Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Pixelation/choppy image and sound/stuttering

Frequent Visitor

Pixelation/choppy image and sound/stuttering

I've been having issues on and off with the picture and sound distorting while watching live tv, and playing recorded programs from DVR. This only affects one TV and it's usually only a few channels, however it isn't all the time. While trying to narrow down the problem, I thought signal might be the issue and the way the cable was run into the house. We have 2 TVs (one X1 and one X1 companion) and 1 modem. Cable comes to the house and is split 3 ways in the exterior box, and is routed along the exterior of the house to the modem and X1 companion using newish looking cable. The main tv with the X1 box is run through the attic using old RJ59. The main X1 is the only thing that gives us trouble, so I'm assuming it's the RJ59. Before cramming myself into the attic to run new cable, I thought I'd ask for input here. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Official Employee

Re: Pixelation/choppy image and sound/stuttering

@jered6323 wrote:

I've been having issues on and off with the picture and sound distorting while watching live tv, and playing recorded programs from DVR. This only affects one TV and it's usually only a few channels, however it isn't all the time. While trying to narrow down the problem, I thought signal might be the issue and the way the cable was run into the house. We have 2 TVs (one X1 and one X1 companion) and 1 modem. Cable comes to the house and is split 3 ways in the exterior box, and is routed along the exterior of the house to the modem and X1 companion using newish looking cable. The main tv with the X1 box is run through the attic using old RJ59. The main X1 is the only thing that gives us trouble, so I'm assuming it's the RJ59. Before cramming myself into the attic to run new cable, I thought I'd ask for input here. Any suggestions/thoughts?

You've got a lot of issues going on

The dvr and unrelated to X1, your modem uses a range of upstream and downstream signals to operate properly. As well as a stat called ICFR.

Presently, your dvr and modem are way out of range on everything and your secondary box is coming back unresponsive.

I would have a tech out to:

Check your drop coming to the house

Upgrade your modem (it's old and there's better models)

Swap out the RNG150 for an XiD (more functionality)

Possibly run RG6 instead of the RG59

If you need assistance setting up a tech visit, let us know.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

I was afraid the answer might be something like that. I bought new RG6 and will be running that today since I'm off work, hopefully that will make some improvement. The secondary box is unplugged right now due to rearranging some furniture.

That was going to be my second question, equipment age. All of my equipment is 4 years old or so. I was going to ask if it would be worthwhile to upgrade my X1 and companion boxes, as both of them are original X1 equipment when X1 came out in my area.

What kind of price would I be looking at for a tech visit?

Official Employee

You’re only charged if it’s something interior wiring related, not for equipment or outside related. That’s why I was specific about the tech checking outside and swapping equipment.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Oh ok, gotcha.

So I was able to run most of the new cable yesterday. New RG6 has been run from the exterior box into the attic, where the splitter has now been relocated, then new cable runs from there to the modem and companion box. I still need to run the new line to the main X1, but I was able to remove a few weak spots from the current cable (2 compression fittings that basically fell off when I touched them, an unnecessary splice/connection, and a few really sharp bends) that seem to have made things a little better in the meantime. Do my signal levels look any better/worse now, and should I still have a tech come out?

Official Employee

@jered6323 wrote:

Oh ok, gotcha.

So I was able to run most of the new cable yesterday. New RG6 has been run from the exterior box into the attic, where the splitter has now been relocated, then new cable runs from there to the modem and companion box. I still need to run the new line to the main X1, but I was able to remove a few weak spots from the current cable (2 compression fittings that basically fell off when I touched them, an unnecessary splice/connection, and a few really sharp bends) that seem to have made things a little better in the meantime. Do my signal levels look any better/worse now, and should I still have a tech come out?

Yes you should, all of your equipment is still out of spec. I've escalated up to a colleague to help schedule one for you.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Official Employee

jered6323-- I would be happy to schedule a technician for you. Can you verify your account information for me? 

To protect the privacy of your account, please send me a private message verifying the first and last name on your account, street address including city, state, and zip code (apartment number if one on the account), and the full account number or phone number associated with your services. To send a private message click on my name, then click private message me.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation