Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Remote Control

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 351 of 1,022 (6,972 Views)

Can't program secondary remotes

I recently upgraded to the X1 system and the primary TV setup (Sharp Aquos 70") went smoothly. I could not program the remote for the other 3 TVs we have (another Sharp Aquos 60", Vizio 42" non-smart TV and Vizio 42" smart TV). When I try to program the remotes by pressing and holding Setup button until light turns green and then pressing the Xfinity button, the 3 boxes that are supposed to come up don't. Instead I get help videos. The 60" Sharp has a tuner and surround speakers attached. I can turn on and off everything with the remote but I can't control the TV settings at all. I have to use the actual TV remote to do that. Why won't this work with my other TVs? The remotes are the XR5 models.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 352 of 1,022 (6,977 Views)

Re: Can't program secondary remotes

cgacfox wrote:

I recently upgraded to the X1 system and the primary TV setup (Sharp Aquos 70") went smoothly. I could not program the remote for the other 3 TVs we have (another Sharp Aquos 60", Vizio 42" non-smart TV and Vizio 42" smart TV). When I try to program the remotes by pressing and holding Setup button until light turns green and then pressing the Xfinity button, the 3 boxes that are supposed to come up don't. Instead I get help videos. The 60" Sharp has a tuner and surround speakers attached. I can turn on and off everything with the remote but I can't control the TV settings at all. I have to use the actual TV remote to do that. Why won't this work with my other TVs? The remotes are the XR5 models.

You didn't say what X1 boxes you have.  You can't pair Companions.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 353 of 1,022 (6,966 Views)

Cgacfox, go here for what you need

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/XR8-Adaptors/m-p/2490134

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 354 of 1,022 (6,936 Views)

I just discovered a new issue with my XR5v3. The remote now doesn't illuminate until I activate a button. It used to be that it would illuminate as soon as I picked it up. I also have an XR5v4 which does illuminate when picked up, but some of the buttons are finnicky on it. I recently had to replace the batteries in my v3 so I wonder if that had an effect on the settings of the remote lights. Is there any way to adjust it?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 355 of 1,022 (4,280 Views)

Re: X1 Remote and IR / Harmony Remote.

Rick, the "three finger salute" you describe here seems like something that ought to work, but there appears to be some complications, possibly with newer firmware updates on the X1.

Out of the box, the X1 remote page up does the skip forward. That's good. After programming my Harmony 700 as XG1-P, it too had a mapping for the "skip forward" key to the X1 skip forward command. But it doesn't work. I ran across your comment here, but found that the visual response on the TV after hitting EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030 is that the X1 ends up in search mode for 0030. This is true whether using the X1 remote or the harmony 700.

So perhaps comcast enables the forward skip by default, but perhaps it only works for RF, not IR? Maybe there is a different three finger salute to enable it for IR. Any ideas?

The firmware appears to be xappl XRE50P5.

Posted by
Edited on
‎03-15-2015 03:20 PM

Silver Problem Solver

Message 356 of 1,022 (4,274 Views)

[ Edited ]

Program the PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN buttons to your Harmony's forward skip and reverse skip buttons. Then you will have your skip and scan functions right next to each other on the Harmony. It works perfectly.

In regards to programming the 30 second skip, you need to point the Comcast remote at the box, press EXIT EXIT EXIT very deliberately (not too fast, not too slow) and I seem to recall having to press enter for some reason. It can be tedious but it does work.

toddInPortland wrote:

Rick, the "three finger salute" you describe here seems like something that ought to work, but there appears to be some complications, possibly with newer firmware updates on the X1.

Out of the box, the X1 remote page up does the skip forward. That's good. After programming my Harmony 700 as XG1-P, it too had a mapping for the "skip forward" key to the X1 skip forward command. But it doesn't work. I ran across your comment here, but found that the visual response on the TV after hitting EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030 is that the X1 ends up in search mode for 0030. This is true whether using the X1 remote or the harmony 700.

So perhaps comcast enables the forward skip by default, but perhaps it only works for RF, not IR? Maybe there is a different three finger salute to enable it for IR. Any ideas?

The firmware appears to be xappl XRE50P5.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 357 of 1,022 (4,274 Views)

This is about "closed cabinet" control using a Harmony 700 IR remote.

I have a few devices inside a cabinet, including:

• Roku 2
  • LG DVD
  • DirectTv Genie (soon to be cancelled)
  • Comcast X1 (new as of yesterday)
  • Onkyo TR-SR606 receiver

The cabinet is a custom kitchen-type of cabinet that came with the house which I have modified to have full extension platforms to support the components. The TV is directly above the cabinet. I have an IR repeater inside the cabinet so the doors can remain closed. The harmony 700 controls everything, but is persnickety about both the X1 and the DirecTV Genie. The Roku 2, Onko and LG dvd respond perfectly.

The doors for the portion holding the components has about a 1/4" gap between the doors. And when the IR receiver is placed just under the lip of the cabinet top and directly above the doors with the components, I have to point the IR remote at the floor, ceiling or to the left or right for the X1 and the genie to respond. If I move the IR receiver to the left about 4 feet, I get much better response, but not as good at the X1 remote. If I cover the front of the cabinet with a towel and move the receiver back to just under the TV, the response is also better, but still lacking.

My guess is that the IR receiver has a delay such that the IR pulses form the remote and the IR emitters are not aligned, and because of the gap between the doors, there is IR leakage into the cabinet from the remote.  So when the remote is pointed at the cabinet, the IR signal seen by the X1 and the Genie is something like the sound in a conference call when there is an extra open mic: echo.

I currently have 6 emitters in front of the X1 and the Genie (increasing IR strength), which seems to help, but seems excessive. The towel improves think a lot, but my wife may take an ax to the media cabinet the towel is still there when I go to work on Monday. There are probably solutions, but all have their drawbacks:

1. Add some sort of weather striping to the cabinet doors to achieve an IR seal like the towel.  This could turn out to be unreliable.
  2. Switch to an RF remote. Logitech only makes one, and it looks much less usable than the Harmony 700.
  3. Use an RF battery substitute to achieve RF transmission.  This could be expensive, and the RF protocol may not match the IR protocol.
  4. Put the X1 outside the cabinet. Yuck.

Any suggestions or althernate routes?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 358 of 1,022 (4,273 Views)

RickGr4 wrote:

Program the PAGE UP and PAGE DOWN buttons to your Harmony's forward skip and reverse skip buttons.

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.  The harmony remote already has both backward and forward skip programmed. The backward skip works.

RickGr4 wrote:
In regards to programming the 30 second skip, you need to point the Comcast remote at the box, press EXIT EXIT EXIT very deliberately (not too slow, not too slow) and I seem to recall having to press enter for some reason. It can be tedious but it does work.

Well, I'm sure you're right, but its not working. I've tried pressing exit at rates varying from about 100ms to 500ms, interleaving 'ok', doing it during live play, or dvr playback, etc. I always end up in "search" for "0030". Any other ideas?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 359 of 1,022 (4,266 Views)

Please explain in detail your IR repeater system.

toddInPortland wrote:

This is about "closed cabinet" control using a Harmony 700 IR remote.

I have a few devices inside a cabinet, including:

• Roku 2
  • LG DVD
  • DirectTv Genie (soon to be cancelled)
  • Comcast X1 (new as of yesterday)
  • Onkyo TR-SR606 receiver

The cabinet is a custom kitchen-type of cabinet that came with the house which I have modified to have full extension platforms to support the components. The TV is directly above the cabinet. I have an IR repeater inside the cabinet so the doors can remain closed. The harmony 700 controls everything, but is persnickety about both the X1 and the DirecTV Genie. The Roku 2, Onko and LG dvd respond perfectly.

The doors for the portion holding the components has about a 1/4" gap between the doors. And when the IR receiver is placed just under the lip of the cabinet top and directly above the doors with the components, I have to point the IR remote at the floor, ceiling or to the left or right for the X1 and the genie to respond. If I move the IR receiver to the left about 4 feet, I get much better response, but not as good at the X1 remote. If I cover the front of the cabinet with a towel and move the receiver back to just under the TV, the response is also better, but still lacking.

My guess is that the IR receiver has a delay such that the IR pulses form the remote and the IR emitters are not aligned, and because of the gap between the doors, there is IR leakage into the cabinet from the remote.  So when the remote is pointed at the cabinet, the IR signal seen by the X1 and the Genie is something like the sound in a conference call when there is an extra open mic: echo.

I currently have 6 emitters in front of the X1 and the Genie (increasing IR strength), which seems to help, but seems excessive. The towel improves think a lot, but my wife may take an ax to the media cabinet the towel is still there when I go to work on Monday. There are probably solutions, but all have their drawbacks:

1. Add some sort of weather striping to the cabinet doors to achieve an IR seal like the towel.  This could turn out to be unreliable.
  2. Switch to an RF remote. Logitech only makes one, and it looks much less usable than the Harmony 700.
  3. Use an RF battery substitute to achieve RF transmission.  This could be expensive, and the RF protocol may not match the IR protocol.
  4. Put the X1 outside the cabinet. Yuck.

Any suggestions or althernate routes?

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 360 of 1,022 (4,265 Views)

Not sure what to say Todd. I have never had a problem making this work...

Please remember when it comes to the forward skip on the X1 boxes it's either 30 seconds or 5 minutes. There is no discrete IR command. It's one forward skip or the other no matter which remote you are using.

In regards to X1 remotes, the PAGE UP command is the "forward skip" command.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 361 of 1,022 (4,246 Views)

Try a Universal remote control (URC) MX 450+ MRF260 flawless.  You may want to reposition the ir emitters with the Harmony remote and remove all but one of the emitters as that could cause a delayed signal read between emitters and complicate the communication of code.  Placement of the emitter is very sensitive must be right on the ir receiver of the cable box.  The X1 system is very slow and inconsistant compared to other remotes, feels different, press keys more slowly as number or commands have a delayed reaction comparitively.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 362 of 1,022 (6,598 Views)

Re: Remote Control

RobertWy wrote:

Just an FYI:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/products/xr11

Looks like the XR11 voice-activated remote control is close to being officially released, given that some X1 platform subscribers have now received this pre-release offer:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29948702-Comcast-Equip-A-little-something-for-being-a-great-custome...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 363 of 1,022 (6,578 Views)

telcodad wrote:

Looks like the XR11 voice-activated remote control is close to being officially released, given that some X1 platform subscribers have now received this pre-release offer:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29948702-Comcast-Equip-A-little-something-for-being-a-great-custome...

There's an article on the Multichannel News site about this now:

Comcast Promo Talks Up Voice Remote For X1
Offers Some Subs Access Prior To Official Launch Of ‘XR11’
By Jeff Baumgartner, Multichannel News - March 25, 2015

http://www.multichannel.com/news/technology/comcast-promo-talks-voice-remote-x1/389168

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 364 of 1,022 (6,551 Views)

Just got a RNG150N and a Xr5 v4 remote. Unable to pair it for aim anywhere or to my TV. When I hold set up only the help menu comes up. I have a Xr2 remote from an HD DTA and it does the same thing. I saw earlier in the thread to hold power and reboot the box but that did not work. Any suggestions?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 365 of 1,022 (6,550 Views)

You can't pair a remote to the RNG150 without an XR8 receiver.  Ask for one here:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/XR8-Adaptors/td-p/2470728/page/2

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 366 of 1,022 (6,516 Views)

Re: Remote Control hate it will stomp on it!

Can not remeber a time I hated a devise so much ...well okay when I had att phone service (look what happened to them) This remote is JUNK very not user friendly buttons all bunched in can't feel the up or down like on the old day's. The $27 bucks for the backlite one better be worth it.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 367 of 1,022 (6,494 Views)

Re: Remote Control hate it will stomp on it!

epleschakow wrote:

Can not remeber a time I hated a devise so much ...well okay when I had att phone service (look what happened to them) This remote is JUNK very not user friendly buttons all bunched in can't feel the up or down like on the old day's. The $27 bucks for the backlite one better be worth it.

I found one on ebay for less:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-Xfinity-Comcast-XR5-Backlight-Remote-Control-V4-X1-Platform-HD-DVR-N...

$7.98

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 368 of 1,022 (6,471 Views)

I have recently upgraded to X1 - I just have the remote and the X1 box - no DVR

Some times (once or twice over 2-4 hour period) the remote acts like there is a stuck button - the arrow keys, channel up, page up, even entering a digit can stick.  I have to press another button to "unstick" it.  I had the same thing occur on my harmony remote as well. 

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 369 of 1,022 (22,416 Views)

I have now had the XR5 remotes for a few weeks, and just received a test version of the XR11 voice remote.  Very pleased with them over the XR2 remotes, especially with the ability to control both the TV and A/V receiver power and the A/V receiver volume and mute from one remote.  Also, the voice control is very good, and I find that I use it more than I thought I would.

There's only one function missing that would make it perfect.  A system with an A/V receiver should use the A/V receiver as the input hub, and have a single HDMI connection from the receiver to the TV to output Video (and input audio from the TV in the case of a Smart TV). Currently, the XR5 and XR11 will control the TV input if programmed for a TV and A/V receiver.  However, having it control the A/V receiver input would be much more useful.  If the remote would use the input code for the first (or last) device programmed into the remote, instead of just supporting the TV, that would make it cover both TV-hub and Receiver-hub deployment scenarios.  The XR11 remote supports firmware upgrades, so in theory this could be implemented via a software update.  Not sure if the XR5 had the same capability.

Am I the only one who thinks this would be useful?  It still doesn't completely eliminate the need for a universal remote, but it does cover enough basic functions to allow me to use one remote for most basic use cases.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 370 of 1,022 (22,401 Views)

I don't understand what you say.  My a/v receiver is a hub in my thinking.  It receives inputs from either my X1 or my BD DVD player or my P/S3.  It outputs to the HDMI out to my TV.

What am  I missing?

Don't expect much in the way of changes to X1.  The remotes are "what you see is what you get".

My XR5 and XR11's control my a/v receiver volume, mute, and power in addition to the TV power.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 371 of 1,022 (22,396 Views)

Robert I think what dachtler is trying to say is he/she would like to be able to change inputs on their AV receiver or at least allow the input button on the Comcast remote to offer a choice of changing the input button to control either the TV or receiver.

It's a good point but on the other hand, most forum members know how I feel about this. Spend a few $$$ and invest in a REAL remote control. It makes life SO MUCH easier...

Buying three Harmony 900s to control all three of my X1 systems is looking like one of the smartest things I have ever done.

RobertWy wrote:

I don't understand what you say.  My a/v receiver is a hub in my thinking.  It receives inputs from either my X1 or my BD DVD player or my P/S3.  It outputs to the HDMI out to my TV.

What am  I missing?

Don't expect much in the way of changes to X1.  The remotes are "what you see is what you get".

My XR5 and XR11's control my a/v receiver volume, mute, and power in addition to the TV power.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 372 of 1,022 (22,379 Views)

Well, now I have two XR11's and they have problems.

At first, voice control worked.  Now, it doesn't work with either XR11.  No biggie.  I'm not in favor of voice control.

The other problem is strange.  My first XR11 will control the volume, mute, and power on my TX-NR626 receiver.  The new XR11 won't control the power on the receiver.  It does control the volume and mute of the receiver.

Weird.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 373 of 1,022 (22,373 Views)

Exactly, Rick.  If I can have the Input button on the XR11 (or the XR5) change the A/V receiver input selection, then I'm covered for most of the scenarios that my receiver can end up in. Given that the remotes can support both TV and A/V receiver functions, it would seem that there could be a way for the input button to be used for one or the other.

I have a 2x Harmony 900s as well for my systems, and have used them happily for years.  However, I actually like the button feel of the XR11 better than the 900, and the voice functionality will only work with that remote as well. So, now I'm just using the 900 to turn the system on for watching TV.  I still use the 900s for other sources.

I admit this is a very minor issue.  Just looking for a way to provide feedback to Comcast in case some improvement could be made.

Posted by
Edited on
‎04-21-2015 10:40 AM

Silver Problem Solver

Message 374 of 1,022 (22,366 Views)

[ Edited ]

I hope you don't mind a little feedback on the XR11. I happen to have one. I am not a big fan of voice control for a couple reasons. First of all, it won't control an entire AV system. You are still fumbling with two remotes. Until VC can run an entire system, I won't get very excited about it. My other reason is VC can be disturbing to others. Every time I try to use it, I usually get the rolled eyes look from my GF.

The only reason I have Comcast remotes out in the open is for testing purposes. However once in a great while, I pick up the XR11 for searching. To be honest, searching is the only real value I see in VC as it stands right now.

dachtler wrote:

Exactly, Rick.  If I can have the Input button on the XR11 (or the XR5) change the A/V receiver input selection, then I'm covered for most of the scenarios that my receiver can end up in. Given that the remotes can support both TV and A/V receiver functions, it would seem that there could be a way for the input button to be used for one or the other.

I have a 2x Harmony 900s as well for my systems, and have used them happily for years.  However, I actually like the button feel of the XR11 better than the 900, and the voice functionality will only work with that remote as well. So, now I'm just using the 900 to turn the system on for watching TV.  I still use the 900s for other sources.

I admit this is a very minor issue.  Just looking for a way to provide feedback to Comcast in case some improvement could be made.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 375 of 1,022 (22,280 Views)

FYI - The XR11 voice remote has now been officially released:

Comcast Introduces Voice-Controlled TV Remote

X1 Viewers Can Search, Set Recordings and Get Recommendations with Natural Speech

Comcast Press Release, Business Wire - May 5, 2015

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20150505006428/en/Comcast-Introduces-Voice-Controlled-TV-Remot...

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

... The voice remote is available to all eligible X1 customers. New customers will get the remote during their installation and existing customers can either go to an Xfinity Store to pick one up for free or order online at http://www.comcast.com/voice-remote?ex=False (shipping & handling charges may apply). ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And also this Comcast Voices blog item about it today:

Voice-Enabled Remotes Poised to Become Part of Our Future

By Stig Torud, Texas Instruments, Comcast Voices blog - May 5, 2015

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/comcast-voice-remote-texas-instruments

Posted by
Visitor

Message 376 of 1,022 (22,237 Views)

I went to the site and order an XR11 voice remote control, is it possible to get two since I have 2 STBs?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 377 of 1,022 (22,228 Views)

I went to the site and order an XR11 voice remote control, is it possible to get two since I have 2 STBs?

You can try but down in the fine print is " one per household". Also, the voice remote will only work when paired to the dvr, it will act just like a normal remote with your secondary box ( RNG 150)

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 378 of 1,022 (22,222 Views)

oh, if that's the case I don't need two cause my 2nd STB is just a regular HD X1 STB

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 379 of 1,022 (22,145 Views)

ComcastAndrew wrote:

You can try but down in the fine print is " one per household". Also, the voice remote will only work when paired to the dvr, it will act just like a normal remote with your secondary box ( RNG 150)

The web page offer didn't ask quantity but 2 weeks later (today) I got a call - overseas voice- to handle the order. I asked about 3 since I have 3 x1 DVRs she said let me check and came back and said yes but separate shiipping and handling on each one of $5.95 or pick up at local office. I told her that the local office said they do not carry the x11 voice remote. Needless to say, I did not order the remotes. she said that the SIK did not 'provide' for free shipping/handling.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 380 of 1,022 (22,077 Views)

If you want to pay $19.95 plus shipping (and possible tax) you can order it from here http://store.comcast.com/premium-backlit-remote/detail.php?p=628532&ecid=PRF-CMC-100006&pa=PRF-CMC-1...

Having said that, the "one per household" is a bit chintzy since most will have more than one box.

One post said that they can be picked up at a local office, while another one says he was told the local office does not carry those remotes. That seems odd to me since they are now being given (or supposed to be given) to new X1 customers.

I received my X11 voice remote yesterday. The only reason I wanted it is because it is backlit. Best part is the "built in accelerometer, the remote lights up when you move it, avoiding the need to press a button to activate, like many other backlit remotes on the market".

I did play with the voice command function. What I discovered was in order for it work I have to keep the Voice button pressed while speaking a command. In the time it takes to speak a command and for whatver it is to show on-screen it is quicker to do it manually.

The other thing I like is that the MUTE button is NOT just below the ALL POWER button.

My only complaint is that color under a button (not the color on the button) is lighter than it is on the XR2 remote.  Whoever thought up the under-button color on the X11 did not keep in mind that it needs to be easily seen.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 381 of 1,022 (22,073 Views)

Ya know Evie,

The XR5 lights up just like the XR11 does when you pick it up and the back lighting on the XR5 is much brighter and easier to see than the XR11. As you may know, Comcast stores are giving away XR5s now. They gave me three of them.

From what I can see, the only difference between XR11 and XR5 is color of the remote, voice command and in favor of the XR5, much brighter back lighting.

Queen-Evie wrote:

If you want to pay $19.95 plus shipping (and possible tax) you can order it from here http://store.comcast.com/premium-backlit-remote/detail.php?p=628532&ecid=PRF-CMC-100006&pa=PRF-CMC-1...

Having said that, the "one per household" is a bit chintzy since most will have more than one box.

One post said that they can be picked up at a local office, while another one says he was told the local office does not carry those remotes. That seems odd to me since they are now being given (or supposed to be given) to new X1 customers.

I received my X11 voice remote yesterday. The only reason I wanted it is because it is backlit. Best part is the "built in accelerometer, the remote lights up when you move it, avoiding the need to press a button to activate, like many other backlit remotes on the market".

I did play with the voice command function. What I discovered was in order for it work I have to keep the Voice button pressed while speaking a command. In the time it takes to speak a command and for whatver it is to show on-screen it is quicker to do it manually.

The other thing I like is that the MUTE button is NOT just below the ALL POWER button.

My only complaint is that color under a button (not the color on the button) is lighter than it is on the XR2 remote.  Whoever thought up the under-button color on the X11 did not keep in mind that it needs to be easily seen.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 382 of 1,022 (21,928 Views)

i've now had my Comcast system for about 2 months and HATE the remote and user interface.  Almost to the point of calling DirecTV and asking them for my stuff back.  I'm HOPING that someone in the XFinity X1 platform developmetn reads this and thinks about what they are doing to make this stuff so hard to use.  One would think that some human factors engineer was sitting there watching users try to use this thing and suggested that you guys  not put your users through this.    Examples:

First, the decision to make it so that you can't turn the box off is unexplicable.  I want to turn the thing off when I go to bed at night and want a light to tell me when it's on.  To turn the box off I have to push 14 (yes that many) buttons  to turn things off.  Sure you say you want it on 24/7 but I don't want to power the thing 24/7 in my bedroom when it is used maybe 2-3 hours a day.  

fortunately I am using a universal remote control and was able to "discover" taht there are discrete on and off commands that the box responds to.  (discrete on = if off turn on, if on stay on)  I can now use these in my macros to turn the box off.  But the folks from Comcast were no help in discovering these, I had to load up the remote with every possible of 256 hex commands to find them.  I'm posting them here for others who want to do this.  I include the hex value for Search so that you can compare against your remote:

Search = $CF

Discrete on = $81

Discrete off = $80

The power toggle button can of course be used for discrete on since it doesn't turn the box off.

Second, it takes entirely too  many button pushes and too long to get to things that are used frequently.  For example, I want to go to the list of recorded programs  I push menu, right, select, right, select and I finally get there.  On my DirecTV box I pushed "List" and it pushed me a list of all of the recorded functions.

This is an area where the guys who do the remote could very well have wanted to not have a billion buttons on the remote but could design the box to respond to "hidden" commands (see above) so that those of us with universal remotes that we can program specific features could use.  If Comcast were to build a list of these commands and publish them on their web site for advanced users it would be incredibly helpful.  (for those who thought I tried every possible hex value for codes and only found the Discrete on/off commands and one that switches a paused live show to "live TV"  ( Live = $55)

For instance Roku has discrete commands taht go to Netflix, Amazon, Pandora and a few others that I can program into my remote and push one button to go there.  Comcast should consider things that people do frequently and in a software up date have the box repsond to a new set of published commands for things like "recorded shows", "On Demand" etc.  Right now  I'm sure that the software in the box gets a remote control hex value, says "is this something that I should do" and then ignores the rest.  It would be trivial to put those commands into the list and then point them to the already existing entries in the menu system so that the user can skip directly there.

Third, although the animations in the menu system look nice, they are slow.  I don't want to sit around and wait until the nice litle images of all of the shows "for me" show up before I can push the next button.    An option to turn this stuff off would be apprecaited.  

I want to sit down in front of my cable box and do things, I want to get to where I want to go as fast as I can without any of the junk getting in my way.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes I like to browse and the clever graphics may help me there.  But 90% of the time I'm sitting down to do something specific and I would rather have a system that was designed to not get in my way.

end of rant

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 383 of 1,022 (21,913 Views)

If you search this X1 board, you will see that we recommend third-party universal remotes as a better alternative to the stock remote.  I have a Harmony 650 and a Comcast XR11 with voice control.  My wife uses the XR11 and I use the Harmony.

Comcast evidently turns a deaf ear to our recommendations for improvements to X!, including remotes.

There are other X1 issues that are more important to some people than an improved remote, but it is certainly on the list.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 384 of 1,022 (13,240 Views)

Remote code for Insignia

The selection screen for the codes not listed in the remote fold out, does not work.  I need the Insignia 5 digit code to make the remote work the TV.

Thanks codeseeker

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 385 of 1,022 (13,232 Views)

Re: Remote code for Insignia

Codeseeker,

You are doing something wrong. X1 boxes have two different kinds of pairing. If you are trying to get your Comcast remote to control your TV you will not see any on screen intsructions.

http://customer.xfinity.com/remotes

Codeseeker wrote:

The selection screen for the codes not listed in the remote fold out, does not work.  I need the Insignia 5 digit code to make the remote work the TV.

Thanks codeseeker

Posted by
Visitor

Message 386 of 1,022 (21,874 Views)

They sent me two X11. However the small secondary box doesn't work with it. Stupid. Why send it if it's not going to work. Also, the small box won't pause or replay/go back. If they would have told me that I would have gotten 2regular boxes!!
Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 387 of 1,022 (21,868 Views)

Sorry but your concerns have been discussed over and over again in this forum. It is not new news.

Call Comcast and see if the new Xi3 secondary box is availble in you area.

2Go4Snow wrote:
They sent me two X11. However the small secondary box doesn't work with it. Stupid. Why send it if it's not going to work. Also, the small box won't pause or replay/go back. If they would have told me that I would have gotten 2regular boxes!!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 388 of 1,022 (21,811 Views)

Thank you for the info. Being new here I wasn't aware it was discussed and since there is 6pages of questions, I felt it would be easier for me to just ask. Thanks again
Posted by
Contributor

Message 389 of 1,022 (21,795 Views)

Hello all,

Is anyone else experiencing issues with the xr11 not recognizing your voice commands?  I got mine earlier in the week, and it was working fine, but now, I press the blue voice button, hold it down, the TV states that it is "listening", and then release, and there is no response to any command.  I have tried 3 or 4 different ones.  I  have also tried to reset the box, repair the remote.

If you guys did have issues, and corrected them some how, I would appreciate it if you would share that as well!

Kevin

Posted by
Visitor

Message 390 of 1,022 (21,780 Views)

I started having the same problem today Kevin. Still not working. Worked yesterday.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 391 of 1,022 (21,772 Views)

Be sure to keep the blue button pressed the whole time you are speaking.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 392 of 1,022 (21,687 Views)

Well, it goes like this.  I swapped out a Tv in my back bedroom where my kids watch TV.  I just recently switch to the X1 platform.  I went to look for the guide to reporgram my remote for that room so it would control that TV.  My wife informed me that they forgt to give us and instruction guide for the new remote.  So we called in to see if we could get one mailed.  Comcast is too cheap to do that.  They told me that we either had to go online to get the codes and instructions to program the remote, or waste $15.00-$20.00 in gas to drive to one of their service centers to get one.  Onlie is OK.  But the remote I was trying to program isn't in the same room as the TV I was trying to program it to.  A paper copy is easier to carry from room to room.

But this just goes to show how Comcast doesn't care about their customers and only how much money goes into their pockets.  Most of us as customers pay between $100 & $200 on our bills and they can't afford the price of a postage stamp to send it here.  Its things like this that make me want to switch to Dish Network.

Private companies are much easier top work with.  The probelm with big corporations like Comcast is they don't care about us because they are so big that 1 person leaving isn't even noticed in their pockets.  And the other thing is that Comcast knows that they have a lot of us by our balls because they have the monopoly in most areas where they know they are the only company other than the dish networks that people can get TV service from.

They wouldn't be such snobs if they had to compete like the power companies do.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 393 of 1,022 (21,686 Views)

Re: Remote Madness

I just want to mention that I have this problem also.  When I'm scrolling through the channel guide, the channel window will come up and always want to change to channel 2.  It only happens on my main box.  I've never had this problem with the remote boxes.  Why?  I think Comcast should've did a little bit more testing before releasing this X1 system to figure out why this happens.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 394 of 1,022 (21,683 Views)

The "2" problem happens when the remote isn't "paired" to the main X1 box. Hold down the setup button on the remote until the light changes color, then press the xfinity button (up to 5 times if nothing happens) and enter the numbers on screen.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 395 of 1,022 (21,675 Views)

Re: xr2 remote

This is one of the reasons why I liked to old boxes.  They would update either on or off.  I think what has happened is Comcast is teaming up with the pwoer companies and trying to make us pay higher power bills to help them.  They just don't care about those of us on a budget.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 396 of 1,022 (21,660 Views)

Chillax a little bit. Telcodad recently found a Comcast document that showed X1 boxes use very little power and the difference between on and off is around 10% to 15%.

If you are looking to save money on your power bill, you will find more savings focusing on other devices in your house. X1 boxes are NOT the problem...

Your old Comcast boxes used more power than X1 boxes and just like X1 boxes they used almost as much power even when they were turned off.

krazy ya gotta do some research before you pick your battles............

krazyk1000 wrote:

This is one of the reasons why I liked to old boxes.  They would update either on or off.  I think what has happened is Comcast is teaming up with the pwoer companies and trying to make us pay higher power bills to help them.  They just don't care about those of us on a budget.

Posted by
Edited on
‎06-09-2015 06:26 PM

Visitor

Message 397 of 1,022 (21,647 Views)

[ Edited ]

Just for the record, my remotes for my sets is the XR5v4-R.  But I want to know how I can get the voice one that I've been reading about?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 398 of 1,022 (21,637 Views)

Some Comcast retail stores have them in stock.

This might be another way.

http://www.xfinity.com/voice-remote?ex=True

I use my xfinity remote app for voice control.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 399 of 1,022 (21,616 Views)

krazyk1000 wrote:

Just for the record, my remotes for my sets is the XR5v4-R.  But I want to know how I can get the voice one that I've been reading about?

I believe that there is also a link somehwere in your X1 account online that you can order 1 XR11 and it will only cost you the shipping charges....   Can't for the life of me remember where that is this morning... too early and I haven't had my coffee yet!!!  <G>

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 400 of 1,022 (21,596 Views)

krazyk, if that lit power button really bothers you there is an option in the settings menu where you can put the box to sleep after so many hours.  You pick the time when the box goes to sleep after it is shut down.