New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Nightly Updates/Reboot of X1 Box

Posted by
Contributor

Message 1 of 10

Just self installed the new X1 DVR a few days ago.  Lots of nice features but we might have to send it back and reinstall our old Comcast Cisco DVR.

The deal breaker is the X1's nightly (i.e. early AM) updates and reboots.  My wife is a night owl because of health issues and almost all of her viewing is from early evening to sunrise.  These nighly updates interuppt any movie she is viewing and/or recording which is quite upsetting.

As a retired IT Professional, it is beyound me why any device needs to be updated daily, in place, no less on a real time basis.  Is the X1 box that crappy?  We thought the X1 DVR was a step forward.  Why not update the X1 in background and tell the customer with a screen reminder to reboot the box when convenient?

Is there any solution to this?  If not, most likely the X1 DVR is a flop - considering there are other (but not show stopper) issues with it like aspect ratio settings and non changeable fonts on the Guide.

9 REPLIES
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 2 of 10

There is no solution. However I have a theory about nightly reboots. I think they are tied directly to signal quality. The better your signal quality is the less they reboot. I think the more borderline your signals are, the more often X1 boxes reboot.

I notice my X1 boxes rebooting less than once per week if not less than that. But I am fortunate to have pristine signal levels.

Joep42 wrote:

Just self installed the new X1 DVR a few days ago.  Lots of nice features but we might have to send it back and reinstall our old Comcast Cisco DVR.

The deal breaker is the X1's nightly (i.e. early AM) updates and reboots.  My wife is a night owl because of health issues and almost all of her viewing is from early evening to sunrise.  These nighly updates interuppt any movie she is viewing and/or recording which is quite upsetting.

As a retired IT Professional, it is beyound me why any device needs to be updated daily, in place, no less on a real time basis.  Is the X1 box that crappy?  We thought the X1 DVR was a step forward.  Why not update the X1 in background and tell the customer with a screen reminder to reboot the box when convenient?

Is there any solution to this?  If not, most likely the X1 DVR is a flop - considering there are other (but not show stopper) issues with it like aspect ratio settings and non changeable fonts on the Guide.

Posted by
Silver Problem Solver

Message 3 of 10

I would bet that you just don't notice it, Rick. I'm also a night owl, but I'm usually not watching TV late at night, I'm usually playing Xbox or something else, but I do see the front LEDs of the box say BOOT and flash evey single night at varying times. (Don't forget you can check system uptime in the diagnostic menus to see if it reboots when you aren't looking)

My DVR does prompt me "time to reboot for updates, restart now or later?" on the off chance I am watching TV, but I've talked to others that say it doesn't show this prompt and just reboots. Perhaps Comcast can chime in here as to why not every box has this prompt?

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 4 of 10

The reboots are a way to reset the box in order to resolve software problems that occur on a daily basis. Some of the reboots are part of a code update, but most are to flush out problems that build up over time.

Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 5 of 10

When a reboot is scheduled to occur, there is an alert on screen that lets you say 'restart later'.

Posted by
Visitor
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 6 of 10

These reboots are a pain in the behind. It always happens when I'm trying to watch the news in the early morning before work usually 3am-4am. My question and hopefully somebody might know, can we change the time the updates take place? I wouldn't mind one bit if it occured an hour earlier or an hour later. That should be an option somewhere in the settings but I haven't been able to find anything. 

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 7 of 10
Not yet but hopefully soon

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon
Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 8 of 10

During the morning news, just now (It's the 6:00 hour here in MN) a window came up saying it was going to run a "daily update", takes about 10 minutes and will interrupt everything. It did give me the option to change the time. I changed it to between 2:00 - 4:00 a.m. so as not to bother me. I didn't know this update even existed and I have had Comcast for umpteen years! Rarely am I watching TV between those times, so I was grateful for the opportunity to change it. Anything before that or after that, I very likely could be. My TV is on pretty much constant between 5 a.m. until midnight, 1:00 so, it could happen that I run into this again.

Anyway, I wanted to let you know you can change the time, so give them a call if you still can't.

Posted by
Regular Visitor
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 9 of 10

What I want to know is why Comcast suddenly changed the times of these updates.  They used to occur between 2-4AM, now they happen after 7AM, while people are getting ready for work, watching/listening to the morning news, weather, and traffic reports.  My husband has the TV on while he is getting ready, but he LISTENS to it, does not have his eyeballs on it the whole time.  And by the time the reboot starts, it is too late to stop it.

I suppose that soon, they will be doing this during prime time shows.  Get up during a commercial to go to the bathroom or get a snack, and when you come back, the reboot has begun and you just have to wait.

I wish we could get our old cable boxes back.

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 10 of 10

cmurf1960 wrote:

What I want to know is why Comcast suddenly changed the times of these updates.  They used to occur between 2-4AM, now they happen after 7AM, while people are getting ready for work, watching/listening to the morning news, weather, and traffic reports.  My husband has the TV on while he is getting ready, but he LISTENS to it, does not have his eyeballs on it the whole time.  And by the time the reboot starts, it is too late to stop it.

I suppose that soon, they will be doing this during prime time shows.  Get up during a commercial to go to the bathroom or get a snack, and when you come back, the reboot has begun and you just have to wait.

I wish we could get our old cable boxes back.

Part of the latest update is the ability to choose from several different timeframes to reboot your boxes

Xfinty button to Gear symbol to Preferences to General and scroll down to Daily Update Time

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon