Welcome to Comcast Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: picture freezing a couple of times a week.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 1 of 48

My X1 picture has also frozen about six times since the beginning of December. 

The last time, I recorded the issue, then uploaded to YouTube as an unlisted video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Uj6YXIKbg

I'll schedule a service call later - if there is no known fix that doesn't take a tech.

47 REPLIES
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 2 of 48

Steve,

X1 boxes are extremely signal sensitive. When X1 boxes freeze is almost always a signal related issue. Very few X1 issues can be fixed remotely or over the phone. You are going to want that tech visit.

steveoregon wrote:

The last time, I recorded the issue, then uploaded to YouTube as an unlisted video:

I'll schedule a service call later - if there is no known fix that doesn't take a tech.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 3 of 48

steveoregon wrote:

Exactly my issue as well ... Happens almost once per day. This issue started early December for me.  My signal strength is SOLID (based on a technician Dx back in November. We only have 1 box in the house. No Splits except outside where the Spliter was Comcast-installed for Internet.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 4 of 48

I had the exact freeze problem happen to me yesterday (1/15/2017) for the first time. Started watching a recording through the DVR, picture froze on the screen yet the sound continued to play. Opened the Guide (and saw it on the screen) to change the channel. Could hear the channel was changed, but the picture remained frozen. Ended up pulling the power cord to reboot the box. All worked after that.

I only have one splitter in my line going to the gateway and the DVR. No other boxes. Been fine for the past 2 years, and all my signal levels still look good.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 5 of 48

HowAboutThisOne wrote:

I had the exact freeze problem happen to me yesterday (1/15/2017) for the first time. Started watching a recording through the DVR, picture froze on the screen yet the sound continued to play. Opened the Guide (and saw it on the screen) to change the channel. Could hear the channel was changed, but the picture remained frozen. Ended up pulling the power cord to reboot the box. All worked after that.

I only have one splitter in my line going to the gateway and the DVR. No other boxes. Been fine for the past 2 years, and all my signal levels still look good.

that rarely happens but my Vizio TV restarts  itself automatically. Based on other threads, I'm guessing that it is an HDCP handshake error and the TV has to enforce no HD.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 6 of 48

Exactly the same problem here, started sometime in December I believe.  Picture freezes (as if perfectly paused) every few days.  Changing to another channel only switches the channel audio to the new channel, same paused picture displayed on the screen.  Access to the channel guide and the x1 menu still works.  Trying to figure out if the problem is an x1 software issue, or if it's an HDMI cable issue, or a signal issue.  I don't think it's a signal issue as whenever I have checked my signal strength in the Comcast Labs section of the x1 menu, it always returns 'Good' (even when the picture is frozen on the screen).  The only fix for this at the moment is a complete Restart of the box, the restart initiated through the Help section of the x1 settings option.  This is becoming tiresome and would like to find the cause.  I am hoping a Comcast/Xfinity forums administrator can point me in the right direction. Thx

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 7 of 48

The signal meter in Comcast Labs is pointless. It tests for only a small fraction of the signals that are important to X1 boxes.

Repeating myself, the only person that can run a complete check on ALL CRITICAL X1 SIGNALS is a Comcast tech who is on site, at your house.

Suggest you have Comcast send a tech out so you can get a complete check.

bruiserbaresi wrote:

Exactly the same problem here, started sometime in December I believe.  Picture freezes (as if perfectly paused) every few days.  Changing to another channel only switches the channel audio to the new channel, same paused picture displayed on the screen.  Access to the channel guide and the x1 menu still works.  Trying to figure out if the problem is an x1 software issue, or if it's an HDMI cable issue, or a signal issue.  I don't think it's a signal issue as whenever I have checked my signal strength in the Comcast Labs section of the x1 menu, it always returns 'Good' (even when the picture is frozen on the screen).  The only fix for this at the moment is a complete Restart of the box, the restart initiated through the Help section of the x1 settings option.  This is becoming tiresome and would like to find the cause.  I am hoping a Comcast/Xfinity forums administrator can point me in the right direction. Thx

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 8 of 48
happend with my X1-P model starting sometime in Dec. went to local Comcast and exchaged for another box and got X1-A, problem solved.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 9 of 48

It should noted that if you swapped an Xi ? box for an XG1-A they are entirely different boxes and they connect to the X1  network differently.

pdoztn wrote:
happend with my X1-P model starting sometime in Dec. went to local Comcast and exchaged for another box and got X1-A, problem solved.

Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 10 of 48
sorry, you are correct i did swapped from XG1-P to XG1-A, i missed type the model number.
Posted by
Visitor

Message 11 of 48
Thanks for the YouTube video. I have the exact same issue and it started only a few weeks ago. It tends to happen when we try to stream a DVR recording. I use the restart option from the remote to fix it. Given how everyone is reporting that this started happening around the same time, I'd bet it was a software update that introduced this bug. Hopefully Comcast fixes this soon.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 12 of 48

Same problem here. Started about a month ago. Strange thing is when the main DVR box freezes, the smaller secondary DVR box still works.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 13 of 48
Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 48

@geek46 - If I click on the 'moved to' link you posted, I get this message:

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Was it really neccesary to move the topic? Now it can't be accessed.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 15 of 48

Rik11 wrote:

@geek46 - If I click on the 'moved to' link you posted, I get this message:

You do not have sufficient privileges for this resource or its parent to perform this action.

Was it really neccesary to move the topic? Now it can't be accessed.

Was it a duplicate of a previous post?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 16 of 48

Update: Since the issue has occurred many more times, I've been able to notice WHEN it occurs.  It ALWAYS occurs whenever I change channels - or go to a saved program.  For example, when changing channels, the very first screen that appears is the one that freezes. Or if I play a recorded show, the very first screen that appears is the one that freezes.  

Update Feb 9th, 2017:  I called Comcast tech support and the technician rolled back my X1 box to software version 2.5p12S1. (before December 2017 when this issue started).  You can find your software version by clicking on the gear icon (xfinity button), then scroll down to "about".  Then look for STB Version:  You will see something like "PX013AN_2.5p12s1".  Current version as of Feb 2017 will be closer to 2.7P25S1

I will report back in a couple of weeks to see if this seems to fix the problem.

The comcast tech said he's heard a few people having this issue, and rolling back the software seems to fix it. They still don't have an understanding of the issue because it's too intermittent.

UPDATE - see update further down in this thread.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 17 of 48

Steve,

Sorry to tell you this but any Comcast employee you would talk to over the phone has very limited diagnostic capabilities. They can't test for many critical X1 issues.

The only person that can fully test X1 issues is a tech who is actually onsite and at your house.

If you continue to have problems (I suspect you will) you are going to need to contact Comcast and have them send a tech out.

A rollback on the box firmware is a highly temporary fix. The box will automatically update to different firmware within a week or two.

steveoregon wrote:

Update: Since the issue has occurred many more times, I've been able to notice WHEN it occurs.  It ALWAYS occurs whenever I change channels - or go to a saved program.  For example, when changing channels, the very first screen that appears is the one that freezes. Or if I play a recorded show, the very first screen that appears is the one that freezes.  

Update Feb 9th, 2017:  I called Comcast tech support and the technician rolled back my X1 box to software version 2.5p12S1. (before December 2017 when this issue started).  You can find your software version by clicking on the gear icon (xfinity button), then scroll down to "about".  Then look for STB Version:  You will see something like "PX013AN_2.5p12s1".  Current version as of Feb 2017 will be closer to 2.7P25S1

I will report back in a couple of weeks to see if this seems to fix the problem.

The comcast tech said he's heard a few people having this issue, and rolling back the software seems to fix it. They still don't have an understanding of the issue because it's too intermittent

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 18 of 48

I first received X1 (Arris Dvr Box) late November 2016. Everything worked fine then in late December atleast once a day picture would Freeze (Live TV) only. Also it seems only to happen when Paging Up and down channels. I have to look and see what software version I'm using of Garden State, NJ system.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 19 of 48

I'm still seeing this issue as well. I even had Comcast out to check signal levels last week. The tech said its near perfect - my incoming signal level is at 0db on all 4 channels and my SNR is between 35 and 38. So, throw the signal level argument out the window.

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 20 of 48

Well, after 24hr hours, the issue occurred again. Rolling back the software didn't help.  I will call Comcast again next week - may wind up getting a new box.

I doubt a visit from a Comcast tech would help. You can't troubleshoot and verify the fix if you can't duplicate the issue (at the time the tech is there). 

Edit update Feb 13th.  I called Comast tech support again to let them know that rolling back the software did NOT work.  The issue occurred two more times in three days (after rolling sofware back to pre-December). They told me that they were aware of the issue - had engineering looking into it - but had no clear understanding of the root cause, yet.  Therefore, my only option was to live with the issue for now (they do not think replacing the box will fix it). I asked if there was any way that I would know if they had fixed the problem, he said "no", I would have to call back in the future and ask.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 21 of 48

I had multiple tech visits for this problem. One tech was even here while the picture was frozen. The problem still persists after rewiring (the signal levels are OK), changing the box, and changing the HDMI cable. The problem also started for me in December.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 22 of 48

Happened again Sunday ( 2/12/17) picture will freeze when Changing channels using paging up and down buttons on remote. Current software version I'm using is 27p1s1. With Arris Dvr AX013AN. Comcast needs to fix or roll back my software please.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 23 of 48
If this is an HDMI or HDCP issue people should be posting model information and age of the TV involved and how they are connected.

You would think if it was a handshake issue it would be a bigger problem with older TVs.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 24 of 48

Rik11 wrote:

I had multiple tech visits for this problem. One tech was even here while the picture was frozen. The problem still persists after rewiring (the signal levels are OK), changing the box, and changing the HDMI cable. The problem also started for me in December.

do you have another set top box available so you can swap boxes in the home to see if the problem moves with the box or stays with the TV?

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 25 of 48

steveoregon wrote:

Well, after 24hr hours, the issue occurred again. Rolling back the software didn't help.  I will call Comcast again next week - may wind up getting a new box.

I doubt a visit from a Comcast tech would help. You can't troubleshoot and verify the fix if you can't duplicate the issue (at the time the tech is there). 

Edit update Feb 13th.  I called Comast tech support again to let them know that rolling back the software did NOT work.  The issue occurred two more times in three days (after rolling sofware back to pre-December). They told me that they were aware of the issue - had engineering looking into it - but had no clear understanding of the root cause, yet.  Therefore, my only option was to live with the issue for now (they do not think replacing the box will fix it). I asked if there was any way that I would know if they had fixed the problem, he said "no", I would have to call back in the future and ask.

Yep .. !!  I stand by my assertion that this issue is a SOFTWARE issue.  Yes, intermittent (I get this about once per week as of late), but not a HARDWARE issue.  (sorry to the objection of the few here that firmly claim it is hardware related - my hardware (only 1 X1 box), gold HDMI connections, signal strength are rock solid.)

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 26 of 48
I thought this was fixed. Didn't happen for me for about 4 days but just happened again. Picture Frozen when Changing channels using Arris DVR.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 27 of 48

tstack wrote:
I thought this was fixed. Didn't happen for me for about 4 days but just happened again. Picture Frozen when Changing channels using Arris DVR.

Happened again to me today ( at about 12:45 PM EST) after not happening for a few days also. Was starting a recorded show on the DVR (which is when it usually freezes). Enough people in the forums with this problem seem to have normal signal levels confirmed by a tech, so this is likely not a signal problem. It also appears to have started in December for multiple people (including myself), and there was no problem before that time. I've had the X1 box replaced (from Pace to Arris), rewiring done inside and outside, new connectors put on, and HDMI cable changed. None of this has fixed the problem. Since this began in December for us, Comcast needs to determine what they did in December to cause this issue.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.

Message 28 of 48

Strongly agree with Cody21 that this is clearly a software issue, unrelated to signal levels.  If it were spotty signal levels, we would see it happen more often and with lots of different triggers (or it would likely happen without any user input).

This triggers for me when I am watching a DVR recording and use the page up button to fast forward five mintues.  Only happens maybe one in 50 times or so when I do that, so it's fairly rare.  Happens maybe 1-2 times a week.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 29 of 48

Does everyone posting in this thread have a MoCA filter installed and have they confirmed it is in the correct location?

Posted by
Contributor

Message 30 of 48

RickGr4 wrote:

Does everyone posting in this thread have a MoCA filter installed and have they confirmed it is in the correct location?

MoCA filter was installed here. I assume they would put it in the correct location.

I had techs also confirm it wasn't an HDCP HDMI handshake issue. They connected a test TV with RCA cables which lost the picture when the main TV (which was connected by HDMI) picture froze.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 31 of 48

Had a new variant of the problem tonight. The screen was blank with no video at all, but the sound worked (even when changing channels). The Xfinity menu screen wouldn't display either (it did display when the problem was the frozen image). Unplugging and replugging the TV and HDMI cable didn't help. After unplugging and replugging the X1 box, the picture came back. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 32 of 48

Rik11 wrote:

Had a new variant of the problem tonight. The screen was blank with no video at all, but the sound worked (even when changing channels). The Xfinity menu screen wouldn't display either (it did display when the problem was the frozen image). Unplugging and replugging the TV and HDMI cable didn't help. After unplugging and replugging the X1 box, the picture came back. Anyone else have this problem?

Same thing happened to me Sunday, same fix.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 33 of 48

Same issue yesterday-same fix

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 34 of 48

FYI ... and happy to report -- We have NOT had this issue since the Version 3/02  (1.72.07) Software update !!  Had been getting this problem 3-4 times per week since December -- seems to be resolved with this SOFTWARE updated. We made NO OTHER changes to our system/hardware.

Thanks COMCAST !!!

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 35 of 48

I'm on 1.73.01 3/07 and I just had this happen 20 minutes ago when I first turned my TV on for the day.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 36 of 48
I'm still having the Frozen screen problem. Picture/TV screen freezes when only changing channels with x1 dvr arris. My XRE server version is: 1.72.07 03/02/2017 19:20
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 37 of 48
1.72.07 is the "guide" version which resides Comcast's servers. It is highly unlikely that a change to the guide version would fix an issue such as this.

The STB version is the box firmware and solving an issue like this will most likely require a firmware fix.

HOWEVER it should be pointed out that Comcast has made many fixes to X1 the were not reflected by a version number change.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 38 of 48

Was hoping it was fixed as it hadn't frozen for 10 days, but it froze again tonight - so still not fixed.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 39 of 48

Just started happening to me this week, and has happening two days in a row.  For me, when I turn the TV on in the morning the TV picture is frozen ... one morning the audio was working, and this morning the audio was out as well.  It's only happened overnight.  I've got a new Arris AR AX013ANM that has great docsis signal levels via the diag page and comcast confirms my singals look good.  Also don't think it's a HDCP issue as I don't need to reset my box.  I just need to change the channel and it will start working again.  This started this week when along with a recent update to the software so I think some (obviuously not all) of the freezing issues may be related to the newer software update ... I know this newer update adds the ability to select when you want your daily updates/reboots pushed.

At the same time my X1 box stopped promting to delete recordings after watching, which others have seen this same issue this week

Posted by
Contributor

Message 40 of 48

The video freeze is happening more frequently again. I don't think Comcast is doing anything about it.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 41 of 48

Just to chime in, still having the Frozen picture/screen when changing channel during "Live TV". Happened again this morning. Is anyone else having issues on Garden State, NJ system? At this point it is not the TV. Had a Tivo Premiere hooked up for 8 years before X1 and had no freezes on screen when changing channels. I had X1 box replaced 3 time, Arris, Pace then Arris. 3 Tech visits so far, checked all the wires, installed a MoCA filter and they did something with the TAP. All signals are Great. At this point I think it's this MoCA causing the problem. X1 Nightmare

Posted by
Visitor

Message 42 of 48

I had this same problem. Set up a cheap household timer about 3 weeks ago to briefly interrupt the power daily at 3am, rebooting the box. So far so good.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 43 of 48

Another thing that triggers the video freeze is going to the Netflix app.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 44 of 48

The problem is getting worse. Video froze twice within an hour. The second time while watching a recorded program it just froze without doing anything. I don't think Comcast is doing anything about this issue.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 45 of 48

Do you know how to test your signal levels? It is discussed in this forum on a daily basis.

Anyone complaining about this issue cannot be taken seriously until their signal levels have been checked by an on site Comcast tech.

Rik11 wrote:

The problem is getting worse. Video froze twice within an hour. The second time while watching a recorded program it just froze without doing anything. I don't think Comcast is doing anything about this issue.

Posted by
Contributor

Message 46 of 48

RickGr4 wrote:

Do you know how to test your signal levels? It is discussed in this forum on a daily basis.

Anyone complaining about this issue cannot be taken seriously until their signal levels have been checked by an on site Comcast tech.

Rik11 wrote:

@RickGr4  - The signal levels have been checked multiple times by multiple onsite Comcast techs and are fine. I know by your numerous postings that you are convinced this is a signal related issue, but enough people have this problem with good signal levels, so maybe consider that it's something else causing the problem.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 47 of 48

Sorry but I don't agree... It would be more wide spread if the issue was systemic.

The techs you have had out are missing something.

Rik11 wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

Rik11 wrote:

@RickGr4  - The signal levels have been checked multiple times by multiple onsite Comcast techs and are fine. I know by your numerous postings that you are convinced this is a signal related issue, but enough people have this problem with good signal levels, so maybe consider that it's something else causing the problem.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 48 of 48
Just to add my 2 cents. I solved my X1 picture/screen TV freezes by purchasing a Tivo Bolt and have ZERO problems for 2 weeks now. I believe those X1 boxes are Refurbished. My signal is 100% strength according to my diagnosis for channels. My problem was I went cheap with cable company dvr. Never again.