Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Trouble getting my cable connected

New Poster

Trouble getting my cable connected

We've had Comcast service for the internet and phone for years and a few years ago we even had basic cable for a year. But we've been with Direct TV for most of the time I've been in my house. Got an offer to go back to cable from Comcast (and still keep the phone and internet) for what might be a better price than what we're currently paying... I tried to do the self install for everything (had to get a new modem) and the phone and internet are working fine. The cable for the TV isn't! I keep getting an error message that says it can't connect to the box top! So I called for technical support. In the end, the technician tells me that a technician will have to come out and that there will be a $60 dollar service charge! I'm confused! If it's a problem with the wiring (like she suspects) why do I have to pay for the technician? If it's something I'm doing wrong, then by all means I should pay! What am I missing here?
Official Employee

Re: Trouble getting my cable connected

Where the cable box is, did you disconnect from direct tv splitter/service and connect to the Comcast drop?

Maybe a little back story on what exactly you did might help.

Also, it's possible being an internet only customer, you may have a filter on your drop

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

I thought this would be a simple connect the black coaxial cable to the DVR receiver box! Which is what I did! The cable for the Direct TV doesn't have anything to do with the Comcast cable. They are separate cables (at one point years ago, we had both connected to the TV with no problem)!
New Poster

Plus, before this change, we had both the home phone and the internet from Comcast!
Official Employee

Was that same black coax feeding direct tv? Again, a little back story on your connections goes a long way. Is this box split off your modem's line?

What's the error code on screen?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

It's not the same black coaxial cable feeding the Direct TV (I still have the cable connected for the Direct TV in their DVR receiver and then to my TV) The error code I have from Comcast is: RDK 03013
New Poster

Last week a tech came out and installed something in the cable box outside. He said it was something I would need for the upgrade and new modem. Do the coaxial cables go bad if they aren't being used?
New Poster

Also, the modem is only connected to the cable and phone line in the spare bedroom. And the only way the Direct TV is connected to the modern is the Wi-Fi.
Official Employee

The tech installed a POE filter, all that does is block your neighbor's X1 platform from interfering with yours.

The 03013 code is wiring related. Either you don't have it hooked up correctly or possibly there's a different filter at the tap. There used to be a filter installed with internet only customers that may still be in place. You'll need that tech out.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Great, but why do I have to pay $60 for the tech to fix the wiring for me to be able to even start the service? Doesn't seem fair when I was promised no charge for the installation!
Official Employee

Hello tko3788. We have a charge for failed self install which is what you see for $60. If you choose to install yourself, you are responsible for connecting all splitters and wiring to get Comcast signal from your tap to the box(es). If you need assistance with scheduling the professional install, I can help schedule this for you. 

To get started, please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation