Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Series recordings have switched from HD to SD

Contributor

Series recordings have switched from HD to SD

Whatever update was pushed recently, it messed up many of our series recordings.

All of our series recordings were recording on the HD channels until today when CBS and FOX started recording in SD.  I went into the series recordings options and there are only three options now:

WBBM (this is our CBS channel)

HD Preferred

SD Preferred

The setting was on WBBM when it should have be on WBBMD which is no longer listed in the menu.  The same thing happened with our FOX recordings (they were set to WFLD instead of WFLDD and WFLDD didn't appear as a selection).

However, what makes this stranger is that I checked our ABC and NBC series and those have WLSD1 and WMAQD as options and the SD options on not listed in the menu.  I was able to go through all of our CBS and FOX series and change them to HD Preferred but something really messed these menus up.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Series recordings have switched from HD to SD

Unplug and reboot all of your X1 boxes. Plug the DVR back in first and wait for it to fully reboot then plug in your secondary boxes. Then go into the X1 menu on your DVR and do the DVR Sync thing.

Yes you need to confirm your record settings.

Nobody else is  complaining about this so wondering why this issue is isolated to you.

kjakubowsk wrote:

Whatever update was pushed recently, it messed up many of our series recordings.

All of our series recordings were recording on the HD channels until today when CBS and FOX started recording in SD.  I went into the series recordings options and there are only three options now:

HD Preferred

SD Preferred

The setting was on WBBM when it should have be on WBBMD which is no longer listed in the menu.  The same thing happened with our FOX recordings (they were set to WFLD instead of WFLDD and WFLDD didn't appear as a selection).

However, what makes this stranger is that I checked our ABC and NBC series and those have WLSD1 and WMAQD as options and the SD options on not listed in the menu.  I was able to go through all of our CBS and FOX series and change them to HD Preferred but something really messed these menus up.

Frequent Visitor

Same exact problem (in Chicago). Recordings are defaulting to SD.

Contributor

mantism wrote:

Same exact problem (in Chicago). Recordings are defaulting to SD.

Yep.  I didn't mention I am in Chicago (Oswego to be exact).

Service Expert

kjakubowsk wrote:

HD Preferred

SD Preferred

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

New Poster

Same issue here, Southwest suburbs of Chicago
Regular Contributor

Same issue here North Suburbs

Frequent Visitor

Same thing has happened to me. Two shows from last night (Thur) recorded in glorious SD. Both were network shows,

ABC and Fox. For tonight I have two shows on the list, CBS and Animal Planet. I checked and saw CBS (Hawaii 5-0) was

showing SD, so I changed it back to HD. The second show on Animal Planet, still showed HD. We will see what records

tonight. I am located in the western burbs of Chicago so a pattern has developed it would seem.

Regular Visitor

This is happening in Plainfield il also

Regular Contributor

I went back and canceled all my series recordings, as they were at least a week out with SD recordings.  It appears NBC was the only major network not affected.  I set up new series recordings and so far they show future HD recordings

Official Employee

Hi kjakubowsk/all, 

It seems to me that there are some issues affecting your area. I've checked 2 or 3 of  your signals. I'm seeing similar signal issues on your boxes. 

Please send me a private message with your full name and phone number on your account so I can take a look further and send some signals to test for a fix. 

KenF

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
New Poster

Same thing has occurred with my X1 platform. (Chicago)
Official Employee

Same thing has occurred with my X1 platform. (Chicago)

dburke11, Are you able to switch the recording preference to HD preferred?

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Regular Visitor

Same issue in Joliet, IL.
New Poster

Same issue here. Western suburbs.

Frequent Visitor

A little update from  my post of yesterday, my recording of Animal Planet took place in the proper (HD) format. However the recording of Hawaii 5-0 CBS,

did not record at all ! I had reset the recording back to HD, and remember hitting the confirm button. So now what? Fix what you broke. 

New Poster

Same issue in Wheeling.  All CBS and ABC recordings.  I deleted them and reset for HD channel.

Regular Contributor

Happened to me too in the far NW suburbs of Chicago.  Apparently there was an outage with CBS, FOX, and maybe a few other channels that caused this.  I reset my recordings to use the 10xx channels. Hopefully it was a one time thing.

New Poster

I have the same issue! I’m in Highland Park. Comcast, is there a fix for this? I don’t think people really want to reset all of their recordings - such a waste of time especially with the high premium we’re all paying. Maybe it’s time to take this forum on social media people. Not acceptable that it is taking this long to fix something that should have never been broken to begin with.
Administrator
Administrator

Hi all, are any of you still experiencing problems with this? If you are, try power cycling your box by unplugging it and reconnecting and please let me know if any future recordings are still having this issue. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

I too am in Chicago and noticed the same thing.  Appears to have happened in the last week

New Poster

I just power cycled my DVR box and all secondary boxes and still has the network television shows set to record in SD when I had them all set as HD before.  The cable channels (HBO, Sho, Discover all kept their HD settings).  Only CBS, NBC, and ABC shows changed to SD.  Only way I could fix was go into each scheduled record and reset to HD preffered which is extremely annoying when I have more than 30 programs scheduled

Administrator
Administrator

Did the HD preference change to SD, or was it still showing HD? If that is the case I would recomend everyone having this issue to check their recording preferences. I am trying to get more details of what might have caused this. But need more examples of the issue, it also does seem to be isolated to the Chicago area. There is a chance that there was an interruption of the HD feeds that caused the recordings to default to their SD bands. However, I am going to have to look into this a bit more to get to the bottom of it. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
New Poster

Same issue here, Buffalo Grove, IL. The actual scheduled recordings switched to SD channels instead of 1XX. At least Fox and CBS had to be manually switched back
New Poster

Same issue for me. In Chicago. Really annoying
New Poster

After at least six calls with Comcast (and multiple refresh signals) - I am still having this issue.  Recordings on CBS and ABC are still impacted (defaulted to SD).  I was told by "Jason" today at what was purportedly was the highest level of support that there was nothing Comcast could do - I would have to manually reset all of my series recordings.  This is not an acceptable solution given it was triggered by something Comcast did.  I live in Northwest Indiana.

Service Expert

when the channel numbers are assigned (3rd party maybe?) the call letters are the same for SD and HD except for additional D or HD at end of the call letters. for Example CNN and CNN and CNNHD. pick one channel that is having that issue and see if the call letters still fall into that format. Easy fix of course is to find the show's next episode in the current guide and select record series. then remove the old series recording. Be sure to set the recording to 'that channel only' from the guide, not a search for a program name. 

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Same problem in Chicago on X1 here. 

Tried a restart and a system refresh. Individual recording for Fresh off the Boat tonight for example. The recording tonight was in SD and said the season pass as as well. If I look at my list of series priority, however, it’s still listed as HD. Has happened w a few other shows for the past few days. As far as I can tell, they’re all network tv stations. 

New Poster

restart does not work.  the only fix i found was to delete the recording, then find the next episode on the guide and set the recording for HD.   I found issues on CBS, ABC and FOX not NBC not sure why)   Since this is a comcast problem maybe they should figure out why it happened, so it does not happen again.  I am in North Burbs of Chicago

Contributor

hd recordings are being switched to sd?

I have all my scheduled recordings in hd but they are all switching to sd. For example I have an ABC show scheduled on channel 187 but when I check future recordings the show is showing recording on channel 7.

Frequent Visitor

So here we go again with yet another SD/HD snafu. Just for the heck of it I went into the guide to see if my recordings

still showed HD, they didn't, they showed nothing! No recordings set at all! It was as if I never set them! No red dots no 

anything! I reset tonight's recordings (two shows) and will wait to see if anything records (in whatever format).

Somebody messed up big time, I hope they didn't get paid for this job. This is pathetic.

Highlighted
Service Expert

Farmerjohn wrote:

So here we go again with yet another SD/HD snafu. Just for the heck of it I went into the guide to see if my recordings

still showed HD, they didn't, they showed nothing! No recordings set at all! It was as if I never set them! No red dots no 

anything! I reset tonight's recordings (two shows) and will wait to see if anything records (in whatever format).

Somebody messed up big time, I hope they didn't get paid for this job. This is pathetic.

best practice for making a series recording is to use the guide find next episode and set recording from the channel you wish to record (like HD of ABC). setting a recording via a search for a series won't give you the option of recording the particular ABC HD channel. The HD preferred depends on the guide provider (not Comcast) setting the channel call-letters with cross-reference for SD-HD relationship. Just note next 'SD' recording data-time and then remove the series and set via the guide.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

DVR update for schedule recordings reduces functionality

Not sure the best way to give feedback to comcast.

The pushed an update out to the DVRs and have caused a problem with the recordings.

When setting up a recording series you now have an option of channel, HD perferred, SD perferred.

the channel used to be an exact channel now it is the channel(HD or SD)

So for example Criminal Minds before the update I could record channel 189 (HD)

After the update I record WBBM

This causes the low def version to be recorded.  To fix the issue I can switch it to HD perferred however this causes a different problem.  I want only new shows on channel 189 (HD) however ionHD will air criminal minds and mark it as new.  This causes a ton of recordings to occur that I do not want since I only want the new on channel 189.

This also happens with a variety of other shows.

Please either revert the functionality back or change the support to add exact channel in additon to the other settings

New Poster

Just went to play a CBS series recording made this evening and wondered why it was suddenly in SD. Bummed, but didn't think much about it. Went to play a CBS series recording from Sunday and it was also SD. Seriously Comcast, you should find out what happened and let us know. Yeah it stinks that we have to reset our recordings, but we'd like you to be a bit more transparent about what happened. Did you "drop" the HD channels accidentally for a minute and the DVRs automatically switched to SD? If so, can you drop the SD channels for a minute to reset everybody?
Service Expert

Re: DVR update for schedule recordings reduces functionality

lostxp wrote:

The pushed an update out to the DVRs and have caused a problem with the recordings.

When setting up a recording series you now have an option of channel, HD perferred, SD perferred.

This causes the low def version to be recorded.  To fix the issue I can switch it to HD perferred however this causes a different problem.  I want only new shows on channel 189 (HD) however ionHD will air criminal minds and mark it as new.  This causes a ton of recordings to occur that I do not want since I only want the new on channel 189.

Please either revert the functionality back or change the support to add exact channel in additon to the other settings

note the next time on the schedule for the program in HD (date, channel, time). delete the series and find it on the guide, press record button and you will have the option to record on that channel (the HD one). you will not see that option if you search for a title of a series.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

Lurchbird wrote:
Just went to play a CBS series recording made this evening and wondered why it was suddenly in SD. Bummed, but didn't think much about it. Went to play a CBS series recording from Sunday and it was also SD. Seriously Comcast, you should find out what happened and let us know. Yeah it stinks that we have to reset our recordings, but we'd like you to be a bit more transparent about what happened. Did you "drop" the HD channels accidentally for a minute and the DVRs automatically switched to SD? If so, can you drop the SD channels for a minute to reset everybody?

find the next time the series airs in HD and note the channel, date and time. delete the current series recording and then use the guide to locate the next episode. Hit the record button and select series recording, and use the channel choice for that channel only. The problem seems to be with those recordings that were originally set via a search and not by using the guide.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Exact same problems as everyone else. Local networks reverted to SD when they used to record in HD. Cable networks (MSNBC, USA, TNT) are fine and still record in HD. If a Comcast rep wants to contact me to troubleshoot further I'm home on bed rest after surgery and available.

Service Expert

kenwiesner wrote:

Exact same problems as everyone else. Local networks reverted to SD when they used to record in HD. Cable networks (MSNBC, USA, TNT) are fine and still record in HD. If a Comcast rep wants to contact me to troubleshoot further I'm home on bed rest after surgery and available.

were you able to follow the 'fix' above (delete recording after noting next episode channel, date and time) and using the guide to navigate to the next episode and press the record button, select series and have the menu choice to record on that channel only (will be in HD if you are on HD version of the channel on the guide)?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Official Employee

Re: hd recordings are being switched to sd?

Hello rdlouhy, there are some settings that you can manage that will set the DVR to record the HD version only. Once you have your show selected click "record all episodes" then scroll down to "channels" and select "HD preferred". 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Service Expert

Re: hd recordings are being switched to sd?

ComcastAmir wrote:

Hello rdlouhy, there are some settings that you can manage that will set the DVR to record the HD version only. Once you have your show selected click "record all episodes" then scroll down to "channels" and select "HD preferred". 

hi, @ComcastAmir they have that set (from search they added the recording). In the northeast the 'link' between SD vs HD on some channels has been lost or broken in that the scheduler doesn't see the HD version of the Call Letter linear channel and records the SD version of the channel. The work-around is to note the next episode's channel, date, and time and delete the old not-working series recording and add the series recording back again from the guide (which adds the choice to record on that channel only and if chosen to record from the HD linear channel will be in HD automatically.). Could you ask about the broken 'link' in the scheduler between the SD and HD versions of the same call-letter linear channels? This problem is only so far in the north-east in Indiana and the Chicago area If I recall correctly.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

The same thing is happening to us in the Northwest Chicago Suburbs.  I just tried talking to tech support on the phone and they have no idea what is going on.  How do we fix this.  Clearly there is a problem.  Thank you.

New Poster

Northwest Chicago Suburbs.  Same exact thing started happening last week.  There should be a fix.  yes we can manually change to HD preferred but why would the HD channels automatically default to that setting? 

Service Expert

Series recordings made from the guide have the added benefit of a 'call-letters only' for channels where call-letters are like WGN etc. You can't get that choice after using a search for a program. to fix the current issue where the link between SD and HD channels has been temporarily(?) lost just delete the series recording after writing down the next episode's HD channel number, date and time. Once deleted use the guide to go to that next episode's listing and hit the record button. That will fix the problem.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben wrote:

lostxp wrote:

note the next time on the schedule for the program in HD (date, channel, time). delete the series and find it on the guide, press record button and you will have the option to record on that channel (the HD one). you will not see that option if you search for a title of a series.

That is what I did.  It used to say record on channel 187 (the HD channel) now it says record on WBBM.

Frequent Visitor

lostxp wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

lostxp wrote:

That is what I did.  It used to say record on channel 187 (the HD channel) now it says record on WBBM.

slight correction it said WBBMD.  Also someone suggested that maybe the HD fieed was haing an issue.  This occured on both CBS and ABC in the Chicago area.  Also I turn the HD feed on live and both were fine.  The examples I have occured on 12/6/17.  The recording itself states that is was on 7 ABC7 (ie SD).

New Poster

Folks -

I have experienced the same issue and, at the end of a frustrating call with technical support, was told that I need a home visit because we have a "marginal" signal.  That was before I had read this thread but I told them that I was very skeptical that marginal signal would manifest only manifest in this odd issue.  I realize that stuff happens on these complex systems but feel that Comcast doesn't do a reasonable job of communicating with their valued (?) customers. 

Service Expert

lostxp wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

lostxp wrote:

If/when Comcast changes channel numbers the call letter of the station won't change so changes won't cause recording errors in the future. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

hmcdonell wrote:

Folks -

I have experienced the same issue and, at the end of a frustrating call with technical support, was told that I need a home visit because we have a "marginal" signal.  That was before I had read this thread but I told them that I was very skeptical that marginal signal would manifest only manifest in this odd issue.  I realize that stuff happens on these complex systems but feel that Comcast doesn't do a reasonable job of communicating with their valued (?) customers. 

were you able to fix your own series recordings entries?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I believe so.  Somehow, it was more confusing than I expected but now okay.  Thanks for checking.

New Poster

Same for me, in. Chicago, all of or series recordings on ABC, CBS and Fox (not NBC, or other cable channels) switched from HD channel to SD channel for these three stations (for example, WBBMD, station 188, switched to WBBM, station 2. I had to delete and add back from the HD listing (I didn't trust the HD preferred option that is with the SD station record option). This is painful as I need to find all of the series