Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

Picture is Pixilated. Xfinity Contractor tells me "that's normal."

Frequent Visitor

Picture is Pixilated. Xfinity Contractor tells me "that's normal."

Hello. I made complaints that I have pixilated/blurry HD channels. It's more noticeable on sports games like soccer or football.  But it does happen on every channel regardless if it's a sports game or not. It happens on two different cable boxes. I have attached two photos to show you the quality I get.  These are photos taken of a soccer game and of a football game on two different television sets. The soccer game is using an Xi5 wireless cable box, set to 1080p, on a Samsung 4K UHD HDR tv upstairs a few feet away from my Xfinity Gateway (remember this is a wireless connection and it's super close; no reception problems).  The football game is using an X1, set to 1080p, downstairs on a 4K UHD Sony Bravia.  Well after troubleshooting my complaints with Xfinity chat, they sent a 3rd party xfinity contractor over to my house.  After showing him the pictures and letting him see the picture quality for himself, he says "I see what you mean" and attempts to resolve the issue. After running several tests and switching out cable boxes, he tells me that everything is working perfectly and that there's nothing wrong.  He then takes his own picture of a sports game on my tv and sent it to his boss.  His boss says sports games just get that way. It's normal his boss says.  He then asks me if I want his boss to come out that same day. It's still morning so he has time to come out. I said yes I do want him to come.  Well his boss never showed and never followed up with a phone call apologizing he couldn't make it. I was super polite with the contractor so it really baffles me as to why I never got a follow up. This was yesterday on Monday, 9/18/2017.  So now I have an unresolved issue and I figured the forums are my next step.

Soccer Game on Xi5: https://imgur.com/01VihIk
Football Game on X1: https://imgur.com/8nInbio

Is this really "normal"? Can an Xfinity rep follow this up for me? Thanks.

Regular Visitor

Re: Picture is Pixilated. Xfinity Contractor tells me "that's normal."

We had that too. But we ended up having to buy HD to get rid of it. It was like watching with rabbit ears. I bet it has something to do with your HD signal

through cable/box.

Frequent Visitor

@Igconover

We have HD on our Triple Play and the contractor tested both the cable that goes to the Gateway upstairs and the cable directly from the box in our garage. Both had strong signal.  We have a Triple Play package.  X1 and Xi5 rentals (the Xi5 installed 3 days ago) with a few hundred channels including all premium channels, Blast Internet with a Gateway rental, and phone (which we don't use).  

Official Employee

Hi Liitj, apologies for your experiences when trying to watch TV are you still experiencing pixilation on both of your cable boxes?

Thank you

Frequent Visitor

Hello. I'm sorry for not replying to this earlier.  I stopped checking this thread after not seeing a Comcast reply after several days.  In response to your question, ComcastPhill, yes it's on both televions and both boxes (the X1 and the Xi-5). As mentioned above I gave you examples from both boxes (Soccer Game on Xi5: https://imgur.com/01VihIk Football Game on X1: https://imgur.com/8nInbio).

Well I had a tech 4 come out today, Sunday 10/15/2017. Mike Hill came out. He provided excellent customer service.  He said that another comcast employee had the same issue as me with his picture quality. It's because I have newer 4K television sets (one is a Samsung HDR UHD and the other is a Sony Bravia UHD).  He said both of my boxes do not have 2.0 HDMI's going from them into the televions.  He said Comcast does not supply those 2.0 cables and when they install cable boxes they haven't been telling customers that they're not getting the best cables for their specific tv (in this case the wrong HDMI cables).  He said to go buy 2.0's for both of my devices.  He also switched out my X1 with the new 4K HDR (which is surprisingly much slimmer than the regular X1).  He said only Netflix will come in 4K right now, because the 4K channel line up has not been released.  He said that with the 2.0 HDMI's my picture on both tv's from both boxes should improve quite a bit. Until I get those cables, the picture will still look grainy/fuzzy.  

Frequent Visitor

So I installed the UHD 4K HDMI's this morning.  There is absolutely no improvement in the picture quality, even with the 4K HDR playing Netflix that is supposed to be 4K.  I selected a variety of HD cable channels as well and there was no improvement.  I guess Comcast Cable just doesn't look all that great on high end big screen UHD televisions.  And if you ask if there's a problem with my televisions: NO.  Here's why: I'm comparing the picture quality to that of my PS4 plugged into the same televisions.  There's a massive difference. There is no graininess/pixilated-ness on PS4 games and they look stunning.  And yes I'm comparing 1080p games, not 4K HDR games (the HDR games do look breathtaking btw).    

Official Employee
Moved: