New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Re: How to test signal strength on X1

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 40

I have a problem with my install.  I ran RG11 from the pole to my house and then RG11 from my house to the guest house.  Originally i had a lossless splitter and the RG11 running to the guest house was off that splitter.  There is a bedroom and a living room currently.  I tried putting another one of those splitters and it didn't work at all! So I was able to just put a splitter in the guest house but it was spotty at times.  So I went back to my home and I used a "traditional" splitter from the cable from the pole to my one lossless splitter and the other split goes to the guest home.  In the guest home I have the other loseless splitter.  On the splitter one XI3 works great.  The other doesn't work at all.  I ran a new RG6 to that box and it still doesn't work.  I replaced the box with a known working one and it too can't connect to my Xfinity experience.  I am at a total loss at this point as to what to do.  Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

39 REPLIES
Posted by
Contributor

Message 2 of 40

FYI lossless spliter =  no loss amp 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 3 of 40
The no loss amps don't pass Moca, so if you have 2,whatever's coming out of the 2nd amp can't communicate with what's coming out of the 1st amp.

What is on each port of the first amp?
What's the distance to the guest house?

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Contributor

Message 4 of 40
Guest house is a couple hundred feet away. What's moca. I have two no loss amps connected by a splitter. Why does one work but the other box doesn't?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 5 of 40

Moca is how the boxes communicate with the dvr. Those amps don't pass moca through, that's why anything off the second amp the dvr can't communicate with. I'll take a look at all the equipment you have and see what will work best.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 6 of 40

There are numbers given for moca and the majority of equipment is failing in that regard. You're probably lucky anything is working. Is your amp a 5 or 9 port and is anything on the VoIP port ( next to the input).

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 7 of 40
Keep in mind I have two amps. On one I have my cable modem. The other has nothing. I have more than 9 ports needed between the main house and then the guest house needs to split as efficiently as possible. Multiple amp splitters isn't possible?
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 8 of 40

Can you answer the above questions? It will help in getting your X1 working efficiently, the answers really matter.

Also include what model of amp is where, the answers really matter.

As stated above, no,multiple amps won't work.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 9 of 40

Out of the signals that can be checked 

Dvr -20

XG2 -8

DVR -15

Unrelated to X1, modem is -7

All shouldn't be less than -10 at the most, it's part of the reason your having issues.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 40
Posted by
Contributor

Message 11 of 40

earlier you posted a picture of the 9 port amp - that is what I have.  PPC Evo1-9--u

Not sure whast other questions you asked that haven't been answered?

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 12 of 40

heffneil,

PLEASE have Comcast send a tech out. I don't think you understand enough of what is going on here to fix this yourself and if you have long coax cable runs that is only complicating the situation.

heffneil wrote:
Keep in mind I have two amps. On one I have my cable modem. The other has nothing. I have more than 9 ports needed between the main house and then the guest house needs to split as efficiently as possible. Multiple amp splitters isn't possible?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 13 of 40

heffneil wrote:

earlier you posted a picture of the 9 port amp - that is what I have.  PPC Evo1-9--u

Not sure whast other questions you asked that haven't been answered?

Is every outlet, other than guest house, homeran to the amp?

Is the modem split in a room with an X1 box. 

Is anything on the VoIP port?

You may need a tech, only because you ran your own drop? How far is it from pole to house that you needed RG11?You have no idea what you are starting with in regards to signal levels. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 14 of 40

Every line is a home run to the Amp.

The modem is off the VOIP port on the first Amp since it is a VOIP Modem from you guys

The run is long I mean a couple hundred feet from the pole to my home.  Its aerial then becomes buried but I put a pipe from the pole to the house so I could replace the old RG6 with the RG11.  It would be great to get a hard line to the pole? Smiley Happy

Signal strength is questionable I guess?  

Is the return on the dual Amps certainly my problem since it won't allow one of two boxes on the guest house to work?  Still can't explain why one works but the other does?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 15 of 40

heffneil wrote:

Every line is a home run to the Amp.

The modem is off the VOIP port on the first Amp since it is a VOIP Modem from you guys

The run is long I mean a couple hundred feet from the pole to my home.  Its aerial then becomes buried but I put a pipe from the pole to the house so I could replace the old RG6 with the RG11.  It would be great to get a hard line to the pole? Smiley Happy

Signal strength is questionable I guess?  

Is the return on the dual Amps certainly my problem since it won't allow one of two boxes on the guest house to work?  Still can't explain why one works but the other does?

You probably need a tech out not only to verify levels but change the whole drop to RG11. 

Heres something to try 

On the amp

Port 1- DVR

Port 2 line that feeds the guest house

Port 3-8, in order put the longest outlet to the shortest outlet in distance from the amp

In the guest house use the XG2 and Xid

This way the tuner that the XiD won't have to travel back and forth to the main house and back. The XiD will get the tuner it needs from the XG2.

If all lines are homeran and there's absolutely no other splitters, in my opinion there's something wrong with the cable in your house. All you have to do is look at your modem levels, they are decent when you count the loss on the VoIP port. But the 2 DVRs and XG2 have garbage levels. All X1 equipment need an absolutely clean signal to work properly and they're not getting it.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 16 of 40

Whole drop is RG11 FYI.

I have my modem on port 1 of the first amp.  Can I use a second Amp with the first at all?

Moving the XG2 will limit the number of tuners in the main house once I move it correct?  I could run out theoretically?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 17 of 40

heffneil wrote:

Whole drop is RG11 FYI.

I have my modem on port 1 of the first amp.  Can I use a second Amp with the first at all?

Moving the XG2 will limit the number of tuners in the main house once I move it correct?  I could run out theoretically?

No (again) to second amp.

If you don't move it,the guest house may not work, it doesn't hurt to try. Which do you want more? Tuners or guest house to work? Theoretically, you could depending on how much you record. Really, I can't emphasize it any more that you have something wrong with the cable in your house and could really use a tech visit

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 18 of 40

To give you an idea how bad your boxes are communicating the table attached is your equipment, all numbers should be over 220 and the higher the better. As you can see, some equipment isn't even close

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
IMG_0254.PNG
Posted by
Contributor

Message 19 of 40

Is that from my actual home?  Thats cool.  I spoke with the guy at PPC as well.  He suggested a drop amp in the middle of the line leading to the home to see if we can boost things.  In the meanwhile I took your advice and moved the XG2 to the guest house and it and the secondary box over there are working now.  Can we try to get someone to build out a larger line to the pole in my property or make the tap "hotter"?  

Thanks for all your help it is much appreciated!

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 20 of 40
The problem isn't your signal to the house because your modem is good. Your modem uses the same frequencies as the X1boxes. There's something in your house

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 21 of 40

You can see how much difference was made, just moving the one box.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
IMG_0255.PNG
Posted by
Contributor

Message 22 of 40

Can you help me understand why moving a box would make a difference?  Also can you let me know if there is some way I can test these numbers as I move stuff around?  Moving this one box improved things but what else can I do to improve signal quality then?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 23 of 40

heffneil wrote:

Can you help me understand why moving a box would make a difference?  Also can you let me know if there is some way I can test these numbers as I move stuff around?  Moving this one box improved things but what else can I do to improve signal quality then?

FYI, I had an issue with one of my X1 DVR's and I didn't know about it until the tech came out and found that I had a 6' coax extension that needed to be replaced.  The tech replaced it with her coax and the signal was up to spec.

Before that, a tech came and replaced ALL my coax wall connections to all six X1 boxes to improve signals.  

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 24 of 40

heffneil wrote:

Basically

As stated above, the boxes NEED a good moca connection. The XiD's needed to be able to talk to either the XG2 and DVRs and the way that you had it set it up, the house and guest house were too far away to get a solid connection. Moving the XG2 to the guest house made it easier for the other XiD to communicate, it only had to talk to the XG2.

You still should have a tech out to troubleshoot why your signal levels are so low in your house.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 25 of 40

The other XID doesn't work again!  im getting a RDK-03053 error 

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 26 of 40
That's a poor signal error message.

Ready to have a tech out yet?
Posted by
Contributor

Message 27 of 40

Yeah - Andrew can you schedule that for me?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 28 of 40

I can't, but I'll get you to someone who can.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 29 of 40

I scheduled an appt on Sunday! I hope to get this resolved but my distances are great and I just don't know if I can ever get things to work!

Posted by
Contributor

Message 30 of 40

Andrew if possible could you re-poll my numbers like you have done previously?  I made a bunch more changes and want to see how it has affected everything.  Right now everything work well.  In correcting everything I did notice that my modem was behind the no loss amp if that matters - it wasn't on the passive port.

Highlighted
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 31 of 40

heffneil, I'm seeing a few signal issues coming from your cable boxes and some T3 timeouts on your modem. Looks like there might be an upstream ICFR issue which usually has to do with outdoor wiring. The tech will be able to assess the situation further. I'll check in with you once the appointment completes. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 32 of 40

Adding to Ken, there was hardly any difference than what it was before. The moca might be worse. I would see if your tech can get you another XG2 to swap for an XiD. Best of luck to the tech that goes out!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 33 of 40

So the tech came out and he was very good.  It took him quite some time and he got things in to a marginal level by using a drop amp before the PPC.  We installed a DVR in the guest house and a filter so everything over there would act somewhat independently from what we are using in the main house.  The other boxes were trying to reach the tuners on the main house and we coudln't direct them to run of the XI2 (which then was replaced with the DVR).  Seems like everything is "ok" although my levels are still on the iffy side but I am not sure with the length of my connections it could be made better.  I believe the only correction would be a hard line build to the helper pole to reduce the loss from the RG11 running across the street.  I don't know if that is possible or who could evaluate that as a possible option?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 34 of 40
Re: any additional build and any cost associated with that-that would've been something to discuss with the tech who was out yesterday.
The negative to adding a filter to the guest house dvr- it will see recordings made at the main house but won't be able to access them . And vice versa, recordings made at the guest house will be seen on the list in the main house but no access available.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 35 of 40

We were trying to make them act like two separate homes so that the information wouldn't be shared between them.  This filter we thought was similar to what you guys use to isolate homes from their neighbors?

This tech was great but had no idea how to contact the proper people to assess the build of a hardline across the road... Again I don't know who should be contacted about this, I will get no where with the call center.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 36 of 40
That's not how it works.The X1 is a whole home system, that's why it was better to leave the XG2 in the guest house.
The tech could've contacted his supervisor for additional information.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 37 of 40

Well the tech is gone so now what do I do?  Can you check your levels from your side?  The DVR should provide us with tuners on that side as well.  There is no way to get an XID to actually connect to a particular box?

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 38 of 40

heffneil wrote:

Well the tech is gone so now what do I do?  Can you check your levels from your side?  The DVR should provide us with tuners on that side as well.  There is no way to get an XID to actually connect to a particular box?

adding... you might want to make the guest house use TiVo with its own companions. that way it would be separate. The 330 foot MoCA leg maximum can be a real issue as it gets near the limit. 

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 39 of 40
You'll have to have another tech out to put you in connection with the right people, whether it's their supervisor or the construction department. That's the proper and quickest channel.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor

Message 40 of 40

Seems like a truck roll for this would be costly and unnecessary.  Perhaps you could reach out to the supervisor from your end for him to contact me?