New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Remote Control

SOLVED
Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 101 of 1,025
Thank you for the quick response and explanation. I am assuming there is no way to control both my TV and stereo?
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 102 of 1,025

mkferrari wrote:
 I am assuming there is no way to control both my TV and stereo?

What is the version of your XR2 remote?

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 103 of 1,025
Version U2
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 104 of 1,025

I am using the remote on the Comcast store to control my A/V receiver.  It might not be what you are asking for.  It's about $25 with shipping.

http://store.comcast.com/detail.php?p=628532&v=comcast_accessories

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 105 of 1,025
If your remote allows you to control your cable box, TV and A/V unit then I would definitely be in the market. Just trying to get back to one remote on the coffee table.
Thanks for the help.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 106 of 1,025

If you have a TV, cable box, AV receiver and some sort of disc player I HIGHLY recommend that you consider a 3rd party universal remote like a Harmony 650. Not only can a 650 easily control everything you have and get you down to one remote, the buttons are laid out and positioned much better than the XR2.

mkferrari wrote:
If your remote allows you to control your cable box, TV and A/V unit then I would definitely be in the market. Just trying to get back to one remote on the coffee table.
Thanks for the help.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 107 of 1,025

I found some good information on this thread.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/XR2-R2-Audio-Device-Codes/m-p/1550555/highlight/true#M9303

There are a few links to Audio Codes for the XR2 remote.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Contributor

Message 108 of 1,025

Vapadula,

What troubleshooting have you done so far and what results have you had so far? We are here to help get your remote issue resolved if possible.

ComcastLinda

Posted by
Visitor

Message 109 of 1,025

So my remote was working fine for a bit but suddenly it stopped working. well all but two buttons stopped working. I can use the volume and turn the tv off but I can't change channel or access any other things. I keep pushing buttons and the power button light keeps flashing red. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 110 of 1,025

HKBoston wrote:

So my remote was working fine for a bit but suddenly it stopped working. well all but two buttons stopped working. I can use the volume and turn the tv off but I can't change channel or access any other things. I keep pushing buttons and the power button light keeps flashing red. Any ideas on how to fix this?

when you press pause does an LED glow to right side of clock (showing remote input)? are you RF paired to that X1? If so it will only work with the box it is paired. To unapir (test that problem): find setup button and press until the top all power light changes to green, hit 987. At that point it is a standard IR remote made for your X1. Directions to pair them again is on the back of the X2 remote cover.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 111 of 1,025

Maybe the battery needs replacing?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 112 of 1,025

Boston

I would suggest to re-pair the XR2 remote to your cable box.  The directions can be found on the back of the remote

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 113 of 1,025
My problem is with my secondary X1 device. Every time i enter a command on my remote it does it twice. I have tried resetting the box and the remote but to no avail! Please help
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 114 of 1,025

On an X1 Companion box this is probably your solution...
http://forums.comcast.com/t5/X1/A-Fix-for-the-Search-Box-Popping-Up-By-Mistake/td-p/2355227

However you may have signal issues that need to be addressed. We need to remember that X1 are remotes are talking to the cloud...

Johns801 wrote:
My problem is with my secondary X1 device. Every time i enter a command on my remote it does it twice. I have tried resetting the box and the remote but to no avail! Please help

Posted by
Visitor

Message 115 of 1,025
Wow! So far so good thank you kindly!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 116 of 1,025

So every time I turn my tv off, the next time I turn it on the x1 remote can not use any other function than channel up/down and volume up/down. The only way i have found to fix this is to, every single time I turn my tv on, unplug the box and plug it back in basically resetting it. Then, once it goes through it's 5 minute start up, all functions again work on the remote (guide, last, etc). I have a sylvania tv (none of the codes work to pair but I'm not concerned about that). Please if anyone has a solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated since this issue poses an incredible inconvenience every time I want to watch tv.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 117 of 1,025

AKAQT wrote:

So every time I turn my tv off, the next time I turn it on the x1 remote can not use any other function than channel up/down and volume up/down. The only way i have found to fix this is to, every single time I turn my tv on, unplug the box and plug it back in basically resetting it. Then, once it goes through it's 5 minute start up, all functions again work on the remote (guide, last, etc). I have a sylvania tv (none of the codes work to pair but I'm not concerned about that). Please if anyone has a solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated since this issue poses an incredible inconvenience every time I want to watch tv.

does your tv have multiple hdmi inputs? i'd move it to another input (that hopefully has less 'features'. If that doesn't cure it, when the problem 'acts up' use TV remote to change to any other HDMI input. Then change back to the DVR and see if the handshake is successful. If so TV is the problem not the X1. On your TV see if you can turn off CEC usually under settings. There have been many threads reference CEC and the X1 seems to get confused when TV issues instructions to the X1.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Great Job! Your reply has been accepted. Thank you for helping and Congrats on your 1st Solution.

Message 118 of 1,025
Hello,

I made a stupid error. I was attempting to program the 30 second skip when I entered 0300 instead of 0030. Now, whenever I press the Xfinity button, the menu appears without the dark background. As a result, I can barely see the white text. Do you know how I can get the dark background back? I checked the settings device background setting, but it is currently at 7 and it works for all othe menus except when I first press the Xfinity button.

Thanks!
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 119 of 1,025

Hello

I actual have a ViZIO TV.  When I turn off and then back on the only buttons that work are  TV off and on, the Volume controls the pause play rewind and forward if the last thing I watch was a recorded show.

the Xfinisty button does not work.  the Guide button does not work, theA B C D buttons do notwork the number buttons do not work.

In order for them to work I have to constantly reset the X1 companion box.  Im not having any issues with my main X1DVR box which is also connected to VIZO TV.

I find it very strange that quite a few folks have voiced the same issues it seems for a year or so with no real sotution

I was told but customer service to unpair and then repair the remote but that was not even possible since the Xfinitity button is not working and the process did not unpair the remote

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 120 of 1,025

Sorry forgot the mention the handshake was not successful

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 121 of 1,025

AKAQT wrote:

For the life of me I can't remember the name, but there is a feature in your tv setting that needs to be turned off. Rickgr4 knows what it is called. It is trying to shut down the video on your stb every time you turn the TV off....

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 122 of 1,025

When it comes to X1, users should shut off any HDMI-CEC functions they can find in their TVs menus. Some companies call it HDMI control. Panasonic calls it Viera Link. Samsung call it Any Net.

Regardless of what it is called, all X1 users should go into the setup menus of their TVs and turn off any HDMI-CEC functions.

X1 boxes do not handle these commands and functions properly.

gotpizza wrote:

AKAQT wrote:

For the life of me I can't remember the name, but there is a feature in your tv setting that needs to be turned off. Rickgr4 knows what it is called. It is trying to shut down the video on your stb every time you turn the TV off....

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 123 of 1,025

Rick thank you ! You post every five minutes, so it was hard trying to find the post you made on this in the past...I think i scrolled trough about 10 pages of your post before giving up....

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 124 of 1,025

Im not a tech person so I have not idea what to look for.  IF you can remember the name please let me know.  About to cancel X1 after only a week.  Lover the interface and feature but from installation to today have been a nightmare

Thanks

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 125 of 1,025

I have 2009 and a 2008 ViZIO and I dont see any thing in the menu setting about HDMI CEC.  I have not problems with the main x1 DVR setbox which is attached to my older TV/  I only have the issue with the X1 companion box.  TV on the remote and all buttons work.  Turn is off and back on-  The buttons no longer work

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 126 of 1,025

Hello again. 

Just confirm with Vizio that my TV does not have CEC.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 127 of 1,025
‎10-28-2014 05:34 PM

I have 2009 and a 2008 ViZIO and I dont see any thing in the menu setting about HDMI CEC. I have not problems with the main x1 DVR setbox which is attached to my older TV/ I only have the issue with the X1 companion box. TV on the remote and all buttons work. Turn is off and back on- The buttons no longer work

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 128 of 1,025

However neither TV has CES and yet one works fine and the other doens not with I see by a few folks is the same issue

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 129 of 1,025

AKAQT wrote:

However neither TV has CES and yet one works fine and the other doens not with I see by a few folks is the same issue

In most cases I don't tell people about using the component video outputs, due to the fact the the arris model x1 doesnt have it. Like Andrew said Use that output, you will also have less issues going forward. 

Best wishes

Shane The Pizza Guy! 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 130 of 1,025

AKAQT wrote:

Im not a tech person so I have not idea what to look for.  IF you can remember the name please let me know.  About to cancel X1 after only a week.  Lover the interface and feature but from installation to today have been a nightmare

Thanks

Vizio default is CEC off. <vizio button> navigate to HDTV settings > press OK > "TV Settings">CEC Settings>
You may have one or 2 settings under that menu put both to "OFF"

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 131 of 1,025
AKAQT wrote:

In most cases I don't tell people about using the component video outputs, due to the fact the the arris model x1 doesnt have it. Like Andrew said Use that output, you will also have less issues going forward.

Best wishes
Shane The Pizza Guy!

This handshake issue has been with the secondary boxes only not the DVR

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 132 of 1,025

Andrew I always forget to ask if they are referring to the DVR or not! Thanks buddy!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 133 of 1,025

Please provide us with the EXACT and FULL model number of your TV....

AKAQT wrote:

Hello again. 

Just confirm with Vizio that my TV does not have CEC.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 134 of 1,025

looks like a good remote, but when can get get an admin to comment on the XR11 and when it'll be available (and when the backlit one won't cost $20 anymore Smiley Happy )

Posted by
Visitor

Message 135 of 1,025

Found my way here because I am totally peeved at the comcast remote issues on two of my sets. One tv started messing up while using the dvr. The remote would not stop the fast foward function and then the tv would start doing things "on it's own"...  

If tried to rest the setup with the tv and the remote and thta gets me nowhere, nor does unplugging the box. This box will allow me to do the set up procedure with the remote and confirms the code entered.... but still will not allow me to do anything but turn the tv off and on. No guide, entering a channel number, or using any other button on the remote.

The second set will only boot up to one channel ... the remote will not work at all except volume and on/off. If I try to set up the remote to the box it goes to the help screen (not the enter the code screen) and will stay there until the screen saver kicks in. Once that happens I have to reboot the box because the remote does nothing.

soooo MAD right now..... $300 a month cable bill and I get to watch the screen saver or mess around with the other tv that will only show one channel. 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 136 of 1,025

Sure sounds like you better call in and get a tech out. You have fixable issues.

Bearmeat wrote:

Found my way here because I am totally peeved at the comcast remote issues on two of my sets. One tv started messing up while using the dvr. The remote would not stop the fast foward function and then the tv would start doing things "on it's own"...  

If tried to rest the setup with the tv and the remote and thta gets me nowhere, nor does unplugging the box. This box will allow me to do the set up procedure with the remote and confirms the code entered.... but still will not allow me to do anything but turn the tv off and on. No guide, entering a channel number, or using any other button on the remote.

The second set will only boot up to one channel ... the remote will not work at all except volume and on/off. If I try to set up the remote to the box it goes to the help screen (not the enter the code screen) and will stay there until the screen saver kicks in. Once that happens I have to reboot the box because the remote does nothing.

soooo MAD right now..... $300 a month cable bill and I get to watch the screen saver or mess around with the other tv that will only show one channel. 

Posted by
Visitor

Message 137 of 1,025

on hold now

Posted by
Visitor

Message 138 of 1,025

Hello ComcastBrandon,

Why would I want to leave 4 cable boxes running 24 hours a day burning up electricity and running up my electric bill.  All the old cable boxes had the ability to be turned off it makes no sense that the X1 box is expected to be left on 24 hours a day 7 days a week.  I have already been given the suggestion to put the box into power save mode but this does not work because when I do that and try to turn the box back on it does not work and I have to unplug the box and re-sync everything which can take up to 10 minutes to do.  This is crazy that Comcast would think its customers would want to get these new X1 boxes and just leave them running 24 hours a day like that.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 139 of 1,025
Hi, I can't seem to locate the correct code for my external audio system. I've tried all the Xfinity generated codes I can find. Any suggestions?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 140 of 1,025

Maybe the XR5 will work for you.

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/x1-get-to-know-the-xr2-and-xr5-remote

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 141 of 1,025
No, that just gives info on how to program the remote. I'm looking for other code or codes that I can try to get this remote to work with my sound bar. Thanks!
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 142 of 1,025

Did you try the manual code search process? It is tedious but it's your only chance...

FYI, the XR2's support of soundbars is notoriously poor. You are probably out of luck unless you have a soundbar that responds to the same code that your TV does.

debw444 wrote:
No, that just gives info on how to program the remote. I'm looking for other code or codes that I can try to get this remote to work with my sound bar. Thanks!

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 143 of 1,025
Didn't see this thread:

Hi,

Need some help programming Sony home theatre dav dz170 with X1 remote. I have tried the guide on this website and while the remote flashes green it won't control the volume
Posted by
Visitor

Message 144 of 1,025

For me, the repairing instructions did not work until I depaired the device first....

Hold Setup until red

Press 987

Remote blinks several times

Posted by
Visitor

Message 145 of 1,025

I thought the XR2 remote was good until I discovered that there was no TV input button like there was on the prior Comcast silver remote. Its hard to believe that Comcast would bulk supply a remote without that key function. Does Comcast really believe that users do not have game consoles, DVD players, roku boxes or whatever that they want to use occasionally, even if most of the time we are watching live TV or on-demand  programming. The XR5 remote looks like it will do the job - but Comcast charge $20 for it from their store. Makes no sense to me that Comcast does not provide this feature on the supplied remote.  

Posted by
Visitor

Message 146 of 1,025

I cannot see a program while browsing the guide or see the mini guide. I can on two tvs, but not the one in my kitchen. Pressing the B button while in the guide does not work and pressing the right arrow while watching a program does not bring up the mini guide. Please help b/c very frustrated.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 147 of 1,025

RickGr4, Thank you so much, your instructions fixed my Hamony One/X1 issue. On another note, When I select an activity, it takes forever for my remote to be "ready". It displays "Starting Watch TV" forever. Is this a Power On Delay issue? Do I need to shorten it? (Ok, 'forever' is a little excessive.)

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 148 of 1,025

Yes the remote is delaying sending the input command to the TV.

With almost all of today's TVs, once you turn them on, they are not ready to receive any additional commands from the remote until the picture appears. Your Harmony remote is attempting to time how long that delay is based on settings in the software that can be adjusted. My two year old Panasonic plasma need 4 seconds of delay. My eight year old Panasonic plasma needs 8.5 seconds. My four year old Sharp LED needs 9 seconds.

Here is what you do: Grab the original remote for your TV and turn the TV off. Turn the TV back on and count how many seconds it takes before you actually see a picture. If your TV has any "eco" modes, turn them off. Then go into the Harmony software under DEVICES>YOUR TV>SETTINGS>ADJUST THE DELAYS (SPEED SETTINGS)>POWER ON DELAY and set that to the amount of seconds you counted when you turned on the TV. That will minimize how long the delay is.

The reason this is important is if the timing is wrong the Harmony will not properly switch inputs on the TV properly when you first turn it on.

Most of todays TVs can get by with 4 to 5 seconds of delay. However I remember some older Samsung DLP TVs that needed 23-24 seconds... LOL

Manta6624 wrote:

RickGr4, Thank you so much, your instructions fixed my Hamony One/X1 issue. On another note, When I select an activity, it takes forever for my remote to be "ready". It displays "Starting Watch TV" forever. Is this a Power On Delay issue? Do I need to shorten it? (Ok, 'forever' is a little excessive.)

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 149 of 1,025

You nailed it, again. Default was 20 seconds. Visio M class wanted 9. thanks, again!

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 150 of 1,025

Splendid. Happy to help...!!!

Manta6624 wrote:

You nailed it, again. Default was 20 seconds. Visio M class wanted 9. thanks, again!