Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Re: picture freezing a couple of times a week.

Regular Contributor

It's happening to me again, too. And this after we just went through a 3 month ordeal of signal issues and "area improvements".

Contributor

As of late Oct 2017, still hasn't been solved.

Service Expert

steveoregon wrote:

As of late Oct 2017, still hasn't been solved.

I have three X1 DVR's and none of them are freezing.  What is the model number of your box? (Settings>About)

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

New Poster

This is now happening to me several times a day (2 so far today, 3 yesterday), sometimes it resolves in less than a minute.

However, if it goes beyond that, I have to reboot all 3 boxes. Glad to see this issue discussed here - I will double-check all connections - one more time.

Then and if this keeps going, schedule a service call as well. 

Contributor

What is the model number of your box? (Settings>About)

Since my box is still doing this, might not be a bad idea:

IMG_0931.JPG

What I wrote on my box when I first got it:

IMG_0932.JPG

New Poster

So you are suggesting that the only fix for this is to have a Comcast tech come to the house. I know from experience that some idoit level 1 technition (if you can call them that) is going to call and declare that they know better than anyone and can fix it remotely. After rebooting the box it will go away and they will ask if the problem still exist. Of course it doesn't and the appointment is cancelled. Should you be able to convience them you still need a technition, Comcast will call 4 or 5 times to confirm the appointment and if you don't answer one of those times they will cancel the appointment! I even had Comcast tell me that they would call me to let me know when the technition was in the driveway!!! Really I need these idiots to tell me when someone is in my driveway!!! I have had technitions out 4 times already about this who found nothing! I have had my box replaced once, and the house rewrited once. Still the problem persist. Why don't you all fix the problem???

Service Expert

wrote:

What is the model number of your box? (Settings>About)

Since my box is still doing this, might not be a bad idea:.

What I wrote on my box when I first got it:

your STB version appears to be xg1v3 the label you showed was an xg1v1

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I am having the exact issue described in this thread.  It began a couple weeks ago and has happened about 4 times now.  

Very frustrating, and even moreso to realize that I have yet to see a successful resolution.

Regular Visitor

Having same problem.  Picture freezing once or twice a week after changing channel.  Just happened two days in a row.  Only fix is to boot X1 box.

Contributor

Still doing it occasionally on mine (once a week), March 16th, 2018.

Official Employee

Hi @smith805 and @steveoregon

Freezing and tiling issues are normally caused by poor signal levels. I'd like to review your accounts to see if I can help isolate the cause of your issues. Can you please verify your first and last name, and the phone number or account number associated with your services in a private message? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click private message me. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Contributor

ComcastChe,

I'm out of town, will contact you when I'm back in Oregon next week.

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem.  It is anonying.   When I click on your name I get the private message, but not able to fill in any text.

Contributor

ComcastChe (Comcast employee who frequents this forum) scheduled a tech visit for me, because he found some signal issues when looking remotely at my X1 box.  Today, the tech came out and replaced some cables under the house.  There are three places in our house that have either internet or TV, but there are only two lines that go to the outside. The tech wanted each of the three places in the house to have its own "straight" line to the outside, therefore a splitter was removed and some cables were replaced.  As for the problem, I won't know whether this fixed the issue for about 8 weeks due to its highly intermittant nature.  Sometimtes the problem occurs once a month, sometimes it can happen two days in a row.  If I don't see the problem in about eight weeks, I can conclude its been fixed. Will update this thread at the end of May.

Contributor

Unfortunately, six days later, the freeze occurred again.  So much for the "poor signal" theory.

I took another video and uploaded it to YouTube (as an unlisted video):

https://youtu.be/qHaLwYP03G0

Service Expert

@steveoregon wrote:

Unfortunately, six days later, the freeze occurred again.  So much for the "poor signal" theory.

that is a classic HDCP (encrypted video protection) problem where a handshake between devices in the path of the video failed. you can usually pull and reinsert one end of an HDMI cable and after 3 seconds hook it back up and it will start working again. can be a device issue, bad or low quality cable issue, or just a momentary communication issue. HDCP requires all HD to remain encrypted from the set top box to the TV and any failure  to verify connection is still secure causes the device to close video stream (the freeze). when the set top box is hooked up directly to the TV, you may not have the problem.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@steveoregon wrote:

that is a classic HDCP (encrypted video protection) problem where a handshake between devices in the path of the video failed. you can usually pull and reinsert one end of an HDMI cable and after 3 seconds hook it back up and it will start working again. can be a device issue, bad or low quality cable issue, or just a momentary communication issue. HDCP requires all HD to remain encrypted from the set top box to the TV and any failure  to verify connection is still secure causes the device to close video stream (the freeze). when the set top box is hooked up directly to the TV, you may not have the problem.

I will pull the pull the HDMI cable next time as an experiment.  However, I'm 99% certain that won't fix the issue. Why would a handshake ONLY fail within the first SECOND when changing to a different channel?  Also, remember, the "video" doesn't freeze, it's ONLY the initial screen (coming from the X1 box) that freezes after changing channels.  All the X1 overlays (guide, etc) continue to work (they NEVER freeze) - so the TV is getting exactly what the X1 box is sending it - in other words, the video SIGNAL is still getting to the TV OK. 

Contributor

Here's another YouTube video from someone else having the same problem.  As per all the comments to that video, no one has figured it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mcLE189DvQ

and another one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8sKY29JKa8

and here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN3hjGPbLY4

Regular Visitor

Had the same problem.  the set top boxes finily would not connect to the x1 box.  Called and had the tech come out. Just before the tech came out, I turned the tv's on, and had a signal.  

The tech said the connection from the street was low, but not to low.  He put in a new line to the house.  Then he checked the connections to the set top boxs ( I have two connected).  The tech decided to switch out the x1 box.  After he switched out the old box he said the signal to the set top boxes was much higher and that should help the freezing. 

It has been two weeks, and no freezing of the tvs connected to the x1 box. 

The main tv that ran off of the x1 box neved did freeze.

Regular Visitor

Same problem here.  New service cables, signal strengths check excellent, new Sony TV, new X1 box.  Works great except every couple days when you turn on the tv the picture is frozen.  The sound works, the guide works.  Only way to clear it, is a reboot.

Service Expert

@frichey1 wrote:

Same problem here.  New service cables, signal strengths check excellent, new Sony TV, new X1 box.  Works great except every couple days when you turn on the tv the picture is frozen.  The sound works, the guide works.  Only way to clear it, is a reboot.

If that happpened to me, the first thing I would try is to do a free swap of the X1 box either mailed to me or at my Xfinity Store.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

New Poster

I don't expect Comcast to ever admit this is a software issue directly caused by an update in late 2016 [EVERYONE started with static frozen image issue at the same time] because Comcast never admits fault, period. I DID expect that they'd have fixed the problem by now - they could have rewritten the X1 OS from scratch by now, let alone fix this one annoying bug. Then again who am I kidding - once had my entire subdivision [30+ homes] getting <.1Mbps upstream during the day for WEEKS yet all they wanted to do was check people's boxes. Wouldn't admit they were doing planned, intentional network maintenance even with 6 homeowners in one driveway all with the same issue lol...

The static image issue will NEVER be fixed until hardware and software are completely new somewhere in our distant future - it's just a rare and unfortunate 'feature'

One thing to do if you can remember - always make your first action a standard channel up or down. Of all the times I've had freeze, only once did it ever occur in a session started with Ch Up/Down.
Service Expert

@NuConcept wrote:
I don't expect Comcast to ever admit this is a software issue directly caused by an update in late 2016 [EVERYONE started with static frozen image issue at the same time] because Comcast never admits fault, period. I DID expect that they'd have fixed the problem by now - they could have rewritten the X1 OS from scratch by now, let alone fix this one annoying bug. Then again who am I kidding - once had my entire subdivision [30+ homes] getting <.1Mbps upstream during the day for WEEKS yet all they wanted to do was check people's boxes. Wouldn't admit they were doing planned, intentional network maintenance even with 6 homeowners in one driveway all with the same issue lol...

The static image issue will NEVER be fixed until hardware and software are completely new somewhere in our distant future - it's just a rare and unfortunate 'feature'

One thing to do if you can remember - always make your first action a standard channel up or down. Of all the times I've had freeze, only once did it ever occur in a session started with Ch Up/Down.

The bug may be caused by a specific combination of hardware/software/connection.  I have three DVR's and three XG2's and it has never happened to me.  If that is the case, I suspect it would be very difficult to recreate the bug in the Comcast test environment.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats