Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

TV turns on by itself after Xfinity upgrade of software

New Poster

TV turns on by itself after Xfinity upgrade of software

My Toshiba TV that is connected via HDMI to the small remote Xfinity box (not the main DVR box) turns itself on every few minutes. This first occurred in the middle of the night (Oct 8th) just before 3AM. This is a bedroom TV so it was very "surprising". If I turn off the TV it will turn itself back on within two minutes or so (sometimes immediatly after being turned off). If I disconnect the HDMI cable from the Xfinity box the problem does not occurr. I worked with a Comcast technician via chat and she said that there was a software upgrade at the time the problem first occurred. I tried a different brad TV (small portable with HDMI input) using the same HDMI output and the problem didn't occur so this seems not to effect all brands. I tried the Xfinity power saver mode and it didn't seem to fix the problem.  I believe the TV is interpreting some signal from the HDMI input as being from a DVR / BluRay player that has just powered on. (My Samsung BluRay turns on my Samsung TV when I power up the BluRay player via the HDMI connection). I think the Tosiba TV is interpreting some signal from the Xfinity box the same way. The X1 box did not show this  problem with the Toshiba set before the software upgrade.

Is there a way this issue could be reported to the Xfinity X1 software team? It kind of defeats the purpose of the remote control if I have to get up and plug/unplug the HDMI cable to watch TV.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: TV turns on by itself after Xfinity upgrade of software

Go into the settings on your TV and turn off any features related to HDMI-CEC. Panansonic calls those features "Viera Link". Samsung calls them "Any-Net". Regardless of what Toshiba may call them, find them and turn them off. You may need to unplug and reboot both devices.

feedback60 wrote:

My Toshiba TV that is connected via HDMI to the small remote Xfinity box (not the main DVR box) turns itself on every few minutes. This first occurred in the middle of the night (Oct 8th) just before 3AM. This is a bedroom TV so it was very "surprising". If I turn off the TV it will turn itself back on within two minutes or so (sometimes immediatly after being turned off). If I disconnect the HDMI cable from the Xfinity box the problem does not occurr. I worked with a Comcast technician via chat and she said that there was a software upgrade at the time the problem first occurred. I tried a different brad TV (small portable with HDMI input) using the same HDMI output and the problem didn't occur so this seems not to effect all brands. I tried the Xfinity power saver mode and it didn't seem to fix the problem.  I believe the TV is interpreting some signal from the HDMI input as being from a DVR / BluRay player that has just powered on. (My Samsung BluRay turns on my Samsung TV when I power up the BluRay player via the HDMI connection). I think the Tosiba TV is interpreting some signal from the Xfinity box the same way. The X1 box did not show this  problem with the Toshiba set before the software upgrade.

Is there a way this issue could be reported to the Xfinity X1 software team? It kind of defeats the purpose of the remote control if I have to get up and plug/unplug the HDMI cable to watch TV.

New Poster

I have disabled Toshiba regza link which didn't solve the problem. Thanks for the reply.
Expert

feedback60 wrote:
I have disabled Toshiba regza link which didn't solve the problem. Thanks for the reply.

does your TV have another HDMI port that you can connect the cable set top box? If you do that be sure to change input source to do the testing.

New Poster

Oddly enough the problem exists on all HDMI inputs and occurs even when a non-connected HDMI input is selected by the Toshiba TV. It also occurs when the tuner or PC inputs are selected.

I have found an awkward work-around. I happened to have an old electronic HDMI switch (several inputs selected by a remote). that I had purchased for a different TV with a single HDMI input many years ago. If I place that device between the X1 remote box and the TV the problam doesn't happen even with the X1 box selected and delivering signal to the TV  via HDMI. I suspect that Toshiba may have used an obsolete brand specific protocal for their inter-device communications which is somehow blocked by the old HDMI switch.

HDMI standards have probably changed since the HDMI switch was manufactured (and possibly the TV as well). I imagine whoever devlopes code for the X1 box may be attempting to test for compatability with current standards but isn't testing for brand-specific legacy HDMI protocols. 

I may see if there is a firmware upgrade for the Toshiba TV before I install the switch permanently -(somewhat doubtful considering the age of the set). 

New Poster

I have the same problem, beleive it or not. Also with a Toshiba TV, and starting about October.

New Poster

I got my HDMI switch from monoprice.com a few years ago. I am not certain that any current HDMI switches would solve your problem but it might be worth a try. I doubt comcast will address the issue since it likely only impacts a specific brand of TV of a certain age.

Good luck.

Gold Problem Solver

What happens if you use component and disconnect HDMI entirely?

You may have a double whammy going on here. X1 boxes are weird and unpredictable when it comes to HDMI. Toshiba is no longer making TVs for the US market so their support for TVs with naturally fade away. As you suggested, I suspect Toshiba's implementation of HDMI is well out of date.

You may simply have incompatible devices....

feedback60 wrote:

Oddly enough the problem exists on all HDMI inputs and occurs even when a non-connected HDMI input is selected by the Toshiba TV. It also occurs when the tuner or PC inputs are selected.

I have found an awkward work-around. I happened to have an old electronic HDMI switch (several inputs selected by a remote). that I had purchased for a different TV with a single HDMI input many years ago. If I place that device between the X1 remote box and the TV the problam doesn't happen even with the X1 box selected and delivering signal to the TV  via HDMI. I suspect that Toshiba may have used an obsolete brand specific protocal for their inter-device communications which is somehow blocked by the old HDMI switch.

HDMI standards have probably changed since the HDMI switch was manufactured (and possibly the TV as well). I imagine whoever devlopes code for the X1 box may be attempting to test for compatability with current standards but isn't testing for brand-specific legacy HDMI protocols. 

I may see if there is a firmware upgrade for the Toshiba TV before I install the switch permanently -(somewhat doubtful considering the age of the set). 

New Poster

No component output on the X1 box. Only happens when the X1 box is connected by hdmi. Just "solved" it by putting the tv on a power strip. Whatever. 

Regular Contributor

This is definitely an HDMI-CEC issue.  feedback60's solution worked most likely because the switch isn't CEC compatible.  Turning off RegzaLink should solve this problem, but sounds like it doesn't.  There doesn't appear to be any way to turn off CEC on the X1.  Unless Comcast changes that, there's not really much else that you can do.

New Poster

My Toshiba does the same thing .. I have to unplug the comcast box (not main box)  anytime I'm done using the system, so that the TV stays off.  If i leave the comcast box plugged in , the TV comes back on ... no component option.  I have disabled all the Regza options (off) .. Didn't help.  I just switched to X1 comcast from directV, and it didn't happen w/ directV, so it's def. something to do w/ the little standalone comcast box that supports the DVR in the other room.  

New Poster

We got Xfinity last Saturday and discovered that we had the same problem when the TV woke me up at 3am on Sunday morning.  Tried new cables, cycling power to the TV and the box, and having a Comcast chat rep remotely reinitialize the box. The only thing that has worked is to unplug the HDMI cable when we aren’t watching TV.  I searched all over the internet for a fix and was absolutely shocked at the number of people with this problem and the complete and utter absence of an explanation, resolution, or sensible solutions.

This problem is caused by the HDMI connection.  Most HDMI systems include the ability to control multiple interconnected HDMI-equipped devices with a single remote.  It goes by many different trademark names depending on the manufacturer, but the industry term is CEC(Consumer Electronics Control).  I suppose this is a great feature when it works the way it’s supposed to.  Your problem is most likely one or a combination of the following:
1)    Your TV has CEC capability and the ability to enable and disable the feature.  You turned it off in the settings, but for some reason, the software/firmware has chosen to ignore or failed to use the settings.  Your TV manufacturer will say that the issue is external to the TV and ‘they have never heard of this problem before’.
2)    Your cable box has CEC turned on and it can’t be turned off because the necessary technical manual is non-existent and the cable supplier and box manufacture don’t feel that this is an important enough issue to justify making this setting accessible to the consumer.  Besides, it’s a defect in the TV and ‘they have never heard of this problem before’.

A cheap and crude solution that worked for me is to eliminate Pin 13 on the male connector of the cable.  This is the 4th contact from the right when the wider edge of the connector is oriented on the top.  You’ll need a magnifier and a pushpin to bend the whisker so that it doesn’t make contact with the board when plugged in.  If you have reservations about ruining your favorite cable, buy a cheap $5-10 HDMI cable.

Regular Contributor

What happens is the Television detects a signal and turns on. Chromecast does this too, but only when you begin a stream. If you press the power button on the box for a second, it'll stop illuminating blue. It should stop the problem, although I think no one wants to do this. 

Regular Contributor

RemixF wrote:

What happens is the Television detects a signal and turns on. Chromecast does this too, but only when you begin a stream. If you press the power button on the box for a second, it'll stop illuminating blue. It should stop the problem, although I think no one wants to do this. 

That would work, until the box reboots in the middle of the night for it's nightly update check.

Gold Problem Solver

While I admire your "cheap and crude" solution I simply cannot recommend it.

Pulling pins on an HDMI connection is inviting disaster. HDMI circuit boards have proven to be EXTREMELY delicate and fragile. Even the smallest power surge can DESTROY an entire circuit board on a TV set or AV receiver.

FYI, the HDMI-CEC issues with X1 boxes have been well discussed in this forum...

beeker301 wrote:

We got Xfinity last Saturday and discovered that we had the same problem when the TV woke me up at 3am on Sunday morning.  Tried new cables, cycling power to the TV and the box, and having a Comcast chat rep remotely reinitialize the box. The only thing that has worked is to unplug the HDMI cable when we aren’t watching TV.  I searched all over the internet for a fix and was absolutely shocked at the number of people with this problem and the complete and utter absence of an explanation, resolution, or sensible solutions.

This problem is caused by the HDMI connection.  Most HDMI systems include the ability to control multiple interconnected HDMI-equipped devices with a single remote.  It goes by many different trademark names depending on the manufacturer, but the industry term is CEC(Consumer Electronics Control).  I suppose this is a great feature when it works the way it’s supposed to.  Your problem is most likely one or a combination of the following:
1)    Your TV has CEC capability and the ability to enable and disable the feature.  You turned it off in the settings, but for some reason, the software/firmware has chosen to ignore or failed to use the settings.  Your TV manufacturer will say that the issue is external to the TV and ‘they have never heard of this problem before’.
2)    Your cable box has CEC turned on and it can’t be turned off because the necessary technical manual is non-existent and the cable supplier and box manufacture don’t feel that this is an important enough issue to justify making this setting accessible to the consumer.  Besides, it’s a defect in the TV and ‘they have never heard of this problem before’.

A cheap and crude solution that worked for me is to eliminate Pin 13 on the male connector of the cable.  This is the 4th contact from the right when the wider edge of the connector is oriented on the top.  You’ll need a magnifier and a pushpin to bend the whisker so that it doesn’t make contact with the board when plugged in.  If you have reservations about ruining your favorite cable, buy a cheap $5-10 HDMI cable.

New Poster

None of yalls recommendations have worked!!  HELP!!  I have done it all: Disable all CEC (Regzna), switched to cheap/expensive hdmi cables, rebooted, recycled, etc.  NOTHING HAS WORKED!  Comcast has no idea.  Toshiba no longer supports.  Somebody, anybody - do you have a step by step solution?  Everything worked fine until we upgraded to X1.

Expert

jamakkr wrote:

None of yalls recommendations have worked!!  HELP!!  I have done it all: Disable all CEC (Regzna), switched to cheap/expensive hdmi cables, rebooted, recycled, etc.  NOTHING HAS WORKED!  Comcast has no idea.  Toshiba no longer supports.  Somebody, anybody - do you have a step by step solution?  Everything worked fine until we upgraded to X1.

do you have a different input jack on your television for HDMI? usually only one has that 'feature'. The TV might have a menu to turn off the feature, also.

New Poster

hi,

can you please elaborate on how you solved this issue.  i am having the same exact issue with my Toshiba now.  i have the small box (not DVR) connected to my Toshiba.  And whenever i turn the tv off, it comes back on again within the hour.  I need help to fix this issue! 

Expert

Try turning off Regza-Link in the TV.

Gold Problem Solver

Toshiba is no longer building TV sets for the US market. They stopped over a year ago. If you recently bought a Toshiba TV, you bought a close out model that is probably two years old if not more.

Sorry but I happen to think this is one of the prices that people pay when they buy cheap, closeout TV sets...

caribqueen115 wrote:

hi,

can you please elaborate on how you solved this issue.  i am having the same exact issue with my Toshiba now.  i have the small box (not DVR) connected to my Toshiba.  And whenever i turn the tv off, it comes back on again within the hour.  I need help to fix this issue! 

New Poster

Nah the TV is about to 5 years old. I never had this problem. I just recently switched from Direct TV to X1 and now it's doing this.
New Poster

Thanks for the reply. I did turn off feature and it still turned back on after a few minutes. Any other ideas?
Gold Problem Solver

Sorry but that doesn't change my opinion. X1 boxes do not conform to normal HDMI standards. They are manipulating HDMI specs to support their own goals. I have no doubt that some lesser brands of TV sets are quietly not being equally supported... I think you own an incompatible combination of components...

caribqueen115 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I did turn off feature and it still turned back on after a few minutes. Any other ideas?

Regular Visitor

We have a old zenith tv, connect only via coax and it does the same thing with the basic xfinity ondemand box.  so I would have to say this is not just HDMI.

Expert

Gold Problem Solver

Not that it help to solve anyone's problem, but I have a Toshiba that was built in 2008 and it works just dandy with the XG2 box... No issue of any kind...

Regular Visitor

It's a Cisco RNG100.

Expert

New Poster

We are having the exact same problem. Seems to happen in the middle of the night. Wonder if keeping the remote in another room will help

New Poster

It's not just a Toshiba problem.  I have a brand new Samsung 4K and it is doing it as well.

New Poster

Problem:  Samsung 4K TV (model shown below)  turns itself back ON after being turned OFF with Xfinity model XR11 remote.

I also have a brand new Samsung 4K QLED TV (model below).  It is sensational and we love it.  I don't know if "title" being software upgrade is correct to describe this problem.

I know this thread's PROBLEM description (with other TV's and Xfinity equipment) has gone on for about 3 years.  Some people think it is caused by a software upgrade, some think an HDMI cable cause (e.g., Samsung's ANYNET cabling, which I am not using).  I don't wish to describe every possible shut down pathway (sequence) and the several remotes used to shut the TV down.  I am only describing the equipment I have.  The Xfinity install tech said, when install was completed, that he was equally surprised that the TV, by itself, turned ON after being powered OFF.  No solution was found.   Hopefully someone will see my equipment "ingredients" for my configuration and come up with the culprit for this problem.  I have noticed that at least one means of shutting it down prevented the TV from turning on again.  Using Samsung's model R-NZ remote did not cause this problem, (turn on again), but left the DENON receiver still ON.  Some of my remotes (four of them) are programmed to turn OFF more than one device (TV and / or Receiver).  There are too many probabilites to document it all more than I already have 

Samsung 4K TV  Model No. QN49Q6FAMFXZA 

TV Product Description:  Samsung - 49" Class - LED - Q6F Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR

Purchased 4K TV in April 2018.  I have a DENON AVR-S530BT receiver.

There are so many possible combinations for testing this problem's occurrence.  E.g., omitting receiver from pathway.  Turning off TV with Samsung's own remote Model R-NZ.  Turning off receiver with DENON model RC-1216 remote.

I hope that contacting Samsung support will provide the answer

@Allen15 wrote:

It's not just a Toshiba problem.  I have a brand new Samsung 4K and it is doing it as well.

New Poster

Just to let you know my final outcome.....I disconnected the HDMI cable and re-connected with the Optical cable.  Problem went away.  Go figure.

Expert

@Allen15 wrote:

Just to let you know my final outcome.....I disconnected the HDMI cable and re-connected with the Optical cable.  Problem went away.  Go figure.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-video-display

New Poster

I have 2 Philips 55 in 4K TVs and have the same problem. When I am done viewing for the night I turn off the TV and set the remote down facing away from the TV, this seems to have helped. I have a 3rd Philips non 4K and this set is not affected at all. THX