Xfinity plant
Xfinity globe
Community Forum

PST Error

Frequent Visitor

PST Error

Since upgrading to the X1 service, I get the PST error at least once a month. Rebooting never solves the problem; however, it normally self-resolves within a few hours.

Unfortunately, my X1 box has been stuck on the PST error for over three days now. My internet and voice service are not affected.

Every time that I have had issues with my service in the past, be it with internet or TV, the source of the problem (and resolution) was outside of my house. The problems have always been systemic or resolved at a neighborhood node.

I am confident that this current issue is a problem outside my house, and I wish Comcast had some way of coming out and looking at the problem without having to schedule an in-home visit. My schedule is really busy, and I don't have time to schedule an appointment, especially every time something goes wrong (which is quite often with Comcast).

If I am going to take the time out of my schedule to book an appointment, it might as well be with Direct TV to set up new service. Before resorting to switching cable providers, can someone from Comcast please look at my account and tell me what my options are?
Gold Problem Solver

Re: PST Error

PST message error usually means the box is defective and needs to be replaced. You can replace it yourself or have a Comcast tech do it for you.

KippyK wrote:
Since upgrading to the X1 service, I get the PST error at least once a month. Rebooting never solves the problem; however, it normally self-resolves within a few hours.

Unfortunately, my X1 box has been stuck on the PST error for over three days now. My internet and voice service are not affected.

Every time that I have had issues with my service in the past, be it with internet or TV, the source of the problem (and resolution) was outside of my house. The problems have always been systemic or resolved at a neighborhood node.

I am confident that this current issue is a problem outside my house, and I wish Comcast had some way of coming out and looking at the problem without having to schedule an in-home visit. My schedule is really busy, and I don't have time to schedule an appointment, especially every time something goes wrong (which is quite often with Comcast).

If I am going to take the time out of my schedule to book an appointment, it might as well be with Direct TV to set up new service. Before resorting to switching cable providers, can someone from Comcast please look at my account and tell me what my options are?

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for the reply, Rick.

When I called support, I asked if it could be an issue with the box, and he said that was unlikely.

Can I go to my local Comcast office to pick up a new box to test without turning in the old box? I would like to confirm the box is the issue before returning my old box, as it has a ton of recordings that I was planning to watch.
Gold Problem Solver

Yes you can do that but they will charge you for both boxes as long as you have both.

If your current box cannot boot past the PST error message, the recordings on that box are not going to accessible. However that all depends upon if and when you activated Cloud DVR service. Your recordings should be stored on the cloud from the day you activated Cloud DVR service.

If you did not activate Cloud DVR service, your recordings are most likely lost.

FYI, in regards to fixing X1 problems over the phone, Comcast phone reps have very basic and limited capabilities. There is not much they can fix. Most X1 issues require an on-site tech to fix or a box replacement.

KippyK wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Rick.

When I called support, I asked if it could be an issue with the box, and he said that was unlikely.

Can I go to my local Comcast office to pick up a new box to test without turning in the old box? I would like to confirm the box is the issue before returning my old box, as it has a ton of recordings that I was planning to watch.

Frequent Visitor

Back in May, I waited six days to see if the PST error would self-resolve before breaking down and scheduling an in-home appointment. Low and behold, the morning of the appointment, several hours before the tech was due to show up, the problem resolved itself and I cancelled the appointment.

I do not believe in coincidences. In my opinion, someone finally looked at the problem and found the resolution systemically; hence, the resolution without needing to have anyone step foot in my home.

Fast forward to today: same X1 box, new problem. For the past five days, my cable box has been in a constant state of booting. The cable box says "boot" and the screen says "Welcome. Powering up. This may take a few minutes." After a while, the cable box will then say "cast," then "pst" with "Welcome to X1. Connecting to your entertainment experience.." on the screen before cycling back to "boot" and "Welcome. Powerig up..." message. The process just repeats itself as infinium.

I have power cycled the box and power cycled my signal amplifier to no avail.

Any ideas as to what can cause the endless boot cycle?

I would consider swapping out the box; however, I was told by a CSR that if I swap out the box and the problem persists, I will be billed $40 for a "failed X1 self-install" appointment.

It is worth noting that I often get intermittent PST errors and reboots; however, they are normally short-lived. Overall, it seems that the X1 platform and technology is much more prone to problems than the older technology.
Expert

KippyK wrote:
Back in May, I waited six days to see if the PST error would self-resolve before breaking down and scheduling an in-home appointment. Low and behold, the morning of the appointment, several hours before the tech was due to show up, the problem resolved itself and I cancelled the appointment.

I do not believe in coincidences. In my opinion, someone finally looked at the problem and found the resolution systemically; hence, the resolution without needing to have anyone step foot in my home.

Fast forward to today: same X1 box, new problem. For the past five days, my cable box has been in a constant state of booting. The cable box says "boot" and the screen says "Welcome. Powering up. This may take a few minutes." After a while, the cable box will then say "cast," then "pst" with "Welcome to X1. Connecting to your entertainment experience.." on the screen before cycling back to "boot" and "Welcome. Powerig up..." message. The process just repeats itself as infinium.

I have power cycled the box and power cycled my signal amplifier to no avail.

Any ideas as to what can cause the endless boot cycle?

I would consider swapping out the box; however, I was told by a CSR that if I swap out the box and the problem persists, I will be billed $40 for a "failed X1 self-install" appointment.

It is worth noting that I often get intermittent PST errors and reboots; however, they are normally short-lived. Overall, it seems that the X1 platform and technology is much more prone to problems than the older technology.

do you have another x1 set top box? If so, you can temporarily swap them and see if problem stays on outlet or moves with the box.

Frequent Visitor

No; unfortunately, I only have the one box.
Official Employee

Hi KippyK,  I am showing we had a technician out after you wrote in, were they able to get to get your cable services fully working?

Thank you