Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Screensaver

Frequent Visitor

Screensaver

I want to disable the screensaver function on my dvr. Everything I have read so far is that all you can do is select the max of 5 hours in settings.  Is there some way to disable this and what is the purpose of the screensaver?

Expert

Re: Screensaver

It is to prevent screen burn-in.  If absolutely no signals from the remote are received in 5 hours, the box goes to screensaver mode.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the info. How does a screensaver prevent burn-in? Back in the ‘“old days”, we prevented screen burn-in by shutting the monitor off. By using a screensaver, wouldn’t that also cause a burn-in?  

Expert

@sacrlc wrote:

Thanks for the info. How does a screensaver prevent burn-in? Back in the ‘“old days”, we prevented screen burn-in by shutting the monitor off. By using a screensaver, wouldn’t that also cause a burn-in?  

As you know, it only applies to those of us who use an older TV with X1.  20+ million X1 users is a pretty large footprint.

Frequent Visitor

I don’t understand why all of a sudden screensavers are now required since this was not necessary for the older tv’s. If this is for an older tv, wouldn’t it follow that it should be an optional feature instead of a mandatory one for those who have the newer tv’s?