Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

The problem is not the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box, IT'S THE SHIPPED HDMI CABLE!

New Poster

The problem is not the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box, IT'S THE SHIPPED HDMI CABLE!

Received XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box and performed self installation correctly.  Settings on XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box (video display setting - 4k) set to best available.  Used supplied HDMI cable to connect to my 4K TV.  Picture quality on 4k TV was poor.  I reduced the video setting on XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box to 1080p. Picture quality on my 4k TV was great.  Reset the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box video setting to best available. Picture quality on 4k TV was again poor.  I exchanged the supplied HDMI cable with my own HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 cable.  Results were great... 4k TV picture quality is great.  Assumption, Xfinity does not ship the proper HDMI cable with XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box to support 4K display on 4K TV.  I call tech support and visited center, to the representatives' best knowledge, there are no HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 cables in inventory.  As such I have to purchase my own HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 cable to resolve my issue.

Will Xfinity re-imbursement the cost of HDMI cable I had to purchase?  The answer remains to be seen.  Will Xfinity resolve the shipping or distrubion HDMI cable issue with the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box?  I hope so, as the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box appears to operate as it was designed.  Be aware that the highest resolution of Xfinity broadcast channels is 1080.  Yet I could see that my Samsung 4K TV was doing a great job in upscaling.  As to Netflix (premium subscriber), the 4k movies was displayed beautifully on the Samsung 4k TV. 

Again, in conclusion, in my situation, it is not the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box, IT'S THE SHIPPED HDMI CABLE!

Problem Solver

Re: The problem is not the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box, IT'S THE SHIPPED HDMI CABLE!

I agree fully with you. I have been pointing out this possibility since the XG1v4 DVR box first came out.

A HDMI 4K cable should be labeled as such, or marked (HDCP 2.2).

Official Employee

bob1235, I'm glad to hear you were able to get this resolved. When you switched to your HDMI cable, was the setting on best available or 1080p? Does the reception change at all if you switch that setting now?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Upon receipt/installation of the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box, the video settings worked at all settings except the 4K settings (above 1080 resolution) with the originally shipped HDMI cable.  The result was based on viewing the picture on my 4k TV.  As stated in my original post, once I used my own HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 cable, all video settings worked correctly, my selection was utlimately best available.  The good result is based on viewing the picture on my 4k TV.  As stated in my original post, the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box appears to be operating as designed.  I hope I fully answered your question.  Now, I have questons for you as a Comcast employee.

1.   Are you fully aware of the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box specifications?  Are you aware of the different Video display settings for the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box?
2.   Are any HDMI cables that Xfinity have in inventory labeled so that you are aware of the model of the HDMI cable?  I am talking related to the HDMI cable itself and in regards to your Inventory software.  To my knowledge your cables in inventory are only labled HDMI.

3.  What is the status/estimated date for Xfinity to have in inventory HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 cables?

4.  Will the solution that Xfinity will deploy for this issue, be deployment of HDMI 2.0 HDCP 2.2 cables and not a software upgrade to the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box as a workaround? I am not opposed to a software upgrade that results in enhanced functionality of the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box.  But a work around software solution is not the same as resolving the problem.

5.  Lastly, do you have any indication/notification/conclusion of your own that this issue could be caused only by the XFINITY XG1v4 TV Box?

Official Employee

1. I can answer as best I can, the questions you have regarding that box. If I do not know an answer, I will reach out to someone who does. I do want to make clear that this box only provides 4K content on Netflix alone. 

2. All of our HDMI cables are the same and we do not have different variations of HDMI cabling. 

3. I have not heard of an update to our inventory for HDMI cabling, much less specific provisions for the 2.0 HDCP 2.2 

4. It sounds as if the Xg1v4 is behaving as it is intended. This is not a 4K box so if it is showing HD reception in 1080p that is it's intent. I'm not sure why you were given poor reception when you chose "best available". There could be a signal or firmware issue with your box specifically, or it could be an issue with how the box is handshaking with your 4K TV. 

5. I can't make any conclusions on your specific box until I have a look at it myself. If you'd like, you can send me a private message with your full name and the phone number associated with your account so I can check on the backend. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

This response seems strange - The XFINITY XG1v4 is a 4K capable DRV box for 4K (Netflx) not Broadcast TV in 4K (not available yet on X1), But the settings below to set at 1080P would seee to negate 4K Netflx.

I used my own cables for my connection from my XFINITY XG1v4 to my AVR and then to my XBR-55-930e Sony TV.  It has been suggested here and elsewhere I should set my X1 box to 720 or 1080p for best watching sports on Broadcast TV or cable channels such as CNN or others in the HD Cable tier.

I have poor X1 Broadcast Cable TV HDTV (1080? or what is) picture with my XFINITY XG1v4 4K DVR box.  The Netflix 4K content is fine.  Many of us have higher end 4K TVs and the basic Comcast HD picture is not as sharp as it should be on a 4K TV.  There is poor reception for "best available" especially with sports.

Would really appreciate thoughts from this Forum and Comcast (I have a open corporate case) but no good resolution.  Comcast is effectively pushing a long time customer to FIOS.

Frustrated Comcast Customer

ComcastKenF wrote:

1. I can answer as best I can, the questions you have regarding that box. If I do not know an answer, I will reach out to someone who does. I do want to make clear that this box only provides 4K content on Netflix alone. 

2. All of our HDMI cables are the same and we do not have different variations of HDMI cabling. 

3. I have not heard of an update to our inventory for HDMI cabling, much less specific provisions for the 2.0 HDCP 2.2 

4. It sounds as if the Xg1v4 is behaving as it is intended. This is not a 4K box so if it is showing HD reception in 1080p that is it's intent. I'm not sure why you were given poor reception when you chose "best available". There could be a signal or firmware issue with your box specifically, or it could be an issue with how the box is handshaking with your 4K TV. 

5. I can't make any conclusions on your specific box until I have a look at it myself. If you'd like, you can send me a private message with your full name and the phone number associated with your account so I can check on the backend. 

Contributor

I am getting confused on the XG1v4 box and cableing.

I have the box coming next week so would like to get everything I need as far a cables. I thought that the only time a 2.2 cable was needed was when you have a 4K blu-ray player because the 2.2 is a anti piracy feature. The HDMI ports on the TV also need to be 2.2 compatable to get true 4K from the 4K player. 4K itself will work just fine on a 2.0?

Service Expert

wrote:

I have the box coming next week so would like to get everything I need as far a cables. I thought that the only time a 2.2 cable was needed was when you have a 4K blu-ray player because the 2.2 is a anti piracy feature. The HDMI ports on the TV also need to be 2.2 compatable to get true 4K from the 4K player. 4K itself will work just fine on a 2.0?

https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide (note that all cables supplied by Comcast are 'high speed'. do not kink any HD cable avoid bunching excess cable using wireties, etc.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Problem Solver

@ wrote:

wrote:

https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide (note that all cables supplied by Comcast are 'high speed'. do not kink any HD cable avoid bunching excess cable using wireties, etc.

Rusty:

The link you supplied is good reading if people also read the following comments that come at end of the article.

The cables supplied by Comcast do not come with the actual specifications listed for the cable supplied. There is a big difference between low end 60 Hz UHD tv's and high end 120 Hz UHD tv's. Not all HDMI High Speed cables are equal. In order to achieve  a 4K 60p frame-rate a 120 Hz tv is required plus finding a HDMI cable capable of the highest Broad-band rate available. We really require having all specifications on frequencies, etc., for any HDMI High Speed cable in insure we buy what we really need.

New Poster

NO Olympics in 4K from Comcast?

Well I got my new 4K TV so decided to go through the hassel of getting the box upgraded only to find out Comcast dosent broadcast the Olympics in 2160 Best is 1080p and that wont broadcast 4K.  in addition to that LG told me that I needed a Hi Speed HDMI that they also didnt send me.  if anyone figured this out please post it would be nice to be able to see what 4K looks like.  I tried the U tube app. but coming over the Router it wasnt very impressive.

Official Employee

Re: NO Olympics in 4K from Comcast?

@wyob wrote:

Well I got my new 4K TV so decided to go through the hassel of getting the box upgraded only to find out Comcast dosent broadcast the Olympics in 2160 Best is 1080p and that wont broadcast 4K.  in addition to that LG told me that I needed a Hi Speed HDMI that they also didnt send me.  if anyone figured this out please post it would be nice to be able to see what 4K looks like.  I tried the U tube app. but coming over the Router it wasnt very impressive.

The Olympics in 4K is On Demand only. Use the voice command "4K" and it will take you to the offerings page.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Ken; why can I not find anywhere, and I mean anywhere to order this new box. You guys have made it almost impossible to make upgrading easy. All I want is a 4K box and I can not find it anywhere.
Official Employee

Post in this thread for assistance
http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/td-p/2987898

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

New Poster

Please post a link to where we can order the box. Nothing seems to be working, and private messages on here are messed up as well.
Service Expert

@VinnyG94 wrote:
Please post a link to where we can order the box. Nothing seems to be working, and private messages on here are messed up as well.

There is no link.  I ordered mine by calling 1800comcast.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Customer-Service/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/td-p/2987898

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

FWIW, when I received my X1v4-A box I was suspicious of the Comcast-supplied HDMI cables and didn't use them, but instead used my own HDMI 2.1 cables (Echogear). Even with the best possible cables, I was dissappointed with the clarity of the image. Lots of edge fuzziness, lack of color depth, and artifacts.

I was able to get some improvement by tweaking the settings on my Sony 55A1E TV.  High-end Sony TVs have pretty sophisticated and aggressive image processing, which I suspected may be interfering.  When I turned off some settings (Clarity/noise reduction), the image somewhat improved.  I also warmed up the color, as the color on the 4K/Best Available was cooler and duller than on the 1080P setting. Looks pretty good now.

Worth a try, if you haven't already.

New Poster

Xfinity image quality wasn't doing justice to my TV, so I finally decided to cancel Xfinity service.  Even with high-end (HDMI 2.1) cables on a high-end TV (Sony 55A1E), the weak link is the Xfinity box.  It feels like Xfinity is trying to pass off a highly compressed image lacking clarity and color depth, hoping customers don't complain.  Chances are, if you've spent a lot of money on a 4K TV, you're going to notice.  I'm getting better sharpness and color depth streaming DirecTVNow and Sling.  I haven't decided which to keep yet, but both look better than Xfinity.  Done with Xfinity.  Hoping they don't delete this post.

New Poster

It’s the box ..... I have lg B7 and had picture and sound issues. The xfinity rep said box is not good and gave me older he box and sound issues fixed and picture was better on old box then the new 4K box. I have great tv high end HDMI and lg Dolby sound bar . Xfinity needs to get better 4K box.
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 12 in conversation