Welcome to Xfinity Help & Support Forums
Find solutions, share knowledge, and get answers from customers and experts

New to the Community? Start here.

members

topics

New X1 STB Wont set up ComcastAndrew can you help?

ANSWERED
Frequent Visitor

New X1 STB Wont set up ComcastAndrew can you help?

Ok here are the details:

I got 2 new x1 boxes today. One works, one never finishes setup. Both were labeled "Primary" on their boxes.

I called tech support. They were great but had to schedule a tech and that wont occur for a few days. The tech was very helpful and did state that the internet modem inside the x1 box would not communicate but the cable side shows it online.

I feel that a factory reset would fix my situation and I know ComcastAndrew has done some amazing work via private message before.

Here is what I have tried:

Once I got one of the boxes working I tried moving the one that does not work to the working box's location. That made no difference. I do not know if that totally eliminates a connection issue but I know the signal is strong. This cable run comes off of the main splitter. It is a high quality splitter.

The box that is working is on another run coming from this splitter, that goes into another splitter with my cable modem.

Ill attach a diagram

If you can assist me via pm that would be great. Id love to be able to call off the tech and not have to go anywhere.                     

Accepted Solution

Re: New X1 STB Wont set up ComcastAndrew can you help?

Got a new x1 box

Works like a charm, booted up first time.

Service call cancelled.

Thank you all for your help.

View answer in context
x1.jpg
Silver Problem Solver

Re: New X1 STB Wont set up ComcastAndew can you help?

Try this: Your first 2 way split should be one side to the modem, the other side to everything else.

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately that cannot be reconfigured without tearing out a wall.

Silver Problem Solver

Let me rephrase. It is critical that the first split must be one side to the modem, the other side to everything else.

Frequent Visitor

Are you saying that the modem must exist on its own run from the main splitnd no other devices can exist on that line? I must be confused.

Im not sure why this would be the problem, my house has been wired this way for years and I have had zero issues. The tech on the phone also said this setup was fine and they could see the new x1 trying to communicate.

I just powered on the old dvr box in the room where the non-working x1 was and it works just fine.

Frequent Visitor

Is there a way to reset the x1 back to factory defaults after an unsuccessful configuration. I would like to make sure that it is not holding on to old information from a previous customer or something strange.

Frequent Visitor

I have also moved the non working x1 to the location where the working x1 is and I still get the same problem.

Silver Problem Solver

It is highly recommended the the first split be two way, with one side to the modem. Very important if you have an amp.

The X1 system has its own requirements, and can be very fussy. I think the way you have it could be causing issues.

I do not have the X1, so I will let someone who does chime in.

Silver Problem Solver

On a side note, it is never a good idea to seal splitters, or any connection inside a wall. They should be accessable for replacement or reconfiguration.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you for your help.

I can confirm that both splits are bi-directional

I do not have an amp installed.

Frequent Visitor

The splitter itself is not sealed in the wall, I should have been more clear on that.

The run that comes in to the living room has the second split on it. I needed a splitter there because that is the location of the modem and one of the dvrs. In order to get each device its own run I would have to tear out the custom enclosure and drill a larger hole through the floor below. At the time, the splitter seemed like the best idea Smiley Happy

Frequent Visitor

Here is the link to the splitters that I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/BAMF-2-Way-Splitter-Bi-Directional-5-2300MHz/dp/B011DW6NUE

one is a 2 way and one is a 3 way, both bi-directional

Frequent Visitor

I just remembered something else that may be helpful.

I dont know why I did this but I had the ethernet port on the non-working x1connected to my LAN on the modem when I tried initial set up.

I dont know if that has anything to do with it buti did not do the same on the other x1 and it is working.

Frequent Visitor

I'm going to take this one back to my local comcast office tomorrow. Maybe they will swap it out for me.

If that does not work then at least the tech can eliminate that part when they get here monday morning.

Gold Problem Solver

Glad you are trying to fix this on your own. I respect "do it yourself" type of people because I am one of those.

However I think your issues might be beyond your capabilities to fix on your own and you probably need the tech visit you have scheduled.

jcs82379 wrote:

I'm going to take this one back to my local comcast office tomorrow. Maybe they will swap it out for me.

If that does not work then at least the tech can eliminate that part when they get here monday morning.

Frequent Visitor

Im leaning that way as well.

Official Employee

barbie123 wrote:

Let me rephrase. It is critical that the first split must be one side to the modem, the other side to everything else.

It isn't "critical" for the first split to be one side of modem, as long as signal levels are in spec. Sometimes it just isn't possible.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark a Best Answer!solution Icon

Official Employee

jcs82379 wrote:

Ok here are the details:

I got 2 new x1 boxes today. One works, one never finishes setup. Both were labeled "Primary" on their boxes.

I called tech support. They were great but had to schedule a tech and that wont occur for a few days. The tech was very helpful and did state that the internet modem inside the x1 box would not communicate but the cable side shows it online.

I feel that a factory reset would fix my situation and I know ComcastAndrew has done some amazing work via private message before.

Here is what I have tried:

Once I got one of the boxes working I tried moving the one that does not work to the working box's location. That made no difference. I do not know if that totally eliminates a connection issue but I know the signal is strong. This cable run comes off of the main splitter. It is a high quality splitter.

The box that is working is on another run coming from this splitter, that goes into another splitter with my cable modem.

Ill attach a diagram

If you can assist me via pm that would be great. Id love to be able to call off the tech and not have to go anywhere.                     

A factory reset isn't going to help with any connection. You've already done the troubleshooting I would have suggested. It sounds like a bad dvr. Your modem and dvr are within spec. 

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you. I will return the dvr this morning and hopefully they have a replacement available.

Thanks for the info.

Frequent Visitor

Got a new x1 box

Service call cancelled.

Official Employee

jcs82379 wrote:

Got a new x1 box

Service call cancelled.

Great, all equipment is well within all specs.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.

Forums Tips and Tricks:
Tagging Posts... See More
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation