Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

PiP or PoP Setup

Frequent Visitor

PiP or PoP Setup

With the old cable system, I was able to set up PiP and PoP by just using a spliter and running one output to cable box and one directly to TV.  This no longer seems to work.

I called XFinity Tech Support and when I asked about how to set up PiP with a Vizio TV that is capable of PiP or Pop the tech asked me "what is PiP".  I asked if there was another tech that I could talk too and he stated, "yes there is one sitting next to me and he doesnt know what PiP or PoP is."   That is when I hung up.

So Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to tell me how I can set this up.

Thanks

Problem Solver

Re: PiP or PoP Setup

cag wrote:

With the old cable system, I was able to set up PiP and PoP by just using a spliter and running one output to cable box and one directly to TV.  This no longer seems to work.

I called XFinity Tech Support and when I asked about how to set up PiP with a Vizio TV that is capable of PiP or Pop the tech asked me "what is PiP".  I asked if there was another tech that I could talk too and he stated, "yes there is one sitting next to me and he doesnt know what PiP or PoP is."   That is when I hung up.

So Hopefully someone on this forum will be able to tell me how I can set this up.

Thanks

While your in the guide, hit the B button.  Its the blue square.  This will enable X1 Picture in Picture

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Ok, I know that but how can I watch on channel on the main screen and a different channel on the PiP?

Gold Problem Solver

cag,

PIP in the fashion you are thinking is pretty much history. X1 doesn't offer it and it is difficult to do because Comcast "scrambles" all of their channels now. As things stand at the moment, the only way to do it is have two cable boxes connected to the same TV.

Old Comcast boxes had the ability to do it, but it was actually activated and available to use in a handful of markets.

Comcast has never hinted or suggested they have any intention of adding PIP to the X1 boxes. In fact we were told a long time ago it may not even be technically possible. X1 simply uses and manages its tuners differently...

Sooooo sorry to tell you this but unless you are willing to put two cable boxes on the same TV, PIP is not gonna be available to you.

One thing that might work for you is put a rabbit ear or antenna on your TV. The antenna could be one picture box, the X1 box could be the other. If my TV had PIP capability that is what I would do... It would not be easy to control without a well programmed universal remote but it would work...

cag wrote:

Ok, I know that but how can I watch on channel on the main screen and a different channel on the PiP?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks Rick for an honest answer.  I find it hard to believe that Comcast could not of designed a box that would allow you to use a technology that has been around for over 20 years.  Maybe they need to hire some engineers that know what they are doing along with hiring some technicians that know what PiP and PoP is.   Pretty poor service.

Gold Problem Solver

In regards to X1, you will find the most accurate and up to date information in this forum. It should not be that way but it is.

Also, some very knowledgeable and helpful people hang out here...

cag wrote:

Thanks Rick for an honest answer.  I find it hard to believe that Comcast could not of designed a box that would allow you to use a technology that has been around for over 20 years.  Maybe they need to hire some engineers that know what they are doing along with hiring some technicians that know what PiP and PoP is.   Pretty poor service.

Official Employee

With the old cable system, I was able to set up PiP and PoP by just using a spliter and running one output to cable box and one directly to TV. This no longer seems to work.

Get yourself a DTA as the second signal to your TV.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

Good point Andrew. Crappy picture quality but a very good point.

ComcastAndrew wrote:
With the old cable system, I was able to set up PiP and PoP by just using a spliter and running one output to cable box and one directly to TV. This no longer seems to work.

Get yourself a DTA as the second signal to your TV.

Official Employee

Or an HD dta if it's available in your area

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Gold Problem Solver

It would not be easy to control but it might work depending upon the capabilities of the OP's TV...

ComcastAndrew wrote:
Or an HD dta if it's available in your area

Problem Solver

I have a pace HDta, the picture is wonderful!

Gold Problem Solver

But having two cable boxes connected to the same TV would be a control nightmare. If the OP used an antenna for one source and a cable box for the other source he might have a shot at controlling it fairly easily. It would take a fairly flexible universal remote to pull it off.

gotpizza wrote:

Service Expert

gotpizza wrote:

The only problem I have with my HDTA is that a lot of the channels are not available.  Especially the NASA channel.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation