members

online now

discussions

Netflix on X1

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 50 of 463

That being said....

I still do not understand why people care about Comcast offering Netflix, especially considering Comcast does not have 4K. Currently, I have seven other ways I can watch Netflix in my house (not counting computers or portables) and two of them are 4K capable.

I think more education is needed on this issue.... People seem to be missing something...

snosailor wrote:

thx so much for the ans. looking forward to the addition.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 51 of 463

RickGr4 wrote:

That being said....

I still do not understand why people care about Comcast offering Netflix,

I have 3 other ways to watch it on my TV also (2 of them in 4K), plus, of course, the computers and tablets/phones.  Can't beat the convenience of just loading an app, though, compared to switching inputs on the AVR and/or TV and finding the remote for the device that you watch Netflix through.

It'd make life easier for my wife. ;-)

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
New Poster
  • Congrats on Posting your first topic!

Message 52 of 463

When is netflix app coming

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 53 of 463

lfsgr8 wrote:

When is netflix app coming

Comcast announced that this App would be available later this year.  Until Comcast makes an official press announcement, a firm date will not be found or known.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee, I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee. I am a paying customer just like you!
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.

Community Icon
I am not a Comcast employee.

Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Posted by
New Poster
  • Thank you contributor for your first reply to the community!
 Posting replies is the best way to get involved.

Message 54 of 463

I just joined Netflix and apparently there is no way to stream to my TV?  All I have is my xfinity box.  Xfinity doesnt allow Netflix?

This could be the shortest membership ever!  Please don't tell me to buy any device to stream through as I am not doing thatSmiley Happy

I just want to know if I can watch on my TV, and no it is NOT a smart TV

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 55 of 463
There isn't an app yet, possibly later this year.

You will need access to Netflix through a 3rd party device.

Community Icon
I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
I am an Offical Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Posted by
Bronze Problem Solver

Message 56 of 463

Do you have a Blu-ray or DVD player?  Many of those can stream, including Netflix.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 57 of 463

ComcastAndrew wrote:

ComcastAndrew, This is a perfect example of why so many people get so frustrated with Comcast. A couple of months ago, they said that Netflix will be available on X1 later this year. Not could be, but will be. Now we have an official Comcast representative saying that it could be available this year. They said that an HDR capable settop box would be out in time for the Olympics. Still hasn't happened. In April, they said that an app for Roku would be out this fall. Yet to be seen, although given Comcast's track record it's not likely to happen as promised. DOCSIS 3.1 is scheduled to be launched in my area later on this year. Given Comcast's track record it's not likely to happen, either. One broken promise after another...

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 58 of 463

egnlsn wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

ComcastAndrew, This is a perfect example of why so many people get so frustrated with Comcast. A couple of months ago, they said that Netflix will be available on X1 later this year. Not could be, but will be. Now we have an official Comcast representative saying that it could be available this year. They said that an HDR capable settop box would be out in time for the Olympics. Still hasn't happened. In April, they said that an app for Roku would be out this fall. Yet to be seen, although given Comcast's track record it's not likely to happen as promised. DOCSIS 3.1 is scheduled to be launched in my area later on this year. Given Comcast's track record it's not likely to happen, either. One broken promise after another...

I'm just a customer like you. I use the chromecast device with my iphone and yes I look forward to testing the comcast 'app' for netflix, too. However, I do realize that having access to netflix through the app is still metered against my one TB limit. The benefit to a chromecast device though is much more than netflix probably 100s more apps now use chromecast. Are you expecting some big benefit to using the app on netflix via the x1 devices?

Community Icon
I am an XFINITY Forum Expert and I am here to help. For information on the program click here.
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 59 of 463

egnlsn wrote:

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Im not sure what your response has to do with the OP's question. Any concerns on products/features that haven't been developed/released yet use 1 800 Comcast and voice your opinions. It's hard to comment on releases scheduled for later in the year that haven't happened yet. The Xi5 that has HDR is slowly being rolled out.

Community Icon
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 60 of 463
The benefit of not having to change inputs on the TV and/or AVR. The benefit of not having to grab the other remote for whatever streaming device might be used. Some advantages of utilizing streaming devices are Dolby Digital audio and 4k (if the device supports it), not to mention that it opens up a whole new world of viewing.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 61 of 463
I guess really the only thing my comments had to do with the OP go towards his comment that because he can't watch Netflix on Xfinity "this just might be the shortest membership ever." Had Comcast's original statement of "will be later this year" still been the case, that customer just may have been satisfied with that. But since it's now "could be this year," he's more likely to find that unacceptable. That's no reflection on you, Andrew. You do an excellent job, trying to do the best you can with what you have to work with; and I really do give you a tip of my hat.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 62 of 463

I am currently watching Orange is the New Black in 4K UHD on my Roku 4 using Netflix...................

I choose not to wait for Comcast to catch up. I will simply work around them...............

If the 4K UHD Sampler app is any indication about where Comcast is at with 4K and HDR, they have a long way to go.

In regards to the original poster, if I recall the unofficial announcement Comcast made about Netflix said early next year...

You may want to reconsider your thoughts about buying a 3rd party device if you are serious about watching Netflix

anytime soon. Roku boxes are very affordable and they have far less "issues" than X1 boxes do.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 63 of 463
When will Netflix be available on x1? They said later this year but havent heard anything since july
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 64 of 463

Bu2 wrote:
When will Netflix be available on x1? They said later this year but havent heard anything since july

no firm date has been announced officially.  Comcast came to an agreement to carry as an app a few months ago. watch the twitter feed @comcast for news announcements.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 65 of 463
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 66 of 463

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/netflix-on-comcast-beta

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 67 of 463
Beware that when accessing Netflix on the X1 that all viewing will count against your Internet Data Usage.
Comcast should follow ATT's lead by giving unlimited data at no charge to all customers who subscribe to both TV and Internet.
Comcast stands to make alot of money on data overage fees by this seemless integration of Netflix onto the X1 platform.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 69 of 463
Beware that when accessing Netflix on the X1 that all viewing will count against your Internet Data Usage.
Comcast should follow ATT's lead by giving unlimited data at no charge to all customers who subscribe to both TV and Internet.
Comcast stands to make alot of money on data overage fees by this seemless integration of Netflix onto the X1 platform.
Posted by
New Poster

Message 70 of 463

when will netflix be available

Posted by
New Poster

Message 71 of 463
Agreed, this goes in line with Comcast bringing back data caps. Once they publish the app on X1, guaranteed you will start to see the data cap beta expand quickly and it will cost you $30 more a month for the "unlimited plan" just to binge watch Netflix. Awesome how they will get away with charging Netflix QOS priority and consumers again to go above their 450 or 650gb monthly data limits. Nothing like double dipping.
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 72 of 463

Blunj wrote:
Agreed, this goes in line with Comcast bringing back data caps. Once they publish the app on X1, guaranteed you will start to see the data cap beta expand quickly and it will cost you $30 more a month for the "unlimited plan" just to binge watch Netflix. Awesome how they will get away with charging Netflix QOS priority and consumers again to go above their 450 or 650gb monthly data limits. Nothing like double dipping.

You do know that you have 1TB monthly to play with. 

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Contributor
Contributor

Message 73 of 463

Great news.  Can I volunteer for the Beta test??  -Smiley Happy

Posted by
Administrator

Message 74 of 463

WB6 wrote:

Great news.  Can I volunteer for the Beta test??  -Smiley Happy

We are not taking sign-ups, but the beta will go out to X1 customers over next few weeks. Just keep an eye out on the X1 Labs section. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 75 of 463

RickGr4 wrote:

That being said....

I still do not understand why people care about Comcast offering Netflix, especially considering Comcast does not have 4K. Currently, I have seven other ways I can watch Netflix in my house (not counting computers or portables) and two of them are 4K capable.

I think more education is needed on this issue.... People seem to be missing something...

snosailor wrote:

thx so much for the ans. looking forward to the addition.

Rick, I can see why some will use the app; I have three older TV's that do not have the app.  So, it will be easier for my family to access Netflix with the app.  I've even resorted to buying cheap DVD players with the app so they have access to Netflix.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 76 of 463
Why is it that when I watch Netflix on my X1 box the picture shows in a small box. The Netflix guide shows in full screen but the selected program shows in a small box to the top left side of the screen
Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 77 of 463

How are you watching Netflix on your X1 box? Netflix is not available on X1... at least not yet.

AWZ wrote:
Why is it that when I watch Netflix on my X1 box the picture shows in a small box. The Netflix guide shows in full screen but the selected program shows in a small box to the top left side of the screen

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 78 of 463

AWZ wrote:

It could be an issue with the setting in your TV.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 79 of 463

I have the beta version.

Posted by
New Poster

Message 80 of 463

That is what I thought initially so I checked the settings on the box and t.v.when I watch on my iPad it's fine

Posted by
New Poster

Message 81 of 463
What's the policy for this program and how much would it cost for me to be able to use it
Posted by
Problem Solver

Message 82 of 463

Comcast won't be (shouldn't) charging you to use Netflix, but you would still have to be a Netflix subscriber to use the app regardless of what you are streaming it on. Using Netflix will still use data, and count against any internet data usage (if you are in one of the markets with data limits, presently 1 Terrabyte).

stephhensnichol wrote:
What's the policy for this program and how much would it cost for me to be able to use it
Posted by
Official Employee

Message 83 of 463

stephhensnichol wrote:

From what I understand if you presently have a Netflix account, how you pay for it won't change. But if you don't have a Netflix account you will have the option to open an account and be billed through Comcast ( same cost).

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

Message 84 of 463
Someone needs to inform 1800 Comcast customer service about this. I called a few weeks ago and was told Comcast has no tech support for Netflix app. I asked when it would be updated on X1 they had no information you'll need to call them. Called Netflix they said yes you'll be getting it but any other information Comcast will have to answer. Great this should really be interesting going forward.
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 85 of 463

Nomoreupsales wrote:
Someone needs to inform 1800 Comcast customer service about this. I called a few weeks ago and was told Comcast has no tech support for Netflix app. I asked when it would be updated on X1 they had no information you'll need to call them. Called Netflix they said yes you'll be getting it but any other information Comcast will have to answer. Great this should really be interesting going forward.

Did you read this?

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/netflix-on-comcast-beta

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor

Message 86 of 463

Has anyone received he Netflix Beta test yet in Comcast Labs? 

I'm still waiting..hopefully not too much longer..

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 87 of 463

threecount wrote:

from previous posts it will be an app not sure if it will have to be turned on in comcast labs. I wonder how they are going to handle parental controls.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Frequent Visitor
  • Congratulations on receiving your first Kudos! Thank you for your meaningful contribution to the forum. May this be the first of many kudos.
  • You have posted 5 replies to the community. Thank you for keeping the conversations going!

Message 88 of 463

Anyone have an idea when this will be rolled out in ZIP 20194?  Beta and regular?

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 89 of 463

Anyone have an idea when this will be rolled out in ZIP 20194? Beta and regular?

There are no announced dates or locations

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 90 of 463

Just curious, will Netflix be 1080p? If that's the case, it will actually be better than Xfinity service on the same box.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 91 of 463

jth182 wrote:

Just curious, will Netflix be 1080p? If that's the case, it will actually be better than Xfinity service on the same box.

picture detail for 1080i/1080p streams have the exact same detail. since it is an app, it is likely in mpeg2 or mpeg4 format. will be great to see what kind of pic it has. I get HD from my chromecast when I cast to the tv now but it isn't as easy to use as being able to search within the x1 menu system.

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 92 of 463

Rustyben wrote:

jth182 wrote:

picture detail for 1080i/1080p streams have the exact same detail. since it is an app, it is likely in mpeg2 or mpeg4 format. will be great to see what kind of pic it has. I get HD from my chromecast when I cast to the tv now but it isn't as easy to use as being able to search within the x1 menu system.

Except that Comcast is now beginning to down scale their service to 720p, so Netflix at 1080p will be much better.

Posted by
Gold Problem Solver

Message 93 of 463

We don't know enough about this yet. It's all guess work and speculation at this point.

While people wait for Comcast to catch up, I will enjoy watching 4K Netflix programming on my TV's Smart Apps and my Roku 4....

jth182 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

jth182 wrote:

Except that Comcast is now beginning to down scale their service to 720p, so Netflix at 1080p will be much better.

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 94 of 463

RickGr4 wrote:

We don't know enough about this yet. It's all guess work and speculation at this point.

While people wait for Comcast to catch up, I will enjoy watching 4K Netflix programming on my TV's Smart Apps and my Roku 4....

jth182 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

jth182 wrote:

not sure that part about changing to 720p is accurate at all either. A cable provider can't reduce the picture detail of the HD (if you pay for HD) without written permission from the provider/broadcast network. 

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
Official Employee

Message 95 of 463

Rustyben wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

jth182 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

jth182 wrote:

not sure that part about changing to 720p is accurate at all either. A cable provider can't reduce the picture detail of the HD (if you pay for HD) without written permission from the provider/broadcast network. 

Rustyben, jth182, there are already multiple threads on resolution, save this thread for Netflix questions.

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon
I am a Comcast Employee.
Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 96 of 463

ComcastAndrew wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

RickGr4 wrote:

jth182 wrote:

Rustyben wrote:

jth182 wrote:

Rustyben, jth182, there are already multiple threads on resolution, save this thread for Netflix questions.

My original question was about the Netflix app.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Message 97 of 463

threecount wrote:

Apparently AWZ has it. It showed up in my Comcast Labs last night but says "Coming soon" so not yet usable for me. 

Posted by
Service Expert

Message 98 of 463

deleted

Community Icon
Community Icon
Community Icon

Posted by
New Poster

Message 99 of 463
Do you need a Netflix account?
Posted by
Service Expert

Message 100 of 463

cvislocky wrote:
Do you need a Netflix account?

Yes, you will need your own Netflix account in order to use this feature.

Community Icon

Community Icon

Community Icon