Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Recording Stop Time Options on X1 -- Live vs Recorded

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 1 of 10

My favorite program "60 Minutes," which airs on Sundays at 7PM in Eastern Time zone, is often preceded by live sports event. Sometimes these events run overtime and sometimes by as much as an hour.  My old silver DVR cable box was recently replaced by an X1 and I attempted to schedule a series recording of “60 Minutes” with 60 minutes extra Stop Time. My new X1 box limits me to 30 minutes, and I also could not select just a channel and timeframe to record, as was possible with my old box.

X1 support website says, regarding Stop Time: “to modify - select between 1, 5 or 30 minutes late (options for live programming - 30, 60 or 90 minutes late).”

It makes no sense that all Stop Time options are not available for all programs. I need 60 minutes extra for my favorite program. It also makes no sense that I cannot select just a channel and timeframe to record as was possible with my old box. My last two recordings were cut off well short of completion.

This is frustrating and very disappointing, as there’s otherwise a lot to like about the X1 box.

Is there a workaround? Does Xfinity plan to fix this problem . . . or offer it in the Comcast Lab soon?

9 REPLIES
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 2 of 10

I get your frustration since there are shows on CBS on Sundays, after 60 Minutes, that I like to watch too. I've yet to find that the games go over 30 minutes. However, that being said, if the game does go over you can still watch the whole show On Demand. A little extra work to delete the recording then pick it up On Demand, but at least you won't miss anything.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 3 of 10

Thanks for commiserating. What you suggested, going to On Demand, is what I tried either an hour later or possibly the next morning. No dice. The latest episode was not available. Evidently there some delay before the latest episode is posted there. What it is I do not know.  I did see them from the previous week and older. It's an unacceptable situation to restrict Stop Time to only 30 minutes as far as I'm concerned, and this needs to be addressed by this vendor.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 10

Setting a recording for the next show-NCIS-will solve the problem.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 10
You can use either the online dvr manager or Xfinity TV remote app to change lengths of recordings

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Visitor

Message 6 of 10

Would you kindly elaborate on the specific steps I need to take to do those things -- use online dvr manager or Xfinity TV remote app to change lengths of recordings -- I'm new to this X1 box. Are you sure either will allow more than 30 minutes time extension to then be chosen for non-live programs?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 7 of 10

Sailor3333 wrote:

Would you kindly elaborate on the specific steps I need to take to do those things -- use online dvr manager or Xfinity TV remote app to change lengths of recordings -- I'm new to this X1 box. Are you sure either will allow more than 30 minutes time extension to then be chosen for non-live programs?

I apologize for the misinformation, the website and apps have changed recently and you can only add up to 30 minutes (used to be longer). 

Another option, with the guide up, use the left arrow to highlight the channel, press record and you can choose how long you want to record that channel on a specific day. Only drawback, theres no setting to make it recurring, so it would have to be done manually weekly

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 8 of 10

Sailor3333 wrote:

Thanks for commiserating. What you suggested, going to On Demand, is what I tried either an hour later or possibly the next morning. No dice. The latest episode was not available. Evidently there some delay before the latest episode is posted there. What it is I do not know.  I did see them from the previous week and older. It's an unacceptable situation to restrict Stop Time to only 30 minutes as far as I'm concerned, and this needs to be addressed by this vendor.

tbill1 had the best idea. Set a recording for NCIS and there's your extra 60 minutes if you need it.

Posted by
Visitor

Message 9 of 10

As I said, I feel the vendor needs to fix this extended stop time limitation. They're probably not paying any attention to what's be noted on these forums.

Looks like "set a recording for NCIS and there's your extra 60 minutes if you need it" would be a clumsy but useful workaround, provided however that NCIS always airs right after a late-starting 60 Minutes episode which is always aired in its entirety in Eastern time zone.

BTW, a very big negative of viewing prior episodes of 60 Minutes via On Demand is that fast forwarding is disabled.

Also, if recording a specifc channel (regardless of program) on a particular day and timeframe works (haven't tried it), it's really limiting not to have the option to set it to repeat.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 10

BTW, a very big negative of viewing prior episodes of 60 Minutes via On Demand is that fast forwarding is disabled. 

You can use the PG up button to bypass fast forwarding

With the remote you can change it to 30 second intervals by pressing exit 3 times and 0030

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.