Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

TV Motion Occasionally Seems Jerky

Contributor

TV Motion Occasionally Seems Jerky

Xfinity Triple Play here.  every so often the TV picture seems slightly jerky.  not stop snd go like a security camera but not fluid like the picture should be.  it comes and goes. sound is fine.  anyone else experiencing this?   

Service Expert

Re: TV Motion Occasionally Seems Jerky

rk911 wrote:

Xfinity Triple Play here.  every so often the TV picture seems slightly jerky.  not stop snd go like a security camera but not fluid like the picture should be.  it comes and goes. sound is fine.  anyone else experiencing this?   

what is the output of your set top box using? (720p/1080p)?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Contributor

1080p

Service Expert

Which X1 STB do you have?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

rk911 wrote:

1080p

if the channel is a local broadcast network it may be in 1080i which can cause what you describe (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States for current 720p or 1080i for networks). This is not an issue for cable networks as Comcast provides 720p60 for those channels. If the channel you are seeing that effect on is 1080i try putting your set top box in 1080i output and let the TV do the work of changing the signal to progressive (digital) to display. Does this test fix the problem? be sure to put back in 720p or 1080p when finished testing. It would be great to have 'native passthrough' from the set top boxes but X1 doesn't have that option.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

rk911 wrote:

1080p

if the channel is a local broadcast network it may be in 1080i which can cause what you describe (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-definition_television_in_the_United_States for current 720p or 1080i for networks). This is not an issue for cable networks as Comcast provides 720p60 for those channels. If the channel you are seeing that effect on is 1080i try putting your set top box in 1080i output and let the TV do the work of changing the signal to progressive (digital) to display. Does this test fix the problem? be sure to put back in 720p or 1080p when finished testing. It would be great to have 'native passthrough' from the set top boxes but X1 doesn't have that option.

ok...here's what we saw last night which prompted my post.  we were watching Lethal Weapon on fox.  the first 30-minutes were normal including the commercials. when the show resumed after a break we noticed a change in character movement. it was very subtle. the sound was ok and tge audio seemed to be in sync with the video but the motion of the actors was not fluid.  at the next commercial break the commercial was normal but when the show returned it again looked unnatural....my word for it is 'stuttering'.  the next commercial break was normal as was the program that followed.  this only happens every now and then and it happens while watching live or recordings.   does this description fit your theory?  

Contributor

RobertWy wrote:

i'll get that for you shortly. 

Service Expert

rk911 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

rk911 wrote:

1080p

ok...here's what we saw last night which prompted my post.  we were watching Lethal Weapon on fox.  the first 30-minutes were normal including the commercials. when the show resumed after a break we noticed a change in character movement. it was very subtle. the sound was ok and tge audio seemed to be in sync with the video but the motion of the actors was not fluid.  at the next commercial break the commercial was normal but when the show returned it again looked unnatural....my word for it is 'stuttering'.  the next commercial break was normal as was the program that followed.  this only happens every now and then and it happens while watching live or recordings.   does this description fit your theory?  

per that link, FOX is 720p natively. I thought about it later wondering if the show you were watching was a recording. If so could you watch it (may have to restore) on a portable device around the same time you saw the stuttering video and see if it is in that stream video too. If so, that eliminates all the normal things (boxes, home equipment, some kind of speed issue, noise, etc). I have 1080p set top boxes (sharp and vizio) and have changed the box to 720p output and let the TV do the upconverting to the panel for display.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

rk911 wrote:

RobertWy wrote:

i'll get that for you shortly. 

ok...we have 6 televisions in the house...1 DVR, 4 xidp boxes and 1 xg2v2-p box.

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

rk911 wrote:

1080p

per that link, FOX is 720p natively. I thought about it later wondering if the show you were watching was a recording. If so could you watch it (may have to restore) on a portable device around the same time you saw the stuttering video and see if it is in that stream video too. If so, that eliminates all the normal things (boxes, home equipment, some kind of speed issue, noise, etc). I have 1080p set top boxes (sharp and vizio) and have changed the box to 720p output and let the TV do the upconverting to the panel for display.

we recorded Lethal Weapon last night but started watching that recording before the show ended.  this morning i went back and recovered that recording and re-watched sections of the last half of the program (where my wife and i saw the "stuttering" on two different televisions but all of the motion in the program looked normal which is now causing me to question my lying eyes but my wife and I are sure of what we saw.  i'll try your suggestion the next time this happens.  I appreciate your assistance with this.

Service Expert

you may have a bad hard drive in the DVR. would you use the voice remote and say 'about' and see the model number of your DVR (it will be on the line STB Version the first group of characters. also, you might want to swap out one of the XiD for another Xi2 to stop using one of the DVR's tuners. Each XG2 can loan out up to 3 tuners, since you have 4 companions one is coming from the DVR. If your DVR is version 1 pace then it only has 5 not 6 tuners and has many issues compared to the others.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

you may have a bad hard drive in the DVR. would you use the voice remote and say 'about' and see the model number of your DVR (it will be on the line STB Version the first group of characters. also, you might want to swap out one of the XiD for another Xi2 to stop using one of the DVR's tuners. Each XG2 can loan out up to 3 tuners, since you have 4 companions one is coming from the DVR. If your DVR is version 1 pace then it only has 5 not 6 tuners and has many issues compared to the others.

here's a screen shot of the 'about' info on the DVR.  the Comcast tech that set up the system told us we had 6-tuners and that each TV/STB could record/playback a different program simultaneously.

Service Expert

rk911 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

here's a screen shot of the 'about' info on the DVR.  the Comcast tech that set up the system told us we had 6-tuners and that each TV/STB could record/playback a different program simultaneously.

that is a good late model DVR with 6 tuners. it should be fine. the xg2 handles 3 of the companion boxes. the 4th is taking a tuner (leaving 5) for the DVR. they are the same price just swap one and you are good to go.

edit: please remove that image from your post (since it stays here forever) Smiley Happy

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

that is a good late model DVR with 6 tuners. it should be fine. the xg2 handles 3 of the companion boxes. the 4th is taking a tuner (leaving 5) for the DVR. they are the same price just swap one and you are good to go.

edit: please remove that image from your post (since it stays here forever) Smiley Happy 

not sure i understand. why do i need to swap out one of the smaller boxes fir another xg2?        i'm able to record 6-pgms simultaneously now and i think i have the capacity to add a planned 7th tv/stb next spring. 

ok on removing the image...don't see how that's done.  can you advise on that?

thanks for the assist

Service Expert

rk911 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

not sure i understand. why do i need to swap out one of the smaller boxes fir another xg2?        i'm able to record 6-pgms simultaneously now and i think i have the capacity to add a planned 7th tv/stb next spring. 

ok on removing the image...don't see how that's done.  can you advise on that?

thanks for the assist

sign in link in upper right corner. then go to your post and see 3 dots near first line of post but on the right side. click edit. mouse click on the image and hit delete. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

got it. tnks again. 

Labels
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos