members

online now

discussions

Remote Control

SOLVED
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 401 of 1,025

The voice command "captions" or "turn on/off closed captions" worked until 6/9.  Now it shows the word you speak, but doesn't complete the command by turning the captions on or off.

The loss of voice command captioning needs to be corrected.  This has also happened at neighbors and friends houses, so it isn't my 11 remote, but the system that's gone fugazy.

There was also a change to the "pairing" screen to include TVs and amp controls, BUT, when you enter the first three digit code for Xfin point anywhere feature, it does not show the digits as you enter them, giving the appearance that is isn't taking.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 402 of 1,025

Agreed re: CC.  My XR11 no longer enables/disables close captioning, even though my spoken words "Turn on/off close captioning" appear on the screen.

As long as we're on the subject ... WHEN (not IF Ihope) this is corrected, is there a single word (such as "Captions") that will toggle CC on/off?  Before it stopped working altogether, that is.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 403 of 1,025

The word "captionS" worked (until a few days ago) but "caption" didn't

Spoken "turn on closed captions" also worked but the single word command was a nice quick way to double check a line of missed dialogue.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 404 of 1,025
I programmed my harmony smart remote an hub just fine using iPad SW everything works except power on.

I am having to power on the main x1 DVR with the X1 remote, after that all harmony functions work just fine.

Any ideas?
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 405 of 1,025

What box model number did you enter? Harmony's database likes it when you keep models number simple. I used "Xfinity XG1-A" and the power command there works fine. Usually there is more than one "power" code you can try.

Also, you can always program the Harmony to leave the box on all the time. X1 boxes draw very little power and the difference between on and off is roughly 10%.

Scyto wrote:
I programmed my harmony smart remote an hub just fine using iPad SW everything works except power on.

I am having to power on the main x1 DVR with the X1 remote, after that all harmony functions work just fine.

Any ideas?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 406 of 1,025

RickGr4 wrote:

What box model number did you enter? Harmony's database likes it when you keep models number simple. I used "Xfinity XG1-A" and the power command there works fine. Usually there is more than one "power" code you can try.

Also, you can always program the Harmony to leave the box on all the time. X1 boxes draw very little power and the difference between on and off is roughly 10%.

I just put comcast as manufacturer and X1 as device and it resolved as Comcast DVR
I did find that pressing the power button on the device screen on my ipad worked find, so not sure if this a repeat problem.
Good call on the 'on all the time' - i actually found i had told the harmony that i leave the box on all the time, as such i think it wasn't sending power on at all.  Even though the action says power STB the device setting overridesi think.  That said still powers on infrequently so i may leave on.  I have this issue with my PAce 'daughter boxes' as well as this arris main unit.  I will try the device code above and see if that helps.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 407 of 1,025

Hi, I'm looking to upgrade to X1 and have a qustion on the XR11 remote. 

About the most important feature I can not give up from my old system is the ability to skip forward a set amount like 15 or 30 sec on recorded DVR shows. I also need the ability to skip back similarly. I can do both now and have it set to 15 back and 30 ahead, very convienient.

I believe I have read how this can be down on the newer remotes with the page up/down (but might have to give up the built in 5 min settings?)

My question with the XR11 is can this be done with voice command on DVR recordings? And how does this work? Can you say "Rewind 7 seconds", "Forward 22 seconds", you get the idea.....

Thanks

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 408 of 1,025

The voice control doesn't appear to be that smart. X1 boxes offer either a 30 second skip or a 5 minute skip. It's a setting in the DVR, the remote has nothing to do with it. Unfortunately I could not get my XR11 to control either skip. The remote doesn't to know the word "skip".

However the XR11 does respond to "forward scan", "scan forward" and "play".

It does what you want, you just can't define a time.

jdambus wrote:

About the most important feature I can not give up from my old system is the ability to skip forward a set amount like 15 or 30 sec on recorded DVR shows. I also need the ability to skip back similarly. I can do both now and have it set to 15 back and 30 ahead, very convienient.

I believe I have read how this can be down on the newer remotes with the page up/down (but might have to give up the built in 5 min settings?)

My question with the XR11 is can this be done with voice command on DVR recordings? And how does this work? Can you say "Rewind 7 seconds", "Forward 22 seconds", you get the idea.....

Thanks

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 409 of 1,025

I would highly suggest you do some reading in this forum. For some, X1 is an upgrade. For some, especially those looking for "advanced new features" X1 is not an upgrade. Also, Comcast chose to drop many "old faithful" features from X1.

The strength of X1 is it's DVR capabilties. The voice remote is a plus but I have real issues with it. If you switch to X1 expecting a huge list of new and advanced features, you could be very disappointed.

Do some reading in this forum. Stop at a Comcast location and try out X1 for yourself. But don't jump to X1 thinking it is an automatic upgrade.

jdambus wrote:

Thanks

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 410 of 1,025

Being able to record more than 2 shows at a time and on screen menus that don't look like they were designed in the 90's is an upgrade. Just don't want to lose the skip feature. So the DVR option of 30 sec or 5 min are the only options? And those are used with the page up/down buttons or can you program a different button? And that works for skip ahead and back? Sorry for all the Q's, I'm just not clear on it.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 411 of 1,025

I just watched this promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_VU3o9MeRM He said "Rewind, 5 seconds", then "Play". This is a bit clumsy and it's not a skip, you see it rewinding then pausing. So it looks like you can tell it the amount of time for a rewind command and I assume a forward one also. Can someone that has the XR11 try this out? Thanks

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 412 of 1,025

The only skip options are 30 seconds or 5 minutes. As I said earlier, the remote doesn't respond to the word "skip". Yes they use the page up, page down buttons for skip and no they cannot be relocated.

Saying "rewind 5 seconds" put the DVR in reverse scan. You still need to say "play" to get it back into play. It doesn't stop in five seconds. I would say the promo you saw was an exaggeration.

Seriously, head over to a Comcast store and try all this stuff for yourself.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 413 of 1,025

jdambus wrote:

I just watched this promo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_VU3o9MeRM He said "Rewind, 5 seconds", then "Play". This is a bit clumsy and it's not a skip, you see it rewinding then pausing. So it looks like you can tell it the amount of time for a rewind command and I assume a forward one also. Can someone that has the XR11 try this out? Thanks

using iphone app x1 remote, it does <<4 for 5 minutes. I tried it several ways. Also I note that "last' does not bring up last menu.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 414 of 1,025
Replacement box replacement remote...voice control won't work. Was replaced this afternoon. It did work on my previous remote. Any tips? Yes I have already power cycled. Yes I am holding the button down.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 415 of 1,025
Replacement box replacement remote...voice control won't work. Was replaced this afternoon. It did work on my previous remote. Any tips? Yes I have already power cycled. Yes I am holding the button down.

First tip, if the box is an X1 dvr or an Xi3, did you pair the remote to it. Push setup, press Xfinity button and enter the code on the screen

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 416 of 1,025
That's what I'm talkin abouttttttt!!!! Thanks man!
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 417 of 1,025

Hey Everyone,

I have noticed time and time again the when using the Comcast remote website https://customer.xfinity.com/remotes/ the code list for the XR5 remote appears to be longer and more complete than the current code list for the XR11 voice remote. However I am 98% sure the XR11 will accept any code the XR5 will.

I think it is important that both forum veterans and new users are aware of this and look at the codes for both the XR5 and XR11 remotes when programming them to control their TV's and especially their audio products.

To any new X1 users who may read this, the X1 remotes do not respond to 20000 series codes so their support of audio products (specially soundbars and "home theater in a box" style systems) is very limited. It is very possible there may not be a code that works with many of these types of audio devices.

Also, please don't forget that even though the owners manual does not mention it, the manual code search process works for both XR5 and XR11. It is a tedious process but for some people it may be the last resort to finding a correct code:

1. Turn on your TV and AVR.
2. Press and hold the Setup button on your remote until the status LED changes from red to green.
3. To search for a TV code, enter 9-9-1 on the remote. To search for an AVR code, enter 9-9-2. The status LED should flash green twice.
4. Press the CH ^ button repeatedly to search through the manufacturer codes until the device you are programming turns off.
5. After the device turns off, press Setup. The status LED on your remote should flash green twice. Press the TV Power button on the remote. If the device turns on, you have successfully programmed your remote.

https://www.google.com/search?q=comcast+remote+manual+code+search&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 418 of 1,025

Noted.  Thanks.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 419 of 1,025
If you use the RF pairing process for either the X1 dvr or the Xi3, there are new screens that walk you through setting up codes for both tvs and receivers.

RF pairing= press setup, then press Xfinity then enter the 3 digit code that pops up
If you can't find a code then use the 9-9-1 process

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 420 of 1,025

Andrew,

I have two XR11's that I use with my main X1 DVR/receiver/TV.

One of them works with no problems.

The other one has one issue;  it won't turn off my a/v receiver when I press the Power button.  It WILL turn off my TV.

I am using the same 5-digit code for the receiver when I program the XR11's.

Any idea why?  Maybe I should try to replace it at my Comcast store?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 421 of 1,025

Anyone have the correct code/button sequence for enabling the 30 second skip on the XR11 Voice Remote? PgUp and PgDn do plus/minus 5 minutes...

Thanks!

Posted by
New Poster
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 422 of 1,025

I did the exit button 3 times, then typed 0030.  It is supposed to be for other remotes, but i did it a few times (it did not look like it was going to work at all), but when i recorded something and tried it, it did.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 423 of 1,025

When you press EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030 on the Comcast remote, you are not changing a setting within the remote. You are changing a setting in the DVR itself.

But you are correct. EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030 is the correct sequence.

bouldermo wrote:

I did the exit button 3 times, then typed 0030.  It is supposed to be for other remotes, but i did it a few times (it did not look like it was going to work at all), but when i recorded something and tried it, it did.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 424 of 1,025

This has probably already been discussed somewhere in these forums, but if not:

Problem: After picking up my new VR11 Voice Remote at the XFINITY store this morning (I was allowed to keep the old VR5), I'm not able to connect and operate my old VR5 Remote to the X1 after pairing the new VR11 Voice Remote to the X1 box.

Solution: Apparently when you pair your new VR11 Voice Remote it cancels the pairing of your VR5 remote, so it's necessary after pairing your new Voice Remote to go back and pair your VR5 Remote once again (if you have the luxury of being able to keep both).  Then you can use both Remotes.

When I called Comcast Tech Support to ask for a solution to my quandary, the Tech Support Rep did not know the answer and had to ask within her department, then came back with the above solution.

Gene Smiley Happy

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 425 of 1,025

Hmmmm, this might be a Pace/Arris issue. I have three Arris DVRs and it did not need to do any "repairing" of remotes. In fact not only did my XR5s continue to work after pairing XR11s, my original XR2s continued to work as well.

GeneL wrote:

This has probably already been discussed somewhere in these forums, but if not:

Problem: After picking up my new VR11 Voice Remote at the XFINITY store this morning (I was allowed to keep the old VR5), I'm not able to connect and operate my old VR5 Remote to the X1 after pairing the new VR11 Voice Remote to the X1 box.

Solution: Apparently when you pair your new VR11 Voice Remote it cancels the pairing of your VR5 remote, so it's necessary after pairing your new Voice Remote to go back and pair your VR5 Remote once again (if you have the luxury of being able to keep both).  Then you can use both Remotes.

When I called Comcast Tech Support to ask for a solution to my quandary, the Tech Support Rep did not know the answer and had to ask within her department, then came back with the above solution.

Gene Smiley Happy

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 426 of 1,025

Same here.... I have my Xr11's and my Xr5 and my Xr2's all working at present...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 427 of 1,025

RickGr4 wrote:

Hmmmm, this might be a Pace/Arris issue. I have three Arris DVRs and it did not need to do any "repairing" of remotes. In fact not only did my XR5s continue to work after pairing XR11s, my original XR2s continued to work as well.

I suppose it's possible that during the process of setting up my new VR11 Voice Remote, I somehow inadvertently cancelled the VR5's connection to the X1 thereby necessitating a second pairing of the VR5.  Right now both Remotes are working perfectly so my situation appears to be isolated perhaps to just myself and not something that would affect many new VR11 setups where both Remotes are available.
Gene Smiley Happy

Posted by
New Poster

Message 428 of 1,025

XI Voice remote is paired to Yamaha audio system (as well as the TV) and controls volume but does not control on/off of the Yamaha. Right now I need to use a different remote to put the system on/off. It appears that the pairing is working - in part - or it wouldn't control the voice on the volume on the audio system.

Has anyone experienced anythinh similar?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 429 of 1,025

Start with this thread:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR5-and-XR11-quot-Voice-Remote-quot-Code-Lists/td-p/2550616

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 430 of 1,025

Thanks for the link, but no success. I'm thinking that Comcast just doesn't have appropriate code for my surrand sound yamaha setup.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 431 of 1,025
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 432 of 1,025

If you have tried the XR5 code list and the manual code process process and came up with nothing then there is probably no code.

1. I had a Denon that was about 12 years old. All three Comcast remotes controlled it just fine.

2. I still have a Harmon Kardon receiver that is about eight years old. None of the three Comcast remotes will turn it off.

3. I have a new Marantz receiver (love it). The XR2 will not control it at all. It does not have a code. The XR5 and XR11 control it just fine.

The reason I mention this is the Comcast remotes can really be hit or miss, especially for audio products.

We have been told that Best Buy sells a URC brand universal remote for about $15 that works well with X1 boxes...

Sbernknopf wrote:

Thanks for the link, but no success. I'm thinking that Comcast just doesn't have appropriate code for my surrand sound yamaha setup.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 433 of 1,025

I have paired the XR11 voice remote with the cablre box, a Samsung TV and a Denon AV recvr.  However, despite Comcast's comment to the contrary, my new remote unpairs to the TV as soon as I pait it to the AV recr.  The opposite happens if I pair to the AV first, then pairing to the TV unpairs the Denon AV.  After two hoours on the phone with Level 1 and Level 2, they tell me I cannot pair with two devices.  Comcast's web pages say differently. 

It would really be a help if the Comcast product Mgr for the XR11 voice remote or her/his direct report would provide some instructions on resolving this.  BTW, the prior Comcast remor (XR2?)  paired to both beautiful\ly.  Thx very mush!

Dave

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 434 of 1,025

Or you could try walking in to a Comcast location and have them GIVE you a new XR11 remote. Based on the information you provided, it sounds like your particular XR11 may not be working properly...

k1nyk wrote:

I have paired the XR11 voice remote with the cablre box, a Samsung TV and a Denon AV recvr.  However, despite Comcast's comment to the contrary, my new remote unpairs to the TV as soon as I pait it to the AV recr.  The opposite happens if I pair to the AV first, then pairing to the TV unpairs the Denon AV.  After two hoours on the phone with Level 1 and Level 2, they tell me I cannot pair with two devices.  Comcast's web pages say differently. 

It would really be a help if the Comcast product Mgr for the XR11 voice remote or her/his direct report would provide some instructions on resolving this.  BTW, the prior Comcast remor (XR2?)  paired to both beautiful\ly.  Thx very mush!

Dave

k1nyk wrote:

Dave

Posted by
New Poster

Message 435 of 1,025

I recently switched to Xfinity from another provider and was an avid user of the 30 second skip button on their remotes. I know the receiver will Fast Forward a few minutes I believe by pushing the page up button on the XR11 remote but to me that's useless. I did some searching online and found that some of their older XR11 remotes could be programmed to change that to 30 seconds instead (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-program-a-30-second-skip-button-for-xfinity-x1/) but those programming instructions didn't work on the XR11.

Does anyone know how to program this XR11 Voice Remote to skip 30 seconds?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 436 of 1,025

You are not changing the programming of the remote. You are changing the settings in the X1 box.

Point the Comcast remote at the X1 box. Press EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030.

Page + and Page - on the remote are your skip buttons...

jwayner87 wrote:

I recently switched to Xfinity from another provider and was an avid user of the 30 second skip button on their remotes. I know the receiver will Fast Forward a few minutes I believe by pushing the page up button on the XR11 remote but to me that's useless. I did some searching online and found that some of their older XR11 remotes could be programmed to change that to 30 seconds instead (http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-program-a-30-second-skip-button-for-xfinity-x1/) but those programming instructions didn't work on the XR11.

Does anyone know how to program this XR11 Voice Remote to skip 30 seconds?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 437 of 1,025

k1nyk wrote:

Dave

You have to pair them in the correct order; receiver then TV.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 438 of 1,025

Robert....

It's TV first then AV receiver....

RobertWy wrote:

k1nyk wrote:

Dave

You have to pair them in the correct order; receiver then TV.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 439 of 1,025

Another oops.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 440 of 1,025

You are entitled to an opps once in a while my friend...

RobertWy wrote:

Another oops.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 441 of 1,025

Actually, it didn't work in either order (TV vs Av of vv).  Whichever is paired second un-pairs the one done first.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 442 of 1,025

I assume that if you pair only the TV, the remote controls the TV only - volume, mute, power?

And if you pair the remote to the Denon, the remote can control all of the above for the Denon?

Here is another resource:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-remote-control-an-audio-device

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 443 of 1,025

Robert, when the Denon is paired, the voice remote controls the volume but not the TV power.  The old remote would turn TV and Denon on/off, control vol & mute thru Denon and the channel thru the Samsung TV.  Pairing voice remote with TV did TV pwr, channel & vol (altho TV vol's was set to nil.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 444 of 1,025

Please provide the exact model numbers of your Samsung and Denon. Also, please provide the code numbers you have tried and which codes you are currently using.

k1nyk wrote:

Robert, when the Denon is paired, the voice remote controls the volume but not the TV power.  The old remote would turn TV and Denon on/off, control vol & mute thru Denon and the channel thru the Samsung TV.  Pairing voice remote with TV did TV pwr, channel & vol (altho TV vol's was set to nil.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 445 of 1,025

Here's the info, Rick:

Samsung TV: Model UN32EH4003FXZA (Version EH01),  Code: 10812

Denon AVR: Model AVR-2112CI, Code 31360.

Thx,
Dave

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 446 of 1,025

Remember, program the TV first then the receiver.

Did you try 31961 and 31104 for the Denon??? Also try 30189 and 31972.

31972 worked for my Marantz. Denon and Marantz are now owned by the same company and could be built in the same place.

k1nyk wrote:

Here's the info, Rick:

Samsung TV: Model UN32EH4003FXZA (Version EH01),  Code: 10812

Denon AVR: Model AVR-2112CI, Code 31360.

Thx,
Dave

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 447 of 1,025
In the past, when I returned or swapped "standard" xfinity hardware at my local office, the rep always told me to "keep the remote as a spare." I received a remote with the new HW I was picking up.

What is Comcast's policy with X1 remotes? Tnx.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 448 of 1,025

I have no idea what the policy is or even if there is one. However I have never been asked to return or give back a remote.

lawnguru wrote:
In the past, when I returned or swapped "standard" xfinity hardware at my local office, the rep always told me to "keep the remote as a spare." I received a remote with the new HW I was picking up.

Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 449 of 1,025

lawnguru wrote:

I just visited my local office last Wednesday - walked away with a handful of voice remotes - I asked if they wanted the old remotes and was told "it's up to you, we just recycle them anyway."

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 450 of 1,025

Well, I did get it to work using the codes that worked before with the old remote.  But the difference was after it suggested the Samsung code, I held the setup button for 3 secs and enetered the code I knew worked.  Clicked on It Worked and did the same procedure with the Denon audio receiver.  Now the voice remote turns on both TV and Denon, controls volume/mute via Denon and channel via TV.  Thx for the support.