Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Search does not allow non english words

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

Search does not allow non english words

If I try to search a non-English word ("Suburbicon" or "Rememory", both current movies) the search bar will not allow me to enter the last few letters, I assume because these are not actual words in the English language. This is very annoying!

Accepted Solution

Re: Search does not allow non english words

groverbird wrote:

Rustyben,

Not exactly accurate. Search WILL work finding movies currently only in theaters (usually with the option to "pre-order"), but ONLY if they are English word titles. Non-english is not allowed under any circumstance, because the search engine uses English predictive text only.

This is not to say that foreign languages are excluded, since search will find other language titles. It just refuses to allow entry of letter sequences that don't currently fit a know pattern. Invented words are not allowed.

This is an issue Comcast needs to address. I'm sure they thought they were making the search easier to use with predictive text, but it fails too often.

The reason why you cannot type in the last few letters is because we do not have anything in our library that matches that search term. We only match on programs that are in the current library.

View answer in context
Service Expert

groverbird wrote:

If I try to search a non-English word ("Suburbicon" or "Rememory", both current movies) the search bar will not allow me to enter the last few letters, I assume because these are not actual words in the English language. This is very annoying!

the search on the smart device app includes available content in next approximate two weeks or currently available on-demand. The search results are live when you get to non-match (not available) then more letters won't find more results. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Rustyben,

Not exactly accurate. Search WILL work finding movies currently only in theaters (usually with the option to "pre-order"), but ONLY if they are English word titles. Non-english is not allowed under any circumstance, because the search engine uses English predictive text only.

This is not to say that foreign languages are excluded, since search will find other language titles. It just refuses to allow entry of letter sequences that don't currently fit a know pattern. Invented words are not allowed.

This is an issue Comcast needs to address. I'm sure they thought they were making the search easier to use with predictive text, but it fails too often.

Official Employee

groverbird wrote:

Rustyben,

The reason why you cannot type in the last few letters is because we do not have anything in our library that matches that search term. We only match on programs that are in the current library.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Interesting....Comcast marks their reply as an acceptable solution, when I as the OP was not given the option to do so!!!

Typical Comcast hubris, post an excuse, not a solution and pre-mark it as acceptable solution with no option of recourse by the OP!

BTW......."Rememory" was released two months ago, and it is not in the library?!?!?!

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation