Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Poor Picture on 4K TV

New Poster

Poor Picture on 4K TV

So I recently installed the Samsung un65mu9000. The picture looks fantastic using the Apps on the TV along with anything from the Xbox One S.

However the picture looks worst than on my 8 year old 1080p Samsung. I am using the Xfinity X1 box using HDMI to connected directly to the OneConnect. I have tried two different HDMI cables. I have set the output of the X1 Box to 720p, 1080i, 1080p with no change. I have even tried a different X1 box.

I have used the settings from rtings with no change.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/mu9000/settings

 

I was expecting for the picture to be the same, if not better, than the old TV.

 

I am told this is due to Comcast's compression.

Problem Solver

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

Since Comcast has been switching from MPEG4 from MPEG2 there are only a handful of 1080i channels left on their linear cable. That would include your local 1080i channels they supply on your local cable. The 1080i is still sent out in MPEG2, and all the rest in MPEG4.

 

It is much harder for your 4K television to upscale from 720p to 4K than upscaling from 1080 to 4K. For a 1080 picture 25% of the pixels on a 4K screen are real data saved when filmed full HD, so the remaining 75% are synthesized to fill the screen. For a 720p picture only 12% of the pixels on a 4K screen are real data and the remaining 88% need to be synthesized to fill the screen.

 

As for your picture; Comcast may still be in the process of conversion in you service area which could cause part of the problem. Once you get used to using all your television's settings (including "advanced") you can inprove on the signal received by your television. If you live in a metro area and use your antenna you may see an improved picture for 1080i channels versus the Comcast cable version.

 

On your Samsung TV push the source button on the remote while watching any channel and push the select button. The top line on tv screen will show the signal ouput from the cable-box in a second or two.

Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


MNtundraRET wrote:

Since Comcast has been switching from MPEG4 from MPEG2 there are only a handful of 1080i channels left on their linear cable. That would include your local 1080i channels they supply on your local cable. The 1080i is still sent out in MPEG2, and all the rest in MPEG4.

 

It is much harder for your 4K television to upscale from 720p to 4K than upscaling from 1080 to 4K. For a 1080 picture 25% of the pixels on a 4K screen are real data saved when filmed full HD, so the remaining 75% are synthesized to fill the screen. For a 720p picture only 12% of the pixels on a 4K screen are real data and the remaining 88% need to be synthesized to fill the screen.

 

As for your picture; Comcast may still be in the process of conversion in you service area which could cause part of the problem. Once you get used to using all your television's settings (including "advanced") you can inprove on the signal received by your television. If you live in a metro area and use your antenna you may see an improved picture for 1080i channels versus the Comcast cable version.

 

On your Samsung TV push the source button on the remote while watching any channel and push the select button. The top line on tv screen will show the signal ouput from the cable-box in a second or two.


I note that in your post you didn't state 1080p nor 1080i. had the p(rogressive) been used you would be absolutley correct, but with the 'i(nterlace) it is not true as 1080i is equivalent to 540p but with very noisy and motion added artifacts (fuzziness of motion). 

Problem Solver

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

Rusty:

 

You are talking about Comcast's way of outputing the signal. There's the problem. OTA picture for 1080i channels is just fine on a Samsung 65 inch curved UHD television. There is no problem with either on my Cisco RNG150  N cable-box. Problem is X1 cable-box(s) related.

 

Yes; the 1080i signal is output in two frames (540p since each half of "REAL" data forms the final 1080 signal. A 1080i picture has never been inferior OTA, or past cable, to a 720p picture. Not on older 1080p televisions or on UHD televisions now.

 

I should have added that the 720p picture is not much better for sharpness than a 480p picture. They just added the extra pixels of the SD (4:3 screen) to fill out the (16:9 screen). A 1080p picture has more than double the pixels of a 720p picture.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

I just bought the 65" Sony Bravia XBR65X900E and I have the same problem. NONE of the channels really play well. Virtually all seem to be way over enhanced, making them jerky to watch. Can anyone here tell me if there is actually a solution using any of the settings, or do I need to switch away from ComCast?

Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


glaucus1 wrote:

I just bought the 65" Sony Bravia XBR65X900E and I have the same problem. NONE of the channels really play well. Virtually all seem to be way over enhanced, making them jerky to watch. Can anyone here tell me if there is actually a solution using any of the settings, or do I need to switch away from ComCast?


what is your device settings resolution output? 

Regular Contributor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

i just purchased the same TV and have the same complaint. Cloud DVR looks the worst. 

Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


Tek wrote:

i just purchased the same TV and have the same complaint. Cloud DVR looks the worst. 


how are you watching the cloud DVR to make that observation?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

How would I find that?

Regular Contributor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

You can tell when a recording is being streamed in the cloud vs. the HD of the DVR. A small icon of a CLOUD shows by the episode title when you press the down arrow on your remote. 

 

I had recordings restored to my box from the cloud so I have some of these.

Regular Contributor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

Any updates?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

glaucus,
I just bought the 65x900e and am having the same issue. Have you found any way to make Comcast look good on the TV?

Sorry if I haven't read far enough done to find the answer, I have been trying desperately to make this TV look good on cable for 5 days and just can't..
Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


@Octonaut81 wrote:
glaucus,
I just bought the 65x900e and am having the same issue. Have you found any way to make Comcast look good on the TV?

Sorry if I haven't read far enough done to find the answer, I have been trying desperately to make this TV look good on cable for 5 days and just can't..

do you have a Netfilx subscription with 4K service? If so, when you play titles are you shown 4k versions of titles? is your output set to 2160?


Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

Yes, I have Netflix and watch that via the app on the TV. The problem just seems to be with live TV itself, I can't find picture settings that make it look good. I used a calibration disc in my bluray player for all my other inputs and they look great... It's just the signal from the box when watcing live TV, that looks terrible.
Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


@Octonaut81 wrote:
Yes, I have Netflix and watch that via the app on the TV. The problem just seems to be with live TV itself, I can't find picture settings that make it look good. I used a calibration disc in my bluray player for all my other inputs and they look great... It's just the signal from the box when watcing live TV, that looks terrible.

i don't see an answer about 4k offerings being seen in the X1 app for Netflix. do they show up? that is the way you can find out if the 4k is being passed on to your TV. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

That I do not know, but it was my understanding that Comcast does not broadcast live TV in 4k.... So whether Netflix via the cable box does seems irrelevant, unless I am wrong about Comcast broadcasting in 4k...
I am trying to find the correct settings for watching broadcast tv, not streaming Content, that works fine via the apps on the TV and via my bluray player..
Unless there are hidden settings on the x1 box I am unaware of, there seems to not be much the box can do...
Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


@Octonaut81 wrote:
That I do not know, but it was my understanding that Comcast does not broadcast live TV in 4k.... So whether Netflix via the cable box does seems irrelevant, unless I am wrong about Comcast broadcasting in 4k...
I am trying to find the correct settings for watching broadcast tv, not streaming Content, that works fine via the apps on the TV and via my bluray player..
Unless there are hidden settings on the x1 box I am unaware of, there seems to not be much the box can do...

yes trying to help you do the same. if the x1 Netflix app is accessing a 4k capable netflix account the display of 4k titles on entflix says your set top box is properly passing 4k signals to your TV. if not, the set up for 4k is not successful.  If you don't want to verify netflix how about Olympics On-demand 4k (voice search "4k"). you are correct no live 4k at this time.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

When I try to access the Olympics 4k content, it says  "Unfortunately , your TV Box isn't compat2."

"To watch, your TV Box must be 4k UHD capable"

Highest resolution for in XG1 box is 1080p 60HD....

Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


@Octonaut81 wrote:

When I try to access the Olympics 4k content, it says  "Unfortunately , your TV Box isn't compat2."

"To watch, your TV Box must be 4k UHD capable"

Highest resolution for in XG1 box is 1080p 60HD....


we might be narrowing down the problem. what is the model number of the DVR that is connected to the 4K tv? should be an xg1v4 (only 4k set top box at this time).

Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

XG1-A is what is one the cable box front of the box..

Is there some place else I should look.

Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


@Octonaut81 wrote:

XG1-A is what is one the cable box front of the box..

Is there some place else I should look.


does it have a clock and round power button on the front? if so, it is not the latest version 4 of the xg1 and that is why you are not able to view the 4k programming. the price is the same and the cloud DVR will have your last 60 hours or so or you can keep that one and watch it till it is empty then return it. (rental charge will apply during that time). 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV

Yes it has the clock and round button

Expert

Re: Poor Picture on 4K TV


@Octonaut81 wrote:

Yes it has the clock and round button


do you wish to have a Comcast official employee look into ordering a 4k replacement set top box? (same price per month)?