Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Placement of New Set-Top Boxes

New Poster

Placement of New Set-Top Boxes

I am replaceing the digital converter  box on the TV in my bedroom.   The TV is mounted on the wall and the original converter box was mounted on the wall behind the TV.  The original converter box came with a short antenna wire that dropped down to allow the signal from the remote to communicate with the converter box.   The new Set-Top box that I received has no auxillary antenna to faciltiate contact between the remote and the converter box.   Will this new Set-Top box work properly if I install it in the same location as was the old converter (on the wall behind the TV)?     Or in other words, does there need to be a direct line of sight between the remote and the new Set-top box?

Service Expert

Re: Placement of New Set-Top Boxes

wrote:

I am replaceing the digital converter  box on the TV in my bedroom.   The TV is mounted on the wall and the original converter box was mounted on the wall behind the TV.  The original converter box came with a short antenna wire that dropped down to allow the signal from the remote to communicate with the converter box.   The new Set-Top box that I received has no auxillary antenna to faciltiate contact between the remote and the converter box.   Will this new Set-Top box work properly if I install it in the same location as was the old converter (on the wall behind the TV)?     Or in other words, does there need to be a direct line of sight between the remote and the new Set-top box?

that antenna was probably an IR receiver. the new X1 set top boxes (other than rng150) have full RF aim-anywhere remotes. the xi3 and xiD boxes are very small and fit behind a tv etc on the wall without a problem.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

Re: Placement of New Set-Top Boxes

wrote:

Once you pair the remote to the X1 box, if there's room, place it behind the tv. Did you enter a 3 digit onscreen code during the installation process? If so, the box is RF paired.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation