members

online now

discussions

Remote Control

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 201 of 1,024

AdamR78 wrote:

It worked fine for a month then just stopped working. What do you mean is it working via IR. Its not working at all. It will control the TVs volume and will shut the TV off/turn it one. It will not control the box at all.

did you try doing what is in msg 93 above?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 202 of 1,024

When an X1 box is stuck on one channel, that is a sign it have lost it's connection to the internet. I doubt the problem is the remote itself. I am guessing it's the box and you have signal/connection problems.

I think you should call in and get a tech out to your house to check your signals.

AdamR78 wrote:

It worked fine for a month then just stopped working. What do you mean is it working via IR. Its not working at all. It will control the TVs volume and will shut the TV off/turn it one. It will not control the box at all.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 203 of 1,024

I don't think it's the remote, your box is sitting at a -45 on the downstream ( not good). If you can, hook it up where your modem is and see if anything changes. Your modem has a good signal, if you move it, it will tell you if it's the box or the outlet it's on.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 204 of 1,024

The Modem is right next to the box.

I can change channels with the phone app (thank you). Remote still doesnt work.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 205 of 1,024

Even though you can change channels with the app, that still doesn't rule out signal issues. I suggest you try Andrews suggestion. If not, be prepared to get a tech out there.

AdamR78 wrote:

The Modem is right next to the box.

I can change channels with the phone app (thank you). Remote still doesnt work.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 206 of 1,024

His suggestion of moving the box were the modem is ?  Its already there,

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 207 of 1,024
If it's coming off a 2 way splitter swap the output on it between the 2 and see if anything changes. If it doesn't change you need the box swapped out. Also powercycle it after disconnecting the cable.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 208 of 1,024

25% off the remote today, go get it .. 

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 209 of 1,024

Replacing boxes every few months is exactly why I left Comcast for 2 years before.  This box is a month old. And why would I buy a remote to replace the one that comes with my service that didnt last a month ?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 210 of 1,024

Don't you have another Comcast remote laying around the house you can test with??? Even one of the older silver remotes? They work with X1.

Comcast stores give away the basic remotes for free...

AdamR78 wrote:

Replacing boxes every few months is exactly why I left Comcast for 2 years before.  This box is a month old. And why would I buy a remote to replace the one that comes with my service that didnt last a month ?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 211 of 1,024

No, gave them all back when I turned my old boxes in and modem in.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 212 of 1,024
As of late last night and up to now, your box is now sitting at +16 downstream ( too high). If your modem and HD box are coming off a splitter in the same room ( you didn't say ) the 2 pieces of equipment should be close to equal in signal level ( give or take a Db) and they're not the HD box is 10 DB higher. I'd get it swapped out.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 213 of 1,024

AdamR78 wrote:

No, gave them all back when I turned my old boxes in and modem in.

I was able to get an old silver remote at my local Comcast store for free.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 214 of 1,024

ComcastNeal wrote:
30 second skip is available today via page up and page down. Press EXIT-EXIT-EXIT-0-0-3-0 and your remote will skip back and ahead 30 seconds using page up and page down. As for other button reassignments, this is also possible today. I will create a new remote thread in the next week to touch on all remote options.

Hey ComcastNeal, any update?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 215 of 1,024

Hi Y'all!  I decided to haunt this thread for a little while.  

Please remember that I am elderly, and that my ancient mother lives with me.  She is driving me batty having problems with her X1 remote, because she has decided that she simply can't work it.   Her television is a 25-year-old Magnavox console, and I know I'm going to have to buy her a new one but I keep putting it off for several reasons.

I bought one of those big-button Flipper remote controls; do I have a prayer of making it work for her?  If so, can somebody give me an old-person cliff notes instruction please?

Thanks.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 216 of 1,024

I tried what you advised, but could NOT get my Harmony 890 to 'skip ahead'.........any thoughts?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 217 of 1,024

Any help to be able to program 'SKIP' on 890.........keep trying and nothing happens.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 218 of 1,024

Any help to be able to program 'SKIP' on 890.........keep trying and nothing happens.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 219 of 1,024

The PAGE + on the Comcast remote also serves as the forward skip. The PAGE - serves as the replay. Just program PAGE + to the forward skip button on your 890 and program PAGE - to the back skip on your 890. It should work great.

When you are programming the remote, enter your X1 box as an "XFINITY" XG1-A or XG1-P.

You should be all set.

Geep2 wrote:

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 220 of 1,024
Off on a different tangent. Does anybody know how, if it's possible, to set a reminder on X1? Or, a viable work around?
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 221 of 1,024

You can't set a reminder with X1. But the work around is simple and works well. You have four tuners available for recording. Instead of setting a reminder, set a recording. It's roughly the same amount of steps.

Comcast has hinted they are working on a reminder system but it could be some time before we see it return.

Manta6624 wrote:
Off on a different tangent. Does anybody know how, if it's possible, to set a reminder on X1? Or, a viable work around?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 222 of 1,024

A message on the tv screen periodically tells me the batteries are low in my remote.  But I put in new batteries the first time the message appeared a few weeks ago and it won't go away. Tips/answers?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 223 of 1,024
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 224 of 1,024

Any chance of getting the All Power button to put the X1 into Power Save mode?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 225 of 1,024

SG13 wrote:

Any chance of getting the All Power button to put the X1 into Power Save mode?

No.  You have to use the Settings menu to do that.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 226 of 1,024

SS4067 wrote:

A message on the tv screen periodically tells me the batteries are low in my remote.  But I put in new batteries the first time the message appeared a few weeks ago and it won't go away. Tips/answers?

The only thing I can think of is to unplug your X1 DVR and plug it back in to get a hard reboot.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 227 of 1,024

Hello 

Thank you for contacting us via forums.  I have resynced your box. This should help remove the box that is appearing. If you are still having problems feel free to contact me directly via private message. 

Thank you,

ComcastCharlene

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 228 of 1,024

You can click on my name (ComcastCharlene) and scroll down to a link that says “Send this user a private message”.

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope

This is the icon for Private Messages, referred to as ‘PM’s’. A Private Message is a way to communicate in private, to another User, Moderator, or Administrator out of public view in the Forums.

The gray envelope icon will have a number next to it if you have any new messages waiting.

To open a PM to read it, double click on the envelope. If you click on the white envelope a window will open with tabs for your Private Message Inbox, Sent Messages, Friends, Ignored Users, and Compose new Message. You can also access this area by clicking on the Username in a Thread or post. By default, Private Messages are enabled. You can disable this feature in My Settings>Preferences> Private Messenger.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 229 of 1,024

ComcastCharlene wrote:

You can click on my name (ComcastCharlene) and scroll down to a link that says “Send this user a private message”.

At the top of each Forum page you will see a small envelope
<snip>.

instead of posting 2 times for each of your 'PM replies' just add a signature to your actual post that includes the link 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/XI-Remote-Control/m-p/2431049#M51629

that way you don't make 2 posts duplicating the same information on each of your replies.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 230 of 1,024

Maybe I should rephrase the question, as its directed towards Comcast employees....

Any chance of pressing the All Power button and putting the X1 to sleep immediately?

Rather than waiting for it to go into Power Save mode via the Power Save timer setting.....

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 231 of 1,024

Rick, has there been any progress in the harmony remotes and the channel search side menu?  I just got a harmony remote and have been going through this nonesense.  I was able to change my xfinity remote to the RF which solved the problem for the xfinity remote.  I do have the Arris not the Pace which I think I read somewhere doesn't have this problem?

I'm wondering if I need to take the harmony back or cancel comcast (I did just get comcast as well)

Posted by
Visitor

Message 232 of 1,024

new convert to the X1 system, Had a 13 year old system very happy with X1, with one exception my old remote had a button that I could set up a favorites list with and just scroll through the channels that where saved, is this function now lost I don’t see and have not read about one of the buttons with the new system having this capability through the remote.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 233 of 1,024
No that does not exsist with x1.. it may take time to conform to the x1 way, but once you do it is better..you can hit the last button after you have tunned to all th bose channels. If it is sports than try the sports app to achieve this..

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 234 of 1,024

moose1967 wrote:

new convert to the X1 system, Had a 13 year old system very happy with X1, with one exception my old remote had a button that I could set up a favorites list with and just scroll through the channels that where saved, is this function now lost I don’t see and have not read about one of the buttons with the new system having this capability through the remote.

Hello,

There is not a "Favorites" button on the X1 remote control; however, you can mark all of your favorite channels as "Favorite" in two ways: 1. Press the "Guide" button, go to your favorite channels in the guide, scroll left on a channel until the number is highlighted, select "OK" and then select "Favorite" 2. Go to On Demand > Networks, find your favorite networks, scroll down to the "Channels" row on a Network page, select "Ok" and then "Favorite"

After you've marked your favorite channels as "Favorite," you can click the "Guide" button twice, select the "Favorites" guide view and scroll through all of your favorite channels to see what's on now or in the future.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 235 of 1,024

for marking/unmarking channels as favorites, if a smartphone is available, the xFinity TV Remote app (settings, favorite channels) is so fast and easy. Comcast has really done a great job on the app.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 236 of 1,024

It keeps telling me that service isn't available in my area.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 237 of 1,024

MLurie wrote:

It keeps telling me that service isn't available in my area.

that is the "xfinity TV" app. The one you want is the "xFinity TV Remote" app (basically the web dvr manager on an app).

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 238 of 1,024

ComcastNeal wrote:
It will actually be more of a platform tips and tricks thread which will include remote functions.

Any update on this Neal?

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 239 of 1,024
I can also vouch for this not working.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 240 of 1,024

I just got the X1 boxes and new remotes.  I am trying to pair the remote to the box however when i tryit and hit the xfinity button it never pops up the 3 digit code it just scrolls through the on demand functions.  I have the xr2 v2 remote and it says it should be able to pair. Anyone else having this issue.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 241 of 1,024
Assuming that you are pairing the remote on the main DVR I would try to power cycle the box. For some reason the pairing screen has a mind of it's own once In a while.
Posted by
Visitor
Message 242 of 1,024
This is contradictory to what the website will tell you. You can only have one device other than the box. This of course makes the new remote useless.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 243 of 1,024

randomword2 wrote:
This is contradictory to what the website will tell you. You can only have one device other than the box. This of course makes the new remote useless.

I have an XG5, XG11, and a Harmoney 650 all controlling my main X1 DVR.  I'm not bothered by being able to only pair one remote.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 244 of 1,024
Did you ever receive an answer on your post?
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 245 of 1,024

Came across your response and agree with your solution.  However, I have 2 Harmony remotes and both produce the random number 3 (sometimes 2) search boxes when navigation keys are used.  Thought it must be a Logitech issue, but got a couple of the Xfinity silver remotes and they behave exactly the same.  Searching elsewhere on the board shows that this was an earlier problem that was fixed.  Is it still there with universal remotes?

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 246 of 1,024
You just need to add some tape on the stb, covering more of the ir sensor. For some reason the sensor picks up reflections within the home and the software will at times double the number two or three..
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 247 of 1,024

My X1 remote no longer seems to be able to pair with the dvr. I have had it successfully paired for over a year until it stopped functioning last night. In order to get the remote to work with the DVR I had to unpair it (setup,xhinity,987). When I tried to pair it back with my box I no longer get the pair screen. Pushing setup on my remote brings up the help screen and pressing the xfinity button only exits the help menu and goes to the xfinity menu.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 248 of 1,024

Hostme wrote:

My X1 remote no longer seems to be able to pair with the dvr. I have had it successfully paired for over a year until it stopped functioning last night. In order to get the remote to work with the DVR I had to unpair it (setup,xhinity,987). When I tried to pair it back with my box I no longer get the pair screen. Pushing setup on my remote brings up the help screen and pressing the xfinity button only exits the help menu and goes to the xfinity menu.

known issue. hit channel up and verify only the red led flashes on the remote. if so, reboot box (long press 10+seconds on power circle button, release, OR unplug and plug back in. The remote will work then to pair.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 249 of 1,024

I tried that. I even followed the troubleshooting through the Xfinity App and had it send refresh signals, reset box info, then another reset. I still get the same help screen when I hit the setup button and then the normal Xfinity DVR menu pops up when I hit the Xfinity button......and I just realized if I keep pressing the Xfinity button fast it goes to the pairing menu.

thank you for your help Rustyben

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 250 of 1,024

Good day folks,

I just got upgraded to the X1 platform, and decided to scroll thru this fourm to see if there is any solutions to a persistant

problem with the power control on the remotes. I have A XR5 v4 remote(the newest?) and it seems that the all power button turns on/off theT.V only,leaving the set top box on. is there a logical reason why this is happening? I have tried reprogramming all the remotes(1 DVR, 3 companions) and to no avail. Mind you, these units get rather warm in a short time,regardless of running off of a transformer. I even tried using the old remote, and nothing.I read thru the instructions, and this fourm,followed the steps, nothing. any reccomondations would be helpful.