd.

The latest software version is buggy, had to reboot the box just to get a picture today.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 61 of 3,000

RobertWy wrote:

I agree re: removing the 90-minute time limit.  It's stupid, and clearly intended to force users to see the channels they're not subscribed to (in the hopes that we'll send them more money).

But don't ask for Favorites to be removed entirely.  That's what they want.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 62 of 3,000

SuperDave426 wrote:
The only option we miss from FIOS is chapters. After the recording was done it was broken into 10 or 12 minute chapters that you could choose with the arrow to jump ahead easily without having to ffwd.

The latest software version is buggy, had to reboot the box just to get a picture today.

when/if that happens again would you do a test? hit the power button and release (light will go off) wait 10 seconds or s then turn back on. give it about 10 secs after picture returns and see if recordings etc are available.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 63 of 3,000

TerriB wrote:

x1_is_slow wrote:

We have had X1 since May and have the slow guide program population,etc  but the problem only started recently which tells me it may be due to something in one of the version releases.

My X1 is less slow than buggy.

Sometimes it's un responsive then answers many commands at one time.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 64 of 3,000

chuclkw wrote:

TerriB wrote:

x1_is_slow wrote:

My X1 is less slow than buggy.

Sometimes it's un responsive then answers many commands at one time.

Chuck this is caused by low upstream/downstream snr.levels. Unfortunately it is not an easy task for Comcast to track down where the signal bleed is coming from. If the noise is not in your home a line tech will spend hours, and sometimes days cleaning up the network . I suggest getting a tech out there.....

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 65 of 3,000

Ever since we got the October release the Sports App is erratic to say the least. Using 'C' doesn't do anything in most cases now except to  put a thin black vertical line on the left side of the screen  which can only be removed by going to the guide and then exiting. OR the App window shows up where it belongs on the right side of the screen and immediately disappears. Going to the Sports App via the Xfinity button  works sometimes and sometimes as soon we click on it it shows up and then disappears. I have restarted but no change.  Does anyone else seeing this and/or know if this is a bug in the release? The sports App has been greatt to keep up with MLB playoff games except when its not.

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 66 of 3,000

TerriB wrote:

Ever since we got the October release the Sports App is erratic to say the least. Using 'C' doesn't do anything in most cases now except to  put a thin black vertical line on the left side of the screen  which can only be removed by going to the guide and then exiting. OR the App window shows up where it belongs on the right side of the screen and immediately disappears. Going to the Sports App via the Xfinity button  works sometimes and sometimes as soon we click on it it shows up and then disappears. I have restarted but no change.  Does anyone else seeing this and/or know if this is a bug in the release? The sports App has been greatt to keep up with MLB playoff games except when its not.

I'm on 1.46.05 and the sport app works fine. 

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 67 of 3,000

m45warrior1 wrote:

TerriB wrote:

I'm on 1.46.05 and the sport app works fine. 

Glad to hear it

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 68 of 3,000

Laurie

I've pushed a more stable firmware version to your 150 box.  This will cause it to reboot.

Let me know if that helped

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 69 of 3,000
Feature I mis the most is the reminder option. Any plans to bring this back???
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 70 of 3,000

Genesis722 wrote:
Feature Imis the most is the reminder option. Any plans to bring this back???

It has always been there...Set a recording, when it is ready for viewing it will show in your saved list. Not even tivo DVRs have this feature from 1995...

Posted by
Contributor

Message 71 of 3,000
There was a reminder feature that would pop up at the time the program started after u set it for a sporting event or a movie u wanted to watch. Not a reminder of a recording to be made
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 72 of 3,000

Genesis722 wrote:
There was a reminder feature that would pop up at the time the program started after u set it for a sporting event or a movie u wanted to watch. Not a reminder of a recording to be made

reminder (red circle white R) was used by non-DVR boxes instead of record since they could not record. (HD without DVR)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 73 of 3,000
It was an option when u hit info on a program, I had it on the dvr before x1. U could pick reminder and 5 minutes before program aired up would pop a reminder that program was about to start. It was a cool option any one else remember this????
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 74 of 3,000

Genesis722 wrote:
It was an option when u hit info on a program, I had it on the dvr before x1. U could pick reminder and 5 minutes before program aired up would pop a reminder that program was about to start. It was a cool option any one else remember this????

on my Scientific Atlanta when it was going to 'takeover' the tuner i was using watching live it would warn me and offer to not record.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Valued Contributor

Message 75 of 3,000

Genesis722 wrote:

Maybe one day they will add this feature. Until then if you have problems remembering when your shows

start get an alarm clock.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 76 of 3,000

Alright guys.  Lets keep our comments helpful and supportive. 

If you feel the need to express your feelings, please use another outlet than the Comcast Forums

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 77 of 3,000

RobertWy wrote:

Hi RobertWy,

Can you (or anyone else experiencing this) give us a little more information on the 90 minute Favorites time limit? Where exactly are you seeing this? Is it in Saved>Favorites ? What exactly happens after 90 minutes?

Thanks so much!

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 78 of 3,000

ComcastGwen wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Hi RobertWy,

Can you (or anyone else experiencing this) give us a little more information on the 90 minute Favorites time limit? Where exactly are you seeing this? Is it in Saved>Favorites ? What exactly happens after 90 minutes?

Thanks so much!

If you select Favorites as your guide view, it only stays selected for 90 mins, then it reverts to All Channels.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 79 of 3,000

Gwen,

Why are you asking this forum about how this feature works? Don't you have X1? Don't you use it on a regular basis? This issue is months old and you are just now asking about it?

The last thing the members of this forum should be asked to do is teach Comcast employees about their own product. Any Comcast employee contributing to this forum should be regular X1 user.

I appreciate the efforts of any Comcast employees trying to move X1 forward but we need experts here...

ComcastGwen wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Hi RobertWy,

Thanks so much!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 80 of 3,000

Hi Rick, 

I'm very familiar with our Favorites features, however we have more than one area in the product where Favorites are shown thus more than one area where Favorites could have "not been sticking."  It is helpful to learn that you mean "Favorites Guide View" specifically rather than "Favorites" in general.

Thanks!

RickGr4 wrote:

Gwen,

Why are you asking this forum about how this feature works? Don't you have X1? Don't you use it on a regular basis? This issue is months old and you are just now asking about it?

The last thing the members of this forum should be asked to do is teach Comcast employees about their own product. Any Comcast employee contributing to this forum should be regular X1 user.

I appreciate the efforts of any Comcast employees trying to move X1 forward but we need experts here...

ComcastGwen wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

Hi RobertWy,

Thanks so much!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 81 of 3,000

Hi ComcastGwen,

When is Comcast going to allow users put all the shows in the favorites list in alphabetical order?

I have lots of shows in my favorites list and they are all over the place in the order that I added them.

alphabetical order is a must for the favorite shows feature!

Please add this!

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 82 of 3,000

My Favorites list is in channel number order.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 83 of 3,000

ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Rick, 

I'm very familiar with our Favorites features, however we have more than one area in the product where Favorites are shown thus more than one area where Favorites could have "not been sticking."  It is helpful to learn that you mean "Favorites Guide View" specifically rather than "Favorites" in general.

Thanks!

Gwen,
There is only one Favorites list.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 84 of 3,000

Ok folks lets give Gwen a break here. Comcast is a complex company. Even within the x1 team I am sure it is broken down by depts that handle different aspects of the operating system. After reading the first post she made on this issue it is clear that she was thinking of the favorites not in the guide. Sometimes we just have to step back and realize that not everyone at Comcast is into tv as we are.

I myself am encouraged that employees are finally taking active roles within the x1 section of the Comcast forum. I realize that we have been treated as the read headed step child of Comcast in even recent past. Now it looks as that has been changing.

They know that they are a long way from making x1 what it should be, but we will never get there with hatred. I think hatred will drive them back into the dungeon of the Comcast lab....

I still have two x1 dvrs along with my tivo. If Comcast can make the x1 function at the same level as tivo, than I will ship my tivo back to tivo...

Behind the scenes many Comcast guru's have contacted me and others within this forum. That has never happened in the past. I am going to take a leap of faith that they really want to make the product work. This doesn't mean things like reminders will ever get added, but just getting a stable product would be a milestone. I think that is what they are shifting there focus on at this point.

I am not the boss here, no one really is. In saying that can we try hard to add constructive ideas to Comcast without making them feel like they are dirt in our eyes?

I myself am guilty of anger towards Comcast people, but I want to change this...

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 85 of 3,000

Thanks Fred and m45!

Fred has the package arrived in the north country? Are you still waiting for that big brown truck?

What is Al Kaprielian saying about the weather these days????

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 86 of 3,000

The X1 search feature is really lame.  As others have noted, I would really like to have the keyboard back.  The present system is really clumsy, and the unresponsiveness of the X2 remote does not help.

The latest problem that I encountered was when trying to search for Masterpiece Mystery.  When I entered Masterpiece all sorts of hits were shown, but when I added Mystery there were zero hits.  Scrolling down the Masterpiece hits list I found Masterpiece Mystery.  What the heck?.  When I clicked on this hit, set the options that I wanted and saved my selection I thought that I was done.  No such luck!  My DVR began to record any program that started with Mystery totally ignoring the Mystery part.  It also started recording these programs on both channels 801 and 802, and there was no way the I could specify that I only wanted programs on 802.

Please fix this mess ASAP.

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 87 of 3,000

Since the last update my box freezes up on average once a day.  This has not happened in the over 14 months I have had X1.  

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 88 of 3,000
Package arrives Thursday. Got the card today. Al is shivering right now. Lol
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 89 of 3,000

TiredRetired wrote:

Since the last update my box freezes up on average once a day.  This has not happened in the over 14 months I have had X1.  

TR can you go into detail what you are doing prior to the freeze? It does make a difference to my response..

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 90 of 3,000

gotpizza wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

TR can you go into detail what you are doing prior to the freeze? It does make a difference to my response..

Yeah, I know, all in the details.  I continue to get a picture and audio when this happens.  The box just will not accept remote commands. Nada, zip.  I have two remotes and happens on both so not the remote.  

Usually happens when I am in the middle of multiple remote commands.  One time scrolling the guide, another while searching and tonite while FF on a recorded show.  

Thinking this may be my ticket for my brandy new Arris.   :-)

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 91 of 3,000

TiredRetired wrote:

gotpizza wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

Yeah, I know, all in the details.  I continue to get a picture and audio when this happens.  The box just will not accept remote commands. Nada, zip.  I have two remotes and happens on both so not the remote.  

Usually happens when I am in the middle of multiple remote commands.  One time scrolling the guide, another while searching and tonite while FF on a recorded show.  

You are losing the conection to the sever when this occurs. I would start looking at the signals on that outlet. It is not the box(unless the modem is on it's way out).

Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 92 of 3,000

gotpizza wrote:

Ok folks lets give Gwen a break here. Comcast is a complex company. Even within the x1 team I am sure it is broken down by depts that handle different aspects of the operating system. After reading the first post she made on this issue it is clear that she was thinking of the favorites not in the guide. Sometimes we just have to step back and realize that not everyone at Comcast is into tv as we are.

I myself am encouraged that employees are finally taking active roles within the x1 section of the Comcast forum. I realize that we have been treated as the read headed step child of Comcast in even recent past. Now it looks as that has been changing.

They know that they are a long way from making x1 what it should be, but we will never get there with hatred. I think hatred will drive them back into the dungeon of the Comcast lab....

I still have two x1 dvrs along with my tivo. If Comcast can make the x1 function at the same level as tivo, than I will ship my tivo back to tivo...

Behind the scenes many Comcast guru's have contacted me and others within this forum. That has never happened in the past. I am going to take a leap of faith that they really want to make the product work. This doesn't mean things like reminders will ever get added, but just getting a stable product would be a milestone. I think that is what they are shifting there focus on at this point.

I am not the boss here, no one really is. In saying that can we try hard to add constructive ideas to Comcast without making them feel like they are dirt in our eyes?

I myself am guilty of anger towards Comcast people, but I want to change this...

I totally agree. The Comcast Gurus on here have been very responsive privately and on the forums and its refreshing to see that they are interested in our needs. I know we are a small group compared to all the X1 users and I wonder how many call rather than post about the same issues we post about. In my experience the tickets the reps make on the phone go nowhere.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 93 of 3,000

Hi Robert,

You are correct, there is one Favorites list and that list lives in Saved>Favorites.  We use that list to populate your "Favorites Guide View."

"Favorites" (Saved>Favorites) are in a separate product area than the "Favorites Guide View" (Guide > Select Your Guide View > Favorites). "Favorites Guide View" sticking for 90 minutes is a very different issue than "Favorites" only sticking for 90 minutes, which would mean that you mark an asset as one of your "Favorites" and it only stays marked as "Favorite" for 90 minutes.

Thank you to everyone who provided clarity on which feature involving "Favorites" was not sticking.

Gwen

RobertWy wrote:

Gwen,

There is only one Favorites list.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Most Valued Poster

Message 94 of 3,000

gotpizza wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

gotpizza wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

You are losing the conection to the sever when this occurs. I would start looking at the signals on that outlet. It is not the box(unless the modem is on it's way out).

I will check that.  So far, I have noticed the Comcast Labs Signal strength is reading good. Is there an excellent reading that I should be getting.  I would think good would be good enough?  

I forget how to go into the diagnostics and get the "real" readings.  

I will hold out hope the modem is starting to do do-funnies and dying.  

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 95 of 3,000
Hi, I am fairly new to X1 and love it thus far. I do have a couple quick questions. I hope I am posting this in the right place. Here are my questions,,,

1) is there somewhere I can read a change log for the updates?
2) which of these numbers represents the version my box is on? What do these numbers mean?

Xappl-xre-46p6
1.46.06 10/15/2014 15:32
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 96 of 3,000

TiredRetired wrote:

gotpizza wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

gotpizza wrote:

TiredRetired wrote:

I will check that.  So far, I have noticed the Comcast Labs Signal strength is reading good. Is there an excellent reading that I should be getting.  I would think good would be good enough?  

I forget how to go into the diagnostics and get the "real" readings.  

I will hold out hope the modem is starting to do do-funnies and dying.  

diagnostic. exit (5-8 seconds)>system>right> (to page 5)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 97 of 3,000

brandonbob2376 wrote:
Hi, I am fairly new to X1 and love it thus far. I do have a couple quick questions. I hope I am posting this in the right place. Here are my questions,,,

1) is there somewhere I can read a change log for the updates?
2) which of these numbers represents the version my box is on? What do these numbers mean?

Xappl-xre-46p6
1.46.06 10/15/2014 15:32

receiver native version and one you provided are the levels. The XRE is basically the set of web pages your X1 presents to you to make your selections. The receiver native version is what is baked in at the factory as updated, and that system presents the web pages to you.

they put out a lot of updates. also find new features in the menu system under settings (the gear icon) > comcast labs.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 98 of 3,000
Ok, I am on native version 1.3.4. On the other question, I meant is there somewhere that lists the change log for each update?
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 99 of 3,000

brandonbob2376 wrote:
Ok, I am on native version 1.3.4. On the other question, I meant is there somewhere that lists the change log for each update?

In short no. As for the firmware on the box it is really small software. I am pretty certain the software is swapped out instead of being patched. The firmwares are not as often as the XRE is. The XRE can be changed as much as four times in a single month.

Is there something that you are trying to figure out?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 100 of 3,000
Thanks for getting back to me. That was helpful. I guess I am used to when my computer, iPad or iPhone updates, there is always a change log that lists all the update details. You know what I mean?

So, my question is more general. How am I supposed to know what was changed when updates occur if there is no change log? Most equipment now days says "what's new" after every update.