New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TV Screen goes to the Screen Saver for no reason

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 23

When watching a program my screen will go to the screen saver for no reason.  It appears to be happening more and more often.  I don't have any of the screen options open - like program listing, pause, scores, etc.  How can this be fixed?

22 REPLIES
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 2 of 23

l_turn9 wrote:

When watching a program my screen will go to the screen saver for no reason.  It appears to be happening more and more often.  I don't have any of the screen options open - like program listing, pause, scores, etc.  How can this be fixed?

To acess screensavers

Xfintiy button to Gear symbol to Device Settings, scroll down to Screen Saver and press OK and then choose the time that you want the screen saver to kick in. Personally I set mine for 5 hours.

Note: you can also pick the type of screensaver that you want

Landscape

Entertainment

Animals

Personal Screen Saver

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 3 of 23
I’m having the same issue and I’ve set the screensaver to five hours. It’s coming on repeatedly in just minutes while I’m watching a show.
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 4 of 23

Same problem here, just started tonite. Program audio continues after screen saver starts. Screensaver set to 5 hrs. but starts 10 min. or so while actively watching

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 23

Hello all, the information that ComcastAndrew provided is a good place to change your settings for the screen saver. If you have set your screen saver to come up at a certain time that's fine, the screen saver is also set to appear when you are in the selection process (menu or guide) for more than 3-5 minutes without any activity. Please make sure you're not in selection process to avoid the screen saver popping up. If you continue to have this issue please reach back out to me here and I can look further into this for you.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 6 of 23

Hello, I am still having this issue regardless of the fact that I have it set to 5 hours AND it isn't in menu mode. I am watching a show and it goes to screen saver every few minutes.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 7 of 23
This JUST started happening to me tonight. Never happened before and I’ve had my X1 box for quite awhile. Screensaver just pops on while I’m watching a program.

Wonder if there’s a glitch in a recent software update?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 8 of 23

elaine123abc wrote:
This JUST started happening to me tonight. Never happened before and I’ve had my X1 box for quite awhile. Screensaver just pops on while I’m watching a program.

Wonder if there’s a glitch in a recent software update?

on your Xfinity remote press the Xfinity button > gear(settings) > Device Settings > Screen Saver. what is the 'screen saver starts after' setting?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 9 of 23
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 10 of 23

elaine123abc wrote:
5 hours!

did you try unplugging the AC power from the set top box for 30 seconds?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 11 of 23

I don't know how a comcast employee can act like they have never heard of someone getting the screen saver inadvertantly - i.e., when the preferences are set for 5 hours and you are in the middle of watching a show (NOT when on the menu). This issue goes back to 2014 from my research in trying to fix mine.  It seems like a robot response when someone says their settings are set for 5 hours, and it happens when watching a show, and then the advice is the step-by-step to change your preferences.  How very irritating.  You'd think in 3 years a cable company would be innovative enough to fix this truly unforgivable problem.  I don't have time to hold aside a half day waiting for a service person. Please give some useful suggestion on how to go about minding our own business having a few minutes of uninterrupted downtime watching TV, for which we pay Comcast hundreds of dollars a month.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 12 of 23

windycity2 wrote:

I don't know how a comcast employee can act like they have never heard of someone getting the screen saver inadvertantly - i.e., when the preferences are set for 5 hours and you are in the middle of watching a show (NOT when on the menu). This issue goes back to 2014 from my research in trying to fix mine.  It seems like a robot response when someone says their settings are set for 5 hours, and it happens when watching a show, and then the advice is the step-by-step to change your preferences.  How very irritating.  You'd think in 3 years a cable company would be innovative enough to fix this truly unforgivable problem.  I don't have time to hold aside a half day waiting for a service person. Please give some useful suggestion on how to go about minding our own business having a few minutes of uninterrupted downtime watching TV, for which we pay Comcast hundreds of dollars a month.

after turning off the TV with no menu element on the screen (just live TV) do you see the menu the next morning? Or perhaps do you leave a recording playing or on-demand program running. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 13 of 23
I am trying to watch a football game and it is BEYOND infuriating that the screensaver (which is set for 5 hours) comes on every 60-90 seconds.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 14 of 23

KellyATL wrote:
I am trying to watch a football game and it is BEYOND infuriating that the screensaver (which is set for 5 hours) comes on every 60-90 seconds.

when you see the screensaver, is there something on it that makes you 'know' it is from Comcast? What do you do with the Xfinity remote to clear the screensaver? (just wondering if you actually are getting a TV screen saver or similar). Live TV on X1 does not trigger a screen saver to the best of my knowledge. If it did, we would all have it in the morning after waking up and turning on the TV. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 15 of 23
It is Comcast. It is “landscapes” with local temperature, weather info, etc. I have to hit a button in the remote to make it go away but I can still hear the channel I am watching. My TV has never done this in the 5 years I’ve owned it.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 16 of 23

KellyATL wrote:
It is Comcast. It is “landscapes” with local temperature, weather info, etc. I have to hit a button in the remote to make it go away but I can still hear the channel I am watching. My TV has never done this in the 5 years I’ve owned it.

I've asked for a Comcast Official Employee to check back in this thread to assist you.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 17 of 23

Just bumping this thread. Mine started doing the same thing. Screensaver setting at 5 hrs, but the screensaver randomly comes on. I can hear the program in the background. Need to hit escape to get back to the video. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 18 of 23

qajohn1 wrote:

Just bumping this thread. Mine started doing the same thing. Screensaver setting at 5 hrs, but the screensaver randomly comes on. I can hear the program in the background. Need to hit escape to get back to the video. 

did you mean 'escape' or something else?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 19 of 23
I'd love for a Comcast employee to address this. It started on our TV tonight and it is seriously crazy-making!
Posted by
New Poster

Message 20 of 23

Having the same problem.  Mostly notice it happens when watching a recorded show.

I am testing to see if this may be the cause:

• watching show #1 - show is over - but intead of selecting "exit" or "delete" we just start watching show #2.

• is show #1 sitting in the background and probably sitting on the "Delete - Don't Delete" optopn screen causing the problem

Posted by
New Poster

Message 21 of 23

I am having the same problem everyone else is, and yes it just started this evening at about 5:30 to 6:00 pm.  I also have my screen saver set to 5 hours, and  having nothing else open on the tv itself.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 22 of 23

I just started seeing this issue today, while trying to watch a Game of Thrones episode, streaming from HBO On Demand. Exit/Escape will immiedately wake up the video, but the audio continues to play in the background. Like I said, just started today, watched three episodes in a row last night and no issues.

Ayone figure out the solution?

Posted by
New Poster

Message 23 of 23

Howdy, I started having the same issue on Saturday, 10/14.  Got so sick of it on Sunday, I just shut the whole thing down and even disconnected the power strip from the wall.  Waited about 15 minutes and plugged it back in, flipped the switch, waited for everything to reboot, and PROBLEM SOLVED.  Knock on wood... had tv on all day Sunday and all day today, Monda, so far.... No problems.