New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Remote box oddity

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 1 of 18

I'll state right up front I don't know off hand what my bedroom satellite box is, but my main box is the X1. Starting a couple weeks ago (or thereabouts) the wee black box in the bedroom after having not been watched all day will, for the lack of a better way to describe it, "re-tune" the channel it is on as soon as I press any command button on the remote. This, of course, clears the buffer. This is especially aggravating if the first button I push was to rewind something that was playing. It will go black, reaquire the channel, and merrily continue.  System reboots have been done, although I have not yet power cycled anything.

Anyone know what the deal could be?

17 REPLIES
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 2 of 18
Same exact experience. Another new thing with that box is that audio gets out of sync and drops out every few seconds. A reboot clears the audio issue, no solution for the remote/buffer issue though.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 3 of 18

This box is a Pace PX032ANI, for what that's worth.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 4 of 18

MrScott1 wrote:

I'll state right up front I don't know off hand what my bedroom satellite box is, but my main box is the X1. Starting a couple weeks ago (or thereabouts) the wee black box in the bedroom after having not been watched all day will, for the lack of a better way to describe it, "re-tune" the channel it is on as soon as I press any command button on the remote. This, of course, clears the buffer. This is especially aggravating if the first button I push was to rewind something that was playing. It will go black, reaquire the channel, and merrily continue.  System reboots have been done, although I have not yet power cycled anything.

Anyone know what the deal could be?

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread or via Private Message from a Comcast Official Employee.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 5 of 18

I am experiencing the same exact issue.  It seems to have started over the last couple of weeks.

The TV (satellite X1 in master bedroom) will be happily playing a channel.  If I so much as sneeze at the remote (pause, try to rewind, or, simply, hit the big square grey button in the middle of the remote), the TV "retunes" to the current channel, wiping out the viewed buffer.  It is highly annoying.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 6 of 18

Power cycling did not seem to affect anything.

Posted by
Admin1

Message 7 of 18

Hello All -- I can help with this box issue. While there is not a clear cut explanation as why this occurring, the one thing your accounts all have in common is present signal level issues. With those signal level issues being present what could be happening is a communication issue with your box that's causing it re-tune. The recommendation is to have a tech visit to clear up these signal level issues and see that stops your boxes from re-tuning. I can setup tech visits for each of you and would need to know days/times that work best for each of you. 

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 8 of 18

I JUST had a tech here for "signal issues" where he changed all my connector ends out (which a tech just a few month prior did the exact same thing) This started happening after his visit. Can you be any more specific?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 9 of 18

Further to those thoughts, I have had Comcast out many times this last year. They've reburied the cabel from the pole to my outside box at least 3 times, replaced the line coming down from the pole 4 times, replaced the box on the pole twice, and declared some amplifier up the street as "bad" once. Currently I have 2 loose lines hanging unsecured from the pole in my backyard, just waiting to get caught up with the next careless lawn mowing crewman. The very last time they were out, they put an amplifier in my attic, and redid the cable ends "just in case". I'm getting sick of "signal issues" being blamed for a system that just plain doesn't seem to work very well.

As for the current issue that is the subject of this thread, once you get past the intial re-tune, it works as expected. Wouldn't further "signal issues" render this situation a lot more volatile than this?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 18

MrScott1 wrote:

Further to those thoughts, I have had Comcast out many times this last year. They've reburied the cabel from the pole to my outside box at least 3 times, replaced the line coming down from the pole 4 times, replaced the box on the pole twice, and declared some amplifier up the street as "bad" once. Currently I have 2 loose lines hanging unsecured from the pole in my backyard, just waiting to get caught up with the next careless lawn mowing crewman. The very last time they were out, they put an amplifier in my attic, and redid the cable ends "just in case". I'm getting sick of "signal issues" being blamed for a system that just plain doesn't seem to work very well.

As for the current issue that is the subject of this thread, once you get past the intial re-tune, it works as expected. Wouldn't further "signal issues" render this situation a lot more volatile than this?

Your boxes and (unrelated to X1) are way out spec. Your bedroom box gets its live tv from the XG2 (den).  If that box is struggling to get certain channels, the XiD (bedroom) is going to struggle. It looks like it could be an outside issue but you still need a tech out.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 11 of 18

I have to trust you see things I can't. How do I arrange to get a tech out this time, potentially an experienced one who can look deeper than the last seventeen techs who also proclaimed "signal issues" at various places from my attic to 20 miles up the street that I apparently still have.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 12 of 18

MrScott1 wrote:

I have to trust you see things I can't. How do I arrange to get a tech out this time, potentially an experienced one who can look deeper than the last seventeen techs who also proclaimed "signal issues" at various places from my attic to 20 miles up the street that I apparently still have.

ComcastZach was trying to help you set up an appointment a couple of days ago and a few posts back. He's the quickest way to go.

And you do have access to look up the the stats of the DVR, XG2 and your modem.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 13 of 18

ComcastAndrew wrote:

MrScott1 wrote:

ComcastZach was trying to help you set up an appointment a couple of days ago and a few posts back. He's the quickest way to go.

Thanks, I do appreciate your help, I'm just getting really tired of hearing "signal issues" after having so many visits already. They were supposed to come back the last time and do yet something else to the pole, but judging by the temporary cables just hanging loosely, I'm guessing that never happened. I haven't looked at my modem stats lately, but right after the last visit they couldn't have looked any closer to perfect. I don't know how to access teh X1 stats.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 14 of 18

ComcastAndrew wrote:

MrScott1 wrote:

I've PM'd Zach, should I just be calling the support line?

Posted by
Admin1

Message 15 of 18

MrScott1 -- I have scheduled first available for you. I have sent the appointment time via PM. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 16 of 18

Well, so far the very patient tech has replaced every cable end in the house and the attic, just like the last 3 guys did, and it has changed nothing. Is each and every tech required to change the cable ends every time they come, regardless of how many times before it has been done? This is getting ridiculous.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 17 of 18

For public follow-up, the latest technician from this morning claims it is my Motorola SB6121 internet modem that is causing my X1 issues. Because it is "officially" obsolete, and he was quite convinced this was the issue, I have a SB8200 coming in tomorrow, and we'll see if that changes anything. I have my doubts, but at least this guy didn't insist on merely changing my cable ends for the 3rd time this year.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 18 of 18

New modem changed nothing, other than removing yet one more excuse.