Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Prevent Xfinity box from turning itself on occasionally in the middle of the night?

Frequent Visitor

Prevent Xfinity box from turning itself on occasionally in the middle of the night?

Occasionally, the xfinity cable box, which I always keep in power save mode, takes itself out of power save mode in the middle of the night. How can I prevent this from happening?

Service Expert

Re: Prevent Xfinity box from turning itself on occasionally in the middle of the night?

hepcat72 wrote:

Occasionally, the xfinity cable box, which I always keep in power save mode, takes itself out of power save mode in the middle of the night. How can I prevent this from happening?

All X1 boxes recycle automatically every night.  There is a Setting for when it happens.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/x1-power-preferences/

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Prevent Xfinity box from turning itself on occasionally in the middle of the night?

First, I discovered I was imprecise in my description of the problem this morning.

Here's why I was imprecise: I leave the stereo on all the time because I mix audio from the cable box and other sources that give me audio reminders. That way, I get my reminders regardless of whether I'm watching tv or not. It also allows me to use "Hey Siri" and hear responses through the stereo, regardless of whether the tv is on or not. (Think "Alexa" connected to my stereo.)

I put the cable box in power save mode last night and the tv woke me up this morning because it had started sending audio to the stereo all on its own. I posted above while laying in bed, listening to the tv, annoyed that the cable box had woken me up.

I had assumed that it had gone out of power save mode on its own. It doesn't usually do that. Usually, it stays in power save until I turn on the cable box. I.e. This doesn't happen every night as you suggested. (I read that updates and stuff happen while in power save and should not take the system out of power save mode.)

But when I got down to the tv downstairs, the teal green power light on the corner of the cable box was *not* illuminated. I hit the power save button once, the light came on, and the audio continued. I hit the power save mode button a second time and both the light and the audio turned off.

I think that the system had actually gone (partially?) out of power save mode, since I could hear the audio, but the power light was not on. Weird.

Anyway, I've been thinking... I discovered recently that I can watch all my content via the xfinity website, pretty much the same as what I get from the cable box, so since I have a computer as a part of my entertainment center, the cable box seems rather redundant. And since I am having trouble with it, I might as well disconnect it, and return it and the remote (the remote won't even put the box in power save). I mean, I cannot use the system the way I want to use it, and since I can watch tv via the website, that doesn't have the annoying power save and audio issues, it seems like I don't need the cable box.

I assume I'm paying some equipment fee for the rental for the cable box. How much would I save if I returned it?
Service Expert

hepcat72 wrote:
First, I discovered I was imprecise in my description of the problem this morning.

Here's why I was imprecise: I leave the stereo on all the time because I mix audio from the cable box and other sources that give me audio reminders. That way, I get my reminders regardless of whether I'm watching tv or not. It also allows me to use "Hey Siri" and hear responses through the stereo, regardless of whether the tv is on or not. (Think "Alexa" connected to my stereo.)

I put the cable box in power save mode last night and the tv woke me up this morning because it had started sending audio to the stereo all on its own. I posted above while laying in bed, listening to the tv, annoyed that the cable box had woken me up.

I had assumed that it had gone out of power save mode on its own. It doesn't usually do that. Usually, it stays in power save until I turn on the cable box. I.e. This doesn't happen every night as you suggested. (I read that updates and stuff happen while in power save and should not take the system out of power save mode.)

But when I got down to the tv downstairs, the teal green power light on the corner of the cable box was *not* illuminated. I hit the power save button once, the light came on, and the audio continued. I hit the power save mode button a second time and both the light and the audio turned off.

I think that the system had actually gone (partially?) out of power save mode, since I could hear the audio, but the power light was not on. Weird.

Anyway, I've been thinking... I discovered recently that I can watch all my content via the xfinity website, pretty much the same as what I get from the cable box, so since I have a computer as a part of my entertainment center, the cable box seems rather redundant. And since I am having trouble with it, I might as well disconnect it, and return it and the remote (the remote won't even put the box in power save). I mean, I cannot use the system the way I want to use it, and since I can watch tv via the website, that doesn't have the annoying power save and audio issues, it seems like I don't need the cable box.

I assume I'm paying some equipment fee for the rental for the cable box. How much would I save if I returned it?

Do you have other set top boxes (DVRs/companion)? The stream TV is part of that service so if it is your only set top box your stream access would cease. Comcast does offer stream TV in various markets (no set top box), you would have to call 800-Comcast and select billing to determine change in pricing on returning set top box(es).

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I have an El Gato EyeTV Hybrid, which turns my computer into a DVR, but I haven't tried it with the cable because I read that it doesn't work with Xfinity.  I currently have it connected to a digital antenna.  I tried looking into a newer EyeTV product for xfinity, but they don't make them.  Other than that, I don't have a DVR.  Though I do occassionally use the pause button on the cable box.  I haven't tried pausing yet on the website, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work.  I'll explore the functionality and take it into consideration.

But all I'd like to do is keep paying for cable TV and use my computer to access content (the way I currently can) and return the cable box.  I don't know what "stream TV" refers to precisely in this context, but it sounds like after returning the cable box, I will still be able to use my computer/iPad/iPhone to access content the way I currently can. If I understand you correctly, since I'm not using a DVR, there's no problem with doing this.

Service Expert

hepcat72 wrote:

I have an El Gato EyeTV Hybrid, which turns my computer into a DVR, but I haven't tried it with the cable because I read that it doesn't work with Xfinity.  I currently have it connected to a digital antenna.  I tried looking into a newer EyeTV product for xfinity, but they don't make them.  Other than that, I don't have a DVR.  Though I do occassionally use the pause button on the cable box.  I haven't tried pausing yet on the website, but I'm guessing that wouldn't work.  I'll explore the functionality and take it into consideration.

But all I'd like to do is keep paying for cable TV and use my computer to access content (the way I currently can) and return the cable box.  I don't know what "stream TV" refers to precisely in this context, but it sounds like after returning the cable box, I will still be able to use my computer/iPad/iPhone to access content the way I currently can. If I understand you correctly, since I'm not using a DVR, there's no problem with doing this.

what is the model number of your cable set top box?

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I don't have that info handy at the moment, but it did it again this morning! This must be a new behavior as of some recent update. We've had this thing for about 4 months now and it never did this before (start up the audio in the middle of the night with the power light remaining out).
Frequent Visitor

XG2v2-P. Still happening. It happens every night now. Didn't used to do this! So annoying.

Service Expert

hepcat72 wrote:

XG2v2-P. Still happening. It happens every night now. Didn't used to do this! So annoying.

One possibility is a loose coax connection SOMEWHERE from entry to residence to STB.  Reseat all connections.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

I think it's way more likely that a software update caused this behavior. If the behavior was more random instead of in the middle of the night every night at the same time, I might suspect a loose connection, but that's not the case here. This is happening with an extremely regular periodicity.
Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation