New to the Community? Start here.

members

online now

discussions

Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Netflix Ultra HD (UHD) 4K programming on Xfinity X1

Tundra,

If you asking me, I have high end Audioquest HDMI cables. I also have a new Marantz 4K capable audio video receiver, all connected with Audioquest cables.
Problem Solver

I meant the reply for LeeSoFL.

I know you are set up right, Rick.

Regular Contributor

MN, new TV with the latest and greatest Smiley Happy cables, up to 18Gbps bandwidth.

Regular Contributor

I know it's going to come off as glib, but I'm able to get full 4K @ 16Mbps Netflix from 1) Sony 4K player, 2) Roku Ultra and 3) Sony Z9D on-board application.

The only device not successfully passing a Netflix 4K (resolution) signal is the XG1 v4 box.  But, as I said before, the X1's Netflix app is showing the menu bar and 4K title cards for Ultra 4K.  This 4K menu would not show up if it the box was not getting the app.  Speed at 6Mbps is the issue.

Gold Problem Solver

Lee,

I believe I answered this in my earlier post. I believe the Comcast is at 6 and Netflix is at 18 is because Netflix has HDR signal available.
Regular Contributor

The displayed resolution would be 3840x2160 at 6000 kbps if that was the case.  This is not a 4K image, be it HDR, (which I get on the three other devices) at a faster bitrate or not.

The resolution of the Comcast 4K box is not going past 1080!

Gold Problem Solver

Lee,

How are you determining the connection speed of the X1 box? My XG1V4 does not offer the "info" screen when watching Netflix like my new Sony 4K Blu-ray player does. I don't see how you are testing the Netflix connection speed of your X1 box. How are you verifying that your X1 box is not going past 1080. Mine is.

In case you did not notice the Netflix guide "samples" the connection speed to determine the best resolution. The picture won't be at it's best for three to five minutes. My Sony Blu-ray player reports a Netflix connection speed of 15.26 after a couple of minutes and yes the picture jumps to 2160 when the box passes 6 connection speed.

Also, I have found that the Netflix guide appears to be extremely fussy. Sometimes it offers me 4K programs, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it offers me HDR, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it offers me Dolby Digital Plus audio, sometimes it doesn't. My question is this: if you have multiple devices on your Netflix account (I do) how does the Netflix guide know which device you are using unless you reboot the device?

I have found that if Netflix is not behaving the way you expect, the Netflix device needs to be unplugged and rebooted so the Netflix guide can re-evaluate the system being used. Today I verified that on a Samsung Q-LED TV in my showroom.

LeeSoFL wrote:

The displayed resolution would be 3840x2160 at 6000 kbps if that was the case.  This is not a 4K image, be it HDR, (which I get on the three other devices) at a faster bitrate or not.

The resolution of the Comcast 4K box is not going past 1080!

Regular Contributor

Rick- There are a dozen "TEST PATTERN" programs on Netflix that carry the RESOLUTION and STREAM SPEED imbedded in the image.  Images posted in the Comcast 90 degree format below. 

Comcast's X1 4K Netflix app shows 1080 at only 5800kbps. 

All my other devices show 4K 2160 at 16000 kbps (16Mpbs)Comcast's 4K   ;) 1080 speedComcast's 4K Smiley Wink 1080 speedSony TV 4K app at 16M 2160Sony TV 4K app at 16M 2160Sony TV internal res displaySony TV internal res display

My guide on Netflix has been rock solid!  If it's in 4K it says ULTRA HD menu bar.  If it's in HDR is clearly specifies that.  

Appreciate the help, but you're adding red herrings all over the place.

Regular Contributor

The 4K guide (Ultra HD) menu bar only shows up if the device is 4K.  Otherwise it is not among the selected "my list, because you watched" etc.

Gold Problem Solver

I have seen the Netflix test patterns but I have not played with them. I will try to verify what the Netflix resolution is on Comcast but I am very sure it's providing 4K when a 4K program is selected.

I think you missed part of my point. On occasion I can fire up Netflix and the 4K menu bar is missing even though I am using a 4K device. But a quick power cycle fixes it.

I am guessing I have quite a few more devices on my Netflix account (some 4K and some 1080p) than you do which would explain why the Netflix guide attempts to "sample" the connected AV system every time you fire it up. In my case this "sampling" process is not always correct but a reboot fixes it. I had that happen last night with my XG1V4.
Regular Contributor

thanksthanks

Frequent Visitor

I was able get 4K 16000kbps on the test pattern last night at around 10:30pm, however earlier in the evening the best it would do was 1080P 5800kbps.  I'm not sure if there is network optimization (a.k.a. throttling) happening during peak hours or if it's just network congestion but I can confirm the box is capable of 16M 4k Netflix. 

Regular Contributor

Yes, here too.  This morning it was at 16Mbps @ 2160.  Going to keep an eye on it to see if it wiggles around.  

I was told by rep "I'm the best part of Comcast," to which I said "I AM!"  

Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

ComcastJessie wrote:

All,

To answer a few of your questions, as of now, the only 4K content that is available from Comcast is Netflix programming. Whatever definition they decide to provide for their programming is what we will pass along to our customers. Remember, in order to receive this new 4K content you must meet the following qualifications:

• You must be an XFINITY X1 customer
  • You must have a Netflix Premium subscription that includes their 4K programming
  • You must have a compatible 4K television
  • You must have XFINITY's XG1v4 4K set top box

Things to note:

• Netflix recommends an Internet connection speed of at least 25 Mbps to stream 4K titles
  • If a movie or show is available in 4K, and you meet all the above qualifications, the default playback will be in 4K. 

I hope this answers your questions. If you need anything else of have any further questions please don't hesitate to let us know here. 

I've had the XG1v4 for a coupe of months but just got a 4k tv tonight. When I hooked it up the v4 immediately recognised the 4k tv and offered 2160p30 UHD ( previously 1080p60 was the highest ). I also have a 4k Netflix subscription. When I stream on my ps4 or the tv's native app I get offered 4k, it says 'HDR', but the same shows on the X1's Netflix app only says 'HD'. I rebooted and refreshed and no change. It is rooted through a receiver but it's 4k capable and the XG1v4 had no trouble recognising the 4k display in the video settings so I don't think thats the issue.

Gold Problem Solver

I finally decided to run this test on my main system with the new XG1V4 box. It popped right up to 16000mbps (4k) right away AFTER I POWER CYCLED MY X1 BOX...!!!

The Netflix guide appears to run a diagnostic process every time we start Netflix. It analyzes our connected system and the quality of our network connection.

The problem is.... I have found the Netflix guide is not always accurate and often requires a reboot in order to properly detect the connected system. As I write this I am watching Grace and Frankie on Netflix in 4K along with Dolby Digital Plus audio.

But I had to power cycle my X1 box to get to this point...

PS. One of the very nice aspects of the new XG1V4 box is that it power cycles and reboots MUCH faster than previous X1 boxes.

Regular Contributor

cldlhd - Comcast's 4K Netflix app does not support HDR (yet.)

The HDR I receive is from the Sony TV app (and also from the Roku Ultra.)  The Sony Z9 changes to different settings (as long as Extended option is selected) for HDR.  

Gold Problem Solver

Yes, I have no problem with HDR when I use my Roku Ultra or my Sony 4K Blu-ray player....

Comcast is behind on this issue...
Regular Contributor

Off the Comcast aspect of the forum for a second:

HDR picture quality is generally excellent.  

On "The Punisher," there was occasional open-captioning, and the level of the caption was painfully bright. 

More importantly, there are "blowouts" where any type of table lamp, neon sign or overhead fluorescent light is overly pronounced and looks like it's ready to catch on fire! It also seems to present this over emphasized luminance in shots where there is a bright daylight background.