Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Screensaver Popping On Every 6 to 10 Minutes During TV Shows and DVR Programming.

New Poster

Screensaver Popping On Every 6 to 10 Minutes During TV Shows and DVR Programming.

Our Screen Saver is coming on every 6 to 10 minutes.  Each time we must find the remote nd clear it.  It has become extreamly annoying.  We called Customer Service Tech Support and they could not help.  They had to schedule an appointment for a tech to come out.  I went on your Help Forum and found where numerious people are having this issue and seems to be something that you can't fix!   Is the solution a new Master Box?   I can't believe that we did not even try a reset or settings, or anything.   Just Send Out A Rep!  Which Really screwes up my schedule.   What can I try.  We have already tried the following.  

• Set the Screen Save Time to 5 Hours (The Highest Possible) 
  • Held Power Button and did a Hard Reboot.  

NOTE: It is also doing it on the secondary TVs as well, but not as often.  

Please Help!  How do we Completely Disable the Screen Saver?  

Service Expert

Re: Screensaver Popping On Every 6 to 10 Minutes During TV Shows and DVR Programming.

HurricaneIan wrote:

Our Screen Saver is coming on every 6 to 10 minutes.  Each time we must find the remote nd clear it.  It has become extreamly annoying.  We called Customer Service Tech Support and they could not help.  They had to schedule an appointment for a tech to come out.  I went on your Help Forum and found where numerious people are having this issue and seems to be something that you can't fix!   Is the solution a new Master Box?   I can't believe that we did not even try a reset or settings, or anything.   Just Send Out A Rep!  Which Really screwes up my schedule.   What can I try.  We have already tried the following.  

• Set the Screen Save Time to 5 Hours (The Highest Possible) 
  • Held Power Button and did a Hard Reboot.  

NOTE: It is also doing it on the secondary TVs as well, but not as often.  

Please Help!  How do we Completely Disable the Screen Saver?  

using your X1 remote press the Xfinity button > gear(settings) > Device Settings > Screen saver > OK button and select your choice of time (i set mine to max of 5 hours).

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Screensaver Popping On Every 6 to 10 Minutes During TV Shows and DVR Programming.

The screen saver will not kick in unless you leave a menu item on the screen or you pause live TV or a recording.

As long as you are watching live TV and the menu or guide is off, the screen saver should not engage.
Official Employee

Hi 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

Started this afternoon - Wednesday 7/26 .. the screensaver - if that's what you call it -- is coming on every few minutes.  Changing the settings have no effect .. it still keeps popping up and interrupting LIVE tv.  Trying to watch WGAL news and this is very aggravating.

Service Expert

dnr57 wrote:

Started this afternoon - Wednesday 7/26 .. the screensaver - if that's what you call it -- is coming on every few minutes.  Changing the settings have no effect .. it still keeps popping up and interrupting LIVE tv.  Trying to watch WGAL news and this is very aggravating.

could it be the tv generated screen saver? what do you do to dismiss it? have more than one X1 set top; box? if so swap and see if problem moves with the box.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

The screensaver popping up just started today.   I changed to screensaver setting to 5 hours and it still happens.   I have another set top box and it is not having this problem. Any ideas? 

Service Expert

Reboot the box first.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

UPDATE >> It Continues, but some days are better than others.   We went 2 days without the Screen Saver, then it started again.  Possibly due to the Nightly Forced Updates that come down for the Boxes at 3:35am.  The responses in here are appreciated, but I have already tried the following:

1) Power Cycling all Boxes

2) Calling Comcast and dealing with Foreign Tech Support

3) Setting the Screen Saver to 5 Hours

4) Double Checked that the Screen Saver is the Cable Box and Not the TV

We continue to also have issues with the Menu being very slow and glitchy as well.  This Xfinity X1 System was obviously rolled out before it was ready, at least in our area.  It just does not work right!   I wish Comcast was more responsive to customers that are NOT ABLE to Injoy The Experience.  Comcast said they would research and get back to me...  Geesh, we all know that will never happen.  Its been week now.    With Comcast / Xfinity odds are you will live with a problem rther than get it fixed.   

We are looking at Alternatives to Comcast / Xfinity!  

Gold Problem Solver

The one thing you have not tried is the one thing that will most likely fix the problem.

Have Comcast send a tech out to investigate.

The X1 guide is cloud based making the boxes extremely signal sensitive. X1 boxes have entirely different signal requirements than any previous platform. To make the situation worse, the only Comcast employee that can test ALL critical X1 signals is an on-site technician. Employees in remote locations can see some of the critical signals but not.

With X1, you have not "tried everything" until you have had a fully trained technician out to your house. Also, slow guide performance is a key symptom of signal problems.
Service Expert

HurricaneIan wrote:

UPDATE >> It Continues, but some days are better than others.   We went 2 days without the Screen Saver, then it started again.  Possibly due to the Nightly Forced Updates that come down for the Boxes at 3:35am.  The responses in here are appreciated, but I have already tried the following:

1) Power Cycling all Boxes

2) Calling Comcast and dealing with Foreign Tech Support

3) Setting the Screen Saver to 5 Hours

4) Double Checked that the Screen Saver is the Cable Box and Not the TV

We continue to also have issues with the Menu being very slow and glitchy as well.  This Xfinity X1 System was obviously rolled out before it was ready, at least in our area.  It just does not work right!   I wish Comcast was more responsive to customers that are NOT ABLE to Injoy The Experience.  Comcast said they would research and get back to me...  Geesh, we all know that will never happen.  Its been week now.    With Comcast / Xfinity odds are you will live with a problem rther than get it fixed.   

We are looking at Alternatives to Comcast / Xfinity!  

would you reply with a screen shot of the TV's image when screenshot is active? you can paste it to https://tinyjpg.com/ to compress it to a much smaller size.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Yes, the screensaver will kick on during live tv!

Our started doing it while watching live tv and shows on our DVR yesterday (8/3/17).  It is truly annoying.

New Poster

Sounds like this problem started this week for several of us.  Has there been a new update that this could be a glitch from?  We are only haveing it happen on our main DVR, not on our small box in our bedroom.  It's really annoying.

Service Expert

Mom2zandr wrote:

Sounds like this problem started this week for several of us.  Has there been a new update that this could be a glitch from?  We are only haveing it happen on our main DVR, not on our small box in our bedroom.  It's really annoying.

see message 11 above.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

I am having the same problem for a week now, all the research doesn't seem to show a solution, and we can not disable the screensaver. Please post if you find a solution.

New Poster

Same problem here as well - tried the same solutions.  Very frustrating.

New Poster

Why do I pay so much a month for your service to have a screen saver come on every 6-10 minutes when it is set to come on every 5 hours? why does it come on during live TV. Why are there so many people on this forum asking the same questoin without an answer?

New Poster

Ours just started about 2 hours ago. It is very annoying.
Service Expert

SLC1973 wrote:
Ours just started about 2 hours ago. It is very annoying.

on the remote press the Xfinity button > Device Settings > Screen Saver and set screen saver starts after to 5 hours.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Please read the initial question where it says that was already tried. I'm having the same problem, and my preferences is set for 5 hours as well. Frustrating that no other relevant suggestions are able to be offered, especially since customers have been having this problem for a really long time.

Service Expert

windycity2 wrote:

Please read the initial question where it says that was already tried. I'm having the same problem, and my preferences is set for 5 hours as well. Frustrating that no other relevant suggestions are able to be offered, especially since customers have been having this problem for a really long time.

Just an FYI:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Disable-Screensaver/m-p/2786995#M111105

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Count me in, having the exact same issues and tried all the resettings suggested above.

Icome on Comcast, please fix this.
Service Expert

Mhammo1 wrote:
Count me in, having the exact same issues and tried all the resettings suggested above.

Icome on Comcast, please fix this.

What is your model from System-About?  I don't have the issue with my PX001AN and MX011AN.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Wrong answer. No menu items chosen on Xfinity or TV menus but screen saver still pops up every 3-5 minutes.
Service Expert

scvisel wrote:
Wrong answer. No menu items chosen on Xfinity or TV menus but screen saver still pops up every 3-5 minutes.

what type of images are on the screen? on the menu for screen saver is it set to max time? have you changed the type of screen saver content to see if the screen saver you are seeing is from Comcast or perhaps a TV generated screen saver?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

scvisel wrote:

Someone else was able to fix this with an A Button System Refresh.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

This advice does not resolve the problem!

Set the Screen Save Time to 5 Hours (The Highest Possible)
Held Power Button and did a Hard Reboot.

Why is X1 dumping screensavers on us in the middle of watching the Olympics?

Service Expert

wrote:

This advice does not resolve the problem!

Set the Screen Save Time to 5 Hours (The Highest Possible)
Held Power Button and did a Hard Reboot.

Why is X1 dumping screensavers on us in the middle of watching the Olympics?

are you sure it is a comcast screen saver and not the TV's screensaver?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

It’s xfinity, not the tv. Same issues. 2/14/18
Service Expert

Did you do a System Refresh?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

Kicks in during a movie with no menu action so I would say it’s logic is broken
New Poster

Tried this didn’t solve the issue, clearly there is a bug
Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats