Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

RDK-03036 Error on XiD-P (PXD01ANI)

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

RDK-03036 Error on XiD-P (PXD01ANI)

Hello everyone. I've read most of the posts regarding this error ahead of time and someone always chimes in with "send a tech out". I'll ask anyway. We changed our plan to a double play plan after paying separate for tv and internet. I was told by the service rep to turn in our legacy HD boxes for X1. We turned them in today at the store. We were told legacy was no longer supported. We received an X1 box with an X1 mini player as mentioned in the title. I've tried it now on 3 different activated outlets and they all received the same error. RDK-03036. These outlets worked well with legacy and never had pixelated graphics or signal issues.

I work in IT, I know MoCA very well. So well I currently have a MoCA network in this house. I have 4 actiontec ecb2500c's which then go to a few smart TV's, an Apple TV and a roku. The MoCA network works great. No stutter. On the side of the house we've got the drop coming in which goes to a 4 way splitter, one of those gets split into a 3 way splitter. No amplifiers. On the drop, when setting up the MoCA network I put a filter on the drop, as requested by Comcast to not send signals outside the house on the coax. I have tested the actiontec adapters on every outlet and verified connection. 

That being said, here we stand with this RDK-03036 error on the X1 mini. I've already called tech support and after a nice 37 minutes wait, they sent refresh signals to our house multiple times. Each time the main X1 box responded as it should, rebooting and coming back up. Not so with the Mini.

Sorry for the long post, but 2 concerns:

1) will I need to get rid of my current MoCA network for this?

2) assuming there's a truck roll required, what are the chances the box is bad? How can my MoCA network be working fine but this one isn't?

Thanks to anyone in advance who reads this.  I am more than happy to provide any further information or pictures of my setup.  Sorry for the incorrect grammar, I am typing this on an iPad.

-Ryan

Accepted Solution

Re: RDK-03036 Error on XiD-P (PXD01ANI)

To wrap up, I went to the Comcast service center and was initially told I couldn't have 2 XG2's in the same house. They then talked to a tech who said yes I could. They gave me an XG2v2-S (Samsung model), and it works great!

Hope this serves as a lesson for those with an existing MoCA network in place. Skip the XiD-P altogether and get an XG2 (or other model).

Thank you everyone for your help.
-Ryan
View answer in context
Tags (1)
IMG_2739.JPG
Gold Problem Solver

RDK-03036 is a MoCA error message. Your Xi-D box can't see your DVR across the wiring in your house but it needs to in order to operate. Yes, your existing MoCA network could be causing the problem. It appears that X1 boxes don't share MoCA very well.

You could swap the Xi-D for an XG2 (same price) which would allow you to watch live TV but you would not be able to watch recordings until you figured out the MoCA problem.

rwkarr85 wrote:

Hello everyone. I've read most of the posts regarding this error ahead of time and someone always chimes in with "send a tech out". I'll ask anyway. We changed our plan to a double play plan after paying separate for tv and internet. I was told by the service rep to turn in our legacy HD boxes for X1. We turned them in today at the store. We were told legacy was no longer supported. We received an X1 box with an X1 mini player as mentioned in the title. I've tried it now on 3 different activated outlets and they all received the same error. RDK-03036. These outlets worked well with legacy and never had pixelated graphics or signal issues.

I work in IT, I know MoCA very well. So well I currently have a MoCA network in this house. I have 4 actiontec ecb2500c's which then go to a few smart TV's, an Apple TV and a roku. The MoCA network works great. No stutter. On the side of the house we've got the drop coming in which goes to a 4 way splitter, one of those gets split into a 3 way splitter. No amplifiers. On the drop, when setting up the MoCA network I put a filter on the drop, as requested by Comcast to not send signals outside the house on the coax. I have tested the actiontec adapters on every outlet and verified connection. 

That being said, here we stand with this RDK-03036 error on the X1 mini. I've already called tech support and after a nice 37 minutes wait, they sent refresh signals to our house multiple times. Each time the main X1 box responded as it should, rebooting and coming back up. Not so with the Mini.

Sorry for the long post, but 2 concerns:

1) will I need to get rid of my current MoCA network for this?

2) assuming there's a truck roll required, what are the chances the box is bad? How can my MoCA network be working fine but this one isn't?

Thanks to anyone in advance who reads this.  I am more than happy to provide any further information or pictures of my setup.  Sorry for the incorrect grammar, I am typing this on an iPad.

-Ryan

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the quick response Rick.

We don't have or pay for a DVR anyway, so sounds like another "big" box would be the way to go. I'd really prefer to not take down my existing MoCA network (the actiontecs are very expensive, power line is not reliable, and running cat6 cable would be $3k according to one estimate).

I guess have a tech come out? I've got the XiD-P plugged in with the failure screen. I've seen some people say they've left it on overnight and it magically works. I just don't understand how my MoCA network works but theirs doesn't. (I'm getting solid speeds through MoCA.)

Thank you,
-Ryan

Gold Problem Solver

Hmmmm,

The Xi boxes do not have tuners. They "borrow" tuners from X1 DVRs. Simply put, an Xi box cannot work unless there is an X1 DVR in the house.

The XG2 is a unique box. It has four tuners but no hard drive. In theory could function as a "cloud only" DVR but Comcast has chosen to not implement it that way.

If you want X1 service but you don't want a DVR (wondering why because DVR service is the highlight of X1) then the XG2 is the box you want.

rwkarr85 wrote:
Thanks for the quick response Rick.

We don't have or pay for a DVR anyway, so sounds like another "big" box would be the way to go. I'd really prefer to not take down my existing MoCA network (the actiontecs are very expensive, power line is not reliable, and running cat6 cable would be $3k according to one estimate).

I guess have a tech come out? I've got the XiD-P plugged in with the failure screen. I've seen some people say they've left it on overnight and it magically works. I just don't understand how my MoCA network works but theirs doesn't. (I'm getting solid speeds through MoCA.)

Thank you,
-Ryan

Frequent Visitor

That must be our problem. We have an XG2v2-P. No DVR. So why were we given an Xi box? What a waste. I looked up our account and we're on double play preferred with a 2 year agreement, but I don't know if it's X1. I was told when we got a new plan they phased out legacy hardware. Sounds like I'll get another XG2v2-P.

-Ryan
Gold Problem Solver

Well,

An Xi box should borrow a tuner from the XG2 and function properly. Something in the wiring of your house is preventing the Xi box from seeing the XG2.
Frequent Visitor

I've done some research on Broadband Reports and Reddit. Long story short, it appears to be an issue with the the Comcast box and the Actiontec MoCA adapters clashing over the coax. I'd like to not have to pick and choose between a stable streaming video experience and using X1. X1 is very slick, the XG2 works great. It would be best if Comcast had a solution that didn't use MoCA for those of us with an established network. Or maybe if they could use a different frequency. This is where I'm not sure if a truck roll would be beneficial. You seem well versed, what would you do?

Thank you,
-Ryan
Gold Problem Solver

Simple. Replace the Xi box with another XG2. Same price.

rwkarr85 wrote:
I've done some research on Broadband Reports and Reddit. Long story short, it appears to be an issue with the the Comcast box and the Actiontec MoCA adapters clashing over the coax. I'd like to not have to pick and choose between a stable streaming video experience and using X1. X1 is very slick, the XG2 works great. It would be best if Comcast had a solution that didn't use MoCA for those of us with an established network. Or maybe if they could use a different frequency. This is where I'm not sure if a truck roll would be beneficial. You seem well versed, what would you do?

Thank you,
-Ryan

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Rick. Really appreciate it! We'll swap it out.

Thank you,
-Ryan
Contributor

I was given an XiD-P in a box marked DTA to function as a HD DTA for my Limited Basic account.

It tunes the local (but still encrypted) channels just fine and there is no DVR to borrow from in this house.

It certainly has at least one tuner.

IMG_0943-sani.jpgThe bottomIMG_0935-sani2.jpgDTA-prepped XiD-P, photo cropped for filesize

Service Expert

jwf-98136 wrote:

I was given an XiD-P in a box marked DTA to function as a HD DTA for my Limited Basic account.

It tunes the local (but still encrypted) channels just fine and there is no DVR to borrow from in this house.

Do you have other set top boxes in the home or a comcast rented modem?

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Youve got the proper equipment, its and XiD-DTA. It's independent of any boxes. 

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Just to update everyone on my situation, I let my XiD-P sit overnight and it still has the same error. It's very frustrating, and would like to have been advised the X1 equipment uses MoCA to communicate, as that's what I use for a wired network in my house. ComcastAndrew, do you know or anyone else know if X1 can somehow "share the road" with an existing MoCA network? I'd hate to have 2 boxes with 8 tuners total for 2 TVs. Way too much overkill to me. But if two XG2's are my only choice, I'll roll with that I guess.

Thank you,
-Ryan
Official Employee

rwkarr85 wrote:
Just to update everyone on my situation, I let my XiD-P sit overnight and it still has the same error. It's very frustrating, and would like to have been advised the X1 equipment uses MoCA to communicate, as that's what I use for a wired network in my house. ComcastAndrew, do you know or anyone else know if X1 can somehow "share the road" with an existing MoCA network? I'd hate to have 2 boxes with 8 tuners total for 2 TVs. Way too much overkill to me. But if two XG2's are my only choice, I'll roll with that I guess.

Thank you,
-Ryan

If you do a search above for moca , you'll see what other users have done with moca networks and X1 platform. 2 XG2's may be your only way to go.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Gold Problem Solver

X1 boxes are known to not play well with other devices in regards to MOCA.

There was a recent thread where another user was able to make it work. I believe he had to adjust the channels or frequency range the MOCA was using.

You may want to search the forum for that thread.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks to both of you. I did see others have had success changing frequency. I know it's none of my business, but if I knew what frequency X1 used I'd set all of my network devices to avoid it. I just got on all 4 MoCA adapters and changed the frequency from 1100 MHz to 1500 MHz. I've tested that the adapters still work and are rock solid. I just rebooted the XG2 and it's back up working well. Giving it about 15 minutes and I'll try the XiD-P. Thanks again. I'm just curious now if I can get it to work. If not, another X2 it is. Either way, I'll be ok. :-)

I'll update everyone here soon.

Thank you,
-Ryan
Gold Problem Solver

XG2 and XiD are the same price.

XG2 is a better box. Why question that?
Frequent Visitor

No dice. I hate it when stuff doesn't work. Thank goodness I don't use a DVR. I'm just a tad annoyed. And frankly I have almost no faith in a truck roll on this, as the last 3 techs that came out I knew more about their system then they did. So another XG2 it is. I was going to replace an old HD DTA but with the headache this has been I'll either keep it or go the Roku app way. Learned a new rule: don't get X1 if you have an existing MoCA setup.

Thanks everyone.
-Ryan
Official Employee

Yeah unfortunately a truck roll was a waste of time, mainly because Comcast doesn't support or troubleshoot your personal moca network.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Contributor

Rustyben wrote:

jwf-98136 wrote:

Do you have other set top boxes in the home or a comcast rented modem?

There's a motorola cablecard I stuck in an InfiniTV 4, otherwise no other comcast devices.

You can call it an XiD-DTA, but the sticker on the bottom says XiD-P with that PXD01ANI model number so if there's any difference, it's probably just firmware and an SD card stuck inside.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks and I understand that, but my devices are fine. It's the Comcast XiD-P that's not working. Unfortunately if I have to choose between a stable 4K Netflix/Amazon picture (4K needs more stable bandwidth than wifi can provide), and some box (it's a glorified dumb terminal into the XG2) that I was forced to use, I'm going for stable data 100 times out of 100. I'm sorry for insulting X1; I'm not going to switch or anything like that, because your internet is fantastic and the X1 interface is slick. But as suggested I'll just skip the XiD-P and get another XG2. Hopefully I don't need to haggle to get another XG2, the guy at the local Comcast store was adamant I needed an XiD-P. All I want, is to be able to watch live tv with on demand. It's not rocket science, lol.

Thank you,
-Ryan
Frequent Visitor

To wrap up, I went to the Comcast service center and was initially told I couldn't have 2 XG2's in the same house. They then talked to a tech who said yes I could. They gave me an XG2v2-S (Samsung model), and it works great!

Hope this serves as a lesson for those with an existing MoCA network in place. Skip the XiD-P altogether and get an XG2 (or other model).

Thank you everyone for your help.
-Ryan
Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation