Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Suddenly I have Audio sync issues

Frequent Visitor

Suddenly I have Audio sync issues

Hi, all.

all of a sudden I'm experiencing audio lip sync issues on lots of X1 HD channels.

this does NOT happen when I stream Netflix thru my TV app.

I have researched this issue on this and other forums and have not found a solution.

Background: about a month ago I set up a new Sony 4K TV with my X1 service. All's been well until a few days ago.

my setup: coax cable from wall into X1 box / brand new up to date HDMI cable from X1 to TV / HDMI from TV's ARC to Sony receiver's ARC. I've been reading about issues with ARC...

Comcast: release version xappl xre81p5

This setup has been fine for a month. Now there are issues. I've tried a zillion settings in both the TV and on the set top box to fix this.

I've unplugged and powered both the tv and cable box off a few times. I've checked and reconnected all my cords. My tv firmware is up to date.

I've tried stereo and auto detect Dolby.

I've tried all the video resolutions on the box...720 on up to 1080p/60. All the same result.

I've tried external and the TV speakers. Same result.

some of the networks are ok -- NBC, cbs, espn

other cable channels range from bad  to unwatchable. Bravo has a really bad delay.

Any suggestions or helpful links are appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Tags (4)
Service Expert

Re: Suddenly I have Audio sync issues

Shoppingcsg wrote:

Hi, all.

all of a sudden I'm experiencing audio lip sync issues on lots of X1 HD channels.

this does NOT happen when I stream Netflix thru my TV app.

I have researched this issue on this and other forums and have not found a solution.

Background: about a month ago I set up a new Sony 4K TV with my X1 service. All's been well until a few days ago.

my setup: coax cable from wall into X1 box / brand new up to date HDMI cable from X1 to TV / HDMI from TV's ARC to Sony receiver's ARC. I've been reading about issues with ARC...

Comcast: release version xappl xre81p5

This setup has been fine for a month. Now there are issues. I've tried a zillion settings in both the TV and on the set top box to fix this.

I've unplugged and powered both the tv and cable box off a few times. I've checked and reconnected all my cords. My tv firmware is up to date.

I've tried stereo and auto detect Dolby.

I've tried all the video resolutions on the box...720 on up to 1080p/60. All the same result.

I've tried external and the TV speakers. Same result.

some of the networks are ok -- NBC, cbs, espn

other cable channels range from bad  to unwatchable. Bravo has a really bad delay.

Any suggestions or helpful links are appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris 

first stop is to reboot the box (power unplug). If not fixed, next is to only use your TV speakers (you said the X1 is plugged into your TV directly). using an HD channel local live rebroadcast of network programming (news, soap operas, prime time programs) and check lipsync. The TV will be the only place lipsync adjustments can be made using the TV's remote. then check some other channels, again using the TV's internal speakers. Is that first stop OK after the lipsync adjustment?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply, Rustyben.

i have unplugged and powered down all devices multiple times already.

the network channels were fine with ARC and external an internal speakers. Some other channels were fine too. Most others not so good.

But, I removed the arc connection. Network channels the same with internal speakers -- ok.

other channels still not great. Audio lag.

Service Expert
Moved:

Frequent Visitor

Anybody else experiencing audio lag like me? Still seeking a fix...

mine was fine, then within the last few days this issue came out of the blue.

any solutions you've heard of? Maddening and unwatchable for me!

did something change with Comcast? I didn't change a thing on my end.

what is causing this? Grrr

New Poster

Shoppingcsg,

I have the same issue with the same release version as you posted. I think the lip synch lag started 5 or 6 days ago. I had not made any changes to my setup which has worked fine for at least a year.  I have no sound bar, just direct out from the Xfinity box to my TV via HDMI cable.

My TV is much older than yours and I have not been as thorough in testing as you have but the issue is it exactly as you’ve described and it was not initiated by any changes on my end. Thanks for posting about it!

BTW, I'm in the north bay of the San Francisco Bay Area in case that’s relevant. 

It’s driving me crazy!!!

Service Expert

this may be a firmware new update issue. my firmware is still dated oct 24 - would do check your 'about' voice control to see if you have a later firmware? I hope you have already power-unplugged reboot of the set top box first (for 30 seconds or so).

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Let's see, checking "about" info. Attached a pic...

yes, I've powered down. I'll try again just for fun. Thx much for your thoughts. Appreciate the insight.

IMG_0116.JPG
Frequent Visitor

I also have a new Sony (XBR55x900e), and I am seeing pretty bad lip sync issue. Noticed a little watching a sitcom. Noticed it a lot on Sunday watching NFL RedZone. Whenever they cut back to the host, it was really bad. 

FWIW, I wasn't noticing the audio lag when I had a digital optical wire going from xfinity box directly to my surround sound system. Could it be an ARC issue?

Frequent Visitor

Peter, I've tried ARC and unplugging arc.

same issue.

Frequent Visitor

Ya know, now I'm even seeing audio ahead of the video!

Service Expert

Shoppingcsg wrote:

Let's see, checking "about" info. Attached a pic...

yes, I've powered down. I'll try again just for fun. Thx much for your thoughts. Appreciate the insight.

you have the same XRE menu system and a week newer firmware than I do. The pace DVR version one has a history of sync problems and only 5 tuners available instead of the now normal 6. You might try to watch that one 'to' empty and then swap it out for a much newer version. Note it is the only version that has the component connector so if you are using that there is no newer model with that feature.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Peter1983 wrote:

I also have a new Sony (XBR55x900e), and I am seeing pretty bad lip sync issue. Noticed a little watching a sitcom. Noticed it a lot on Sunday watching NFL RedZone. Whenever they cut back to the host, it was really bad. 

FWIW, I wasn't noticing the audio lag when I had a digital optical wire going from xfinity box directly to my surround sound system. Could it be an ARC issue?

you didn't mention your XRE or firmware numbers, but while watching a network broadcast (like NBC HD) you can use your set's remote and the TV set's menu system to adjust lipsync. My guess due to the number of people writing posts about the same issue is a particular model of X! set top box is having a problem with new firmware (just a guess). 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Shoppingcsg wrote:

Ya know, now I'm even seeing audio ahead of the video!

that is your TV's circuits, the TV remote menu will find a lipsync to fix that. wonder if the other reports noticed the audio is ahead of the video too?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

Peter1983 wrote:

you didn't mention your XRE or firmware numbers, but while watching a network broadcast (like NBC HD) you can use your set's remote and the TV set's menu system to adjust lipsync. My guess due to the number of people writing posts about the same issue is a particular model of X! set top box is having a problem with new firmware (just a guess). 

Well, I agree it's a Comcsat issue, but not just with X! boxes, because I have non-X1 boxes.  I have RNG110 boxes.  I wish a Comcast Tech would chime in.  Reconnecting cables, rebooting boxes, rebooting TVs has no effect.

Frequent Visitor

Thx. Just to be clear, you are suggesting swapping out my set top box? I didn't quite follow the 'empty' part...

New Poster

This problem started happening for me right after the last firmware upgrade on November 28th. I too am in the SF Bay Area. I was able to minimize but not eliminate the problem by setting the dvr hdmi audio to "expert mode".
Frequent Visitor

I don't see that option on my box, Rick.

Service Expert

Shoppingcsg wrote:

Thx. Just to be clear, you are suggesting swapping out my set top box? I didn't quite follow the 'empty' part...

yes, if you don't need the component connectors available on the pace version 1 DVR. If it is a DVR and storing recordings, you will lose the recordings by swapping out (last 60 hours will be available in the cloud). watching it empty means watching the older recordings that are not in the cloud before swapping out the set top box. you can keep the box of course and not swap out.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Same here and same tv. Only on certain channels. Disney (All of them, Bravo, certain shows on certain networks). Happened about 4 or 5 days ago and the picture quality on the channels is a lot less quality than it has been. Streaming, gaming, all else is fine. Most channels are ok but the ones that are bad are WAY out of sync. Plugged directly into tv, tried all settings and reset box and tv. Have one of the original boxes when voice remote first launched about a year back.
Service Expert

anon86290 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Peter1983 wrote:

Well, I agree it's a Comcsat issue, but not just with X! boxes, because I have non-X1 boxes.  I have RNG110 boxes.  I wish a Comcast Tech would chime in.  Reconnecting cables, rebooting boxes, rebooting TVs has no effect.

you might want to post your question in the non-X1 area of the forum. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

FYI, called Comcast today. Got up to level 2...nice guy.

he tweaked some things. Improvement, but not perfect. He said it could get better in a few hours.

if not, swap to new box. I'll report back!

Regular Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

anon86290 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

Peter1983 wrote:

you might want to post your question in the non-X1 area of the forum. 

I did consider posting to non-X1 forum, but I posted here because you mentioned that you thought the problem was with particular models of X! STBs.  It is not JUST with X!s.  At any rate, you moved my original post to the non-X! forum.  Regardless, none of your suggestions has helped anyone, so I wish a Comcast Tech would chime in.

Administrator
Administrator

Hi all, just wanted to follow up on this to see if any of you are still experiencing the problem. It seems like this issue might have been related to a local problem, but wanted to get more information from you all to make sure it's been resolved. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Yep still a problem.. started happening about 2 weeks ago +/-

Went in store got a replacement box and the issue persists
New Poster

Yes. Still an issue on X1 Box that has worked fine for at least a year ony Samsung 4k TV. Also in the Bay Area (SF). Tried all the solutions here without success. Started a few weeks ago.
Regular Contributor

ComcastFrancisc wrote:

Hi all, just wanted to follow up on this to see if any of you are still experiencing the problem. It seems like this issue might have been related to a local problem, but wanted to get more information from you all to make sure it's been resolved. 

Yes,  I still have the problem.  But, it comes and goes.  It's only on HD channels.

New Poster

The sound lag started a seven months ago when I first upgraded to "X1." I have had annoying little issues for years with comcast.  I call them 'little issues' now since I now have a big issue with sound lag that gets worse and worse over time. WIthin 2 hours I have actors speaking while there is a dog commercial, then the end of the dog commercial sound plays during the next commercial for beer, then the end of the beer commercial sound plays while the show starts again. Movies, HD, non-HD, it happens with all channels.

Multiple calls to xfinity resulted in a list of agents who all read from the same flip-cards and do the same reset and ask if the cable signal is better - which it is, of course. I tell them to wait 2 hours and see the sound lag - which, of course, they don't. Recently I actually got one of the agents to schedule a technician scheduled to come to the house. Later that day I get a call from a supervisory person who asked me how the picture is. I ask why, he said they did some signal improvement work after testing my line and seeing less than perfect test results. I turn on the TV and of course everything is great - I say wait for a couple of hours and ask me again. He says since the problem is fixed he was cancelling the technician.

Seven months ago when I upgraded they brought 2 new boxes with manual remotes and told me their inventory of X1 boxes and voice remotes had been depleted due to the success of the advertised upgrade offer; I was told I would get two voice remotes with their boxes "...as soon as they got them in.". I called a month ago, telling the agent that I was still waiting for my actual upgraded boxes with remotes. She went through the list of equipment replacements and told me I would be paying $10.00 more per box, there was a $15 dollar shipping fee, I needed a $10.95 per month insurance charge due to the possibility of a technician needing to repair my line due to the issues I have had; and these boxes would fix the sound lag. I said I was already paying the upgrade prices and YOUR inventory was short so why would I pay shipping prices. I refected this offer.

During one of my subsequent calls to the agents to get the sound and now frequent pixellating fixed, I was told that there apparently was never any inventory shortage, and I got immediately scheduled for 2 new X1 boxes with voice remotes for no additional charges. She said it would probably not fix the sound lag, but since I was paying for the service I would get the two boxes and new voice remotes anyway.

Sound lag is still there, pixelation sometimes, and I now just turn my TV off and back on every two hours or sooner sicne the sound lag is not consistent.

And my wife's upstairs TV and box work just fine.

Northwest PA.

Service Expert

JackArmstrong wrote:

The sound lag started a seven months ago when I first upgraded to "X1." I have had annoying little issues for years with comcast.  I call them 'little issues' now since I now have a big issue with sound lag that gets worse and worse over time. WIthin 2 hours I have actors speaking while there is a dog commercial, then the end of the dog commercial sound plays during the next commercial for beer, then the end of the beer commercial sound plays while the show starts again. Movies, HD, non-HD, it happens with all channels.

Multiple calls to xfinity resulted in a list of agents who all read from the same flip-cards and do the same reset and ask if the cable signal is better - which it is, of course. I tell them to wait 2 hours and see the sound lag - which, of course, they don't. Recently I actually got one of the agents to schedule a technician scheduled to come to the house. Later that day I get a call from a supervisory person who asked me how the picture is. I ask why, he said they did some signal improvement work after testing my line and seeing less than perfect test results. I turn on the TV and of course everything is great - I say wait for a couple of hours and ask me again. He says since the problem is fixed he was cancelling the technician.

Seven months ago when I upgraded they brought 2 new boxes with manual remotes and told me their inventory of X1 boxes and voice remotes had been depleted due to the success of the advertised upgrade offer; I was told I would get two voice remotes with their boxes "...as soon as they got them in.". I called a month ago, telling the agent that I was still waiting for my actual upgraded boxes with remotes. She went through the list of equipment replacements and told me I would be paying $10.00 more per box, there was a $15 dollar shipping fee, I needed a $10.95 per month insurance charge due to the possibility of a technician needing to repair my line due to the issues I have had; and these boxes would fix the sound lag. I said I was already paying the upgrade prices and YOUR inventory was short so why would I pay shipping prices. I refected this offer.

During one of my subsequent calls to the agents to get the sound and now frequent pixellating fixed, I was told that there apparently was never any inventory shortage, and I got immediately scheduled for 2 new X1 boxes with voice remotes for no additional charges. She said it would probably not fix the sound lag, but since I was paying for the service I would get the two boxes and new voice remotes anyway.

Sound lag is still there, pixelation sometimes, and I now just turn my TV off and back on every two hours or sooner sicne the sound lag is not consistent.

And my wife's upstairs TV and box work just fine.

Northwest PA.

@ComcastFrancisc will probably look back in on this thread shortly. Would you select his post and click on his username and send a private message to him with your name, address, account number to speed up the process? be sure to hit the signin link in upper right to enable the ability to send the private message.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Administrator
Administrator

@JackArmstrong your issue seems to be unrelated to the same type of problem others were experiencing here. You mentioned that you are getting some pixelation, that makes me believe that your issue might be signal related.  If you already tried adjusting your connections, we might need to send someone out to check. If this was just an audio problem, then it would be a different story and might be other things we could look at. 

@Brandito, @Darrenweingard and @anon86290, I will check to see if it might be a problem still on the area, if that is not the case anymore then we might have to treat the problems as individual problems and potentially even have someone out. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I also have an audio sync problem.  I have the newer XG1v4 box and a new 4K UHD Samsung TV.  I tried hooking the xfinity box directly to the TV and through a sony A/V receiver through the ARC. There are audio sync problems no matter which way I try.  

My TV and A/V Receiver both offer "negative" audio lag adjustments (audio delay increments), but this doesn't help, because the lips move before the audio.  Adjustments just make the problem worse.  There is no "positive" audio lag adjustment.  I actually need a video lag adjustments.  ;-)

I get lag using Netflix and live TV through the XG1v4.  If i stream netflix through the Samsung TV's internet to the receiver via ARC, I don't get any lag.  I have rebooted my Xfinity box many times.  If I stream Netflix through my PS4 or watch a DVD from my PS4, there is no lag.

I have also tried using Xfinity audio through Digital Out from the Samsung to my A/V Receiver, but still getting audio sync problems even trying that.  

Problem Solver

jolthammer wrote:

I also have an audio sync problem.  I have the newer XG1v4 box and a new 4K UHD Samsung TV.  I tried hooking the xfinity box directly to the TV and through a sony A/V receiver through the ARC. There are audio sync problems no matter which way I try.  

My TV and A/V Receiver both offer "negative" audio lag adjustments (audio delay increments), but this doesn't help, because the lips move before the audio.  Adjustments just make the problem worse.  There is no "positive" audio lag adjustment.  I actually need a video lag adjustments.  ;-)

I get lag using Netflix and live TV through the XG1v4.  If i stream netflix through the Samsung TV's internet to the receiver via ARC, I don't get any lag.  I have rebooted my Xfinity box many times.  If I stream Netflix through my PS4 or watch a DVD from my PS4, there is no lag.

I have also tried using Xfinity audio through Digital Out from the Samsung to my A/V Receiver, but still getting audio sync problems even trying that.  

I have noticed that if the sound is out of sinc when playing streaming videos, that the problem can be fixed by: pausiing video, back up about 1 minute, and resume video again.

This worked for me on: "Ultra HD sampler" 4k app, and NBC app, when this occured a few times.

Frequent Visitor

I have this same issue and its been pretty frustrating. 

LG 4kUHD 65"

Newer X1v4 box

Vizio 5.1 sound bar

Was originally hooked up with optical cable going from TV to Soundbar, essentially all HDMI sound signals going into the TV routed out to sound bar via Optical. That is until I set up HDMI ARC. After setting up ARC it seemed to be 'ok' and just like another poster; just wait about a few hours and the audio is so badly out of sync. I ended up having to restart the box, which is just stupid. Its about a 5 minute restart. 

All other inputs, apps on tv, work satisfactory. 

Netflix(on TV app) - no issues

Hulu(TV app) - no issues 

Xbox One S syncs audio great on input 3

My Nintendo Switch, PS4 all sync good on input 2(Designated ARC channel, also has a HDMI in from 1080p receiver to Soundbar) all great.

All of these inputs route to the sound bar via HDMI ARC. 

Any fix other than changing the input or restarting the box to fix this issue?? Nothing like a permanent band-aid.

** side note ** The audio sync on Comcast X1 v.4 box has NEVER lined up very well. Only tolerable at this point, it has always been slightly off by 8-10 milliseconds. I've tried LG TV A/V sync option along with the Vizio sound bar A/V sync with no success. 

Service Expert

@Tmick wrote:

LG 4kUHD 65"

Newer X1v4 box

Vizio 5.1 sound bar

Was originally hooked up with optical cable going from TV to Soundbar, essentially all HDMI sound signals going into the TV routed out to sound bar via Optical. That is until I set up HDMI ARC. After setting up ARC it seemed to be 'ok' and just like another poster; just wait about a few hours and the audio is so badly out of sync. I ended up having to restart the box, which is just stupid. Its about a 5 minute restart. 

Hulu(TV app) - no issues 

My Nintendo Switch, PS4 all sync good on input 2(Designated ARC channel, also has a HDMI in from 1080p receiver to Soundbar) all great.

Any fix other than changing the input or restarting the box to fix this issue?? Nothing like a permanent band-aid.

** side note ** The audio sync on Comcast X1 v.4 box has NEVER lined up very well. Only tolerable at this point, it has always been slightly off by 8-10 milliseconds. I've tried LG TV A/V sync option along with the Vizio sound bar A/V sync with no success. 

That's strange; I'm getting an audio sync issue with my bluetooth headphones and the 4k DVR.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Tmick wrote:

LG 4kUHD 65"

Newer X1v4 box

Vizio 5.1 sound bar

Hulu(TV app) - no issues 

That's strange; I'm getting an audio sync issue with my bluetooth headphones and the 4k DVR.

use your TV's remote to adjust that HDMI port's lip-sync (if plugged into TV from set top box). If plugged into a receiver, use the receiver's remote and menu to adjust lip-sync.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I have the non sync problem also. I am located just outside Chicago. Nothing helps. Have tried all suggests to no avail. Help!

Service Expert

@Valle1 wrote:

I have the non sync problem also. I am located just outside Chicago. Nothing helps. Have tried all suggests to no avail. Help!

did you do what is in the post just before your post?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I have a Samsung soundbar attached to an LG 4K HD TV.  Finally found what I believe is the sync adjustment you mentioned.  It works for now.  Still having problens with my Samsung HDTV using an internal speaker on a cloud X1 cable box.  Will continue to investigate that one.  Thanks...for now.

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats