Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Screen Saver / Tuner Glitch with New X1 Update?

Regular Contributor

Screen Saver / Tuner Glitch with New X1 Update?

Currently running an Arris XG1v3 that's been running fine with no issues.  I noticed on the morning of 5/2 when I turned on my TV that the screen saver was on instead of a live TV channel.  It looks like the box was working, but no tuner was selected at all.  Pressing the enter button just brought up a blank screen like no tuner was engaged.  When I pressed the guide button I had no problem selecting a channel and everything was working fine.  I did check the 'about' in the settings menu and noticed there was a new software running dated 4/30, but I forgot to write down the new version.  Since everything was running fine I though nothing of it.  On Demand DVR recording seem to be fine for the rest of the day.

Jump to this morning 5/3, and the same thing.  It looks like after the overnight reboot my box was defaulted to the screen saver with no tuner engaged.  When I went to the guide it was on the last channel I was watching the night before and I had to select it as it was currently a black screen.  The DVR buffer looks like it was recording live TV, but no tuner was selected when the screen saver was on.  Again, the software update had a 4/30 timestamp.

For the heck of it I unplugged/plugged back in and let the box re-boot.  When everything came back there was no screen saver ... it went right to live TV like it used to.  I check the 'about' and it was now reading v 85.1.1 dated 4/10.  So it seemed to revert to an older software version after rebooting.

Not sure but seems like a newer software version may be getting pushed out overnight?  And there may be a tuner glitch with it that's causing no tuner to load with the update and causing the screen saver to kick in.  Everything seems to work fine once I engage a tuner/channel in the morning but it seems odd to have a screen saver no tuner engaged when I 1st turn things on.

I know how to access my box diagnostics and all my singal levels are fine ... only running the 1 X1 box with no satellites.  This just started on 5/2 with whatever that 4/30 dated update was.  And as mentioned when I power cycled it reverted back to the 4/10 dated update.

Anyone else seeing a new update pushed out in the past few days with any issues?  I set a dummy recording on my DVR for early tommorow morning as I'm curious to see if my DVR will record anything after the box reboots and before I manually engage a tuner.

EDIT: Adding ... just wanted to add that it almost seems like a menu or something similar is engaging overnight that could be triggering the screen saver?  Again, this only seemed to start with whatever this 4/30 update was

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: Screen Saver / Tuner Glitch with New X1 Update?

Hello All, 

@Rustyben is correct. The issues you're having is part of a national issue we are currently investigating. Our engineering team is aware and in the process of fixing this. Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA. Thank you for your patience while we work to get this resolved. 

All Replies
Expert

I checked one of my X1 DVR's and it has 85.1.1 4/10/18.  It did not exhibit this behavior when I turned it on.

There is probably a difference in your Settings from mine.

Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

I checked one of my X1 DVR's and it has 85.1.1 4/10/18.  It did not exhibit this behavior when I turned it on.

There is probably a difference in your Settings from mine.

Both mornings I've seen this happen I actually had a newer software dated from 4/30/18 ... I forgot to write down the software version but it wasn't 85.1.1.  When I power cycled my x1 box it reverted back to 85.1.1 from 4/10.  I didn't see this issue until the 4/30 update.

I'll check my X1 box tommorow morning to see if it picks up the 4/30 update again and remember to write down the new version #

Regular Visitor

Same thing happened here the past two mornings.  

Regular Visitor

X1 DVR system Screensaver Issue

Since switching to the X1 system, one of my cableboxes (and only one) goes into screensaver mode all by itself. I've already gone into settings and changed to 5 hours, which is the longest setting, but it ultimately goes into screensaver mode anyway.

I use this particular box throughout any given 24 hour period to record shows on an old analog DVR for my wife. The screensaver comes on and it prevents us from recording the programs themselves, but rather just hours of screensaver.

This is ridiculous not to have an option to turn it off. 

Can someone assist?

Thanks

Expert

Re: X1 DVR system Screensaver Issue

@gdawg09 wrote:

Since switching to the X1 system, one of my cableboxes (and only one) goes into screensaver mode all by itself. I've already gone into settings and changed to 5 hours, which is the longest setting, but it ultimately goes into screensaver mode anyway.

I use this particular box throughout any given 24 hour period to record shows on an old analog DVR for my wife. The screensaver comes on and it prevents us from recording the programs themselves, but rather just hours of screensaver.

This is ridiculous not to have an option to turn it off. 

Can someone assist?

Thanks

normally the screen saver should not begin working unless there is a menu element (like the guide) that is on the screen for an extended time. a moving image (tv show for example) should not let the xfinity screen saver. Could it actually be the TV's screen saver? 

Frequent Visitor

I've had the same issue you described on both of our X1 connected TV's for the last several mornings. I just looked at my current revision is 8602 05/03/2018

Regular Contributor

Power Preferences - When did that change?

Power Preferences ... What's going on?

Regular Contributor

Yes ... my issue did start with with v86 software update, and it's still been happening every morning.  I also checked with a neighbor and he's been seeing the same thing with his Arris X1 box.  Sysetm Refresh doesn't seem to fix anything.  So far the DVR stil records fine between the overnight reset and when I turn my TV on in the morning.  Everything else seems to be working fine as well.  Just seems that the X1 box doesn't switch to a live TV turner after the overnight reboot ... maybe it's by design with the new update?

Regular Contributor

Re: Power Preferences - When did that change?

my "Power Preferences" used to have a selection for hours ... i.e 0,1,2,4 or 8 ... Those options are no longer there .....

Valued Contributor

Re: Power Preferences - When did that change?

Yep, they changed them, I noticed it yesterday as I have always powered off the boxes.  I am not sure what default time they are now using but I bet if you don't turn them off they will stay on.  I am doing some testing.   You are also correct in there was not any notice of this change, but that is nothing new with comcast.  Very few notices go out when they are making changes.  It just creates more calls and entries in the forums.

New Poster

television timer used screen saver appears

I am using the Xfinity X1 platform.

I like to use the timer function on my television to turn it on in the morning.  I have noticed recently that when the televison turns on in the morning it is showing the screen saver, not the channel the box has been  tuned to.  This started  a  few weeks ago.  Any suggestions so the tv will be showing the  channel the Xfinity X1 box is tuned to?

thank you,

Glen

Expert

This issue is under review by the engineers at the moment. look in this thread for updates.

Regular Contributor

Re: television timer used screen saver appears

You're not the only one.  Please check out the following thread:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Screen-Saver-Tuner-Glitch-with-New-X1-Update/td-p/3086654

It may have started with a recent X1 sofware update and it sounds like the Comcast engineers will be looking into it.

Official Employee

Hello All, 

@Rustyben is correct. The issues you're having is part of a national issue we are currently investigating. Our engineering team is aware and in the process of fixing this. Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA. Thank you for your patience while we work to get this resolved. 

Regular Contributor

Understood ... so far there doesn't seem to be any major side-effects so not a huge deal right now (at least for me).  Thanks again for the quick replies

Official Employee

You're welcome! My account is affected by this as well and haven't noticed any major concerns related to it, but my fingers are crossed 🤞 and I believe this should be resolved soon. If you need us for anything else, let us know! 

Official Employee

Great news everyone, I just received an update that there will be a new firmware update pushed tonight that should fix this issue. If you are still experiencing issues after the boxes are updated, please reach out and let me know! 

Regular Contributor

Glad! Came here tonight to look into that. It stinks. 

Official Employee

I understand @Tek. Please let me know if you still notice this after the update is pushed later tonight. 

Regular Contributor

Update wasn't pushed out yet to my area.  Still on the 86.0.2 version dated 5/3 and still had the screen saver on this morning

Expert

@ComcastChe wrote:

I understand @Tek. Please let me know if you still notice this after the update is pushed later tonight. 

no new firmware overnight. same problem this morning and no buffer when it starts up and 'retunes' to same channel it was on before reboot.

Frequent Visitor

I did not receive an update last night. Still on 8602 05/032018. No change in morning startup. Still seeing the xfinity screen savor. Have to push "Exit" twice to see desired programing.

Contributor

Re: Screen Saver Keeps Returning/ New X1 Update The Problem?

Xfinity X1 my secondary X1 box keeps starting the screensaver. I have the screensaver set to 5 hours. This tv is on most of the time to LIVE programs - set to Fox News Channel so it does not go to a channel that stops movement...I am not always IN the room... but I think, for some reason it does it after an update. this just started happening  about 2 weeks..now more often, every day. My main TV works fine and does not go to the screensaver. I have tried  restart from the remote and in apps.. nothing is helping... Anyone have any other suggestions ?

* I see that from ComcastChe below... this is probably a glitch in the update.. any time  info when this will be
fixed ?

Thanks...........

Regular Contributor

Still not working today... 

New Poster

Screensaver shows when turning on the TV

This just started this week 5-7-18... In the morning when I turn on my TV, I only see the screensaver-and no sound. I have to hit exit to get the channel to come on. Its like a hotel tv... you get Comcast messaging first.

The issue is that I use my TV as an alarm clock in the am. My TV is scheduled to come on at a certain time, and now it doesn’t have sound to wake me up. I ended up late for work twice already😕. This isnt (or wasn’t) tied to the previous screensaver delay setting, because the TV turned off at night before the timer would trigger that screensaver to come on... so this is new. Oh joy. I need the ability to stop this from happening...is that possible to change back to the way it was??
Official Employee

Re: Screensaver shows when turning on the TV

Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue as the previous poster. I also use my tv as an alarm clock, in the morning when the tv comes on the screensaver is already active. It has happened every morning this week, i have verified that there are no menus on screen when turning off the tv. Any way they can rush that update through to resolve this problem. For what i am paying for the service i shouldn't have to deal with this.

Valued Contributor

Yep, from what I can see comcast made a change this week to the power down and screen saver software.  STB's do not seem to shut off now unless you go in and turn the boxes off manually.  After 5 hours with no activity to the STB then the screen save mode trips in.  At least this is what I have seen.  I spent 4 hours on the phone with Tier 1, 2, and 3 yesterday because of the issue with the change made that took place with the power down option feature.  The interesting thing was NOT ONE OF TIERS OF SUPPORT that I was talking with were aware of the changes that took place in the firmware this week.   I found that very interesting, but am not surprised.  Also there had not been any notification to the customers that these changes were taking place.  Once again comcast shows the lack of customer focus as well as their lack of communications within their own support organizations.

Frequent Visitor

— Screensaver Turns On Everyday Fiasco —

PRIORITY:HIGH
To Whom It May Concern.

I turn the TV off at night. I have a VCR set to record the news that evening at 6:30PM to 7:00PM.

I come home and turn on the TV/VCR and the Screensaver is usually on UNLESS I HAPPEN TO TICK THE "EXIT" BUTTON ON THE REMOTE! —I'll end up recording the Screen Saver from 6:30PM to 7:00PM and NOT the channel or program I had it set to. This means I'd have to turn on the TV everyday prior to the record time in order NOT to record the Screensaver. This is just happening about a week ago.

The Screen Saver is set to (5) five hours and always has been. 

A Comcast tech via phone call "reset/refreshed" the system and it did not solve the problem. 

I'd like to ask COMCAST is this a  known "Bug" or part of a failed software platform that they never have truly addressed?!?

Thank you COMCAST in advance for your Care, Cooperation and Attention to this matter that has plagued perhaps millions of paying customers for years...

Respectfully, Dinoboom

Expert
Frequent Visitor

Re: — Screensaver Turns On Everyday Fiasco —

Thank GOD! 
When?

Frequent Visitor

Screen saver turns on during live TV and stops the signal?

This seems to be similar to the issue found here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/TV-Screen-goes-to-the-Screen-Saver-for-no-reason/td-p/2930527

About amonth ago I started noticing that live TV would show the screen saver after some time without using the remote. But audio and the stream would remain so I would click a button on the remote and rewind a little if necessary and everything would be good.

However, this week the problem has gotten much worse because when the screen saver turns on, the voume turns off and when I click a button it goes to live with the dots like changing channels and then I no longer have the options to rewind. 

It appears that the DVR reciver goes into power saving mode during live TV and I loose whater I may have been watching at the time.

As suggested in the ther post, I have tried restarting the reciver, pulling power for a few minutes and doing a system refresh wihotut success.

I have changed the screensaver settings from 5 minute to 5 hours and it still turns on.

In the power settings I have power mangament dissabled, but it still does not help.

The screen saver does not turn on when watching a recorded show, but once I finish the recording I do not have any of the live TV from the last channel I was on just like after the screen saver turn on, so I cannot rewind the live TV.

This has become very problematic as I cannot watch anything live for a good amount of time without a recording.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Screen saver turns on during live TV and stops the signal?

This also seems to be the same issue as posted here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Screensaver-shows-when-turning-on-the-TV/m-p/3089748#M149290, but it my case turning on the TV or keeping the TV on does not prevent the problem.

Frequent Visitor

I still have the same problems in Chicago.

Expert

@mikebox121 wrote:

I still have the same problems in Chicago.

my version is still the new one but the problem ended on xg1 and xg2. be sure to check device settings, power to be sure power saver new menu line is 'off'

Regular Contributor

Still no fix here. Same 5/3 version on my box with the issue. Happens on XG2 and XG1v3. 

Regular Contributor

I noticed the same thing starting a few days ago. When I turm on the TV in the morning I noticed there was no buffering of the channel that was on, so I could not jump back and catch the local weather. Today, I turned the TV on with the TV remote and saw that there was a screensaver..

Checking the Preferences, I see there is NO OPTION TO TURN IT OFF!

I see that it is supposed to work only if you leave it on a menu, but how can you let this happen?

Regular Visitor

@jmf1964 wrote:

I'm having the same issue as the previous poster. I also use my tv as an alarm clock, in the morning when the tv comes on the screensaver is already active. It has happened every morning this week, i have verified that there are no menus on screen when turning off the tv. Any way they can rush that update through to resolve this problem. For what i am paying for the service i shouldn't have to deal with this.

The screen saver was on again this morning when i turned on the tv.

I think I have found a work around, the screensaver seems to be activated after the nightly update, I changed the update schedule to a point later in the day. The ss will probably still come on, but later, and should not interfere with the alarm clock function, but i don't know if this will work untill i turn the tv on tomorrow morning.

Go to settings>>preferences>>daily update and chose a different time for the update.

Contributor

ComcastAndrew and Robertwy,

Why do you have a link in your posts that just point back to this thread?  Did you intend them to go somewhere else?

EDIT:  DIsregard.  I see now that mutliple treads have been merged into this one thread, including the ones you guys linked to.  Thanks to all for not jumping down my throat and making me feel like an even bigger fool than I already do.

Frequent Visitor

I saw the same thing many of you did, and I also called support and opened a ticket.  I got an E-mail response which said "Per checking, currently the option we have to when the screen saver will start are 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes or 5 hours. However, rest assured that our Engineers are working on constantly improving the service and add more future features/options.
We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you."

I replied to this with a long, firm, but civil message explaining that this problem has happened before; as long ago as last October (when I first started using xFinity), that it wasn't happening for some time, and started again a few days ago.  I also gave an explanation of why their "screen saver" actually did the exact opposite of what a screen saver was supposed to do, and why it made no sense for there to even be a screen saver: or if they must have one, why it should be possible to turn it off, or at least have the limit be much longer than 5 hours.  I have not received a response to that.

However, this morning I found that the screen saver did not kick in overnight, so perhaps they have made a change.  But the settings still have a maximum limit of 5 hours, which means that the problem really hasn't been fixed, and Comcast hasn't given any sort of proper explanation of why there is this limit, and why they can't (or won't) fix something as simple as this.

So I am going to make a suggestion.  The next time this happens, I suggest you contact the content provider (i.e., the people who run the channel you want to watch), and tell them what Comcast is doing.  Let them know that Comcast is limiting the number of hours you can watch their channel.  Since they can only survive as a business if people watch their content, perhaps they would like to know that Comcast is placing this limit on their viewers; and perhaps Comcast will pay more attention to them if they complain than Comcast pays to us, their paying customers.

At least it's worth a try.

Frequent Visitor

"I think I have found a work around, the screensaver seems to be activated after the nightly update, I changed the update schedule to a point later in the day. The ss will probably still come on, but later, and should not interfere with the alarm clock function, but i don't know if this will work untill i turn the tv on tomorrow morning.

Go to settings>>preferences>>daily update and chose a different time for the update."

I did not take this into consideration when I posted my message saying the screen saver did not come on.

I often change the time the update takes place to different times of the day, depending upon what I plan

on watching, so the update won't interrupt me.  I think I did change the update time yesterday.

I will have to start keeping records of when I change the update time and when the screen saver comes on.

However, I did set the update time yesterday to occur between 10:00 PM and 12:00 PM, and the screen

saver was not running at 5:30 AM.  So it looks like the screen saver did not activate after 5 hours.

Regular Contributor

@Skeetieboo wrote:
This just started this week 5-7-18... In the morning when I turn on my TV, I only see the screensaver-and no sound. I have to hit exit to get the channel to come on. Its like a hotel tv... you get Comcast messaging first.

The issue is that I use my TV as an alarm clock in the am. My TV is scheduled to come on at a certain time, and now it doesn’t have sound to wake me up. I ended up late for work twice already😕. This isnt (or wasn’t) tied to the previous screensaver delay setting, because the TV turned off at night before the timer would trigger that screensaver to come on... so this is new. Oh joy. I need the ability to stop this from happening...is that possible to change back to the way it was??

Same problem here. I don't use the alarm clock thing. but when I turn on my tv in the morning the screensaver is on. Been happening for a few days now. Not the worst thing in the world but somewhat annoying. Just hit the exit button and it goes away but the first time or two I would just turn on the tv and walk away and not hear anything and it surprised me

New Poster

Still have this problem here in Seattle.  Additionally, after the early morning reboot, scheduled DVR recordings are missed.  This is completely unacceptable.

I just got this new X1 DVR with the new updated remote two days ago.  My older X1 DVR was only a year old, but had to give it up because I switched accounts.

This morning, I got the screen saver.  Got out of the screen saver into a black screen.  I had to physically turn the box off and on again to get out of the black screen.  It then went to section to pair my remote (which was already paired)

I don't know what the problem is, but this is a DVR freshly manufactured in Pittsburg less than four weeks ago.

Something is really messed up here and the techs over the phone are worthless.

New Poster

Screensaver Coming on Overnight

The screensaver started coming on after TV has been off overnight. I have had this X1 box for about a week or two and it never did this during that time.. When I would turn the TV on after being gone all day or overnight it would just go to channel it had been on previously.

This is odd and I am wondering why it is doing this. I do not have the menu guide on and do not have on demand on when I turn off the tv. It is on a channel.

Actually for 2 days it seemed to have resolved but today it is back again. Not something that is a big deal but it is annoying.

Everything is new as an electrical issue in the area totally fried my system. I have a new modem and a new Comcast X1 box and have been happy with everything except this new issue.

Any suggestions?

New Poster

I just saw this thread after I posted my issue with the screensaver. I am still having this issue in Western PA. It is annoying.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, after one good night which must have been a glitch, the screen saver is back in a worse form. After getting out of the screen saver the screen is black.

I think it's time to escalate this problem to the content providers, to Comcast upper management, and to the various government agencies that regulate cable TV.  If any of you  live in a community that has an oversight committee now is the time to talk to them.

Frequent Visitor

The problem is worse than I thought.  I just reviewed a recorded program I had set up and the screen saver came on in less than the 5 hours the receiver was set for.

Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same problem. When I turn it on in the morning, it shows the screen saver. It used to be on the channel it was on when I shut down the night before. Irritating.

Frequent Visitor

ComcastChe....as of this morning, 5/14, the screen saver problem is still occuring. At least for me it is.