New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Remote Control

SOLVED
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 451 of 1,025

Hi All

Forgive me if this has been aked 100 times but my XR5 TV cable box remote voice search function isn't working.  I have read through the mauals with no solutions.  I can use my phone as a voice control but don't always have my phone next to the TV.  Is there anything else I can try or is this remote just not working correctly?  Seems all other functions work as they should.

Thanks for whomever responds

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 452 of 1,025

Storm327 wrote:

Hi All

Forgive me if this has been aked 100 times but my XR5 TV cable box remote voice search function isn't working.  I have read through the mauals with no solutions.  I can use my phone as a voice control but don't always have my phone next to the TV.  Is there anything else I can try or is this remote just not working correctly?  Seems all other functions work as they should.

Thanks for whomever responds

If you are referring to the XR5 remote, it doesn't have voice support.  You need to go to your Comcast Store and ask for the XR11 remote.  You don't have to swap the XR5; you can keep it.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 453 of 1,025

Storm327 wrote:

Hi All

Thanks for whomever resp keep itonds

If you are referring to the XR5 remote, it doesn't have voice support.  You need to go to your Comcast Store and ask for the XR11 remote.  You don't have to swap the XR5; you can.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 454 of 1,025

I have a Sharp HT-SB30D Sound Bar and I cant seem to get it to connect with my new XR5 remote. I think I have tried all the possible Sharp codes but remote wont let me enter the ones that start with 2's and the ones that start with 3 don't seem to work either. Are there any other codes? Any suggestions?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 455 of 1,025

jrbates81 wrote:

I have a Sharp HT-SB30D Sound Bar and I cant seem to get it to connect with my new XR5 remote. I think I have tried all the possible Sharp codes but remote wont let me enter the ones that start with 2's and the ones that start with 3 don't seem to work either. Are there any other codes? Any suggestions?

See if this helps:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR5-and-XR11-quot-Voice-Remote-quot-Code-Lists/td-p/2550616

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 456 of 1,025

I'm having the same problem with my Yamaha receiver.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 457 of 1,025
Hey, that worked! Thank you so much. After inputting about 7 different codes provided in the online instructions without success, THIS method* finally worked to program the XR11 remote to control my Sony home theater (power/volume). Yay! Happy

*1. Turn on your TV and AVR.
2. Press and hold the Setup button on your remote until the status LED changes from red to green.
3. To search for a TV code, enter 9-9-1 on the remote. To search for an AVR code, enter 9-9-2. The status LED should flash green twice.
4. Press the CH ^ button repeatedly to search through the manufacturer codes until the device you are programming turns off.
5. After the device turns off, press Setup. The status LED on your remote should flash green twice. Press the TV Power button on the remote. If the device turns on, you have successfully programmed your remote.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 458 of 1,025

Thank you for those great detailed instructions.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 459 of 1,025

My remote will turn the tv on and off but won't change the channel, bring up guide, etc.  Spent an hour with online assistance trying everything they asked.  They sent me to get a new remote and cable box.  Brought it home, hooked up the box, programmed the remote.  TV screen is asking for account number and phone number, but no numbers come up when using the remote.  The remote will turn the tv on and off.  I have checked the batteries in the remote control, programmed it to my tv, and unplugged the cable box from the AC power outlet for a minute and then plugged it back in again. Still not working. Any other suggestions?

Posted by
Visitor

Message 460 of 1,025

Why doesn't my remote work.  Changed batteries and changed remote.  It turns the tv on and off and changes the volume. I see others are having the same problem.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 461 of 1,025

Djw1 wrote:

Why doesn't my remote work.  Changed batteries and changed remote.  It turns the tv on and off and changes the volume. I see others are having the same problem.

Does it change the channels on the set top box? If you hit the xFinity button does a menu appear?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 462 of 1,025

Same problem here.  TV froze up last week ordered a new box,  In the mean the guide went to "to be announced" without channel names either and is stuck at midnight.  Then last night the box stuck on one channel and the remote only turns the box on and off.  I get  a picture on the TV for about 30 seconds then it goes black if I try to change the channel.  I am positive it is something Comcast did and wont admit too.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 463 of 1,025
The exit exit exit 0030 works on the XR11 remote/X1 box. It just doesn't seem like it at first as the box thinks you're inputting a channel. Do the code, then test on a recorded show, you'll get a 30 sec Fwd , 15 sec Back on the page up-down. Makes the replay button duplicate... Repurpose that for???
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 464 of 1,025

Working with an XR11, using this proceedure I was able to get the remote to channel up and down but still can not get volume nor will the remote turn on/off the TV or DVR...

I've been dealing with this for over 3 months and about fed up....

Dish TV is looking better every day..

TIA

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 465 of 1,025

The remote will not turn off the X1 box. They are designed to stay on 24-7. If you can change channels but not power on the TV or change the volume that means you aren't using the correct code for your TV or you are doing something wrong in the programming.

Carefully read the first post in this thread. Follow the links if you need to. Also, there is a help video built into your X1 DVR.

You did not mention which brand of TV you had and how old it is...???

Sorry but I think you are doing something wrong...

schroeder6th wrote:

Working with an XR11, using this proceedure I was able to get the remote to channel up and down but still can not get volume nor will the remote turn on/off the TV or DVR...

I've been dealing with this for over 3 months and about fed up....

Dish TV is looking better every day..

TIA

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 466 of 1,025

The Roku is listed in the databases for both remotes yet they both return a no information found

when clicked on.  Why are they in the database if there is no code for them?  Well at least there is an input button on the new Voice Remote and then I have to switch to the Roku remote.

Mildred

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 467 of 1,025
None of the X1 remotes can control an additional "source" component so if Comcast is showing Roku codes for X1 remotes it is a mistake.

Unless Comcast has other X1 remotes coming that haven't been announced yet.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 468 of 1,025

Very useful information and thank you!

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 469 of 1,025

Thanks so much!  I tried every code for Sony (multiple times) and none of them worked. I did the 991 and channel up thing and it worked like a charm.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 470 of 1,025

what does your hdmi cable have to do with the remote and the tv.  the box isnt even involved in that connection

Posted by
Visitor

Message 471 of 1,025

anyone have suggestions on how to make an xr11 remote pair with a sony tv.  i have tried all the codes and only one of them manages to let me power off but not on and no volume control.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 472 of 1,025

Sony TV's use some of the oldest IR codes around and Sony TVs are very popular. If the X1 remotes did not have a code to run Sony TVs this forum would have lit up like a X-mas tree.

Sorry but I think you are doing something wrong... Maybe this will help:

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/XR5-and-XR11-quot-Voice-Remote-quot-Code-Lists/m-p/2550616#M73148

chepker wrote:

anyone have suggestions on how to make an xr11 remote pair with a sony tv.  i have tried all the codes and only one of them manages to let me power off but not on and no volume control.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 473 of 1,025
This may be a silly question, but can two remotes be paired against the same DVR?
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 474 of 1,025

I have three X1 remotes RF paired to all three of my X1 DVRs. If there is a limit to how many remotes can be RF paired, we don't know what it is.

SkyhawkDriver wrote:
This may be a silly question, but can two remotes be paired against the same DVR?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 475 of 1,025

Nothing happens when I push the 992 on my x11

Posted by
Visitor

Message 476 of 1,025

Mine just started doing the same thing. The little plug-in module behind the box flashes red when I press a button, but the box doesn't respond. I opened my Android app on my Samsung Note 4 and was able to change channels, etc.  So something's jacked up with the remote and/or the box. I changed batteries and rebooted the box, but no change.

I suppose I'll be taking it back tomorrow for a swap...???

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 477 of 1,025

Where did you get your "module" from??? Was it an official Comcast supplied XR8 adapter???

5galloncan wrote:

Mine just started doing the same thing. The little plug-in module behind the box flashes red when I press a button, but the box doesn't respond. I opened my Android app on my Samsung Note 4 and was able to change channels, etc.  So something's jacked up with the remote and/or the box. I changed batteries and rebooted the box, but no change.

I suppose I'll be taking it back tomorrow for a swap...???

Posted by
Visitor

Message 478 of 1,025

You may need to unpair the remote before it'll work with a new box.

1. Press the Setup button on the remote until the LED at the top of the remote changes from red to green.
  2. Press 9-8-7.
  3. The LED will blink green twice indicating that the remote has been unpaired.

(to re-pair the remote to the new box)

1. Press the Setup button on your remote until the LED at the top changes from red to green.
  2. Press the xfinity button on the remote. The LED will begin flashing green. (Note: When pairing an XR2 or XR5 remote to a DTA, you may need to press the xfinity button up to five times).
  3. Follow the on-screen pairing instructions to enter the three digit pairing code.
  4. Once the on-screen pairing code is correctly entered, your remote is paired with the set-top box.

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere/

Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 479 of 1,025

So I installed 1 Arris XG1 DVR and 3 Pace Xi3 companion boxes today. Everything is working smooth as expected EXCEPT the voice commands will not work on the Pace Xi3 companion boxes. and yes each of my 4 boxes have their own XR11 voice remote. Yes I've paired each remote to its own box per the instructions. Yes I can control the TV (and AVR) that each box is connected to. Again, no, the voice commands will not work for the Pace Xi3 companion boxes. Voice commands do work with the Arris XG1 DVR box.

The only thing of note I can mention is that sometimes when I am trying to setup a remote on one of the Pace Xi3 boxes I sometimes get an error on my Arris XG1 DVR that says the remote failed to setup and it asks if I would like to try again.

I don't know what my issue and I've tried "Googling" for help but haven't come up with a concrete solution to fix this or a reason why this is happening.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 480 of 1,025

The Xi3 must be in line of sight while you do this. Follow these steps:

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere/

DaFees wrote:

So I installed 1 Arris XG1 DVR and 3 Pace Xi3 companion boxes today. Everything is working smooth as expected EXCEPT the voice commands will not work on the Pace Xi3 companion boxes. and yes each of my 4 boxes have their own XR11 voice remote. Yes I've paired each remote to its own box per the instructions. Yes I can control the TV (and AVR) that each box is connected to. Again, no, the voice commands will not work for the Pace Xi3 companion boxes. Voice commands do work with the Arris XG1 DVR box.

The only thing of note I can mention is that sometimes when I am trying to setup a remote on one of the Pace Xi3 boxes I sometimes get an error on my Arris XG1 DVR that says the remote failed to setup and it asks if I would like to try again.

I don't know what my issue and I've tried "Googling" for help but haven't come up with a concrete solution to fix this or a reason why this is happening.

Posted by
Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 481 of 1,025

Everytime I paired each XR11 remote with its respective box I was pointin the remote at the very box I was pairing it to. I honestly don't know what else I could do differently.

RickGr4 wrote:

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 482 of 1,025

Is "Voice Control" turned on in Device Settings???

DaFees wrote:

Everytime I paired each XR11 remote with its respective box I was pointin the remote at the very box I was pairing it to. I honestly don't know what else I could do differently.

RickGr4 wrote:

Posted by
Visitor

Message 483 of 1,025

Yes, I saw this mention earlier in this thread and when I read that I did double check and yes Voice Control is turned on, on all 3 boxes. I shoud clarify that when I returned home this afternoon and started setting everything up. I plugged in the XG1 DVR assuming it would automatically boot up with no essential interruptions or questions. So when I saw this box starting to load up I began installing the Xi3 boxes. Those all loaded fine, but it turns out that because the DVR required a rehit the Xi3 boxes could access live TV yet. Once I dialed support and they sent a rehit to the DVR everything worked.

I don't know why that would matter but I thought I should be point out anyways.

RickGr4 wrote:

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 484 of 1,025

Glad it's working.

DaFees wrote:

Yes, I saw this mention earlier in this thread and when I read that I did double check and yes Voice Control is turned on, on all 3 boxes. I shoud clarify that when I returned home this afternoon and started setting everything up. I plugged in the XG1 DVR assuming it would automatically boot up with no essential interruptions or questions. So when I saw this box starting to load up I began installing the Xi3 boxes. Those all loaded fine, but it turns out that because the DVR required a rehit the Xi3 boxes could access live TV yet. Once I dialed support and they sent a rehit to the DVR everything worked.

I don't know why that would matter but I thought I should be point out anyways.

RickGr4 wrote:

Posted by
Visitor

Message 485 of 1,025

Sorry, I wasn't clear, everything except the voice commands on the Xi3 boxes are working.

I was mainly implying that the Xi3 boxes weren't working properly until a rehit was sent to the DVR. After the rehit was sent they instantly worked as expected. All of course, except, again, the voice commands.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 486 of 1,025

Your situation sounds unique. You may need to contact Comcast and register a trouble ticket. If this is an Xi3 bug, registering a trouble ticket may be your best bet.

You sound knowledgeable but I can't help but think you could be missing something simple. If this were a "Comcast bug" this forum would have lit up like an X-mas tree by now.

Just last week, Comcast had serious issues with the voice command server. It was down for the better portion of three days. This forum went crazy with complaints. Obviously Comcast fixed it.

I do not mean to offend you but I am starting to think you might be missing something fairly simple. You could always get a Comcast tech out to your house...

DaFees wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear, everything except the voice commands on the Xi3 boxes are working.

I was mainly implying that the Xi3 boxes weren't working properly until a rehit was sent to the DVR. After the rehit was sent they instantly worked as expected. All of course, except, again, the voice commands.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 487 of 1,025

Well it definitely seems that is the way I will have to go, although I would like to avoid having to have a tech come out because I know they like to usually charge you when they send a tech out. I'm not saying they'd do so in this specific case but I'd like to avoid that risk as much as I can.

It is currently late for me here on the east coast so if this issue doesn't magically sort itself out overnight I will definitely place a call into support tomorrow.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 488 of 1,025

I have been participating in this forum for almost two years. I have been a Comcast customer since the early 90's. If there is anything about this forum that amazes me, it is how hard new members will try to avoid paying for a service visit.

Comcast's policy about charging for service visits is consistant with every major telecom in this country. If the problem is Comcast supplied hardware they will cover it. If the problem is connections or signal up to the point of entry at your house they will cover it. If the problem is connections or wiring within your house you may be responsible depending upon what the tech finds. We own the wiring and connections within our houses and we are responsible for them.

That being said, I have never ever paid Comcast one single dime for repairs...

DaFees wrote:

Well it definitely seems that is the way I will have to go, although I would like to avoid having to have a tech come out because I know they like to usually charge you when they send a tech out. I'm not saying they'd do so in this specific case but I'd like to avoid that risk as much as I can.

It is currently late for me here on the east coast so if this issue doesn't magically sort itself out overnight I will definitely place a call into support tomorrow.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 489 of 1,025

You are right, I am confusing repairs with installations and you are also right that unless the issue is my fault the repair generally shouldn't cost us anything. Getting back to the real issue though, do you think it is possible the issue could be related to signal strength?

I don't know, off hand, what the signal strength of the Xi3 boxes is but I looked at the wiring recently and noticed that the line coming in from the outside is split into two. One split goes to the EMTA modem we have and the other split is further split 4 ways with each split going to each of the 4 boxes we have. The 2 way splitter says it outputs a 3.5db signal for each split and the 4 way splitter says it outputs a 7db signal for each split. Just to be clear with all this I've never had any issues with my service and this is how the tech set up when moved to our current location.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 490 of 1,025

DaFees wrote:

You are right, I am confusing repairs with installations and you are also right that unless the issue is my fault the repair generally shouldn't cost us anything. Getting back to the real issue though, do you think it is possible the issue could be related to signal strength?

I don't know, off hand, what the signal strength of the Xi3 boxes is but I looked at the wiring recently and noticed that the line coming in from the outside is split into two. One split goes to the EMTA modem we have and the other split is further split 4 ways with each split going to each of the 4 boxes we have. The 2 way splitter says it outputs a 3.5db signal for each split and the 4 way splitter says it outputs a 7db signal for each split. Just to be clear with all this I've never had any issues with my service and this is how the tech set up when moved to our current location.

The Xi3's are basically dumb terminals...  they borrow a tuner from the DVR, and in effect are communicationg all instructions to the DVR for action(s)...   I suspect that you may have MOCA communication issues internally between your Xi3's and your DVR....    once those issues are cleared up, your Xi3's will act normally....

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Visitor

Message 491 of 1,025

So it looks like the boxes just needed to be reset. I say this because over the night the boxes did reset themselves and when I checked them today the voice commands were working. So everything works now!

Posted by
Visitor

Message 492 of 1,025
This worked for me!! Thank you so much. We even called tech support and they didn't suggest this route. They really need to start using this to solve the pairing issues.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 493 of 1,025

try these codes one might work

Posted by
Contributor

Message 494 of 1,025

The  991 method gets my voice remote to turn off the Zenith 
TV I have during the programming on the 3rd channel up.  However it does not turn it back on or control it at all afterwards. Did this a few times.  Seems strange.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 495 of 1,025

I had the same issue with my Sony TV.  I was finally able to get it to pair using the 991 procedure, and making sure that after the TV turned off, I pressed setup and got two green flashing lights. Now it seems to work.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 496 of 1,025

I have only two things to say about this:

1. Thank you!

2. A question, actually: You say that the manual code search process is a "tedious process." How so? It worked instantly for me after following your 5 steps. And that was after spending a really tedious process entering one code after another to no avail, repeating a couple of different lists of codes fearing I had missed one. I spent a couple of hours doing that and looking for other solutions. But yours, the 991 solution, took less than a minute.

If there really is a 5-digit code for my Sony Bravia KDL-32XBR9 TV, I don't know what it is. But it doesn't matter. It works now.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 497 of 1,025

It went fast because you have a Sony and their remote codes are common. If you had an "off brand" TV it could have taken much longer before you found the correct code.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 498 of 1,025

The terminology is backwards. The "manual code search" (the 991 solution) worked automatically. The method prescribed in the manual, lists of 5-digit codes, keying in each one, trial and error (especially when it's all error as it was in my case), is tediously manual.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 499 of 1,025

I have the X11 remote and a Marantz nr1403. I can't get the remote to control the volume with the codes listed on xfinity site, 

Most likely code
30189 31972
Others to try
20081, 20035

What codes did you use?
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 500 of 1,025

jtpham,

I have a Marantz SR5008 and code 31972 works perfectly. Either you have a bad remote or you are doing something wrong in the programming steps.

PS. Comcast locations give away replacement remotes.
PSS. Codes that begin with a 2 do not work with the X1 remotes.

jtpham wrote:

I have the X11 remote and a Marantz nr1403. I can't get the remote to control the volume with the codes listed on xfinity site, 

Most likely code
30189 31972
Others to try
20081, 20035

What codes did you use?