Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Set Top Box Standby Mode

Regular Visitor

Set Top Box Standby Mode

Prior to 4/5/2018 my XR11 remote ALL POWER would put my Set Top Box in Standby mode and the BLUE light would turn off.  On the morning of the 5th when I powered up my STB and TV the picture was ZOOMED. 

I did a STB SYSTEM REFRESH and it resolve the Zoom BUT the ALL POWER will not put the STB in Standby and the Blue Light stays on.

3/23/2018 was the date given for the last update.

Regular Visitor

Re: Set Top Box Standby Mode

The ALL POWER still powers down my TV.

Expert

@bkm68 wrote:

Prior to 4/5/2018 my XR11 remote ALL POWER would put my Set Top Box in Standby mode and the BLUE light would turn off.  On the morning of the 5th when I powered up my STB and TV the picture was ZOOMED. 

I did a STB SYSTEM REFRESH and it resolve the Zoom BUT the ALL POWER will not put the STB in Standby and the Blue Light stays on.

3/23/2018 was the date given for the last update.

box is designed to be on 24/7 you can go into device settings and turn off the blue light.

Regular Visitor

The remote was turning the Blue Light Off putting the STB in Standby and software and guide updates were being performed prior to 4/5.

That is why they have standby mode which causes the Blue Light to be off and lower power consumption.

New Poster

I too am now having the same issue from same timeline you did. Having box that turned off when all power button was hit to now have it stay on as box is 24/7 doesn't sound correct.

Regular Visitor

@donho12 wrote:

I too am now having the same issue from same timeline you did. Having box that turned off when all power button was hit to now have it stay on as box is 24/7 doesn't sound correct.

Thanks, can't be two of us losing our mental faculties.

Rustyben has posted his message in many places.  I don't think he reads the post just uses the same message as SOP. 

If he'd read post he'd see that STB's are performing differently.

I only hope we get a Comcast Tech that reads the posts and addresses the POSTED PROBLEM.

B

Expert

@bkm68 wrote:

@donho12 wrote:

Rustyben has posted his message in many places.  I don't think he reads the post just uses the same message as SOP. 

I only hope we get a Comcast Tech that reads the posts and addresses the POSTED PROBLEM.

B

I read it all and there are no given SOP boilerplate messages other than referring to known issues or for expediting problems. the idea is to save energy/money. a set top box put in standby mode (turn off LED/clock and remove 'presense' data from HDMI will save you around $1/year if left in standby 24/7/365 (better to just not have the box then, right?). After working that out, to me it is far better to turn off the LED in your settings like I did. It appears that the box works best just being 'on' all the time with the signal present all the time at the HDMI port. 

Regular Visitor

@Rustyben wrote:

@bkm68 wrote:

@donho12 wrote:

B

I read it all and there are no given SOP boilerplate messages other than referring to known issues or for expediting problems. the idea is to save energy/money. a set top box put in standby mode (turn off LED/clock and remove 'presense' data from HDMI will save you around $1/year if left in standby 24/7/365 (better to just not have the box then, right?). After working that out, to me it is far better to turn off the LED in your settings like I did. It appears that the box works best just being 'on' all the time with the signal present all the time at the HDMI port. 

Then why did the remote turn the blue light off before 4/5/2018???

And also tell me every morning it saved power for "X" hours.  It was lying to me?