Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

STB says feature not available

Valued Contributor

STB says feature not available

This morning I went to use the rewind button and a message popped up saying "feature not available in this STB".  Funny thing was it was available last night.  did some checking and the pause feature gave the same message.  Unplugged STB wait 20sec, plugged back in wait 10 minutes for the reload.  Tried doing the same things again this time they worked.  

My question is why does this Happen so often?????   I am really getting tired of having to un plug and replug in the STB to get back the features.

BTW I did a check and it did not appear that there was a FW upload to the STB last night.

Accepted Solutions
Valued Contributor

Re: STB says feature not available

Further update.  Got a call from the executive complaint office to state that they found the problem which was an "ingress issue" within the node that I am on.  I asked for further information but the person was not technical and was just reading the data reported by the technincal team.  So far things have been working correctly with the STB boxes.. 

All Replies
Gold Problem Solver

It would help if you told us the model number of your STB..
Valued Contributor

STB model # PX032ANI

Expert

fedup978 wrote:

STB model # PX032ANI 

nearly each firmware update causes similar problems (like the 30 second skip becoming 5 minute skip) until box is rebooted again after the upgrade to firmware. 

Valued Contributor

So if that is true, why isn't a reboot programed into the firmware update so the customer does not have to go through what I had too?  To not do that just creates more calls and/or customer dissatisfaction with comcast products.  I spent many years in the software product areas and I am still amazed at the lack of customer focus within comcast, if what you are saying is true.  Just shaking my head at this. 

Official Employee

That isn't true(rustyben's firmware theory), have you tried re-pairing your remote and see if functions return. As a tech myself, there would be a ton of trouble calls and phone calls made.
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply, I agree if you had to do a reboot each time an FW update took place it would cause lots of calls.  FYIIssue was back this morning, did a reboot of the STB and all functions have returned.  I will try your suggestion the next time before doing a reboot and will let you know.  

Expert

with 3 DVR XG1's and 1 XG2 I know a firmware update is in progress (takes a week to get all 4 done) when an RF paired remote doesn't work in the morning. a quick reboot of the box and the remote works. This isn't new at all. Some report that separately or in addition that the 30 second advance (as opposed to 5 minutes) also operates as 5 minutes until next reboot. 

Valued Contributor

Update:  Yesterday no issue with the features, Today one of the STB's had the issue resync did not do anything had to reboot.  the other STB worked, really strange...  the only consistent thing is the inconsistent nature of the issue.

Valued Contributor

so today I turn on  one of the STB's and TV, says it saved 3 hours of power, that tells me it did an update sometime between 2-4 AM which is what I have all the boxes set for.  This STB gave the error message.   Had to reboot the box to get it to work, paiting the remote did not work.  Went to second STB in another room powered it and the TV up, it reported 20 hours of power save, that told me this box did not get updated in the 2-4 AM time frame last night.  This STB did not report any feature errors.  BTW I did tests on the main DVR box and that unit has never had a problem in the last week with the features.  The more I investigate the issue I think Rustyben might be correct that it has something to do with the update process on these PX032ANI boxes, that started earlier this week for me or my area. Looks like I will have to call the "helpless" center and go through the tightening of all the connections 

Expert

FYI, I have had issues with the power save mode.  I try to turn it off on all my X1 boxes; it doesn't really save much electricity.

Valued Contributor

both STB's (PX032ANI) boxes continue to have the issues.  So far no solution to this problem.  Problem is inconsistent one day both boxes have the issue, sometimes neither box has the problem, other times one does not work and the other one will work.  Again no solution so far.  Each day we wonder what is going to work and what is not. 

Guess this is another issue I will be told to live with.

BTW what is the Ft/Lb spec on the cable connections?  If I am asked to tighten them one more time I am afraid I will rip the connector out of the box.

Gold Problem Solver

Have Comcast send a tech out to investigate. You could have signal related issues.

The only spec I have ever seen for coax cable connections is finger tight.
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply RickGr4, If it was a signal issue I would expect it to impact both the PX032ANI STB's the same way each time.  Not one box one time and not the other or visa versa, If it was both boxes each time I would agree it might be the signal.  Also the main DVR box has yet to have the issue so if it was a signal issue I would expect that box to show the symptoms also once in awhile but it has never had the issue.  I had the techs at my house every week for over a year trying to fix issues and I was told to "live with it".  So I am very afraid of hearing the same thing again from them.  

Gold Problem Solver

Not to disagree with you but it could easily be a signal issue. Why? Because the X1 guide is cloud based. Every single button press on the remote goes back on the cloud. Perfect signals for each box is critical. Also, the technology that X1 boxes use to communicate (MOCA) require clear communication with the DVR.

Are you sure that you have a MOCA filter installed and in the right location?
Valued Contributor

The comcast tech group that was out at my house are the ones that installed the MOCA filter on when I was having issues before.  I have not touched anything since their last visits.  They installed all new(heavy duty) cable from the street to my house, checked all the signals inside the house and they told me that the signal strength was very good.  I had the whole house rewired with new cable prior to all their installation.  So very surprised that it would be signal issues after 10 months.

Gold Problem Solver

As I just posted in another thread, when troubleshooting electronics we cannot use the "it has always worked" or "nothing has changed" line of thinking.

Two examples: roughly six years ago my cable TV started to pixel and my internet speeds became turtle slow. I asked Comcast to send a tech out to investigate and we learned that the kid who moved my yard hit the Comcast box in the yard with the lawn mower so hard that it damaged connections inside the box.

Last summer my internet speeds dropped substantially. I asked Comcast to send a tech out and we found a nearly microscopic piece of rust on the coax cable connection inside the box in the yard. New fitting installed... Internet speeds back to normal.

Things can and do change. Connections change. Things get moved and bumped. We may simply not be aware of it.
Valued Contributor

I fully understand that things can happen to cause issues.  It has been my experience in the short time that I have had comcast at this location I have had far more issues with comcast service then I have had with Verizon FIOS for over 5 years and still going without any issues at other location.  Just saying.  If FIOS was available at this location I would jump on it in a heartbeat.  I expect issues to happen, but when I am experiencing various issues in such a repetitive nature it starts to make one wonder what is going on.  I will end up placing a call for another on-site rep to come out this next week.  

Thanks for you input and suggestions, they have been appreciated.  

Admin1

Hi fedup978 -- I can help with your box issue. RickGr4 is correct about possible signal issues being present. While I agree that generally signal level problem effect your overall service, it is also possible that the outlet your box is connected to could have something wrong with just that outlet. This also may be a situation where the box itself is malfunctioning and would need to be replaced. I can help you get a new box or schedule a tech visit. Please let me know if you'd like either of those options. 

Valued Contributor

As I mentioned in a previous reply it is happening in two different boxes in two different rooms.  

Admin1

You could try exchanging the boxes first to see if new ones have the same issue. I can have those shipped to you or you can pick them up at an XFINITY Store location. Otherwise we'd recommend having a tech visit. 

Valued Contributor

Thanks but I have a call placed into the Tech supervisior in our area as we had a major outage last night in our area and now other issues are coming up with our phone besides the STB box issues.  Did not get any feedback as to what the problem was in our area last night.  Hopefully I will hear from him.

Admin1

Ok. Please let us know the outcome of that call. 

Valued Contributor

Update on STB issue: signals checked out when they were done, told it might be node issues with signals during night time as that was the only time that it would happen after power up in the morning.  would never happen during the day time after any shut down of the STB for 8-10 hours.  As of June 2 no issues with any of the STB's in the house in the last week.  not sure what if anything was found.  BTW no STB's were changed out.

Valued Contributor

Further update.  Got a call from the executive complaint office to state that they found the problem which was an "ingress issue" within the node that I am on.  I asked for further information but the person was not technical and was just reading the data reported by the technincal team.  So far things have been working correctly with the STB boxes.. 

Contributor

fedup978 wrote:

Late to the party because I'm not frequently on the forums unless I have an issue I'm looking for help with but I experienced the same issue that you describe a few months ago with a couple of my PX032ANI or XiD-P boxes (don't remember at this point). For a couple of days, I received messages on those boxes that pausing or rewinding wasn't a feature. After a couple of days, I ended up both chatting with a couple of different techs on phone to try and resolve the issue and they had me try a variety of the tried and true troubleshooting techniques - unplug, plug in, send refresh signals, etc. Nothing worked to resolve the issue and I decided to leave it alone and go to bed. The next day both boxes were working as designed with pause and rewind functionality. I chalked it up to a miracle and said hallelujah. Haven't had that particular issue since. Good luck with yours.

New Poster

I'm having the same issues. What is the STB? Where/what did you unplug?

Expert

Berniesbay wrote:

STB refers to your X1 set-top-box.  Just pull the power cord and plug it back in.

Expert

Berniesbay wrote:

what is the model number of the set top box? what feature were you attempting to use? the rng150 models don't have voice control nor any internet apps.