online now

discussions

Remote Control

ANSWERED
Service Expert

Re: Remote Control

sidedswiped wrote:

Good day folks,

I just got upgraded to the X1 platform, and decided to scroll thru this fourm to see if there is any solutions to a persistant

problem with the power control on the remotes. I have A XR5 v4 remote(the newest?) and it seems that the all power button turns on/off theT.V only,leaving the set top box on. is there a logical reason why this is happening? I have tried reprogramming all the remotes(1 DVR, 3 companions) and to no avail. Mind you, these units get rather warm in a short time,regardless of running off of a transformer. I even tried using the old remote, and nothing.I read thru the instructions, and this fourm,followed the steps, nothing. any reccomondations would be helpful.

The boxes are not programmed to be turned off using the remote.  You can go into settings and set the time you want it to actually power off there...  these boxes are intended to be left up & running....  You can depress the power button if you so desire though.

btw, you will also notice that the boxes will auto-reboot between2am and 4 am each day!!!

Good Luck!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Regular Visitor

Thank you Ray for the quick response. It boggles the mind on whomever designed this platform for such a device as a cable box to be up and running 24/7, and to put a "All power"button on a remote that serves no purpose is beyond me.

Service Expert

sidedswiped wrote:

Thank you Ray for the quick response. It boggles the mind on whomever designed this platform for such a device as a cable box to be up and running 24/7, and to put a "All power"button on a remote that serves no purpose is beyond me.

Been there...Done that!!!!!!!  <hehehehehehehe>

I really enjoy the X1 platform....  once signal issues are determined and corrected, everyone would love it and not bash it IMO...

-=Ray=-

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Service Expert

sidedswiped wrote:

full max power on dvr running is around 40 watts the 'standby' my guess is 25-30 watts. at 12cents per kw/hour 

http://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.cfm?t=epmt_5_6_a

that is (40 watts / 1000 ) * 12cents * 24 hours/day * 30 days/month = $3.50/month. The 4 watt amp adds another 10% to that per month. In reality the cost would be based on less than max say 35 watts. 

You could invest in 2-3 LED lamps replacing incandescent lamps of 60 watts burning a few hours a day and your Equipment cost would be 'saved'. 

put in a nest or radio-controlled t'stat and save hundreds a year. The new DVRs hardly get above room temperature (very efficient, even the power brick). Compare them to the hot-enough-to-cook-eggs legacy DVRs.

There is a setting under 'device' to turn off the clock and/or power button if you don't need them. My guess is that might save you 2 or 3 pennies a month.

cheers

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

remote problems

Just bought a 55" Hisense smart Tv connected with HDMI box RNG150. My tv only shows channel 6. Remote does not change channels

Gold Problem Solver

Re: remote problems

You need to switch your TV to the HDMI input your X1 box is connected to. It sounds like the TV is on the wrong input. If your TV is connected properly, you are on the right input and you still can't change channels, that is what X1 boxes do when they aren't receiving any signal. Are you sure your X1 box is connected to the RF input, not the RF output?

MSJEN1966 wrote:

Just bought a 55" Hisense smart Tv connected with HDMI box RNG150. My tv only shows channel 6. Remote does not change channels

Regular Visitor

I have a pace box in our bedroom with the xr8 aim anywhere adapter and the new xr5 remote. Every couole of days it stops working and I have to unplug the xr8 and plug it back it to get it working. Just one more glitch to add to my awful X1 experience. My guess is the box reboots and the xr8 is not recognized.
New Poster

I have a Harmony Ultimate remote and can not get it to operate my X1 box. any help out there for this?

Gold Problem Solver

We have been told this is an issue with the XR8. You are probably out of luck until Comcast provides a firmware update to deal with your issue.

dolsey01 wrote:
I have a pace box in our bedroom with the xr8 aim anywhere adapter and the new xr5 remote. Every couole of days it stops working and I have to unplug the xr8 and plug it back it to get it working. Just one more glitch to add to my awful X1 experience. My guess is the box reboots and the xr8 is not recognized.

Gold Problem Solver

Enter the X1 box as a Pace XG1-P or Arris XG1-A on Harmony's web site. Harmony's web site works better when you enter devices with simple and easy model numbers.

I can assure you that Harmony remotes when properly programmed control X1 boxes just fine.

frogbong1 wrote:

I have a Harmony Ultimate remote and can not get it to operate my X1 box. any help out there for this?

New Poster

I tried both of those numbers and neither worked

Gold Problem Solver

Well,

I have programmed at least a dozen Harmony remotes for X1 and I can assure you they control X1 boxes just fine. I am currently using three Harmony 900s and they have absolutely no problem controllng X1 boxes. Unfortunately, this suggests you are doing something wrong, possibly with the IR/RF setup.

frogbong1 wrote:

I tried both of those numbers and neither worked

New Poster

what and how do I change the IR/RF settings?

Regular Visitor

I've had a number of different services from other companies and all their remote had a button that would allow you to skip ahead in like 30 second intervals, I can't understand why Comcast didn't do this on their remote, there is a skip back button, so why did they forget to add the skip forward, the fast forward button is a pain, at lease reprogram the thing if you hit it once it skips 30 seconds at a time and if your want to fast forward then hold it down or something similar, what are you guys thinking?
New Poster

I dropped my remote, now when I hit "Guide" my television is turning on and off.  When I hit "Last" it wants to fast forward.  When I hold "Setup" to re program my remote, the "Help Videos" comes up and it doens't let me setup my remote.  The power button goes green then  red then green again.   Help!!!

Service Expert

klane1129 wrote:

I dropped my remote, now when I hit "Guide" my television is turning on and off.  When I hit "Last" it wants to fast forward.  When I hold "Setup" to re program my remote, the "Help Videos" comes up and it doens't let me setup my remote.  The power button goes green then  red then green again.   Help!!!

press setup until remote LED changes from red to green. press "987" and remote returns to factory setting (for dvr no tv etc)

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Norm,

There is a 30 second skip. If you google "X1 30 second skip" you will get pages of responses.

On the XR2 remote press EXIT EXIT EXIT 0030 and you will have your 30 second skip...

normr1 wrote:
I've had a number of different services from other companies and all their remote had a button that would allow you to skip ahead in like 30 second intervals, I can't understand why Comcast didn't do this on their remote, there is a skip back button, so why did they forget to add the skip forward, the fast forward button is a pain, at lease reprogram the thing if you hit it once it skips 30 seconds at a time and if your want to fast forward then hold it down or something similar, what are you guys thinking?

Regular Visitor

Thanks for the info, I will try it, but I like also have the 5 minute skip, Icwish I didn't need to give that up, it's a shame you can't use one of the ABCD buttons,
Regular Visitor

I'm having an issue with the remote for one of my companion boxes. When originally installed the tech provided an AIm Anywhere adapter and the remote was paired, life was great for about 2 weeks and then the remote would only work sometimes. I would unplug the adapter and plug back in or 'pair' and it would start working and then a day would go by and it would stop working. So we decided to remove and use the eye Comcast provided (not sure what it's called, the box is mounted behind the tv), but now the remote is going crazy. For example, when I type in the channel '12' , it repeats the numbers multiple times. it enters multiple numbers although I'm only entering one 1 and one 2, if I hit the menu button it will skip over saved or on demand, it varies. I have the xr5 vr remote; I'm not experiencing the issue with any other box.
New Poster

Re: xr2 remote

great information! I follwed the link and the remote is not only backlit, it has a great feel and programmed to my RCA TV! - have a model of RCA that is known to not be compatible to most if not all universal remotes to control volume and input, but this remote did! Also, the price is great!! Well worth it for anyone who is wondering!
Regular Contributor

So what's the best Harmony remote to use with the X1?

Gold Problem Solver

They all work well. The 900 remains my personal favorite but they are discontinued and getting hard to come by.

You get to pick which one you want.

jwmccnn wrote:

Service Expert

jwmccnn wrote:

FWIW,

I have the 650.... easy to use, easy to program and even the the non-techy wife loves it with no problems!!!

-=Ray=-

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Gold Problem Solver

The Harmony 650 is a really good remote especially when you consider it can usually be purchased for around $50-$60. I have five of them LOL... Two years ago Best Buy had them on sale during Black Friday weekend for $39. I bought four of them...

geek46 wrote:

jwmccnn wrote:

FWIW,

I have the 650.... easy to use, easy to program and even the the non-techy wife loves it with no problems!!!

-=Ray=-

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

The Harmony 650 is a really good remote especially when you consider it can usually be purchased for around $50-$60. I have five of them LOL... Two years ago Best Buy had them on sale during Black Friday weekend for $39. I bought four of them...

geek46 wrote:

jwmccnn wrote:

FWIW,

-=Ray=-

Do you guys use the Harmony remotes in IR mode or RF for the X1?  Can you use a Harmony remote in RF for the X1 and IR for the other components?  Is the 650 RF or IR?

Gold Problem Solver

You need to use IR. No universal remotes will communicate directly over RF with X1 boxes. X1 uses Zigbee which is rare for (but not unheard of) for remote communication.

Harmony does make remotes with there own built in RF capability. The Harmony 900s I use came with an RF system, meaning a remote, separate RF base and IR emitters. It works really well.

The Harmony "Smart Control" lists at $129 but I am sure it is available for less. It has a lot of capabilities including RF and smartphone control for that price. If I were currently shopping for a remote it is one I would certainly consider.

jwmccnn wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

geek46 wrote:

jwmccnn wrote:

FWIW,

-=Ray=-

Do you guys use the Harmony remotes in IR mode or RF for the X1?  Can you use a Harmony remote in RF for the X1 and IR for the other components?  Is the 650 RF or IR?

Regular Contributor

RickGr4 wrote:

You need to use IR. No universal remotes will communicate directly over RF with X1 boxes. X1 uses Zigbee which is rare for (but not unheard of) for remote communication.

Harmony does make remotes with there own built in RF capability. The Harmony 900s I use came with an RF system, meaning a remote, separate RF base and IR emitters. It works really well.

The Harmony "Smart Control" lists at $129 but I am sure it is available for less. It has a lot of capabilities including RF and smartphone control for that price. If I were currently shopping for a remote it is one I would certainly consider.

jwmccnn wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

geek46 wrote:

jwmccnn wrote:

FWIW,

-=Ray=-

So you use the 900 with RF? or are the Harmony RF features just not compatible with the X1 at all?

Gold Problem Solver

I use the RF kit that originally came with the 900. I am not aware of ANY universal remotes that will communicate directly with X1 boxes. Like I said, X1 boxes use Zigbee and Zigbee is pretty rare. Also, Comcast appears to have the X1 boxes locked to prevent RF pairing with any remotes other than theirs.

jwmccnn wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

jwmccnn wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

geek46 wrote:

jwmccnn wrote:

FWIW,

-=Ray=-

So you use the 900 with RF? or are the Harmony RF features just not compatible with the X1 at all?

Regular Contributor

Thanks Rick.  I just ordered a 700.  I'll just use it in IR mode and it should control my other components.  It was fairly cheap and should do what I want.   Thanks for the help.

New Poster

Re: X1 Remote and IR / Harmony Remote.

I talked to a logitech tech this morning he said the harmony one remote will work with the x1 box.I called comcast with the logitech rep on the other phone she said it is a infrared not radio frequencie so it will work.I am going to order the x1 platform so we will see what happens.

Regular Visitor

Does anyone know if the Logitech 650 is the only remote that will operate the Comcast X1 DVR cable box Model: PX001ANC?

I was told by Best Buy that the RCA Model RCRBB04GR for $10.99 would work. It does not. And the wunderkinds at Comcast xFinity "support" said no other remote would work. Obviously wrong given some the 95 replies to this forum topic.

I did not want some major remote at even $65 on my budget that had a LCD screen, nor no need to control a home full of electronics - just TV, Blu-ray, and cable box. I am trying to simplify, not expand my iLife. The more loaded with stuff the remote has, the more likely it will malfunction. 

Logitech (not the most stellar support either and their products and software are not made/written well) sells a Harmony 350 without the LCD window. Has anyone got this to operate the Comcast X1 box mentioned above? Or any other brand remote? If it has the ability to backlight illuminate some of the primary buttons, that's a plus.

By the way, a little Comcast support help, or support help in general: resist calling support on off-hours, -and- if the support person who answers the phone asks if they can call you "Mr. (first name)" - HANG UP! 

Thanks for any suggestions. An URL/link address is helpful as well.

Service Expert

I have heard this (more expensive) remote at BestBuy works with X1 DVR's.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/one-for-all-4-device-universal-remote-black/1731147.p?id=1219061847546&s...

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Regular Visitor

Thank you (and the link). I'll let you know if I buy it.

Frequent Visitor

Remote Control Not Working

I am about fed up. I have had X1 for a few months, and lately the remote has quit working with the secondary box in my bedroom unless the box has been reset (and not always then). I have had the box replaced, and today another tech came to the house to check on the problem; he said it was a S/N problem and wound up replacing the cable from the terminal to the box (while the S/N went from @29db to now @40db, that obviously did not resolve the issue). Yeah, it worked great after he installed it, but tonight I turned the TV on and, voila, the remote again did not work. Pressing the buttons on the remote causes the green light to flash on the STB, but nothing actually happens. It works with the TV to turn it off and on, as well as to adjust the volume, but that'a about it. Typically, after rebooting the STB, the remote will once again work, but only temporarily - the next day it's the same thing all over again. The only thing that seems to work is putting the STB into diagnostic mode, since that doesn't talk to the cloud but to the box only.

So, box replaced, cable replaced, STB hard and soft rebooted, reset signals sent from the office, etc. Nothing seems to work. This is not working for me.

Service Expert

Re: Remote Control Not Working

dmcannon99 wrote:

I am about fed up. I have had X1 for a few months, and lately the remote has quit working with the secondary box in my bedroom unless the box has been reset (and not always then). I have had the box replaced, and today another tech came to the house to check on the problem; he said it was a S/N problem and wound up replacing the cable from the terminal to the box (while the S/N went from @29db to now @40db, that obviously did not resolve the issue). Yeah, it worked great after he installed it, but tonight I turned the TV on and, voila, the remote again did not work. Pressing the buttons on the remote causes the green light to flash on the STB, but nothing actually happens. It works with the TV to turn it off and on, as well as to adjust the volume, but that'a about it. Typically, after rebooting the STB, the remote will once again work, but only temporarily - the next day it's the same thing all over again. The only thing that seems to work is putting the STB into diagnostic mode, since that doesn't talk to the cloud but to the box only.

So, box replaced, cable replaced, STB hard and soft rebooted, reset signals sent from the office, etc. Nothing seems to work. This is not working for me.

hi, another customer here. first issue, when remote is 'being ignored, sometimes use of the smart phone "xFinity x1 Remote" app works when used instead of the remote maybe one out of 2 times. The issue in current DVR software is due to all commands must leave your home, go to comcast servers, who then tell your x1 box(es) what commands to process or deliver error message(s).  It appears based on previous threads that this is part of the growing pains of adding new X1 devices to the existing x1 servers. The 'ignoring' (actually the button presses are generally stored and done later which in many cases is even worse than being ignored) does not usually last very long and comcast adds capacity in your service area when this problem happens.

In another thread, we were told by comcast that a coming update will make sure that even if comcast servers are down, too busy, etc, that we can still view content stored on our DVR (at least that would keep us busy). 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

This is not the DVR, it is a secondary box. I have the app on my phone, but it does not have all the functions, and the last time I tried using it when the remote wouldn't wwork, the only function that did anything was the mute, which is pretty useless when you can't even change the channel (although a mute might be good for me, instead, when this happens).

Official Employee

This is not the DVR, it is a secondary box. I have the app on my phone, but it does not have all the functions, and the last time I tried using it when the remote wouldn't wwork, the only function that did anything was the mute, which is pretty useless when you can't even change the channel (although a mute might be good for me, instead, when this happens).

If it's hooked up through HDMI try hooking it up with component cables and see if things change.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Regular Contributor

I use the logitech harmony home, which is a remote that communicates to a puck near the equipment. It sounds weird, but works suprisingly well. Setup is miuch much simpler through my Ipad than it was through the web site, and I can use my idevices as remotes as well. I like it a lot better than the 650....It is far less likely to get out of synch....it just works.

Frequent Visitor

It is hooked up via HDMI - I will have to locate component cables. Why would that impact the box, since the remote has little to do with the TV and all the "actions" are apparently performed in the cloud. Also, if that turns out to be the problem, won't that degrade the signal to the TV?

Service Expert

dmcannon99 wrote:

It is hooked up via HDMI - I will have to locate component cables. Why would that impact the box, since the remote has little to do with the TV and all the "actions" are apparently performed in the cloud. Also, if that turns out to be the problem, won't that degrade the signal to the TV?

you think that's puzzling? how about how you said you could only mute using the app "xfinity x1 remote" since it does not have a mute button.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Service Expert

bradbortner wrote:

I use the logitech harmony home, which is a remote that communicates to a puck near the equipment. It sounds weird, but works suprisingly well. Setup is miuch much simpler through my Ipad than it was through the web site, and I can use my idevices as remotes as well. I like it a lot better than the 650....It is far less likely to get out of synch....it just works.

$150 and up?  

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

It was a misstatement on my part, as I meant the closed captioning, but thanks. Now, how does mute vs. cc equate to HDMI vs. component? Maybe some clarification is needed: the remote functionality, other than for volume and the power toggle, are for the STB...how would the connection to the TV impact how the STB converses with the cloud? Forgive my naivete, but I don't think the cloud conversation goes through the TV, which only has a connection to the STB and a Blu-Ray player...it is not connected to the Internet otherwise. FWIW, my TV is a mid-level Samsung (i.e., it does not have the conversation capabilities of higher-end Samsungs...in other words, no SmartTV or hub functionalities) - given that Samsung is one of the most popular TV brands out there, is the argument that the STBs do not work properly with Samsung TVs? If such is the case, might this not be a severe shortcoming of the STB?

Frequent Visitor

All of the info regarding the incompatability of the X1 platform remote control with other 3rd party programmable remotes seems to relate to the Harmony remotes.  URC (Universal Remote Controls) the leader in such remotes has  updated software to allow control of X1 platform devises. all remotes that are updateable MX450 and above can upload such software.

FACT all ir remote control for AV components have worked under the standard TWIN BURST/BINARY IR PROTOCOL.  X1 SYSTEM works under 16 burst/hex decimal.  Codes can be learned by other remotes yet only broadcast TWIN BUST/BINARY IR PROTOCOL. X1 is looking for 16 burst/hex decimal commands and will not understand any other language.  This new ir protocol was introducted 3 years ago with the COMCAST/PACE RNG110 which caused major problem for anyone who had any of the expensive programmable remotes, that they installed to their systems to provide features that did not exist in the comcast remote.  ie. control of more than 2) additional components (TV/AUX), RF control of such components not requireing line of sight allowing components to be out of sight or in a rack of all house automation systems, macro key programming, and many other useful features.  So when comcast began swaping out older receiver to the surprize and dismay of those customers their expensive remote became non- functional and compromized operation of their systems.  As a professional installer I was one of the first to stumble across this.  I informed comcast of the problem and encouraged that they spread the word to all tech support reps to advise customers if they use 3rd party programmable remotes.  To no avail!  Comcast continued to dispatch field tech to install these receiver without warning, then receive trouble calls, send tech to replace what was preceived to be non-functional receivers.  All of this at a great expense in time,money, and agrevation to the customers and comcast itself.  GO FIGURE!

Gold Problem Solver

Not to disagree with a brother in the business but I have programmed over 300 Harmony remotes for friends, family and customers. I currently own and use a wide variety of Harmony remotes. However I have also been through URC Complete Control training and I own an MX-780 which I programmed myself.

Where I need to correct you is Harmony has always had perfectly good X1 IR codes in their data base. Also, Harmony remotes learn X1 commands fairly easily. Even my old 620, 659 and 670 control X1 flawlessly. Advising members of this forum that Harmony remotes struggle with controlling X1 would at the very minimum be inaccurate...

URC is a different story. The old CCP software does NOT appear to have a good set of X1 codes. A friend of mine loves the old MX-850 but he has yet to fully and properly program it to control X1. I was never trained on CCP nor do I have it. The newer Complete Control software DOES have code set (210 or 211?) that properly controls X1. I will agree that what you are suggesting about IR protocol is accurate, at least in the case of URC. But it would be but unfair to Harmony and also inaccurate to include them in that conversation.

When it comes to the IR protocol with X1 boxes, I am fairly sure there was a very dramatic change to X1 boxes late in 2013 or very early in 2014. The reason I am saying this is when I first got X1 in September 2013, the old silver Moto remote WOULD NOT control X1 but at some point that changed. As we now know, the old silver remote will control X1 but that was not always the case. I theorized that Comcast changed the X1 boxes to respond to more than one set of IR command codes (I found a comment on Pace's web site which confirmed that), in fact X1 boxes may be capable of responding to three different sets of IR command codes.

Don't get me wrong. URC makes fantastic remotes. They are certainly better built (and generally more expensive) than Harmony remotes and Complete Control software allows for much more detailed and complex programming solutions. The URC MX-890 is one of my all time favorite remotes and I intend to buy one soon. But to tell this forum that Harmony remotes struggle with controlling X1 devices is simply not accurate.

EARSSYSTEMS wrote:

All of the info regarding the incompatability of the X1 platform remote control with other 3rd party programmable remotes seems to relate to the Harmony remotes.  URC (Universal Remote Controls) the leader in such remotes has  updated software to allow control of X1 platform devises. all remotes that are updateable MX450 and above can upload such software.

FACT all ir remote control for AV components have worked under the standard TWIN BURST/BINARY IR PROTOCOL.  X1 SYSTEM works under 16 burst/hex decimal.  Codes can be learned by other remotes yet only broadcast TWIN BUST/BINARY IR PROTOCOL. X1 is looking for 16 burst/hex decimal commands and will not understand any other language.  This new ir protocol was introducted 3 years ago with the COMCAST/PACE RNG110 which caused major problem for anyone who had any of the expensive programmable remotes, that they installed to their systems to provide features that did not exist in the comcast remote.  ie. control of more than 2) additional components (TV/AUX), RF control of such components not requireing line of sight allowing components to be out of sight or in a rack of all house automation systems, macro key programming, and many other useful features.  So when comcast began swaping out older receiver to the surprize and dismay of those customers their expensive remote became non- functional and compromized operation of their systems.  As a professional installer I was one of the first to stumble across this.  I informed comcast of the problem and encouraged that they spread the word to all tech support reps to advise customers if they use 3rd party programmable remotes.  To no avail!  Comcast continued to dispatch field tech to install these receiver without warning, then receive trouble calls, send tech to replace what was preceived to be non-functional receivers.  All of this at a great expense in time,money, and agrevation to the customers and comcast itself.  GO FIGURE!

Gold Problem Solver

There are "known issues" with late model Samsung and Vizio TVs being used with X1 boxes. The new 2.0 firmware (current hot topic in this forum) should help you. I think if you simply searched for "Samsung" within this forum you would find plenty of information.

dmcannon99 wrote:

It was a misstatement on my part, as I meant the closed captioning, but thanks. Now, how does mute vs. cc equate to HDMI vs. component? Maybe some clarification is needed: the remote functionality, other than for volume and the power toggle, are for the STB...how would the connection to the TV impact how the STB converses with the cloud? Forgive my naivete, but I don't think the cloud conversation goes through the TV, which only has a connection to the STB and a Blu-Ray player...it is not connected to the Internet otherwise. FWIW, my TV is a mid-level Samsung (i.e., it does not have the conversation capabilities of higher-end Samsungs...in other words, no SmartTV or hub functionalities) - given that Samsung is one of the most popular TV brands out there, is the argument that the STBs do not work properly with Samsung TVs? If such is the case, might this not be a severe shortcoming of the STB?

Frequent Visitor

I've searched through the forums, as you said, and found that even some Toshiba TVs exhibit this same behavior. I'm pretty sure that Vizio TVs are contract-built, so they may share some hardware/software with Samsung...perhaps the same is true for some of the Toshiba models...? In any event, I'm pretty sure that Samsung is one of the more popular TVs out there (great picture on most, as Samsung manufactures the display panels, so they can pick the best ones), so it seems strange that this problem would exist; maybe with some off-brand, but not such a large selling set.

I have not yet located my component cables (haven't used them in years), but a couple of folks said that didn't make a difference for them. One person said they were told to switch to coax, but that pretty much eliminates HD, if I recall correctly. That won't fly for me. It does appear that the common thread is that the remote functionality dies after the TV is turned off, then on again, so it might be some error where the "conversation" between the TV and STB is stopping the connection with the cloud for the STB. Odd.

As for the 2.0 release, I saw where it is in limited release, but only for DVR boxes at this time. As this is a secondary STB (and not, apparently, in the initial release area), that won't help at present. Comcast's promotional material mentions UI changes for the new release, but not specific hardware support additions/improvements.

Gold Problem Solver

You are over thinking. Samsung is a very good TV but it would be naive to think that all Samsung TVs are built by Samsung. Sony no longer builds any of their own TVs. I HIGHLY doubt Samsung builds all of their own TVs, especially the smaller and lower end models.

There ARE KNOWN ISSUES with late model Samsung TVs and X1 boxes. It has been discussed in this forum. The popularity of Samsung TVs has little to do with this. However which chipsets they use probably does. That might explain why Samsung and Vizio owners (along with some Toshiba and Sharp owners) are complaining about the same issues.

dmcannon99 wrote:

I've searched through the forums, as you said, and found that even some Toshiba TVs exhibit this same behavior. I'm pretty sure that Vizio TVs are contract-built, so they may share some hardware/software with Samsung...perhaps the same is true for some of the Toshiba models...? In any event, I'm pretty sure that Samsung is one of the more popular TVs out there (great picture on most, as Samsung manufactures the display panels, so they can pick the best ones), so it seems strange that this problem would exist; maybe with some off-brand, but not such a large selling set.

I have not yet located my component cables (haven't used them in years), but a couple of folks said that didn't make a difference for them. One person said they were told to switch to coax, but that pretty much eliminates HD, if I recall correctly. That won't fly for me. It does appear that the common thread is that the remote functionality dies after the TV is turned off, then on again, so it might be some error where the "conversation" between the TV and STB is stopping the connection with the cloud for the STB. Odd.

As for the 2.0 release, I saw where it is in limited release, but only for DVR boxes at this time. As this is a secondary STB (and not, apparently, in the initial release area), that won't help at present. Comcast's promotional material mentions UI changes for the new release, but not specific hardware support additions/improvements.

Regular Visitor

I went with the Harmony 350 ($45.99 on sale at Best Buy). Now my issue is with my SEIKI TV. The Comcast X! (Model: PX001ANC) functions are plentiful. But I can't find a key for Aspect (JUST SCAN, WIDE, ZOOM, etc.) for this device. Wrote Logitech support.

I was impressed with the programming of the remote via the MyHarmony support site using the USB cable for the remote to PC. Nice concept. But then I have been 40 years in IT and want to reduce my iLife as much as possible. Not into all the latest and greatest. For most tech work, thrill is gone!

Maybe Logitech support is improving in some areas. Wireless mice and keyboards, at least low-end, need work.

That's it for me, but you folks carry on :}

Thanks for the input.

Frequent Visitor

I don't know who else might manufacture Samsung TVs (if anybody), as they have facilities all over the planet, but that is not the point. The actual point is that Samsung is the number one seller of TVs, which should, indeed, impact their support by Comcast and its suppliers. It would be similar to Verizon not working correctly with iPhones (or, indeed, Samsung phones - "Sorry, in order to make calls on your phone you will need to reboot it every time...or you can just use text messaging."). If I had some cheesy Acme TV from Coyote Enterprises, I could see it having some issues, but Samsung?

I noted the fact that there was mention of these issues in fhe forums, so I am unsure why you tossed that in with all caps. I am looking for a solution here, and don't understand some of the feedback I have been getting, some of which is not especially constructive.

I have been a Comcast customer for, literally, decades, but perhaps I should reconsider. Comcast has, to date, not been very hepful with this matter (two tech visits, several "chats," etc.), so I was hoping other users might provide some viable solutions. Since I have three Samsung TVs (and one Toshiba), it would behoove me to use somebody that supports Samsung products; the one that I am currently having issues with is 1080P and I am paying for HD service from Comcast - why would I want to resort to a connection that will knock me down to SD (or even low-level HD)? Should I just wait and hope that a new release, that isn't even available for anything but DVRs at this time, will resolve this?

Regular Contributor

I just got 2 new XR5 remotes. One is an XR5v4-R and the other is a v3-R. I seem to be having some trouble with the v4-R. Some of the buttons don't work all the time. It takes a couple clicks for them to work. Is there a big difference between the v4-R and the v3-R?