Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

Olympics in Atmos

Valued Contributor

Olympics in Atmos

Who's been watching the Olympics in 4k, HDR, and Atmos?  What are your thoughts so far?

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Re: Olympics in Atmos

I have watched some of the Olympics in 4K with HDR and the video is amazing!  The fast frame cameras they use and videotography is top notch.  On the Atmos side things are have not been successful.  I have a working Atmos setup (Yamaha RX-V1070) with a blueray player (Oppo U203) but when watching the Olympics in 4K that advertisies that it is being broadcasted in Atmos I can not get the receiver to seletect its Atmos mode. However the receiver does select its "Neural:X" mode which supposedly adds "acoustical space - including overhead" processing.  It still sounds excellent - although what material I watched didn't really challenge the set up.  

I can't wait for xfinity to broadcast in 4K on a regular basis.

Hope this helps

Problem Solver

@pcsilvia wrote:

I have watched some of the Olympics in 4K with HDR and the video is amazing!  The fast frame cameras they use and videotography is top notch.  On the Atmos side things are have not been successful.  I have a working Atmos setup (Yamaha RX-V1070) with a blueray player (Oppo U203) but when watching the Olympics in 4K that advertisies that it is being broadcasted in Atmos I can not get the receiver to seletect its Atmos mode. However the receiver does select its "Neural:X" mode which supposedly adds "acoustical space - including overhead" processing.  It still sounds excellent - although what material I watched didn't really challenge the set up.  

I can't wait for xfinity to broadcast in 4K on a regular basis.

Hope this helps

The television 4K equipment used at the Olympics is Japanese and S. Korean. And yes they did an exellent job. We still have a long wait for networks in our country to buy 4k equipment for use here in the U.S.A.

Frequent Visitor

A follow up to my last message.  I routed the HDMI directly from the XG1 box to the receiver, played with the receiver settings and was successful in getting ATMOS encoding to be decoded!  Sounds great and like I said last time the video with HDR makes for a perfect experience!

Good luck to all!  

I really wish that the XG1 box had more than one HDMI output or HDMI-and-optical-audio (with ATMOS encoding).  The one output is overly constraining.

Service Expert

@pcsilvia wrote:

A follow up to my last message.  I routed the HDMI directly from the XG1 box to the receiver, played with the receiver settings and was successful in getting ATMOS encoding to be decoded!  Sounds great and like I said last time the video with HDR makes for a perfect experience!

Good luck to all!  

I really wish that the XG1 box had more than one HDMI output or HDMI-and-optical-audio (with ATMOS encoding).  The one output is overly constraining.

Whenever I get my first 4k TV, I will make sure it has enough HDMI ports for my a/v receiver, my DVD player, and my 4k X1 box (when I get it).

These new TV's have more apps that it makes sense to make them the "entertainment hub".

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Mark an Answer!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

the amount of HDMI inputs is not an issue on the TV, Receiver or DVD player.  The issue is with the XG1 Set top box which has only a single HDMI ouput and no optical audio output.  This is crazy by today's standards.

Service Expert

@pcsilvia wrote:

the amount of HDMI inputs is not an issue on the TV, Receiver or DVD player.  The issue is with the XG1 Set top box which has only a single HDMI ouput and no optical audio output.  This is crazy by today's standards.

optical is a deprecated and limited technology. the audio path on HDMI allows for ATMOS (which is a text-like data stream) and advanced dolby features.

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

That's fine on the optical output - especially if optical can't pass ATMOS.  Then why not two HDMI outputs?  How many state of the art devices (4K, ATMOS, etc) have only one ?  None that I know of (or would buy).  

Service Expert

@pcsilvia wrote:

That's fine on the optical output - especially if optical can't pass ATMOS.  Then why not two HDMI outputs?  How many state of the art devices (4K, ATMOS, etc) have only one ?  None that I know of (or would buy).  

why would any device have more than one HDMI output? Easy to connect, video/audio on same cable.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Frequent Visitor

Easy answer - One for the TV and one for the Home Theatre ATMOS receiver.  I could route directly to the receiver then from the receiver to the TV but then can't integrate the CEC setting properly between all devices connected to the Receiver and also the TV (which I did try)

Special Events
FIFA World Cup 2018 on Xfinity See More
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation